Do Kyosho models sometimes come with slight scratches/damage from the factory?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: pk

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

I recently won an auction on a Kyosho BMW 6 series cabriolet (ebay item # 111312004205). The item was marked as new, but when I opened the box I could see that there is some damage to it. Its not major, but easily noticeable. First, there seems to be some indentations on top of the right side door. Second, there is some scuffing towards the front. The seats also have strange black spots.

Here are photos showing the issues:

Scratches on door closeup, dirty seats
Posted Image

Scratches on door:
Posted Image

Scuff mark on bonnet:
Posted Image

When I asked the seller he claims that this model had never been removed from the box (I did get it with tape over the styrofoam clamshell, but it may have been applied after being opened). I am giving the benefit of doubt to him, and am not going to ask for returning the model or a partial refund. I believe €42.5 is not too much for a Kyosho BMW, please let me know if I am wrong, since I am new to buying Kyoshos. Nonetheless I would like you fine gentlemen's opinion based on experience with new Kyosho models. Do they ever have this kind of damage straight out of the factory?

__________________________________________________________________________________
PROTECT ME FROM WHAT I WANT
Posted Image ;Posted Image
__________________________________________________________________________________

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,980 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

I have heard a lot of horror stories about Kyosho's QC recently, so I'm inclined to believe that. Did you feel like you were opening the box for the first time? If so, then it is likely that this is yet another model by Kyosho that left the factory with piss poor QC inspection
Wes

#3 OFFLINE   E Rod_017

E Rod_017

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Interests:Cars cars and more cars
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that has great detail for low prices
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

My Cadillac CTS V came with different shades of silver panels most noticeably on the drivers side and surprisingly little paint rash on the rear deck
TO SEE MY COLLECTION CLICK RIGHT HERE!!!
THANKS FOR THE 20,000 VIEWS!!!!!

#4 OFFLINE   wrx_triggerhappy

wrx_triggerhappy

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4,919 posts
  • Number of Models:Lost count
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, ERTL, SC, Greenlight

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Paint rash + paint specs + easy parts breaking off = kyosho. Welcome to the game boys.

It's a hit or miss but yes with the kyosho models I have bought I've either had paint specs, rashes and small scratches during transit. I think their styrofoam container can be a bit tight on the models and it also depends on how the person screwed the model to the base. Sorry to hear about these issues appearing on your model Uzair but it's always a gamble. If you love the model and can accept it's flaws then great but if it ultimately bothers you I would return it before the period is up. Just my two cents.

Posted Image

Sam

Recent Additions:
Not much since the wife controls me and the money and the 93 octane isn't cheap!

my collection

#5 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:37 AM

TSMFAN, E Rod_017, and wrx_triggerhappy: MANY thanks for answering! I am disappointed to hear that Kyosho have had QC issues recently - will definitely make me think twice about buying Kyoshos again. That's a pity because I find their quality to be better than Autoarts, especially in the paint. I had only 1 Kyosho before buying 2 from this seller, and one of them had the issues. The models were in plastic clamshell boxes sealed with tape, but I don't think its difficult to apply tape again. Furthermore the seller had a photo of the model outside its box on the ebay ad, so (unless he sold two of the same kind) he had a chance to see the condition.

Another funny thing about these Kyosho BMW models I got is that they are not screwed into the base, just snugly fitting into the foam clamshell. Since they are heavy models the constant bumping against the foam must cause some kind of damage as well. What is Kyosho thinking with this kind of packing? :gaah: I love foam clamshell packing since that provides the best protection, but the model HAS to be secured with screws so it doesn't move inside the clamshell.

#6 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,863 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:46 AM

Out of the 70 or so Kyosho models I have, only a couple have the odd paint defect. Kyosho are usually very very good :twocents:
I know that they are well known for paint rash etc, none of mine have this.

View PostUzair, on 30 May 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

TSMFAN, E Rod_017, and wrx_triggerhappy: MANY thanks for answering! I am disappointed to hear that Kyosho have had QC issues recently - will definitely make me think twice about buying Kyoshos again. That's a pity because I find their quality to be better than Autoarts, especially in the paint. I had only 1 Kyosho before buying 2 from this seller, and one of them had the issues. The models were in plastic clamshell boxes sealed with tape, but I don't think its difficult to apply tape again. Furthermore the seller had a photo of the model outside its box on the ebay ad, so (unless he sold two of the same kind) he had a chance to see the condition.

Another funny thing about these Kyosho BMW models I got is that they are not screwed into the base, just snugly fitting into the foam clamshell. Since they are heavy models the constant bumping against the foam must cause some kind of damage as well. What is Kyosho thinking with this kind of packing? Posted Image I love foam clamshell packing since that provides the best protection, but the model HAS to be secured with screws so it doesn't move inside the clamshell.
They don't tend to move abut in the boxes!! Usually when they are new they have tissue paper covering the model so none of it is exposed & then paper (like kitchen roll paper) on top of that. Most of them have two Black plastic strips that fit under the model, so they can't move about in the box, and if they do it's probably only a few mm up & down, which is nothing.
Kyosho pack their models in the best way :twocents:

Like this (pic randomly from eBay)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#7 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

Thanks Craig for reassuring on Kyosho quality control :)

The funny thing is that although the seller claims he hadn't opened the model, there are two kinds of tissue paper covering it. The normal thin paper type, and then the toilet-roll type that we have in our homes :) Although I can't prove it, I suspect that he had indeed opened the model. But since he claims innocence I am going to let it pass. Don't want to quibble too much over a €42 model. But I will always treat this model as a step-child!  :rolleyes: I hate defects in my models :mad2: , each model takes up valuable display space and had better be perfect (or else extremely cheap, much less market price, when purchased, to justify the damage).

#8 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,989 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Many of my Kyoshos have had the two types of paper packing Uz, and the dirty specs on the light coloured interior doesn't surprise me as any grot that's loose in the box will show against it...  I think it's highly possible that the seller hasn't opened it.... :twocents:

I suspect it's Kyo's QC....is the plastic with the indentations painted over?  I've seen that before, where the paint is a bit 'pocked'...

However the scuff on the front wing and by the mirror is a bit naughty.....have you tried to buff it out?  :dunno:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

View Postmairandeddy, on 30 May 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

Many of my Kyoshos have had the two types of paper packing Uz, and the dirty specs on the light coloured interior doesn't surprise me as any grot that's loose in the box will show against it...  I think it's highly possible that the seller hasn't opened it.... Posted Image

I suspect it's Kyo's QC....is the plastic with the indentations painted over?  I've seen that before, where the paint is a bit 'pocked'...

However the scuff on the front wing and by the mirror is a bit naughty.....have you tried to buff it out?  Posted Image

Yeah - the plastic indentations have the paint ok on top of them, so it may very well be that the plastic body itself had the issue before being painted.

From what you say about the paint and body issues, and the different kinds of paper, I am now inclined to believe in the innocence of the seller. He has told me that he sold 3 of these models and the photo was from another one (why people keep multiple copies of the same model is beyond me). Its just my luck that I got the one model with bad QC on it  :rolleyes: I will definitely be very wary of getting Kyosho models and if I do will ask the seller to inspect before I bid/pay for it.

I haven't buffed out the scuffing - how do I go about it? I am a DIY noob :nice: :bawling:

PS: The seller packed superbly, using foam block of exactly the right dimensions to provide cushioning to the Kyosho boxes at the bottom, sides, and top:

Posted Image

Seeing excellent packing like this always make my heart feel a little bit warm and fuzzy - the opposite of "limp-bucket worthy" packing :nice: This is also why I am giving a pass on the defective model itself, the seller obviously took care to pack well so I don't want to spoil his day by chasing the problem on what is not an expensive model.

Edited by Uzair, 30 May 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   AutoIndulgence

AutoIndulgence

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 210 posts
  • Favorite Brands:All famous high-end brands

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

Kyosho has QC issues. My Kyosho BMW M3 E93 had none QC issues but my Lamborghini Miura SVJ has some. Like dust particles in paint, defect in fuel cap (which opens), a little defect in interior, but I don't really care.  Its still a very very well detailed model for around 110usd.
(Both the cars were bought from Ck-modelcars.de)
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostAutoIndulgence, on 30 May 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

Kyosho has QC issues. My Kyosho BMW M3 E93 had none QC issues but my Lamborghini Miura SVJ has some. Like dust particles in paint, defect in fuel cap (which opens), a little defect in interior, but I don't really care.  Its still a very very well detailed model for around 110usd.
(Both the cars were bought from Ck-modelcars.de)

Gotcha, thanks for adding to the opnions around Kyosho Posted Image Reading around here on DX, it seems as if all the big names - Autoart, Exoto, Minichamps, and Kyosho have QC issues. Is CMC perhaps the only one immune to such issues?

(and again I lament that their subject matter is not what I collect, otherwise I would be all over their awesome quality-for-the-price!)

Edited by Uzair, 30 May 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   hitokiri19

hitokiri19

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Autoart, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

I've got 3 kyosho's all purchased new, sadly noticed paint issues on 2 of them (both red)

#13 OFFLINE   Mungojerrie

Mungojerrie

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 605 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

I love my Kyoshos. Yes they are not flawless, nothing in life really is, but they are darn close. Kyosho seems to be the last premium brand that doesn't charge ridiculous inflated prices. Things like slight paint rash or variance in color tones means little to nothing to me because of the overall package you get from a Kyosho. Solid premium models with excellent prices. Thank you Kyosho.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,863 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

View Posthitokiri19, on 22 June 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

I've got 3 kyosho's all purchased new, sadly noticed paint issues on 2 of them (both red)
It depends on the rash, but you can fix them, if you're competent.

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#15 OFFLINE   MikeyBMWM

MikeyBMWM

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: pl

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

I recived Kyosho model in new condition and I have seen paint issuses. It was about 10 bigger and smaller (maximum 1mm) grains under the paint. I have no idea what was that. Rust or wrong metal manufacture cleaned up before painting? Regardless, I turned the miniature and recived my $400.

I ordered new one and now I have my model in perfect condition. Also produced by Kyosho.

Edited by MikeyBMWM, 23 November 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   BMWE90

BMWE90

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 727 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

yes, its true that some kyoshos come with scratches and damages.  ive had this experience before and i knew that the seller wasn't lying when he told me it was brand new.  kyosho has poor QC.  i dont buy as much kyosho diecasts anymore because of this.  its a gamble everytime you buy kyosho
Posted Image

View my collection here ! :D

My Photoshoot: Audi R8 vs Gallardo BMW Z4 BMW M3 BMW Z4 Coupe

#17 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:43 PM

Yeah I only have a few Kyoshos (3 BMW LMRs, 3 BMW street cars) and I won't buy any more due to the QC issues they sometimes have from the factory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use