cat777

• DX Community
  • 93 posts
  • Favorite Brands:cmc
  • Proud Citizen of:gr

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:59 AM

I had an answer from one of Europe's largest wholesellers

Burago/Maisto group take the Ferrari rights from 2015

So we are good for cheap Ferraris and CMC, BBR, MR will continue their high end series. We only remain to see who will make the middle series, hopefully Kyosho.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#52 OFFLINE   Teejay

Teejay

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 900 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:pt

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

View Post118supercars, on 04 July 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

You know that all of you brand-name snobs saying "Maisto and Norev and such are toys and they don't deserve the license" are basically setting it up so AutoArt can get the license and sell Ferrari models for what will be no less than $300, possibly upwards of $500?

So, whoever has an opinion that doen´t match yours deserves a label?

For ME, Maisto, Bb, Mondo,etc. are more toyish. Norev is far better but inferior to Elite models.
I wouldn´t be interested in Maisto, etc, Ferrari models... why does that make me a snob? Why does everyboby feel the need to bash others way of collecting?

I would never buy resin models, but you don´t see me calling snobs to people that only collect MR and Frontiart...

#53 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

Do you know who is the biggest snob of all? Ferrari. They are picky just about everything from their partners to whoever produces their merchandise, even on their clients. Their arrogance is echoing Enzo Ferrari's personality even though he has gone (god bless his soul) for 20 plus years.

I personally would not like to see Autoart becoming the next exclusive Ferrari licensee and holds all the cards. They would have monopolised the diecast market and by then we all would be at their mercy for ever inflated prices and endless teases of upcoming models with no real release dates. I reckon Kyosho would be an ideal maker as they have good track record to prove it minus their QC issues and blistering paint. Heck even if Maisto does get to produce Ferrari models again in the same way as some of their recent releases I would be very happy too. The best thing would still be putting the end to exclusive licencing and let every maker (may it be premium or budget) to have a go at it thus keeping everyone happy.

#54 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,954 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

View Postcat777, on 04 July 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

Holy cow, that is bad...
Wes

#55 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,678 posts
  • Interests:Cars and living life to the full
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, FrontiArt..... Well anything except minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostTSMFAN, on 04 July 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

Holy cow, that is bad...

Why? Many of us wouldn't be here if it wasn't for those 2 brands.
It's also good for people who can't spend £200+ on models.
There's still BBR and MR for everyone who wants the high end Ferraris
Posted Image

#56 OFFLINE   Andy205

Andy205

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Interests:Anything with wheels. Casio G Shock watches. Vehicle detailing.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, HWE, Norev

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

I groaned when Mattel won the licence originally - I thought they'd be toys and stopped buying diecasts pretty much completely.

I was wrong and if this is true then it's a real shame as they've developed an affordable range of classic and contemporary Fezzas.

Whilst the Foundation/Elite/Super Elite stragey is a tad cynical it does allow people at different budget points to be able to own a decent diecast and in shape and shelf presence from a few feet away most wouldn't know the difference - my HEW 458 Coupe sits happily next to its cheap (Spyder) brother and I'm not tempted to upgrade at all.

EDIT as I posted prematurely!!! If Maisto have the licence then that's no bad thing but I will say that *I* don't rate Maisto's details as being as fine/accurate/delicate/whatever(!) as Hot Wheels/HWE right now - if anything they seem to be inconsistent.

By this I use my Maisto Viper Coupe as an example - new(ish) release and a stunner. Well detailed, accurate etc. Compared to some other recent models they've done with shonky detailing it's strange for me that they seem to be so hit-or-miss in this day & age that example would be the Vette C7 which was poorly finished (paint on bumpers, A pillars and so on) so I moved it on.

They are incredibly cheap to be fair (at around £12 for a 1:18 in Costco over here) I don't mind personally paying the prices I can get Hot Wheels/HWE for as I like the level of detail so I hope that if it's true, Maisto will do the Ferrari badge justice - I'm sure they will be paying a LOT for the rights!!

It's worth remembering that the licence must have extended to all Mattel products made with the Ferrari branding - from HWSE right down to 1:64's at £1.50 so I reckon the potential revenue is pretty significant as at the lower price bracket it won't just be collectors who buy them - I add the little cars for my son, just to get him playing with cars for example; not collecting as they get battered pretty quickly lol.

I hope that doesn't come across as being a snob - I'm the opposite as I'll buy the models I like regardless of manufacturer or price - if anything I avoid the more expensive models as I either can't afford them or don't want to spend hundreds on a single model - but I fully understand also that some do focus on the higher end stuff.

Horses for courses and all that :)

Edited by Andy205, 04 July 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   Andy205

Andy205

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Interests:Anything with wheels. Casio G Shock watches. Vehicle detailing.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, HWE, Norev

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostRyan, on 04 July 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

Holy cow, that is bad...

Damned right - my first one (first few as it goes) were BBurago and I still have most of them sitting proudly next to more recent and expensive cars.

I won't stretch to BBR/MR myself - hell a couple of them would part restore my 1:1 - but there's room for everyone in the hobby, budget, high end, a mix of both and so on, surely?

#58 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

Holy cow, that is bad...

It's also good for people who can't spend 200+ on models.

I don't collect resin models, so for me, there is no high quality alternative. There is a hole in the market. As for me scorning Bburago/Maisto, I prefer quality over quantity. My collection is not just for show, but an investment as well. Bburagos and Maistos don't appreciate. They're basically worthless as soon as you buy them. Many of my Autoarts had incredible details and appreciated in value over time (when I sold them). The anti-climax of opening the hood on a Maisto model (hell, even Hot Wheels) is pretty palpable. There needs to be a high quality alternative for diecast collectors. Kyosho sucks with their paint longevity (or lack thereof). I'll be cranky for as long as that hole in the market exists.
Wes

#59 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,678 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, FrontiArt..... Well anything except minichamps

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

@andy: The bburago and maisto F40 and F40 ain't bad considering their age, pretty god models. The maisto mclaren SLR is a brilliant model too.

@TSMfan: who could full the gap though???? Obviously many of us don't want kyosho to do it, for obvious reasons. None of us really want AUTOart to have it.
What about TSM?

Posted Image

#60 OFFLINE   BobSalawalatski

BobSalawalatski

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 297 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

I think the ideal solution would be to have Welly fill the gap, because their models have seriously great levels of detail for the price, but I don't know if they would take their prices high enough for Maisto/Bburago to let them share Ferrari.

TSM's 1:18 Diecasts are still unproven. Their stuff looks good at a distance in photos of their displays at toy expos and such, but we just don't know how their stuff will turn out in reality. I know they have had some issues with tires melting, so that is a concern much like Kyosho's paint rash.

Minichamps could possibly do it, but we all know how bad that would be.

That really leaves just AUTOart, at least until TSM proves themselves, which judging by the 1:43s I have from them, they will.

Edited by BobSalawalatski, 04 July 2014 - 09:34 AM.

Posted Image

Tesla Model ≡ Reservation Holder

#61 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

Minichamps getting the licence would be worse than if Hitler had got the atomic bomb.
No way should they ever get it. Let them carry on ruining the other models they do instead of ruining ferrari.

If AUTOart get it then expect to pay near resin prises for models with too much plastic and terrible QC, and also a 4 year wait on each model.

I don't think TSM need to prove themselves with 1:18 models???? All the ones I've seen are fantastic. I can't wait for their F1 LM.
Posted Image

#62 OFFLINE   BobSalawalatski

BobSalawalatski

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostRyan, on 04 July 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

Minichamps getting the licence would be worse than if Hitler had got the atomic bomb.
No way should they ever get it. Let them carry on ruining the other models they do instead of ruining ferrari.

If AUTOart get it then expect to pay near resin prises for models with too much plastic and terrible QC, and also a 4 year wait on each model.

I don't think TSM need to prove themselves with 1:18 models???? All the ones I've seen are fantastic. I can't wait for their F1 LM.

Have they put out 1:18 diecasts, or just resins?

I know they've made some good resins, but making a diecast model is very different.

Posted Image

#63 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

TSM is still new and they've had serious tire and paint issues, plus the occasional (read frequent) QC mishaps, which I can attest to personally.

I would love for Autoart to have it.

Minichamps. Sure why not, but preferably not cause they've been really crappy lately.
Wes

#64 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,275 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

TSM are not new to the hobby, and iirc the only car I've seen from them with a paint problem was a Tyrell F1 car.

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#65 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostCraig, on 04 July 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

TSM are not new to the hobby, and iirc the only car I've seen from them with a paint problem was a Tyrell F1 car.

They do mostly diecast classic F1 cars don't they, Craig?
Posted Image

#66 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

And some Le Mans racers, Can Am cars
Wes

#67 OFFLINE   mobius

mobius

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, and Elite.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostAffi, on 03 July 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

Sad news imho, I loved seeing the HWE Ferrari's.. Why would Hotwheels don't want to produce any more Ferrari's? The only reason must be that the profit is not there?
I hope for all you die hard Ferrari collectors that a reasonable manufacturer will get it. Same buck same bang Posted Image  

And no sealed or resinPosted Image

I saw this coming. Always aware that their contract was going to expire soon and my gut feeling was they're not going to renew. Why? Even if they're still making profit with Mattel Elite, it might be very minimal compared to Mattel's overall revenue and profit.  When you're a company that large, you want to focus only on product categories that are truly generating revenue for the long-term health of the company. I have this experience first-hand because our company has sold many of our subsidiaries over the years despite being profitable.  If the subsidiary is only contributing 1% to revenue, it makes more sense to sell it and use the money for investment if your target return-on-investment (ROI) is 3-5%.  The 3-5% ROI figure is the key here. I'm 100% certain the exclusive Ferrari license to produce premium diecast doesn't even constitute 1% of Mattel's revenue every year considering the niche market of the diecast hobby today and the huge size of Mattel.

As a personal note, I hope Kyosho gets it.  Yes, they screwed up the recent Ferrari 355 but every maker screws up a model here and there. Autoart is a good example with the recent LP570-4 Gallardo's (ride-height, door gap issues, wrong front bumper, etc.).  Atleast Kyosho's price is more affordable than Autoart's.  The "recent" Kyosho High-end F40 LW for instance, is only ~$160 whereas the starting price for a Autoart Millennium Porsche 1950 356 (the model I've been wanting but can't justify its price-tag) is $160.  Considering that Kyosho still has a relationship with Ferrari, I have confidence that Kyosho will get the exclusive rights.

Edited by mobius, 04 July 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#68 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2,206 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:bg

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

If Bburago is getting the Ferrari deal then great. I may actually give other companies a wake up call and stop hiking their prices on a montly basis. At least I hope that it will go that way and not Bburago hiking its prices...

On another note..

View PostThorst13, on 04 July 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

I would rather save my 1:18 money for the next years and put a solid down payment on the real thing instead. :occasion14: :twocents:

What are you getting? :))

I'll be back
Posted Image
Clear the decks, the Rammstein tanker is once again under steam!
www.diecast-utopia.com
stuffedparty.com
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#69 OFFLINE   Thorst13

Thorst13

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit, HWE.
  • Proud Citizen of:no

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

View PostT1000, on 04 July 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

Off topic warning!
My ideal "affordable" combo at the moment would be an E61 M5 and a Lotus Exige, but I would really like to own an all black Ferrari 355 GTB some day. :occasion14:

Should the dream ever come true that BRG McLaren F1 is waiting......
Posted Image

#70 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostThorst13, on 04 July 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

Off topic warning!
My ideal "affordable" combo at the moment would be an E61 M5 and a Lotus Exige, but I would really like to own an all black Ferrari 355 GTB some day. :occasion14:

The V10 M5 is going cheap these days... I want another focus RS :(

Edited by Ryan, 04 July 2014 - 11:42 AM.

Posted Image

#71 ONLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9,143 posts
  • Number of Models:350+
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART Highway 61 Hot Wheels Elite Ertl Authentics

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Lets not forget that GMP did Ferrari models in the past and they have some BIG announcements coming up, fingers crossed!

Also Autoart is doing Maserati MC12's so it would be likely that they are getting the Ferrari rights to some degree at least, perhaps the "High end" diecast segment.

Edited by mairandeddy, 04 July 2014 - 01:59 PM.
housekeeping

Feel free to View My Collection Thread
http://www.diecastxc...and-collection/

It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates! Posted Image

#72 OFFLINE   haveblue

haveblue

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 209 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, CMC

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

This is the first time I've seen anything mentioned about them making a 312T T2. Does anyone know if this is true and when it will be released?

#73 OFFLINE   BobSalawalatski

BobSalawalatski

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostThorst13, on 04 July 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

Off topic warning!
My ideal "affordable" combo at the moment would be an E61 M5 and a Lotus Exige, but I would really like to own an all black Ferrari 355 GTB some day. Posted Image

Assuming you mean British Racing Green, you might have to get McLaren to repaint it, haha. The only McLaren F1 painted painted in that color originally was Chassis 023, and this is that same car now:

Posted Image

There are a couple of Dark Metallic Green ones, though. XP5 in the UK and 051 in Japan.

Edit: Oh yeah, and there's 56XPGT, the F1 GT which was painted Silverstone Green.

Edited by BobSalawalatski, 04 July 2014 - 01:20 PM.

Posted Image

#74 OFFLINE   wet sellery

wet sellery

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Hotwheels
  • Proud Citizen of:be

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Why would Maisto / Bburago be a bad alternative ?

They made great 1/18 models in the 80's. Comparing those models with Hot Wheels Elites from 2013 or 2014 is not fair. I'm sure that if they get a license from Ferrari they won't release their 30 year old models. But they will have new molds made and the quality will be a vast improvement over their old models.

Personally I don't think that 1 company will get the license from Hot Wheels/Mattel. I think that may companies will start or continue to build Ferrari models.

For me the big question is : "What will happen with the Hot Wheels moulds ?"

I don't think that Hot Wheels/Mattel will keep them in storage for years without lending or selling them to other companies.
Posted Image

#75 OFFLINE   Teejay

Teejay

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 900 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:pt

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

View PostTSMFAN, on 04 July 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

Holy cow, that is bad...

I don't collect resin models, so for me, there is no high quality alternative. There is a hole in the market. As for me scorning Bburago/Maisto, I prefer quality over quantity. My collection is not just for show, but an investment as well. Bburagos and Maistos don't appreciate. They're basically worthless as soon as you buy them. Many of my Autoarts had incredible details and appreciated in value over time (when I sold them). The anti-climax of opening the hood on a Maisto model (hell, even Hot Wheels) is pretty palpable. There needs to be a high quality alternative for diecast collectors. Kyosho sucks with their paint longevity (or lack thereof). I'll be cranky for as long as that hole in the market exists.

I don´t agree. There is no hole… Kyosho has the license correct? They are releasing Ferraris… 355 last year, 355 Challenge is coming, 365 GTB4 Competizione High End just arrived… So we should have more Kyosho Ferraris in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use