• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,981 posts
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:38 AM

View PostCraig, on 06 November 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

I've been collecting the Le Mans winners from the late 1970's onwards, but to be honest some of the cars don't interest me at all, like the 2004 & 2005 Audi's etc, they are quite boring. I am considering downsizing, the thing is I can't just sell those. I'd have to sell all of the ones that don't mean so much to me, like the 1999 BMW V12 & Peugeot 905's too. All models are new & boxed. It would free up a lot of cash for new models, so maybe I'll do it :gaah:

I think streamlining of one's collection is a good idea.

I've recently sold 6 'non essential' models and with the money bought 2 that I really wanted. Good for saving space too.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I want every single one of my models to be a model I really like, not simply bought to complete a set (if that makes sense).
:adore:Posted Image Because fanboy.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

I know what you mean, I've got so many though, that's the thing. Most of them are brand new & still boxed (in storage) The list is endless. I will give scaling down the Le Mans ones some thought.
I tend to buy models I like as an actual car. I have a lot of German stuff (I have about 75 Porsche 911's alone) plus French cars & iconic super cars etc.

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#28 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,981 posts
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:06 AM

How many can you display at a time? How many would that be as a percentage of your collection?

I'd feel it a shame if I couldn't display my models and they had to sit in their boxes out of sight. I don't think you can enjoy them otherwise, but then that's personal opinion.

Alternatively, buy a bigger house!! :nice:
:adore:Posted Image Because fanboy.

#29 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

View Postg3org3y, on 06 November 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

How many can you display at a time? How many would that be as a percentage of your collection?

I'd feel it a shame if I couldn't display my models and they had to sit in their boxes out of sight. I don't think you can enjoy them otherwise, but then that's personal opinion.

Alternatively, buy a bigger house!! :nice:
A few are out, but not many. The worst thing is selling something & regretting it, I hate that!! Plus when you go to get it again, the price is more. Yeah the last part is something that needs sorting :(

Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   Autobahn

Autobahn

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,374 posts
  • Interests:F1, TopGear, and the St. Louis Cardinals
  • Number of Models:140
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit, Norev, OTTO
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostCraig, on 06 November 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

A few are out, but not many. The worst thing is selling something & regretting it, I hate that!! Plus when you go to get it again, the price is more. Yeah the last part is something that needs sorting :(

I am trying to scale down my collection and I'm having a similar issue.  I, too, have limited display space, so I have 20 or so on display and another 100+ in boxes in my basement walk-in closet.  Although I don't have the space to display my whole collection at the moment, I hope to do so someday, and I can't bear the thought of selling models I may want again someday.  I've been there, done that, and I've paid too much to get those cars back into my collection!  Thus, I have to be smart and strategic about what I part with and what I keep. There are a couple of models (specifically, the AUTOart GT2 RS and GT3 RS) that I want to sell and purchase again in different colors, but I'm in no rush to do that because it seems like those models aren't selling as fast as I thought they might.  At least I already know that the models I bought 'twice' are keepers- there's no way I'll let them go again!  :nice:
Matt

Recent Purchases:
GT Spirit F82 BMW M4 M Performance, Alpine White

#31 OFFLINE   Gavin

Gavin

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostAutobahn, on 06 November 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Although I don't have the space to display my whole collection at the moment, I hope to do so someday, and I can't bear the thought of selling models I may want again someday.

this is exactly how I feel...I sell occasionally, but my thinking is buy what I can now.  When I'm able to get displays done, I can always sell what doesn't fit then.

Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,126 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostCraig, on 06 November 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

I know what you mean, I've got so many though, that's the thing......

If it's not to personal a question Craig, how many models do you actually own .....you must have MILLIONS!! ?? :nice:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#33 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

Umm, I have quite a lot ;)

Posted Image

#34 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Photography
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart and CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: si

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

Don't sell it.
When Autoart released Maybach 62 the green one I bought it.. I liked it a lot. This was one of the first 10 Autoart models in my collection.
The collection get bigger and bigger and I decided to sell that Maybach. It was too big ( long ) and I don't know.. I lost interest in Maybach.
So I sold it. After few years prices rized like hell and I was sad I sold it ( Not bicasue price increase ). That model have small interesting background for me. But I said ok, I didn't liked it at all..
Last year I bought another Green Maybach 62, the price was lowered and it was good deal. I got it .. But again it was too big,... I got a buyer in 1 week after I bought it. And I sold it.
A few months after the guy who bought my first Maybach put it for sale. And I bought it again.. But.. I don't have it because It was too long.
I also miss some other models I sold. But I focused on Lambos and some other hyper cars and classics..

#35 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:00 AM

I have seen the prices that some of the Le Mans cars fetch now, I don't need the money etc so I would just put it into other models. The thing is, I like the early 2000 cars they're Maisto's etc, but I still like them :gaah:  I'm not in a rush to sell etc, so maybe I'll have change my mind in a few months  :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   Classyceta

Classyceta

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 339 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Greenlight, AutoArt

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:14 AM

I've recently sold 6 'non essential' models and with the money bought 2 that I really wanted. Good for saving space too.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I want every single one of my models to be a model I really like, not simply bought to complete a set (if that makes sense).

Same here...I recently sold my "non essential" Models and bought some quality models that I wanted. So I basically used that $$ to buy newer models which you know are getting very expensive!

Will I regret it....? Maybe on a couple of them but not now.

Edited by Classyceta, 11 January 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#37 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,143 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:02 PM

View PostClassyceta, on 11 January 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

Same here...I recently sold my "non essential" Models and bought some quality models that I wanted. So I basically used that $$ to buy newer models which you know are getting very expensive!

Will I regret it....? Maybe on a couple of them but not now.

Probably not. I sold A LOT of non-essential models last year and I'm having difficulty even remembering which ones they were. Usually if you're willing to sell a model, that already means that you never really liked it that much.
Wes

#38 OFFLINE   Classyceta

Classyceta

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 339 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Greenlight, AutoArt

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

Agreed. I would say I have a couple in my collection that I am partial on...they are the ones that I always contemplate to sell or not to sell.

#39 OFFLINE   Snail

Snail

• DX Community
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Anything car-related, skiing & scotch
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart / Norev

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:22 AM

I'm just starting, so I have the flexibility of setting a focus (and restraint) on my collection.

I'm still waiting on my Norev 1/18 mk1 GTI. :) I will probably build a 1/18 garage and have a total of 2-3 Volkswagen or Porsche models in there.

#40 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostSnail, on 10 February 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

I'm just starting, so I have the flexibility of setting a focus (and restraint) on my collection.

I'm still waiting on my Norev 1/18 mk1 GTI. :) I will probably build a 1/18 garage and have a total of 2-3 Volkswagen or Porsche models in there.
You say that now...

Posted Image

#41 OFFLINE   3rd gen owner

3rd gen owner

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Cars big and small especially my 1:1 1987 Pontiac Firebird
  • Favorite Brands:Any one really

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostCraig, on 10 February 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostSnail, on 10 February 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

You say that now...
I agree that 2-3 will turn into 20-30 by next year.
I try to keep my collection focused on american cars only I even had a gone in 60 seconds type shopping list minus the names of specific cars I want with a set limit of around 50 cars but there's at least 6 or 7 cars that I own that aren't on the list and aren't american cars. I had a craving for a little French Italian Swedish and Japanese.
1987 Pontiac Firebird base model
2.8 V6. 4 speed automatic overdrive transmission
American racing outlaw II wheels
All original except for a possibly lowered front suspension and 29,000 miles on a rebuilt engine

#42 OFFLINE   wrx_triggerhappy

wrx_triggerhappy

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4,946 posts
  • Number of Models:Lost count
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, ERTL, SC, Greenlight

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

Setting a limit with diecast.....
Posted Image

Watch out for the cravings. I fell to the cravings....it wasn't pretty. Course they are all pretty to look at.

Posted Image

Sam

Recent Additions:
Not much since the wife controls me and the money and the 93 octane isn't cheap!

my collection

#43 OFFLINE   seppuku

seppuku

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,962 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Eidolon, BBR, Tecnomodel, MR,

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

Focus very difficult sometimes....easy to stray elsewhere....

So many attractive goodies getting released constantly...

My advice to take deep breaths every time you see something you and think....

If it lasts longer than 10 seconds, then it's probably not for your collection...:)

"I have to admit I dont understand 1:43. 1:12 and larger I get, but most 1:43 I have seen (MOST) dont look like real cars. They are usually off in some way."

-lateapex

#44 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Favorite Brands:. . .
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:26 PM

I'd rather say, buy what makes you happy. . . In my case, I'm collecting all street BMW's and other cars I like in 1:18. And with BMW's there are some models which I got only because they are BMW's but in no sense do they make me happy, but with non BMW's. . . Almost every single one I like and I'm looking forward seeing it on a shelf. And to be honest, for each one of them I know exactly why did I got it and what takes my breath away when I look at that model. . .

#45 OFFLINE   Snail

Snail

• DX Community
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Anything car-related, skiing & scotch
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart / Norev

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

View PostCraig, on 10 February 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

You say that now...

Well, we'll see. I've got to keep the place clean, as I'm not alone living here. She's ok with a few of them, but there's no way I can have a whole wall dedicated to these things.

#46 OFFLINE   old caddys

old caddys

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Favorite Brands:M2 & Signature, minichamps for F1, Autoworld & Greenlight

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

I've been collecting less than a year, and started off with a couple of 1/24 presidential limos and it went from there. I quickly realized that space to display them would become an issue. I focus primarily on 1/64, 1/43, and 1/24 scales and like older cars both foreign and domestic, along with the muscle cars from the 60s and 70s. I have all my cars displayed on a 5 shelf bookcase and need to get display cases for my 1/18 and 1/24 models to free up some shelf space. I have the 1/32 scale models, which right now are mostly old Cadillacs displayed in my office at work.

Edited by old caddys, 25 March 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#47 OFFLINE   Venom

Venom

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,599 posts
  • Interests:Scale models, videogames, 3d modeling, aviation, anime, R/C models
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Spark, Ignition Models, HPI, GT Spirit

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:24 AM

While I don't have a true focus with my collection, I do tend to prioritize supercars, sports cars, and LeMans and other LMP/GT race cars. Almost all of my recent purchases have been something along those lines. I tend to focus on cars made after 1960 as well. For the most part I really just buy what I like lol

Edited by Venom, 27 March 2015 - 04:24 AM.

Posted Image

#48 OFFLINE   Canadian Wrench Head

Canadian Wrench Head

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 238 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Auto Art, HWE

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:10 AM

I didn't seek out to have a focus, it just kind of happened. Basically I just look at my collection so far and noticed it was Ferrari and Lamborghini. So thats what I'm focusing on at the moment.

Theres a bit of Porsche in there as well and Mclaren, but those two make up my general collection. If Auto Art ever makes AMG Black Series cars ill be all over them

#49 OFFLINE   neo_natasha

neo_natasha

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Stamps / Cars / Games
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: in

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:07 AM

This completing the set is what is making me twitch my fingers.

I started off my diecast 1:18's with a laser like focus on Lamborghini's I love. (Though I love quite a number of other brands, the models which I would want to showcase right next to my TV were these lamborghini's.

The Aventador J was the first, loved it. The reventon was next which is another model I admired, the muricelago was not something I wanted but I got them as a bunch so its there. The center piece of my collection would be Red Murci SV, which is perfect in every way. The Grey Reventon was an additional addon as it was available for good price and I dont mind another Reventon.

Gallardo Superelggera Verde another love of mine is on the way. LP720 was like, it would be perfect if I had just the LP720 or 700, it would complete my Lamborghini set which I had in mind earlier. I was not a big fan of the other cars in the Lambo family.

Now comes the problem, the sesto elemento was a model which I gave up because of its price and when I saw it for a decent price I snagged that. Now this is an addition to the original Lambo family I had in mind. Which slighly deviates from the focus. And if I get a Veneno or Countach or Diablo that is 100% because I want to complete a set and not because I love them. Which I deinitely do not want to do. I am content with this small family.

How about you guys ? Where do you draw a line ?

Edited by neo_natasha, 08 April 2015 - 12:13 AM.

#50 OFFLINE   Canadian Wrench Head

Canadian Wrench Head

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 238 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Auto Art, HWE

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:47 AM

ill say this.......I have sold so many things of mine that were just laying around the house. ld things that I didn't use anymore in order to raise some money for models. Its great!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use