jusali

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Too many to choose from
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

neo_natasha, on 08 April 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

How about you guys ? Where do you draw a line ?

There is no line :gaah:

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#52 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,381 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:13 AM

Very true!!

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#53 OFFLINE   Venom

Venom

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Interests:Scale models, videogames, 3d modeling, aviation, anime, R/C models
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Spark, Ignition Models, HPI, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:20 AM

neo_natasha, on 08 April 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

Where do you draw a line ?
What line? :lol:
I think I might have to make a pic of the diversity of my 1/18 collection soon...
Posted Image

#54 OFFLINE   Canadian Wrench Head

Canadian Wrench Head

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 231 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Auto Art, HWE
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:32 AM

just go with your hut instinct.........

#55 OFFLINE   wrx_triggerhappy

wrx_triggerhappy

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4,805 posts
  • Number of Models:Lost count
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, ERTL, SC, Greenlight

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:26 PM

Do you mean my Jabba the Hut instinct or my Pizza Hut instinct. Cause one sends people in the pit of despair and the other turns my stomach into the mess of despair......and that crosses the line. :omg: :omg:

Posted Image

Sam

Recent Additions:
Not much since the wife controls me and the money and the 93 octane isn't cheap!

my collection

#56 OFFLINE   minimalism

minimalism

• DX Community
  • 12 posts
  • Number of Models:4
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt
  • Proud Citizen of:cn

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:45 AM

I've seen many on the internet with massive collection and wondered how much do these people spend on their hobby. Cabinets after cabinets of mouthwatering diecast cars, it is insane!

However, I didn't have the space and money to spend on this hobby of ours that's why I'm limiting myself to 1/18 selected supercars with accessible interior and engine (ergo AutoArt). An example of this dilemma came on which to choose for the LaFerrari model - BBR or Hotwheels Elite. The BBR no doubt has the superior quality but with no opening doors, bonnets, or adjustable rear spoiler. The HWE on the other hand, has those features with average quality at the cost 3-4 times less than the BBR. Indeed, the limited run is very tempting but saving a few bucks here and there can get me another model in the future.

Also, I plan to collect cars my family/I've owned since young as a simple memorabilia of my history. This can come in either in 1/24 or 1/18 scale at a more affordable price.

#57 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,975 posts
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

minimalism, on 23 December 2015 - 12:45 AM, said:

I've seen many on the internet with massive collection and wondered how much do these people spend on their hobby. Cabinets after cabinets of mouthwatering diecast cars, it is insane!

However, I didn't have the space and money to spend on this hobby of ours

Many collections have been amassed over years. I'd hate to total the amount I've spent! :bawling: (Others might feel the same if they totalled the amount spending on alcohol or cigarettes!)

The more space you have the more 1/18s you can buy. There's never enough space. :nice:
:adore:Posted Image Because fanboy.

#58 OFFLINE   littlerockshhd

littlerockshhd

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,814 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:13 PM

A lot of those massive collects have been built over many many years, also models were a lot more affordable back in the day.

#59 OFFLINE   wrx_triggerhappy

wrx_triggerhappy

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4,805 posts
  • Number of Models:Lost count
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, ERTL, SC, Greenlight

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

:agreed:  Total truth. I can vouch to that. :occasion14:

Posted Image

Sam

Recent Additions:
Not much since the wife controls me and the money and the 93 octane isn't cheap!

my collection

#60 OFFLINE   minimalism

minimalism

• DX Community
  • 12 posts
  • Number of Models:4
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt
  • Proud Citizen of:cn

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

g3org3y, on 27 December 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

minimalism, on 23 December 2015 - 12:45 AM, said:

However, I didn't have the space and money to spend on this hobby of ours

Many collections have been amassed over years. I'd hate to total the amount I've spent! :bawling: (Others might feel the same if they totalled the amount spending on alcohol or cigarettes!)

The more space you have the more 1/18s you can buy. There's never enough space. :nice:

littlerockshhd, on 27 December 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

A lot of those massive collects have been built over many many years, also models were a lot more affordable back in the day.

While collections have been accumulated over the years, have you also felt an itch to grab that model or forever lose it attitude? It is so hard to find that balance considering that some models sell on a limited basis only.

#61 OFFLINE   littlerockshhd

littlerockshhd

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,814 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

Yes, all the time. It's not "now or never" however...it's more like "Get it while it's cheaper".

#62 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,372 posts
  • Interests:European patent prosecution
  • Favorite Brands:no favorite
  • Proud Citizen of:nl

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:41 PM

In my opinion, quite a number of modelcars are like fashion-items. At one time it's a must-have, a holy grail, but after a few years, and in case you still haven't bought it, you wouldn't care so much anymore. So don't pay too much attention to those limited numbered models.

Furthermore, an even better / faster / hotter super car or hyper car will always come, so don't push yourself to buy a model just to fill the gap, or because other people bought it, This is my way to limit my collection within 100 models.
Feel free to have a look of my collection on DX.
http://www.diecastxc...dels-kyosho-m5/

#63 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,845 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

ferrariforever, on 02 January 2016 - 12:41 PM, said:

In my opinion, quite a number of modelcars are like fashion-items. At one time it's a must-have, a holy grail, but after a few years, and in case you still haven't bought it, you wouldn't care so much anymore. So don't pay too much attention to those limited numbered models.

Furthermore, an even better / faster / hotter super car or hyper car will always come, so don't push yourself to buy a model just to fill the gap, or because other people bought it, This is my way to limit my collection within 100 models.

yes. This is why my collection goes backwards in terms of count. I almost reached 100 and now I'm at less than half that. Now with my collecting criteria, it feels like I will never reach 100
Wes

#64 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,955 posts
  • Interests:NFL, Auto racing, playing Pool, collecting large-scale diecast racing cars (1/18th and up)
  • Number of Models:123 (with two on the way)
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, GMP, Minichamps, Carousel 1, Auto Art

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:04 PM

As my long-time friends on DX know, I am exclusively a racing collector, nearly all 1/18th (with one or two spectacular exceptions) and mostly classic sports cars, with a sampling of GTs, F1s and the odd Richard Petty (or Dan Gurney) NASCAR stocker. As fewer diecasts from my chosen eras are made in favor of resins, it looks like I'll have to narrow my focus even more as the ones I prefer (especially Can-Am) are long out-of-production and consequently hideously expensive. I'm at 84 diecasts (and 1 resin) and counting...

I could find my missing releases if I switched to 1/43rd (I cringe regularly as one after another I see some Holy Grails never issued in the larger scale showing up in the miniature range), but I will stay tough - and go down with the 1/18ths!!!!
I just want someone whose baggage goes with mine [from "Rent"]...
- Red

My 1/18th collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...16/#entry557038

My 1/43rd collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...d-riverside-300

#65 ONLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,730 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of:pk

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

Attaboy Jersey - that's the spirit :yahoo: :occasion14: Like you I find myself wishing nearly every day that some high-end diecast manufacturer such as Exoto or CMC had made my favorite subject matter in 1/18 fully opening, namely F1 cars from 1967 to 2012. Alas most of the models are from Minichamps and Hot Wheels, and recently from Spark, and almost always sealed.

__________________________________________________________________________________
PROTECT ME FROM WHAT I WANT
Posted Image ;Posted Image
__________________________________________________________________________________

#66 OFFLINE   Magnus

Magnus

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 203 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:28 AM

I'm considering taking up a theme (contemporary British sports cars/supercars) to 'focus' my collecting - fortunately, it helps that the only upcoming models I'm interested in fit this criterion!

However, I don't seem to be able to bring myself to sell the cars I have that don't fit... yet.

#67 OFFLINE   Billwinkes

Billwinkes

• DX Community
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps/PMA, Autoart, Spark

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:02 PM

I have tried to limit myself to Porsche prototype racers. 906 and 906 lh, 907, 908/02 and 03, 910, 917K and 917L, 936, 956, 962, stopping there as that was the last series I saw racing.  As well, I have a sub collection of all available 956 liveries -- seven, so far.

#68 OFFLINE   rs200086

rs200086

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Favorite Brands:minichamps, Autoart

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

Probably around 75% of my collection is Ford Uk/USA
The rest are just random cars which catch my eye.

#69 OFFLINE   Alex

Alex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,108 posts
  • Interests:Sports Cars and Exotics: 90's-Present
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:33 AM

It's great to see such and interest in this topic. My collection would be MASSIVE and I would spend a lot more money if I was to broaden my horizons. For instance, I have a big interest in luxury cars as well. And the odd man out would be the Mercedes AMG 6x6. I'm in love with that thing and will purchase one. It'll be on my desk at work as it probably won't fit on my Bertby's anyway :nice:

Posted Image

#70 OFFLINE   Johan

Johan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Ottomobile, Autoart, Minichamps, Norev, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:dk

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:57 AM

I started in 2012 to collect "all the cars that I liked". That lead to spending way too much money and I ended up selling almost everything besides a few exclusives.

So last year I started again. I've always had a thing for BMW and especially the classics from the 70s and 80s and mainly road cars (with a few exceptions). That is working out really well and I purchase the models which I like. Luckily I know when a model is a must have and when it's not - that helps me a lot :smile:

I have a list of those models I want, so it's nice to cross out the ones I bought. I've paid big money for some models, but then I think of the money I save keeping my collection rather focused.

#71 OFFLINE   MerkurKing16

MerkurKing16

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Interests:Anything that is interesting
  • Favorite Brands:None

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:19 PM

Started with road (Ferrari mostly) and any race cars that I liked (Touring, GT, Group C, old and new Prototypes), then rally (Fords and Group B) and F1 (Ford/Cosworth branded).  Well after about a year collecting I soon realized that there's no way I'd be able to have everything (unfortunately).  I ended up with a random collection with no focus.  So, the street cars went first, then the race cars without a livery, then a lot of the pre-1980s cars.  Now I am pretty sure I'll sell off my rally cars.

I just collect race cars that fall into the following categories:
- Any Ford or Ford-related car (includes open wheels)
- Any Porsche
- Touring Cars & GT Cars (1980-ish to now / Excluding ones that don't interest me or have no historical significance like the Lotus Elise GT1)
- Any Shelby
- Older exemptions:  Corvettes that raced the Fords, Muscle cars from Trans-Am or Australian touring, BMWs and Mercedes that pique my interest, and the wonderful Ferrari 250 GTO
- Street exemptions:  Ferrari F40

My rule is normally 1 livery per car, but I ignore that rule for GT40s.

Next on the potential chopping block after the rally cars are a couple of BRE Datsuns, an Alfa Giulia GT and the Group C cars (this will be hard).

#72 OFFLINE   Dryden1877

Dryden1877

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Models, Football, Swimming, My Mondeo ST, Family
  • Number of Models:Growing collection, changes all the time
  • Favorite Brands:Any Company That Make Ford Models
  • Proud Citizen of:uk

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:48 PM

Alex, on 06 April 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

It's great to see such and interest in this topic. My collection would be MASSIVE and I would spend a lot more money if I was to broaden my horizons. For instance, I have a big interest in luxury cars as well. And the odd man out would be the Mercedes AMG 6x6. I'm in love with that thing and will purchase one. It'll be on my desk at work as it probably won't fit on my Bertby's anyway :nice:

Posted Image

If you sit it on the top it will peer over and look down on the others
Posted Image

#73 OFFLINE   Rideuz'

Rideuz'

• DX Community
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Moutain Bike, trail, rally, photography
  • Favorite Brands:HPI AUTOart Kyosho Otto Spark
  • Proud Citizen of:fr

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

I'm focused in rally models at 1/18 & 1/43 scale ; but sometimes buy some sportive cars. I need to think about focusing more on specific cars, "eras" like group B & A, or rounds like french "monte carlo" and "Corsica" rally.

Else I'm beginning to having so much models that I'm affraid I might be bored about some of them !

#74 OFFLINE   Diecast Fan

Diecast Fan

• DX Community
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Photography & LEGO
  • Number of Models:14
  • Favorite Brands:Hot Wheels Elite

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:54 PM

I only collect 1/18 cars (though I got one 1/24 as a gift a few years ago).  I try to only buy European sportscars, but I have two American cars: 1949 Mercury (gifted) and Dodge SRT Viper ($13 at Costco was too cheap to pass!).
My Collection

Recent Additions: Maisto Audi R8 V10 Plus, Maisto 2017 Ford GT

Wishlist: HWE Ferrari 458 Italia GT2, HWE Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider, Bburago LaFerrari

#75 OFFLINE   Chall

Chall

• DX Community
  • 42 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:09 AM

I started with an open collection focus. I just collected beautiful designs or cars that captured my imagination when I was young. When I began again over a year ago, I was hyper budget conscious. I refused to pay over 80 USD for anything. I got quite a few 1:43s because of this.

I relaxed that when I felt I was going to miss out forever on one of my holy grails, the AutoArt Zonda...

I stopped for a few months after that and started an extreme savings program. I bought two Exotos in the middle of the program, anyway (hey, you would have too at that level of discount :giggle:) . To keep my sanity, I've had limit my purchases to a list this year.

Looking at that list, and because of a short story I wrote, my focus is race cars; primarily Group C prototypes with a few GT machines thrown in (Exoto or Schuco 934).

I've been pushing hard with savings programs for half a decade now. Diecasts have become my financial blow-off valve, and have forced me to confront my toxic relationship with money--it's painful for me to spend on anything outside of necessities because I have no faith in my earning potential.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use