33K views 310 replies 75 participants last post by  JSB 33 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Wings only :happy

#4 ·
StygianMax said:
Rat said:
vegasracer said:
Now, that's what I call a wing... Rodger flight 07, you're clear for takeoff.... :lol

That's really cool VR. :nicejob :cheers
:lol

That's a most unique looking car VR! What year was that car (1:1) designed? I'm sure there's a lot of interesting history behind aerodynamics testing of racing cars a few decades back.
Not wanting to step on Jeffs toes...
Its the Chaparral 2H from 1969.
The car was originally designed to have the driver completely under the bodywork without sticking up at all.
The car was very narrow and was basicly a streamliner that would give fast straight line speed but still be able to get thru the corners as quickly as the competition that was dragging around large wings down the straights.

Jim Hall had been injured in a horrendous crash in late 1968 and hired John Surtees to drive the 2H for 69 but Surtees refused to lay down under the bodywork so the cut a cockpit opening and propped him up.
The whole idea of low drag was lost so Hall went completely the other way here and put the big barn door on top along with many other configurations trying to make this car work.
Nothing seemed to help and the 2H was the one faliure on Jim Halls Chaparral history.

#5 ·
Rat said:
StygianMax said:
Here are a few of mine:

This is a great shot Felix, it really shows off some of the interesting features the Skyline has. The tires, very nice finish that's not too dark or shiny. While every GT racer I've seen is on low profile tires, why are the JGTC cars running on balloons? They look very cool, I just don't understand this reverse trend. :confused :cheers
Thanks for the kind words about the pic Tom. :cheers

As for the higher-profile tires, I really don't know. I was just looking at the JGTC Porsche GT3 and it also has the big balloon tires. Maybe it's a technical spec requirement from the JGTC?? :confused

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.