Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,161 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostAlex, on 03 July 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

IMHO that's the worst news ever for this hobby. Kyosho's paint will degrade shortly after unboxing and AUTOart will charge $350+ What a shame. By far the best diecast value. This is a great opportunity for Hotwheels to start producing other marques!

My concerns exactly Alex! :agreed:
But it's very likely that Hot Wheels will have more capital available to build/develop their range.....I doubt whether they'll pay any other marque the same money that Ferrari demanded... :twocents:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 OFFLINE   Alex

Alex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,108 posts
  • Interests:Sports Cars and Exotics: 90's-Present
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

They already have the industry knowledge and quality product to cement their place in the diecast regime. Why not invest it into the production of other models? Heck, they would probably turn a better profit as Ferrari's licensing costs are probably bonkers.

#28 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,161 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostAlex, on 03 July 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

They already have the industry knowledge and quality product to cement their place in the diecast regime. Why not invest it into the production of other models? Heck, they would probably turn a better profit as Ferrari's licensing costs are probably bonkers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they paid £5million....bearing in mind the production overheads that's a lot to recoup from a very limited market... :twocents:

Fast Eddy's

Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   Alex

Alex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,108 posts
  • Interests:Sports Cars and Exotics: 90's-Present
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

I wonder what kind of a profit margin increase they would have if they did business with other companies. If they got rid of the stupid half windows and doglegs their models would REALLY shine! They'd probably still make a larger profit and have a larger market share as you mentioned. Hmmm, this could be a blessing in disguise :hope:

I'd love to see someone take AUTOart down a notch or two. I love collecting, but I will not spend $200 plus on every model I buy. And not to sound like a snob, but I won't invest my money in Maistos and Norevs. They just don't have the quality I desire.

Forgive me for going off topic, but I am very excited to see the McLaren F1 LM by AUTOart and will buy it no matter the cost because it's my grail. However, I'm prepared to get shafted.

#30 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,954 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

I'd be very excited for Autoart to make them. Of course there would be the mainstream Ferraris which will retail at 170-220, and the specials like race cars and F40, 50, Enzo, LaFerrari at 250-350. I'd be ecstatic. HAVING SAID THAT, the license should never be exclusive, as collectors should always have a low cost option.
Wes

#31 OFFLINE   ssiddi2

ssiddi2

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

If the Ferrari license Mattel had was exclusive, how was CMC able to produce the 1961 California a couple years ago?  I guess there are provisions that allow other manufacturers to produce specific models?

#32 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

AND BBR, MR, Kyosho, Hot Wheels.... any others?
Wes

#33 OFFLINE   Red_Baron

Red_Baron

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, AUTOart, Maisto, HWE, Welly
  • Proud Citizen of: my

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

If you read the article again it mentioned 15 years of partnership with Ferrari, which means it does not only effect the 1/18 business but I think it applies to the entire Hot Wheels fleet. 15 years for the elite line only is not correct if I'm not mistaken HWE line barely reached 10 years.

Edited by Red_Baron, 03 July 2014 - 04:42 PM.

If you see me bombing loads of pics on a thread, DO NOT QUOTE THE POST

Posted Image Posted Image
<< RUN!

#34 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,062 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:175
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostE Rod_017, on 03 July 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

If this true I'd rather have AUTOart make them than jada. We all see that sadness that is the Corvette ZR1

Could you picture laferrari with 30" wheels and no steering

Jada and Paragon are one of the same. I do not think they would do that to Ferrari. And I would hate to see AUTOart pick up Ferrari. It would be years before we say anything.

To be honest, I am not sure a high end company will get it. Will Ferrari want a continuation of the cheaper version of the models? What about 43s? 64? There is more than just 1/18. And do not forget about F1.

#35 OFFLINE   Pegasus Seiya

Pegasus Seiya

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 417 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of: ad

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Really hope AutoArt takes it. I've had about enough of kyoshos crappy paint.
Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,161 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

View PostPegasus Seiya, on 03 July 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

Really hope AutoArt takes it. I've had about enough of kyoshos crappy paint.

I'm sure Kyo would have to spend some time eradicating the 'rash' before signing a big deal with Ferrari, as their red models are the worst affected.... :twocents:

Fast Eddy's

Posted Image

#37 OFFLINE   ozzibaz

ozzibaz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, Cars, Motor racing, Racing Games, Lego, Photography, Sci-Fi/Action/Animation movies/tv shows
  • Number of Models:about 140
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Biante, Hot Wheels Elite
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

While I loved the Hot Wheels Elite range of Ferraris I hope this is an opportunity to return to the non-exclusive licensing before Hot Wheels made that deal. Think everything from Bburago/maisto through Kyosho and BBR and CMC. That gives everyone more options. Hopefully something is made available in the mid-price range that HWE vacate and I tend to prefer. Kyosho might but I avoid them due to the infamous paint issues. The most likely downside is it will take time for the diecast manufacturers to start producing Ferrari models so there is likely to be a drought for a while... As others have mentioned it may also free up funds for Hot Wheels to expand into other manufacturers.... the next few years could be rather interesting - the results might determine whether I keep collecting though, as about 1/3 of my models are Ferrari.

Edited by ozzibaz, 03 July 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#38 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

I dont even know why I care. Only 8 of my models, out of almost 70, are Ferraris, and none are road versions, and only three are post-2000. I would have had more but I never truly liked HWE and I was put off by Kyosho's paint problems, as ozzibaz mentioned too, not to mention the crazy prices people are charging for them on ebay. Maybe a manufacturer like Autoart making Ferraris will actually make me want to buy them. And that is an enticing possibility.
Wes

#39 OFFLINE   Red_Baron

Red_Baron

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, AUTOart, Maisto, HWE, Welly
  • Proud Citizen of: my

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

AUTOart has enough of license. If you give it to them there will be no competition and this hobby will probably die in the hands of them due to their never ending price hike and you can imagine what they will do if they get the exclusivity to be the only diecast manufacturer in the world .
If you see me bombing loads of pics on a thread, DO NOT QUOTE THE POST

Posted Image Posted Image
<< RUN!

#40 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2,206 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

I used my journo credentials to try and ask them for clarification but given the time difference it may take a while.

If that's the case it would suck pretty bad. Hot Wheels models were far from perfect but they were not that bad at all and were like an oasis in the always continuing price hike everywhere... I guess I'll have to keep some money at hand for when the LaFerrari comes out because if true every Hot Wheels model will go QUICK...

I'll be back
Posted Image
Clear the decks, the Rammstein tanker is once again under steam!
www.diecast-utopia.com
stuffedparty.com
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#41 OFFLINE   Affi

Affi

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,048 posts
  • Interests:1 18, diorama, die cast in general and Accessories
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61, ERTL, GMP, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

View Postozzibaz, on 03 July 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

... I hope this is an opportunity to return to the non-exclusive licensing before Hot Wheels made that deal. Think everything from Bburago/maisto through Kyosho and BBR and CMC. That gives everyone more options.

Good point! This is the way I believe, I think the most important market is the 4-12 years old.. Because what is a 5 milion deal, if you ain't got the youth, that later in life will buy that 1/1 car..

Yeah I am convinced that this is why, I also started with 1 18 Bburago Ferrari's when I was still a little Affi..
Posted Image
You can find my collection HERE
Farfegnugen

#42 OFFLINE   118supercars

118supercars

• DX Moderator
  • Pip
  • 4,776 posts
  • Interests:Cars, photography, nature/outdoors.
  • Number of Models:61
  • Favorite Brands:none

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:08 AM

You know that all of you brand-name snobs saying "Maisto and Norev and such are toys and they don't deserve the license" are basically setting it up so AutoArt can get the license and sell Ferrari models for what will be no less than $300, possibly upwards of $500?  I hate to say this but it is true, no chance some no-name like Welly or Spark can afford this license.  Mattel could because they're the largest toy company in the world.  BBR and MR can because their models are so ridiculously expensive that you have to wonder if they are aimed at the people who own the 1:1s.  AutoArt is bridging the gap between those two and I imagine they've been planning to capitalize on this for years.  And the people so eager to buy all of the overpriced crap of theirs since the last half-decade are how they do it.

And I'll be the first person in this topic to mention Ferrari's ridiculous stinginess with their licensing.  It has always been that way, Enzo Ferrari was such a control freak that he insisted on hand-picking a lot of the marque's early customers.  In the modern age, this has translated into things like how Ferraris are put into video games, not only are they very controlling as to what games they are in but even within the games, Ferraris are exempt from all of the other rules of the games.  See how that is similar to the licensing of their miniatures?  But it wasn't always this way, because up until around 2001 or so, you had several companies making Ferrari models - Maisto, Bburago, UT, Kyosho, etc.  This was the Golden Age of collecting model cars.  Different price points so everyone can afford them, and honestly, if those models aren't good enough quality for you, then you are just as much of a stiff as the executives in Maranello.  And I hope you stiffs like your fancy details because the bigger picture of this hobby is that it is falling apart.
Posted Image

#43 OFFLINE   BobSalawalatski

BobSalawalatski

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 297 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, TSM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:11 AM

View Post118supercars, on 04 July 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

You know that all of you brand-name snobs saying "Maisto and Norev and such are toys and they don't deserve the license" are basically setting it up so AutoArt can get the license and sell Ferrari models for what will be no less than $300, possibly upwards of $500?  I hate to say this but it is true, no chance some no-name like Welly or Spark can afford this license.  Mattel could because they're the largest toy company in the world.  BBR and MR can because their models are so ridiculously expensive that you have to wonder if they are aimed at the people who own the 1:1s.  AutoArt is bridging the gap between those two and I imagine they've been planning to capitalize on this for years.  And the people so eager to buy all of the overpriced crap of theirs since the last half-decade are how they do it.

And I'll be the first person in this topic to mention Ferrari's ridiculous stinginess with their licensing.  It has always been that way, Enzo Ferrari was such a control freak that he insisted on hand-picking a lot of the marque's early customers.  In the modern age, this has translated into things like how Ferraris are put into video games, not only are they very controlling as to what games they are in but even within the games, Ferraris are exempt from all of the other rules of the games.  See how that is similar to the licensing of their miniatures?  But it wasn't always this way, because up until around 2001 or so, you had several companies making Ferrari models - Maisto, Bburago, UT, Kyosho, etc.  This was the Golden Age of collecting model cars.  Different price points so everyone can afford them, and honestly, if those models aren't good enough quality for you, then you are just as much of a stiff as the executives in Maranello.  And I hope you stiffs like your fancy details because the bigger picture of this hobby is that it is falling apart.

Sour Grapes, huh?

I will never apologize for demanding finely detailed and accurate models.

Posted Image

Tesla Model ≡ Reservation Holder

#44 OFFLINE   Thorst13

Thorst13

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit, HWE.
  • Proud Citizen of: no

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

And I hope you stiffs like your fancy details because the bigger picture of this hobby is that it is falling apart.

It's already too late my friend! And if this is a fact I must admit quitting this hobby is more real to me now than ever. It's simply not worth it any more to me! The days were I could buy these things with a clear consciousness are gone. I'm a family man now and see things differently. The "comical" thing is that I now have more buying power than ever in my mid-thirties making a six figure income. But, $250- 300 for a model car, or even $500+ for a resin which really isn't that good to begin…...starting to look stupid. I still have over 400 1:18's to enjoy, but at this stage I think I will use my fun money differently. I have spent some serious $ on 1:18's over the years, but didn't really mind because I felt the cost vs quality was good. I would rather save my 1:18 money for the next years and put a solid down payment on the real thing instead. :occasion14: :twocents:
Posted Image

#45 OFFLINE   silverstar189

silverstar189

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 724 posts
  • Favorite Brands:cmc & exoto

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

You know that all of you brand-name snobs

I'm sick of comments like this. Some people collect high end models. It doesn't mean that they belittle anyone who doesn't.

#46 OFFLINE   rossoGTO

rossoGTO

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,786 posts
  • Favorite Brands:KYOSHO
  • Proud Citizen of: jp

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:30 AM

My humble opinion towards Hotwheels and Ferrari is ( thank you )   thank you for all these past years of making 1:18 Ferrari's!    Way to go. :eusa_clap:      I guess, like everything else in this world has an ending.    What a way to end it by making the LaFerrari and the SPECIALE.    

My no.1 pick of brand to continue 1:18 Ferrari models is none other than KYOSHO!!     They did a superb job on their F40 & 250GTO.    And if……..if one of these days a 1:18 288GTO and an F50 should they decide to make these two I AM SOLD now already!  (  288GTO Evolutione )  should be a bonus if they can in 1:18 also.    That would be the day, a sight to see.  A dream come true.

#47 OFFLINE   LFA

LFA

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,085 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, BBR, Frontiart, GTSpirit, MR
  • Proud Citizen of: sg

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:32 AM

View PostThorst13, on 04 July 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

I would rather save my 1:18 money for the next years and put a solid down payment on the real thing instead. Posted Image Posted Image
Amen. :agreed:

#48 ONLINE   Sanchez

Sanchez

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, CMC, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: kz

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:50 AM

Best for me would be if they renew the contract.
If not I hope Welly gets it!
To me it would be absolutely logical as Ferrari is looking for someone who can produce models in different scales and for different customers - from kid's simple 1:64 to collector's precise 1:18.
Plus this company has to have access to markets in all parts of the world, toy shop chains. Welly is the exact company.
Yeah I know AutoArt also produces all kind of stuff from toilet paper holders to ties but they are mostly focused on expensive 1:18 models and can be found only in few shops.
Another great options would be Norev, Sun Star, Rastar.

Edited by Sanchez, 04 July 2014 - 02:51 AM.

#49 OFFLINE   aydincan

aydincan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 850 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: tr

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:01 AM

Do not ignore Minichamps :yahoo:, it would be an option with their new resin and composit material line  :rolleyes:

#50 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,678 posts
  • Interests:Cars and living life to the full
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, FrontiArt..... Well anything except minichamps

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:18 AM

View Postsilverstar189, on 04 July 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

You know that all of you brand-name snobs

I'm sick of comments like this. Some people collect high end models. It doesn't mean that they belittle anyone who doesn't.

I think he means the people who call the lesser brands cheap toys.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use