• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:BMW
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho & AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:se

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:19 AM

Hi Guys!
Here are pictures of the many paint-rash affected areas of this otherwise legendary machine. I feel frustrated seeing the car like this, as it is a holy grail. I always have bad luck on my side, Idk why. I know those aren't the best pictures, since they are not shot with my phone, as it is broken.. (yeah even there).
But these paint-rashes, or whatever they are called, are very visible as you can see on the black color. They are literally everywhere, covering almost every area of side-profiles (esp. the side with the petrol hatch, where there is a bubble!?), as well as the rear and front & even on the CF roof.

Is there any solution? I don't feel to return it all the way to where it came from (I'm tired of doing this). I've had to return a Minichamps Veyron as it had a lot of issues, as well as two Norev M1s (those three where from modelissimo though)

I just can't stand out. Is there any solution? :sad:

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Maranello97, 13 December 2014 - 07:09 AM.

Maranello97

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Photography
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart and CMC
  • Proud Citizen of:si

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:22 AM

Hey

sadly you cant do anything.. Well you can only repaint the model and it will do the job.. Otherwise this is it..
You bought it from Megamo this one?

#3 OFFLINE   Schumifan44

Schumifan44

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Supercars(Ferraris especially), Formula 1, Lego
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto/Bburago, Welly, Tamiya, Norev, The older Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:sg

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:25 AM

Heard of many other DX'ers using Tamiya polishing 'finish' compound to remove paint rash. Maybe you can try that. :occasion14:

#4 OFFLINE   Justinpkw

Justinpkw

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, GT Spirit, Ignition Model

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:00 AM

The CSL which I had has this issue as well, mine's in grey though so it isn't that obvious. As mentioned by Schumifan above, you could try using Tamiya polishing compound to remove the blemishes since it doesn't seem to be so severe yet. I've tried it on a few of my models with pretty good results, the CSL included. However, using it on a black car might leave behind some scratch marks from the compound. There are three types of compound (Coarse, Fine, Finish), and I would recommend using Coarse first to remove the majority of the blemishes then Fine to restore the shine to the paint. Finish is optional, but I use it anyway as a 'detailer' of sorts. Hope this helps!

Posted Image

Check out my collection here!

#5 OFFLINE   Maranello97

Maranello97

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:08 AM

View Postaudirs6, on 13 December 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

Hey

sadly you cant do anything.. Well you can only repaint the model and it will do the job.. Otherwise this is it..

Yes audirs6. I know they have stated that it may be affected in certain areas, but nut all the areas like with this one.. The worst part was the shipping costs, I could have bought it from Germany instead for the same price.

View PostSchumifan44, on 13 December 2014 - 06:25 AM, said:

Heard of many other DX'ers using Tamiya polishing 'finish' compound to remove paint rash. Maybe you can try that. :occasion14:

View PostJustinpkw, on 13 December 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

The CSL which I had has this issue as well, mine's in grey though so it isn't that obvious. As mentioned by Schumifan above, you could try using Tamiya polishing compound to remove the blemishes since it doesn't seem to be so severe yet. I've tried it on a few of my models with pretty good results, the CSL included. However, using it on a black car might leave behind some scratch marks from the compound. There are three types of compound (Coarse, Fine, Finish), and I would recommend using Coarse first to remove the majority of the blemishes then Fine to restore the shine to the paint. Finish is optional, but I use it anyway as a 'detailer' of sorts. Hope this helps!

guys, do you have to buy all three tamiya polishing products (coarse + fine + finish) or only the finish? Do you know how to use it? Only applying it over the affected areas, or do you have to do something other than that? I read somewhere here about a guy who cured his kyo Testarossa with a similar process, but he first used sandpaper to remove these rashes.

Thanks for the answers once again! :)
Maranello97

#6 OFFLINE   Justinpkw

Justinpkw

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:11 AM

View PostMaranello97, on 13 December 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

guys, do you have to buy all three tamiya polishing products (coarse + fine + finish) or only the finish? Do you know how to use it? Only applying it over the affected areas, or do you have to do something other than that? I read somewhere here about a guy who cured his kyo Testarossa with a similar process, but he first used sandpaper to remove these rashes.

I would recommend buying the Coarse and Fine, the Finish is optional (and about twice the price of the coarse/fine). I normally apply it on a cloth and rub it on the affected area in circles with light to moderate pressure. To my understanding, the Coarse compound is basically fine sandpaper in liquid-y form, and it does most of the work in removing the blemish. The other two simply restore the shine back to the paint, since the surface will be dull after the Coarse is applied.

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:39 AM

View Postaudirs6, on 13 December 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

Hey

Yes audirs6. I know they have stated that it may be affected in certain areas, but nut all the areas like with this one.. The worst part was the shipping costs, I could have bought it from Germany instead for the same price.

View PostSchumifan44, on 13 December 2014 - 06:25 AM, said:

View PostJustinpkw, on 13 December 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

There is a lot of talking on this forum about paint rash. And since Megamo posted that those models have Paint rash you should expect that some other models have also on some other points those critical spots.. Sadly it is not only there and there.. After a few years it could be on the whole body..

#8 OFFLINE   seppuku

seppuku

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,885 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Eidolon, BBR, Tecnomodel, MR,
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:00 AM

Do a reprint, bro...:)

"I have to admit I dont understand 1:43. 1:12 and larger I get, but most 1:43 I have seen (MOST) dont look like real cars. They are usually off in some way."

-lateapex

#9 OFFLINE   justBIMMER77

justBIMMER77

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Favorite Brands:kyosho, autoart, minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:30 AM

Buying the Tamiya polishing compound may be cheaper but the result is not guaranteed. Repainting it will bring u a like new model in the color that u want. That, after $100+ later, depending who is gonna do it for you! I would go for a repaint!

#10 OFFLINE   Maranello97

Maranello97

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostJustinpkw, on 13 December 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

I would recommend buying the Coarse and Fine, the Finish is optional (and about twice the price of the coarse/fine). I normally apply it on a cloth and rub it on the affected area in circles with light to moderate pressure. To my understanding, the Coarse compound is basically fine sandpaper in liquid-y form, and it does most of the work in removing the blemish. The other two simply restore the shine back to the paint, since the surface will be dull after the Coarse is applied.
So I don't have to wetsand the areas with fine sanding paper, or maybe that's good to do before applying the Coarse? So you only use coarse on a cloth and work it out in circular motions? Will paint come off when doing this? Cause I was thinking that then it maybe turns out bad in the end (as the paint isn't thick?) and then when you try to even things out with the Fine & Finish, it won't help, but only make it shiny. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
Maranello97

#11 OFFLINE   Maranello97

Maranello97

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostjustBIMMER77, on 13 December 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

Buying the Tamiya polishing compound may be cheaper but the result is not guaranteed. Repainting it will bring u a like new model in the color that u want. That, after $100+ later, depending who is gonna do it for you! I would go for a repaint!

Here in little Sweden, who's gonna do that? :/
Maranello97

#12 OFFLINE   Robert Romi

Robert Romi

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Mclaren And Ferrari
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:21 AM

Such a shame because that is one awesome looking car :/

#13 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:30 AM

:( Sorry to see this. I should go check mine but I'm afraid about what I may find!  :rolleyes: :bawling:
:adore:Posted Image Because fanboy.

#14 ONLINE   ocz4life

ocz4life

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 822 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:rs

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

Is this Kyosho? This model is known for paint rash and zinc pest. Tho I don't think you can fix this at all. It's not the paint itself, it's the metal, those bubbles are metal deformation even if you repaint the body it will happen again. Some models literally fall apart

If you just bought this model return it ASAP if you can because it will probably get worse.

#15 OFFLINE   Justinpkw

Justinpkw

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostMaranello97, on 13 December 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

So I don't have to wetsand the areas with fine sanding paper, or maybe that's good to do before applying the Coarse? So you only use coarse on a cloth and work it out in circular motions? Will paint come off when doing this? Cause I was thinking that then it maybe turns out bad in the end (as the paint isn't thick?) and then when you try to even things out with the Fine & Finish, it won't help, but only make it shiny. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
Yup, I understand what you're trying to say. :nice:
I don't think you will need to wetsand with sandpaper, since the Coarse compound is a little abrasive on its own. Circular motions should do, yup. Some paint might come off, so you'll have to do it with moderate strength. Kyosho's paint should be alright, all the opening bits (hood, doors, trunk) on my CSL were affected by the paint blemishes and the paint held up to the abuse of the compound rather well. The only risk of applying compound on a gloss black car would be very fine scratches left over if the job isn't done properly, but I guess that would be better than having blemishes on the paintwork.

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

You can sand that with paper grid 4000 - 12000 and polish that out..
But I'm not sure this model have clear coat ( Othervise you will make more mess )..
Also after few motns/ years you will get again paint rush all over the body..

#17 ONLINE   ocz4life

ocz4life

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

View Postaudirs6, on 13 December 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

This is what I said too. I can't find proper English words to explain this, but I've found out that the problem is metal itself and not the paint. It has to do with some metal reactions. So in the end you just cannot fix this. If possible return the model if not, I'm sorry :(

#18 OFFLINE   Maranello97

Maranello97

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

You can sand that with paper grid 4000 - 12000 and polish that out..
But I'm not sure this model have clear coat ( Othervise you will make more mess )..

View Postocz4life, on 13 December 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

This is what I said too. I can't find proper English words to explain this, but I've found out that the problem is metal itself and not the paint. It has to do with some metal reactions. So in the end you just cannot fix this. If possible return the model if not, I'm sorry :(

Damn.. this scares the shit out of me. What about the dots I got with my red X6M? It has paint rash as well, but not to the same extent as the CSL. Do you think that's because of the metal mixing as well? This makes me question buying any Kyosho models for real, cause why should I if they will deteriorate.

How do I know wether they're bubbles or not? Because if they aren't then this is the zinc pest right?
Maranello97

#19 ONLINE   ocz4life

ocz4life

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostMaranello97, on 13 December 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

How do I know wether they're bubbles or not? Because if they aren't then this is the zinc pest right?

Yes, kinda. You don't know till time passes. Paint rash will usually get to some point and then stop. So if your red X6M has some paint rash and it stays like that for a while (a year at least?) without progressing it probably won't go any further. Zinc pest is the worst because as time passes by model will pretty much fall apart on it's own. You can tell these two apart only after a while ..

#20 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:37 AM

I think this can be sorted with a repaint.. But you will have to sand whole model.. Really good sanding and then a few coats of primer.. That might help ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use