DiecastXchange Forum banner

Diecast Database Program

3M views 257 replies 68 participants last post by  Supamav 
#1 ·
Here's something I've been working on in my spare time for the past year. It's a desktop application you can use to track & manage your diecast collection. I have just finished a new version it is available here if you're interested.

I will be starting on the next version soon (mainly performance improvements) but if you do decide to download & take a look please let me know what you think. My ultimate goal is to sell the software once I'm happy with the feature set and performance.

#2 ·
I did download it and took a quick look at it. It looks pretty good, however don't have the time to create my DB right now. I will surely give you feedback.

One question:
My collection is split in 3 subcollections. How do you suggest that I handle that? Use different catalog #s (like C1/C2/C3 or 001/002/003) preceding the sequential catalog #?

Thanks

#4 ·
Thanks for sharing dbonser

I've downloaded it and had a bit of a play.....it looks very good to me - i havent found anything that doesnt meet my needs

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
How do I go about exporting the database? If I can import in .csv it might be nice to export in .csv.

Looking good so far. One more thing. It'd be nice to be able to launch a image viewer from the software or have the ability to make the image bigger. I only have one fake car in there so far and will try the import utility next. Maybe even provide a zoom utility within the image viewing window.

#13 ·
Export is on my to-do list for the next version.

Because of certain restrictions with the AIR runtime it's not so easy to launch external programs (if that's what you meant by an image viewer). Double clicking a thumbnail in the item details view will show a larger version of the image. However, that larger version is limited to the original image size or available screen real-estate (whichever is smaller). A zoom feature in there should be fairly easy to do though.

#16 ·
I just uploaded a new version that incorporates a framework to handle application updates. Updates to this version will be much simpler and are as easy as clicking a button.

Now, the bad news (this is a work in progress, after all). For those who have already downloaded the application there is some work to get updated to this version (future updates will be painless). Please read these instructions if you have already downloaded the application prior to reading this message. Thanks!

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just posted version 0.2.3 a few hours ago. If you already have v0.2.1 you can update to v0.2.3 through the About Box (Tools -> About menu item) in the program. Otherwise, v0.2.3 is available from the Diecast Database Program main page. Be sure to download the updated user manual for information on the new features.

Version 0.2.3 includes the following changes:

New/enhanced features
  • Better performance with large (1,000 items or more) groups
  • NEW: Wish List
  • NEW: Data export
  • Data import enhancements:
    • Support for more date formats:
      • MM/DD/YYYY
      • DD/MM/YYYY
      • DD.MM.YYYY
      • DD,MM,YYYY
      • YYYY-MM-DD
      • MM/YYYY (dates will default to the first of the month)
    • Support for more currency formats:
      • 1 234,56
    • Better handling of embedded double-quote (") and comma (,) characters in import files
    • Allow blank dates and years in import

Bug fixes
  • Fixed database migration issue when migrating from v0.2.1 to v0.2.2
  • Fixed crash when editing an item in a filtered list and saving changes that would remove it from the filtered list.
  • Fixed crash when performing expense analysis on regular groups.
  • Fixed bug where values greater than $999.99 would be changed to $1.00.
  • Fixed bug in date field breakdowns for regular and smart groups.
  • Fixed bugs when adding an item to an empty group (deleting, selecting, drag and drop, etc.).
  • Fixed bug where new item would not always scroll into view if the new item was the first item in the list.
  • Removed tool tip text from Import button when it is disabled because an import is in progress.
  • Average line always displays even when expense is $0 for the time period.

#22 ·
Version 0.2.4 is now available and includes a lot of tweaks and bug fixes. You can download it from the main dcdb page or through the update mechanism within the program. The documentation has been updated as well.

The only 'new' feature is that Smart Groups can now search 'All Items' group, 'Wish List' group, or both. If nothing else, please read the following 4 points detailing changes to existing data:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CHANGES TO EXISTING DATA
- Any non-numeric characters will be removed from existing Competition Car No. values.
- Any non-numeric characters with the exception of ':' and '/' will be removed from existing Model Scale values.
- If you have created any Smart Groups that use the Competition Car Number field please edit them and choose the correct operator since the valid operators for this field have changed.
- Existing smart groups will default to search 'All Items' group

Enhancements/New Features
- Smart Groups can now search 'All Items' group, 'Wish List' group, or both groups
- The image browser will scroll to show the image after adding an image from a file or URL
- Line breaks in User Tags and User Notes values are now preserved during export and import
- Competition Results values in list view & list preferences now sort as follows: blanks, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ..., 99th, ..., DNF, ...
- Model Scale values in list view & list preferences now sort as follows: blanks, 1:100, 1:72, 1:64, ..., 1:43, 1:24, 1:18, ...
- Competition Car No. values are now numeric only - non-numeric charcaters will be removed from database entries
- Model Scale values are now numeric and ':' or '/' only - other values will be removed from database and list preferences entries
- Export file name is checked to ensure that is has a .csv extension
- Better checking of Model Year, 1:1 Year, Competition Year values in import

Bug Fixes
- Competition Car No. values in list view now sort correctly
- Pre-Order Date, Purchase Date, Ship Date, Receive Date, Sale Date, and Loss Date values in list view now sort correctly
- Pre-Order Price, Purchase Price, and Sale price values in list view now sort correctly
- Fixed a problem where filtering lists would not always return the correct entries: "2010" would match " 10", '%' and '_' characters would not work
- Fixed a problem where filtering lists on date values would not always return the correct entries
- Fixed a problem where smart groups would not always find the correct entries: "2010" would match " 10", '%' and '_' characters would not work
- Fixed bug where the correct operator was not selected when editing an existing smart group
- New Item From Selection & New Wish List Item From Selection are enabled only when 1 item is selected
- Fix export bug where list view contents would change to show the contents of the group that was exported

#28 ·
Hi Doug,
I just loaded up my Excel files into DCDB. It was easy and I'm glad to have the program!!! Now to add photos!

Thanks for the software and your efforts that went into it!!!

Sean

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry to say but I'm stopping work on this program - too many other higher-priority things going on in my life right now. I don't foresee resuming work on it in the future either. I've decided to use Bento to keep track of my collection since it already does everything my app did (maybe not exactly how I would like it) and I don't need to fix any more bugs.

Anyway, if you've already downloaded it you can certainly continue to use it but note that there are still some bugs lurking in there that I didn't fix yet and there will be no fixes for them:
- model scale & competition results drop downs are not being sorted
- last image is not scrolling into view when adding image from a URL
- order of Smart Group criteria is not preservered across creation and editing
- removing an item from the wishlist and editing it causes it to return to the wishlist
- breakdowns do not display correctly when chosen field contains data with a ' character
- profit/loss value displays NaN if there is no purchace price
- profit/loss values are not always calculated correctly (for example 14.329876534 vs. 14.33)
- can't enter negative number for sale price

#34 ·
Hi Doug,
I use the program and love it. Too bad to hear that you are no longer going to maintain it, but definately understand. Thanks for giving us a great application!!!

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.