DiecastXchange Forum banner

building a c130 laurel....

7K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  diecastcity 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
for the last couple of months marco and i have been working on a new car never before seen in 1:18
it has been quite the journey and thanks to marco the design changed from a datsun shaped brick into a car with opening doors hood trunk and all the likes.
after the brick stage i have now idea how it happened but this is what he came up with

spot on i`d say!
also it will get a set of hayashi street and a set of sakura rims.
feel free to ask questions i`l try my best to answer them

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
my initial plan is to make all the remaining parts myself but i could also do this:
use a kyosho kenmeri as a base bet then i`d be stuck with a kenmeri shell......
and i could chop up an r32 skyline to recreate the rocky auto kenmeri replica.
wich will leave me with an r32 shell with windows and all wich would fit perfectly in the for sale section here on the forum or be made into an r32 silhouette racer or drag car.
http://carnews.beforward.jp/searchs/detail/entry_id=214718
this is the replica kenmeri based on an r32 gtr i believe

#5 ·
allright now it is time for marco to take center stage

he is going to print it any day now and i can hardly wait

now the next thing is how to finish the laurel....
i can go two ways

just sensible, low and pretty damn stylish

or fully outrageous with a c110 skyline rear wing fender flares and gold centered sakura rims
so whadda you guys think?

#7 ·
my luck just keeps getting better!
i just bought myself a crushed roof skyline c110 wide wheel model

still in the original package but badly damaged so i am going to take what i can use for the laurel and make the rest of the skyline into something a bit different....

this is how it should be but the roof is comepletely FUBAR wich sucks but makes for a great parts car.

#9 ·
Great project Rockabilly - really looking forward to seeing what you will do with it. I remember that grab of the C110...I remember seeing that listing on ebay but the guy was reluctant to lower his price for the crushed roof including shipping so I passed grudgingly but glad to hear you got it.

What about putting on the standard watanabe wheels like the first photo you posted? It's possibly the most iconic for those nissan classics.

#10 ·
had a chat with marco today and the wait is almost over!
only about two more weeks and i can get working on it, more importantly however this car is only the tip of the iceberg....
the possibilities of 3d printing are pretty limitless so more is sure to follow.
i already have a decent collection of print ready shakotan style rims going from hayashi streets to ssr mk1, mk2, sakura and a few more.
sorry for the somewhat boring update but things will spice up soon

#11 ·

my color scheme has been made!
as for the wheels i will most likely go for sakura`s or one of the other rims the magic machine will be printing...
i will do it with a spray gun instead of rattle cans so that will be exiting to try something new

#13 ·
soo here`s the laurel.

as you can see the body is warped and it even caused a printer crash (sorry for that)
now we`ve not yet figured out how it could happen.
i suspect it has something to do with the fact the base CAD file i used was initially a google sketchup model

mybe i just might qualify as a digiphobic monkey

i`m recieving great customer care from marco`s side beacause he is fixing the file to reprint the car AND on top of that i can have the crashed model for diorama use

so a big thanks to marco!
sometimes lemonade really does taste good

what should i do with the warped model?

#15 ·
Thanks Jan for your words of appreciation. Unfortunately it wasn't something that had to do with the file, because after some hours and hours on editing it for 3d printing, the printer started to have problems and this came out after a printing session was successufully finalized by the machine. To solve this problem it took about two months but now we are back on the saddle again ;)

#16 ·
I`M BACK!

today a very special package arrived from italy containing the crown to my collection

the smoothness of the printed surface is comparable to that of fine threaded wood like birch and the material is hard yet flexible.
i`ve not yet started working on the model but it`s too hard to keep to one build style fo the model

maybe in a few months...

#20 ·
Great to see you back Rockabillydude and great to see some progress on the C130

If you don't mind me asking what are the plans for the interior and chassis? I am guessing your gonna use the chassis and interior from a C110

Still, best of luck and keep us updated

#22 ·
well i got around to start working on it today and i offered it up to a c110 chassis.
let`s just say they did not blend well

wich was wierd cause they have the same unibody in real life....
after measuring and comparing i found outh that the original CAD file i gave to marco was too narrow and the kyosho chassis was too wide

i screwed up so badly i feel like i`m at level POTATO on the retard scale

so i did what i`m best at, slicing up valuable diecast models

here it is frankensteined back togather

and here is one of the reasons i`ve been away for a while

#27 ·
thanks guys!
the printed parts are a real interesting material from an engineering point of view it is strong and flexible but when you`ve reached the border of it`s elastic bending it will break instead of deforming like metal or various other plastics.
so all togather i`d say i prefer this plastic over standard metal diecast models.
now onto the car!

the project is coming along nicely i think

these rims are also a co-production by thearea71 and me, i drew up the basic design (hayashi cr) and marco took it from there

#29 ·
the project is coming along nicely i think

these rims are also a co-production by thearea71 and me, i drew up the basic design (hayashi cr) and marco took it from there
Great progress on the C130 Rockabilly

I love the 2000gt and is that an Fb Rx-7 in the background? Whats the plans on the both of them and do you have anymore pictures?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.