DiecastXchange Forum banner

Collection Focus

15K views 82 replies 51 participants last post by  shim 
#1 ·
Hi DX,

I'm sure the regulars here have noticed I've been clearing out a lot of models and doing everything to get my collection extremely focused. In my efforts I have run into a little snag. In short, I only collect 1:18 cars that are 1987 or newer, must be street legal, no "fantasy colors" and no concept cars. Sports cars and exotics only.

The following vehicles are in my collection and while I love them I'm starting to think about selling them to purchase other models that I'm in interested in and fit my parameters.

AUTOart Diablo GTR Orange
Hot Wheels Ferrari F355 Challenge #7
Hot Wheels Elite Ferrari F40 Competizione #34
Hot Wheels Elite Ferrari 458 Italia 458 GT2 Presentation Version

I'm thinking maybe I should relax with the selling before I make an expensive mistake ie: sell a model I love and then purchasing it again at 3 times the price. How strict are you guys with this? I believe it keeps my collection tidy, at a manageable size and my spending habits in check. Also, I don't buy everything just because it fits in my parameters. If I'm not in love with the car it's not in my collection. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about this.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
I exactly did the same as you man. I sold all my roadcars like CLK DTM coupe, CL55 amg, 760 iL, etc.. and just focus on exotics and high endurance race cars. Of course there are exceptions to the rule as in the case of the 300SLR, porsche carrera RS 2.7 and the M3 CSL which I really like a lot I don't see them go away from my collection. The one car I regret that I sold was the Diablo GTR you mention... nowadays is really rare & expensive. The other HWE I think you can sell them and got good profit. Specially if you want to make space and they are not so special to you.

#3 ·
I have made the mistake a few times over the Years.When you lose a lot of money it does focus your mind for what you get in future.I went through a faze of trying to get all and every model but when you have too many models something has to give.The hardest part is keeping focused on getting what you originally said you was going to get because another nice one comes out and then BAM you are back in the old rut of what you were trying to avoid.Stick to what you say you are going to do with your collection.

#4 ·
I also do not collect Concept cars, Hence I did not get the PMA 918, since it was the concept (and a lousy model). I DO collect unliveried racing and endurance type cars. I would keep that Diablo and Italia for sure. It is ok to break rank on your collecting habits for a car you really like and a very good model. As far as 1987 I am similar although I go back to about 1977. I also want my cars based on real cars (especially my muscle cars). It is always neat to go to a car show and see a car in real life that I have a model of. I would say sell the other 2 HWE models and keep the Italia and Lambo. Meet in the middle.

#5 ·
The Italia GT2 is a phenomenal model, especially for the money and the AUTOart Diablo GTR is impossible to find at a reasonable price. I bought mine for $10 at a garage sale! (no box, missing passenger side mirror, fixed mirror) My girlfriend thought I was crazy when I told her I was thinking of selling it and the Italia. The F40 is near and dear to my heart, so it's tough to let #34 go and it only fetches about $60 on ebay auctions. The F355 is a great model and haven't seen it for sale for a while. I wonder what it would fetch. Choices

#7 ·
I never really thought about space cause I only have 70 models and I live at home in my tiny bedroom still. When I move out, I don't intend to limit the number, but my collection is naturally limited by my preferences. I don't like resin models, I only like sports cars and race cars. I don't buy non-sports cars (ie luxury and SUVs), and my wish list has about 250-300 models, which I think is realistic. I also don't buy cars that I may regularly see on the road (example - BMW M3), as I get bored with them very quickly. I also don't buy multiple colours cause I'd rather have something different than two of the same thing. I think once I lose my interest in a model and sell it, I don't ever regret it, so if that happened to you, sell it and don't worry about anything. Your collection should always make sense to you and be relevant.

#8 ·
I agree with you TSM. I forgot to mention that I do not buy duplicates. The Kyosho F40 street is the only one I have because I got a killer deal on the yellow one. I was going to sell it, but it looks too damn good. I've never sold off as many models as I have in the last month, but I like keeping things super focused with quality pieces. The size of my collection doesn't matter to me. I'm all about the quality.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've let go of models and regret it just because I wanted to "focus" my collection.

I've come to the realization that I want to own models of cars I love. That is my focus.

I say keep the models.

#14 ·
My collecting focus is very narrow (I'm glad to say) covering post-WW II Le Mans (Mille Miglia, Sebring, etc) up to 1955. Specifically I'm fascinated with 1949-54. Strangely I'm not interested in the winners!

That leads to a question. My theme is not very popular with us Americans and I have to look far and wide to find items. In Europe, naturally, many of the models I salivate over are available. Has anyone dealt with European dealers? What's your experience if you've dealt with them? Any input would be appreciated.

#15 ·
My collecting focus is very narrow (I'm glad to say) covering post-WW II Le Mans (Mille Miglia, Sebring, etc) up to 1955. Specifically I'm fascinated with 1949-54. Strangely I'm not interested in the winners!

That leads to a question. My theme is not very popular with us Americans and I have to look far and wide to find items. In Europe, naturally, many of the models I salivate over are available. Has anyone dealt with European dealers? What's your experience if you've dealt with them? Any input would be appreciated.
Then Bizarre's offerings are definitely right for you! It sounds like we collect the same thing... only, I like to collect the winners along with the misfits.

#16 ·
I don't have a very-narrow focus like some of the members here, but for some reason I very much prefer road cars over their street variants. Fantasy colors don't bother me, but I'm not a fan of most liveries. In fact, I don't think I have a single model with a racing livery in my 102 1:18s. I buy what I like, plain and simple. I have supercars ranging from the 1980s to present, old JDM like the 1990 NSX to the 2014 BRZ, muscle cars, luxury cars like the Phantom and the Ghost and some older cars like the DB5, D-type and 300SL. Basically, if a car catches my eye and I feel like it has a certain "x factor" as Jeremy would say, then I'm interested in it.

#17 ·
Interesting thread. :)

My collection is already quite focused (BMW and some derivatives - RR, Morgan Aero 8, Mini etc) so that's quite limiting anyway. But even that can cost of a lot of ££ especially if you're the type of person who has to buy every colour of every model and every livery.

Luckily I'm not bothered about the 'base models' very much (for example base 330/550 saloon etc) and only really stick to the fancy stuff (M models, racecars). Moreover I'll only buy liveries I actually like rather having to have every one just to complete the set.

There are probably 10 or so models from the past I'd consider adding so I do see a light at the end of the tunnel in terms of 'completing' my collection.

#18 ·
All very interesting answers and the whole point of my initial post. Personally, I don't think my collection will have an "end". Rather, it will continue to keep evolving as new cars are produced and my tastes change.

This website is a great supplement to that love.

#22 ·
I try to focus my 1:18 collection on rally cars but didn't and a few road cars have slipped in.
Now I have far too many 1:18s and am considering narrowing down rally cars from 1978 to 2002 with a concentration on group B 1983-1986 rally cars.
I also collect 1/12 road cars but only very occasionally get those due to expense.

I also collect Motorbikes/choppers in 1:12 1:10 1:6 scale too and macross transforming aircraft robots at 1/60 scale
Manga chicks at any scale and a occasional threea/threezero robot models Which is another story..........

OCD anyone?

#23 ·
I started my focus on classics pre 1980 but pretty soon ran out of stuff to buy (I try to only buy the good stuff) I had to expand into 1980's up to current but only supercars and some rare models that I like. Have got an awesome collection now of about 200 1:18 models and would not want to sell any of them. The trick is to not be tempted to buy the cheapies since these are generally not worth anything and are generally lousy models. I once bought a Revell BMW850i on eBayjust to have in my BMW collection. Boy was that a mistake. I gave it to my nephew to play with, that's all it was good for. Now if there isn't a decent brand making the model I like I rather go without.

#24 ·
Interesting thread. and great insights relation to collection. i just add the models that i like or it pleases my eye. And it should carry that X Factor to it.

I don't know how you people send your models. i am just unable to part away with any of my models. i just cant sell them...

#25 ·
I've been collecting the Le Mans winners from the late 1970's onwards, but to be honest some of the cars don't interest me at all, like the 2004 & 2005 Audi's etc, they are quite boring. I am considering downsizing, the thing is I can't just sell those. I'd have to sell all of the ones that don't mean so much to me, like the 1999 BMW V12 & Peugeot 905's too. All models are new & boxed. It would free up a lot of cash for new models, so maybe I'll do it

#26 ·
I think streamlining of one's collection is a good idea.

I've recently sold 6 'non essential' models and with the money bought 2 that I really wanted. Good for saving space too.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I want every single one of my models to be a model I really like, not simply bought to complete a set (if that makes sense).

#27 ·
I know what you mean, I've got so many though, that's the thing. Most of them are brand new & still boxed (in storage) The list is endless. I will give scaling down the Le Mans ones some thought.
I tend to buy models I like as an actual car. I have a lot of German stuff (I have about 75 Porsche 911's alone) plus French cars & iconic super cars etc.

#32 ·
I know what you mean, I've got so many though, that's the thing......
If it's not to personal a question Craig, how many models do you actually own .....you must have MILLIONS!! ??

#28 ·
How many can you display at a time? How many would that be as a percentage of your collection?

I'd feel it a shame if I couldn't display my models and they had to sit in their boxes out of sight. I don't think you can enjoy them otherwise, but then that's personal opinion.

Alternatively, buy a bigger house!!

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
A few are out, but not many. The worst thing is selling something & regretting it, I hate that!! Plus when you go to get it again, the price is more. Yeah the last part is something that needs sorting :(

#34 ·
Don't sell it.
When Autoart released Maybach 62 the green one I bought it.. I liked it a lot. This was one of the first 10 Autoart models in my collection.
The collection get bigger and bigger and I decided to sell that Maybach. It was too big ( long ) and I don't know.. I lost interest in Maybach.
So I sold it. After few years prices rized like hell and I was sad I sold it ( Not bicasue price increase ). That model have small interesting background for me. But I said ok, I didn't liked it at all..
Last year I bought another Green Maybach 62, the price was lowered and it was good deal. I got it .. But again it was too big,... I got a buyer in 1 week after I bought it. And I sold it.
A few months after the guy who bought my first Maybach put it for sale. And I bought it again.. But.. I don't have it because It was too long.
I also miss some other models I sold. But I focused on Lambos and some other hyper cars and classics..

#35 ·
I have seen the prices that some of the Le Mans cars fetch now, I don't need the money etc so I would just put it into other models. The thing is, I like the early 2000 cars they're Maisto's etc, but I still like them
I'm not in a rush to sell etc, so maybe I'll have change my mind in a few months

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)

I've recently sold 6 'non essential' models and with the money bought 2 that I really wanted. Good for saving space too.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I want every single one of my models to be a model I really like, not simply bought to complete a set (if that makes sense).
Same here...I recently sold my "non essential" Models and bought some quality models that I wanted. So I basically used that $$ to buy newer models which you know are getting very expensive!

Will I regret it....? Maybe on a couple of them but not now.

#37 ·

Same here...I recently sold my "non essential" Models and bought some quality models that I wanted. So I basically used that $$ to buy newer models which you know are getting very expensive!

Will I regret it....? Maybe on a couple of them but not now.
Probably not. I sold A LOT of non-essential models last year and I'm having difficulty even remembering which ones they were. Usually if you're willing to sell a model, that already means that you never really liked it that much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.