DiecastXchange Forum banner

Bugatti Veyron Supersports | Minichamps

12K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  blu3hamm3r 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This Veyron SS was my most expensive purchase in 2013, and I had high hopes for it, based on the pictures that I had seen on eBay and here on DX.
However, I was sorely dissappointed when I collected mine yesterday.

For 240 USD, I received a model which is worth, in my opinion, less than 200 USD. It does not have the feel of an expensive detailed model, and the QC issues on it are just intolerable. More on that below.

Here's a small review on the model:

Things I like:
- Carbon Fiber pattern on most of the model
- It's a Top Gear "special" edition.

Things I don't like:
- The price - quality ratio.
- Brakes
- The model feels very light.
- The driver's side front wheel and passenger's side rear wheel DO NOT touch the ground when placed on a level surface, which makes the car wobble about when touched, like, let's say, a really cheap badly-made toy car.
- Some of the brake discs don't spin when the wheel is rotated, which is an extreme letdown.
- The passenger's side window is not flush with the body.
- The rear wing feels plasticky, and the 'hole' which the spoiler reveals when activated is horrible silver plastic.
- The secondary, removable wing is matt black and made of plastic, and it feels very flimsy in general.
- The Stig figurine that comes with the car. Some say that the person who gave the green-light for the Minichamps Stig to be put into production was half- blind.
- Orange detailing in the interior that would be found on a real Supersports is missing.(Thanks to Lambo for pointing it out.)

Since the MP4-12C was released, Minichamps has been drawing much criticism about their quality, and I am not surprised. This Veyron SS can join the pile of crap that they have been releasing these days.

Here are some pictures:

Wheels and Brakes

Interior

Front Compartment

Rear Wing

This is the secondary wing, which fits into two small holes in the plastic mess.

With the wing raised into the airbrake position:

The "Mutant" Stig figurine:

As compared to my unlicensed Stig:

Some detail shots:

In conclusion, if you have your eye set on this Veyron, please, please just keep your money for now, save up a bit more, and wait for the AUTOart version, which would most definitely be superior to this in many ways.

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I LOLed when i saw the stig!
They remind me of the Falcon predator and optimus prime XD

But its a good alternative for the bomb shell AUTOart veyron SS. If you don't mind the issues. Probably minichamps wanna sell theirs before AUTOart release theirs

#7 ·
I think that if it annoys you (and for the money) you should ask to return it for a better one
If I had bought it myself & it had those problems I'd be doing just that.

I do like the way it looks though, the CF finish looks excellent. The mutant Stig figure is a complete mess lol, they really messed him up, he's bad on their 1/43 models too.

#9 ·
actually LOLed at that stig!!! Sorry bout that model, i would send it back, its like a wobbly table, I cannot stand a wobbly table.
Well, the wobbly table is now in an AUTOart display case, where it isn't too obvious, so it's fine for me :p

#13 ·
Too much to quote - without sounding rude, your local contact should have rejected them both.

#16 ·
Damn Justin, you're a magnet for models with defects
, the F12, now this one, but I'll let you in on something, I have this one from MR Collection and it's not flawless either and for the price I paid, now that's something that can "piss" a person off, just return it and ask a refund or replacement - good luck and let us know how you solved it

#18 ·
It really looks nice in the pics. I was planning to buy one until I read your review. Thanks! I'll take your advise and wait for Autoart. I just wish AUTOart would replicate the carbon finish just as good. Minichamps is the first one to replicate a carbon finish like the real thing.

#21 ·
Cheers guys, I guess the main gist of this would be to wait for the AUTOart version.

Well horrible or not man thanks for sharing us these photos. On that note, I'll take it if it is given to me for birthday or somethin.' I'll wait on the AUTOart version like you said. This model makes a good display at a distance though.
Agreed. From a distance, it looks pretty okay.
(Bad pic)

#22 ·
Sorry to hear about your disappointment...Hope you have better luck next time around...

#26 ·
In response to an earlier post, Minichamps would probably charge $239.99 for the model without the Stig! lol. To think this is licensed, what fool signed off on that one?

I'm sorry to hear that you were so let down by the model. If I were you, I'd put that thing on eBay while they're still fetching good prices. IMO, the price will probably nose dive in a short period of time once people start finding out more about the model.

Minichamps won't last long with the way things are going IMO. The only minichamps I'm after are a few BMW's produced when they still had respectable standards.

#27 ·
Agreed. However, I'm a fan of TG, so I'll probably keep it for now. Who knows, it might get rare in the future...
Also, CK-Modelcars has the non-TG version in stock, listed for 180 Euros

I have both their M3(E92) GT2 racers, those are pretty fantastic. Apart from those and some Bentleys, I can't think of any other recent release that was properly good.

#28 ·
I think the CF print would be the main reason why I would buy the PMA over the AUTOart, but like you said, the price/quality ration just isn't worth it. Would get the AUTOart version for sure.

#31 ·
Yeah, it's a complete mess... It's sad where Minichamps are going... It may be a bit too far but I'll say it, this model deserves a price tag of a regular HotWheels or something... The CF may be good but it's wrong and apart from the headlights almost everything else screams made on a budget... I usually like "find the differences" games but this is way, way too easy. Here are some great pics of the actual car for anyone who wants to give it a bash: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bugatti-veyron-16-4-super-sport-wre-at-mullin-museum/full/#photo-187497

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.