Interview with ricallen...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DiecastX_*

Guest_DiecastX_*

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:48 AM

I had the pleasure of meeting the aquantaince of Ric through eBay, as a seller he provided me some excellent models with top notch customer service. Upon sending him an email informing him about DX, he shortly became a member and a just about all of the guys in the motorcylce forum immediately knew him from their transactions with him :cheers

I can attest from winning his eBay auctions as well as numerous transactions away from eBay, Ric is a reputable eBay seller. As a fellow collector, I'm ecstatic about the fact that he is a member of DX all the while servicing the diecast community through his exceptional customer service through eBay.

And now for your reading pleasure.

DX:You've been an eBay seller for a couple of years now, how long has it actually been since you first started selling on eBay?

Ric: April 2002; so just over 2 years.

DX: Are you a buyer as well?

Ric: Absolutely! I am always on the lookout for a great addition to my collection. In fact, this was the primary reason I began selling on eBay to begin with, to help to finance my own collection! As my collection has grown I have found myself becoming much more particular, however, as to what bikes I purchase. Now I limit my purchases primarily to bikes that come equipped with a display stand.

I have actually considered it, but believe strongly in having intimate knowledge in the product you are selling.

DX: Most who recognize your name on eBay, associate you with selling motorcycles, have you ever thought about getting into selling other diecast items such as cars?

Ric: I have actually considered it, but believe strongly in having intimate knowledge in the product you are selling. As I am not currently a collector of diecast cars, I would want to be so first prior to trying to sell them. I have seen that there is a great passion associated with collecting these vehicles and a very high level of knowledge held by the collectors, so I would not want to simply assume to know what they are looking for.

DX: As a cycling enthusiast and entrepreneur, tell us a little about your motorcycle collection.

Ric: I currently have around 300 diecast motorcycles of all types and manufacturers, including Guiloy, Welly, Maisto, Saico, ATL, Majorette, Motormax, Ertl, etc. While some collectors stick with one area of bikes (e.g., sport bikes), my collection really runs the gamut, with every class of motorcycle included. Once you see your collection start to grow, you really begin to understand how much the sport of motorcycling has grown and how many different motorcycle choices there are out there! What an incredible variety is available out there!

DX: Any favorites of the bunch?

Ric: I am particularly fond of the Kawasaki Vulcans I have in my collection by Majorette. Both the VN1500 and the VN1500 Nomad. Those are a little more difficult to locate now, though I would imagine they still turn up now and then in Europe. The detail on those particular models in very impressive, especially for a 1:18 scale. Another favorite would be by ATL, the Yamaha XS1100 Midnight Special. That particular bike is really hard to find and is wonderfully detailed! Looks just like the real thing.

DX: You have a great enthusiasm for diecast bikes, was this spawned by your taste for the real thing?

Ric: Absolutely! I have been a motorcycle fanatic since I was 16 and I purchased my first ride (a very old Yamaha Special 350). My diecast collection, though, was actually started by my wife. I had seen the diecast bikes by Maisto in the local Wal-Mart, but never really thought twice about them. Then my wife purchased several of them for me, and that was all it took. Once I had one, then I simply had to have another, and so on, and so on. Didn't take long before my home office was basically filled!

DX: Being that you reside in one of the greatest motorcycle riding states, California, I'm sure saddle time is plentiful. How long have you been riding and what type of riding do you prefer?

Ric: Yes, I must admit we California riders are very, very spoiled! I have been riding for about 20 years, and absolutely love cruising. I have ridden primarily cruisers throughout my life (metric).

DX: As your looking for a new bike, what are you considering?

Ric: I am definitely leaning towards a Honda Valkyrie. I have also considered purchasing a Vulcan Nomad, but I have a very high regard for Honda quality and reliability. As I can easily ride over 20,000 miles per year, reliability is a huge factor for me.

Dx: I see that your pride and joy is proudly displayed in your signature, any plans that we will have a future motorcyclist with her?

Ric: Absolutely!! She simply loves her Daddy's collection, and I have found it necessary to "sacrifice" several of them to her for her enjoyment (okay, I admit they were duplicates). I cannot wait to get her on the back of my bike. I have another older daughter as well who used to get a ride to school every day on the back of my bike. Used to make a neat impression with her friends to see her roll up on a big old cruiser!

DX: Your prolly known as the coolest dad throughout the school :lol

the quality definitely has varied greatly in the past. However, lately I have seen the gap closing to some degree,

DX: In the past year, we have some really nice models come out from various manufacturers, what new releases should we expect in the near future?

Ric: Well, I personally am very anxious to see the new releases coming out from Maisto. They seem to be the one manufacturer in particular who is expanding (and improving) their product line. I cannot wait to see what the new RUNE looks like.

DX: The quality and details of bikes vary from manufacturer, sometimes even in the same price range. In a unfair comparison of budget models to premiere models, do you have a preference of brands?

Ric: No doubt, you are correct: the quality definitely has varied greatly in the past. However, lately I have seen the gap closing to some degree, in particular with Maisto, whose quality (in my opinion) has been increasing as of late. Throw in the extremely low price of their product, and you can see that you really do get your money's worth for them.

Welly, too, has progressed as well, though they are often slightly more expensive.

Yat Ming is still producing relatively good quality, but their selection is dropping dramatically, and they have not produced any new models in several years.

As for my personal preferences, Majorettes are generally the most impressive when it comes to the details. Their main problem is portability, as they often will not ship too well (they often break free of their stands). For realism, however, I believe they are top-notch.

Now, I only collect (and sell) 1:18 scale models, so there could be an entirely different conversation on the quality of the 1:12 scale models. I believe the quality differences are much more prevalent among the different manufacturers of those models, as I have seen many discussion relating to them in the posts within.

I would like to think that when someone sees my user id, they can feel confident that they will get what they paid for in a very timely manner and as described.

DX: As a eBay seller, there is no shortage of competition as a lot of sellers carry the same merchandise. One of the things that I noticed from your auctions compared to others is the picture with the mirror base. Besides the appearance of the auction itself, what other methods do you use to separate your auctions form other sellers?

Ric: Indeed, you really do see a lot of the same items over and over. And while I believe that a good picture is very important in order to entice prospective buyers, it is really not the main point for me. Rather, I actually do a lot of repeat business, and am always willing to "cut deals" with just about anyone who is a collector. All they ever have to do is ask. I am really not "profit driven" when it comes to my sales in that regard. I would like to think that when someone sees my user id, they can feel confident that they will get what they paid for in a very timely manner and as described. This is the competitive advantage I strive for.

In order to provide quality service, I limit myself to the type of sales I can handle, and one online auction site is more than enough to accommodate that.

DX: The original concept of eBay was for the sale of private goods, however, those days are long gone. It now has a more commercial face with retailers and shop owners using it as a method to sell their merchandise. Have this impacted the smaller private sellers in a negative or positive way, or does it have any impact at all.

Ric: Good question. No doubt, the influx of "larger retailers" within eBay has definitely had an adverse effect on the smaller sellers, such as myself. When I first began selling diecasts, there were very few sellers. Basic economics kicked in though, as demand increased, the supply had to keep up with it. New sellers came on like crazy, flooding the market. In many respects, though, this was good for collectors, as it generally brought the prices down considerably. Several years ago, I saw many, many collectors take a stab at selling, and was always glad to help them out with any questions that they might have had. Most have long since quit, however, due to the amount of work that is actually involved and the increased competition.

DX: Do you currently sell on any other auction sites?

Ric: Nope… just eBay. I believe to do a good job as a seller, you really have to be willing to put some time into it. (I think we can all relate to bad experiences we have had on eBay, and many of those are likely from people who did not have that same philosophy!) In order to provide quality service, I limit myself to the type of sales I can handle, and one online auction site is more than enough to accommodate that.

DX: Occasionally that one rare gem of a bike will come along and will fetch a pretty penny. Have you had the pleasure of adding a rare bike to your collection?

Ric: Ahhh… that never-ending search for the perfect addition!! (Never-ending is really the key phrase there, for as any enthusiast likely knows, no collection is really ever complete!) Some of my favorite finds came from another seller I have done much trading with. He sent me some very rare Guiloy American models (the non-licensed Harley models) that you just never see available. He also sent them to me for a steal… less in fact than you could originally purchase them at retail. I also managed to locate to Honda VT1100 Ace models from the now defunct ATL, both of which were of much better quality and detail than the Maisto version of the same bike.

DX: As a fellow motorcycle collector and rider, what can we expect from you in the future in regards to the hobby of diecast motorcycle collecting?

Ric: Primarily, just keeping up the collection as best as I can. I am a little more particular about what I add to the collection now. As I mentioned earlier, I no longer collect any models that do no come with a display stand, which helps to keep me "in check" somewhat!

Moreover, though, what I hope to continue to do through the business is to keep meeting other collectors from around the country and the world! This has really been the best result from all the sales (or purchases) I have made over the years. I have met numerous collectors that I have been able to keep in touch with, all with the same interests in mind -- the love of motorcycles! Not a bad by-product of my little eBay business if you ask me!

Ric, thanks for your time in speaking with us, much appreciated. I look forward to more of your auctions in the future as well. :cheers

All content are physical and intellectual property of © 2003 www.DiecastXchange.com. All rights reserved.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 Guest_Getter 3_*

Guest_Getter 3_*

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:52 PM

Another excellent interview.   :nicejob  :cheers

I've never knew he was a seller.  It's good to know we have another honest & dependable person to deal with (him, being a DX member is definitely a big plus).   :cheers

#3 OFFLINE   LUW

LUW

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: br
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Minichamps & Ky

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:15 PM

Nice Darrick, very nice. Ric seems to be a great guy. thanks for the interview. :cheers
Luciano

#4 OFFLINE   castrol_supra_gt

castrol_supra_gt

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Cars, diecast cars, video games, computers
  • Proud Citizen of: gb
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:AUTOart

Posted 29 June 2004 - 04:26 PM

I had no idea that he was a seller either. Ric definitely seems like a nice, down-to-earth guy. Thanks again for the interview. :cheers
Darren

#5 OFFLINE   JSB 33

JSB 33

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,496 posts
  • Interests:Family, Cars (1:1 & 1:43) Automotive books, Guns, yard work and gardening
  • Proud Citizen of: us
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:M/C, Spark, Bizarre

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:00 PM

Ric has always come across as a nice guy and now I can see why...
He is! :cheers
Great read :nicejob
Jeff
"When politicians are arrogant enough to think they can plan and control life better than free people, people suffer."

Posted ImageE Rod_017, on 23 July 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Reason why 1:43 scale cars aren't that popular because most people including me(sorry it I offend) consider them toys and not Collectable model cars. .

Should you collect 1:43?

The Paladin

In my opinion, no if you can afford 1:18 models. First of all, most people will think of them as toys, while 1:18 models can look as something classy if you have a few.

Like things in a smaller scale? Try Scale143
Click on my banner to see my website
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   StygianMax

StygianMax

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18,387 posts
  • Interests:Most vehicles with wheels....just not shopping carts.
  • Proud Citizen of: ca
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:None at the moment

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:55 PM

That was a wonderful interview to read.  Ric comes across as a guy with a lot of class. Thanks Darrick for making that interview possible.  :cheers
Felix (Click banner to see my diecast website)

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Minichamps

Posted 29 June 2004 - 06:54 PM

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!  Means a lot coming from the type of people I have been fortunate to see in this forum!  

:cheers

Ric
r i c

Click on my banner below to go to The Diecast Gallery!
Posted Image
Got questions? See the DX Guidelines and more here!

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is pretty much the same.

#8 OFFLINE   SilentHobbes

SilentHobbes

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Diecast model cars, plastic model cars (when I get back to it), cars in general...
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Maisto

Posted 29 June 2004 - 06:56 PM

Great interview.  I enjoyed reading it.   :cheers
A very fine work done by calgary7er

Posted Image

#9 Guest_RHD_*

Guest_RHD_*

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:41 PM

great interview Darrick and Ric :cheers

it was a good read :cheers

#10 OFFLINE   BVR

BVR

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Interests:Music, classic cars
  • Proud Citizen of: nl
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:AUTOart

Posted 30 June 2004 - 04:51 AM

Nice read!!!  :cheers
Thanks to ricallen and DX for the great interview!!!  :danbanna  :cheers

#11 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Silver Member

• DX Administrative Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16,143 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:25 AM

Great interview Darrik and Ric! :cheers I't great to know about you selling bikes on eBay. I might need some help locating a few.

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#12 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:54 AM

acisne, on Jun 30 2004, 07:25 AM, said:

Great interview Darrik and Ric! :cheers I't great to know about you selling bikes on eBay. I might need some help locating a few.
Feel free to email me at any time if you need some help tracking something down!

Ric
r i c

Posted Image

#13 Guest_CollectorX_*

Guest_CollectorX_*

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:10 PM

The interview was great DX and ricallen! Theres always something interesting anf fun to learn in these interviews. It was a great read. :nicejob

#14 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 8,810 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:03 PM

Way to go Ric!!!  Awesome interview!   :nicejob  :nicejob  :nicejob

See ya on the Cali back roads (if you're ever in the Monterey area, let me know)!

Duc

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#15 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:02 PM

Ducati-900SS, on Jul 7 2004, 08:03 PM, said:

Way to go Ric!!!  Awesome interview!   :nicejob  :nicejob  :nicejob

See ya on the Cali back roads (if you're ever in the Monterey area, let me know)!

Duc
Will do, Duc!  Thanks!

Ric
r i c

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use