Jump to content


TERRIBLE Otto quality control, Mercedes E60 AMG


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ocz4life

ocz4life

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 804 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgrade, Serbia
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:05 AM

OK guys, I am quite sure writing this to Otto won't make a difference at all how they treat their customers and how bad their quality control is. I can't return this model, nor I think I would get a perfect one, it's just Otto's fault. I want to make you aware of this, this model looks good if I take pictures of the model itself without trying to show you all the imperfections. I'll let the pictures speak for them self. How could this pass quality control? Don't forget star on the hood also came detached ...I'm not going to buy Otto ever again, too bad because they have a lot of models I like ..

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

  • DieCastXChange.com



#2 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

    Bronze Member

  • DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,062 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:175
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

They just made it look like it has been driven for the past 20 years. I say it is very accurate.

Just kidding. That is a lot of small issues. One or two and it may not be an issue, but it seems like it is every corner. I have to be honest, some of those I just do not see. Might be the photos. The paint chips and missing wheel decal really suck.

#3 OFFLINE   ocz4life

ocz4life

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 804 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgrade, Serbia
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:06 AM

Unfortunately some are more pronounced in person, especially that thing on "chrome" above the rear licence plate, photo just don't show it and it's not clear what it is, but in person it just pops ..

Edited by ocz4life, 17 January 2015 - 05:06 AM.


#4 OFFLINE   AdriHoff

AdriHoff

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 180 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:BBR
  • Proud Citizen of: fr

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:16 AM

For me, it's not just Otto that's like that.
But almost all manufacturers! It's been a long time since I haven't received a diecast flawless!

#5 OFFLINE   seppuku

seppuku

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,884 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bay Area, California
  • Favorite Brands:Eidolon, BBR, Tecnomodel, MR,
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:37 AM

Practically all factory built models have flaws, big or small...

If I were to order a model today, and prior to its arrival, I guarantee i can make out minimum list of 100 flaws...:)

Yes, the obvious mistakes on yours like missing decal and paint chips are a bummer, as pointed out...

But scrutinizing every single square millimeter will surely yield eye sores....

Besides, I think it's, "weathered" look has a charm to it...:)

"I have to admit I dont understand 1:43. 1:12 and larger I get, but most 1:43 I have seen (MOST) dont look like real cars. They are usually off in some way."

-lateapex


#6 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

    Administrator

  • DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,813 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

Speak to them about it - if you got it from them, they will probably offer to replace it. I've dealt with them on several occasions & they have been great. if you didn't get it from them, speak to the seller & return it.

One thing to remember though, in general their QC is not the greatest, it is rare to find one their models without flaws, but then more you look at them, the more problems you will see. The star on my one is lose, but a dab of glue will fix it if I can be bothered)

Posted Image



Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE


#7 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

    Die-cast Happy Clappy!

  • DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,042 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Milford Haven
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

Not good enough... :agreed:   Like Craig said, speak to your supplier or OTTO directly....I'm sure you'll get a better replacement.. :twocents:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image


#8 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

View PostCraig, on 17 January 2015 - 06:02 AM, said:

Speak to them about it - if you got it from them, they will probably offer to replace it. I've dealt with them on several occasions & they have been great. if you didn't get it from them, speak to the seller & return it.

One thing to remember though, in general their QC is not the greatest, it is rare to find one their models without flaws, but then more you look at them, the more problems you will see. The star on my one is lose, but a dab of glue will fix it if I can be bothered)

Inclined to agree with Craig. :agreed:

I've had QC issues with Otto in the past with my BMW 750iL and BMW M3 LTW. In both occasions the situation was sorted, the former having a new rear screen sent out and in the latter a replacement model. Never had a problem with their customer service - always been good imo.

Almost all of my Otto models have a little bit of glue overrun here and there but I accept this as an issue associated with cheaper resin models. Look hard enough and almost every model will have its share of flaws.

The broken bonnet star, paint chips and lack of decal on the alloy however are not acceptable imo. I would contact Otto and I bet they'll exchange for a new one.

Best of luck and don't let it put you off Otto models in the future.
:adore:Posted Image Because fanboy.

#9 OFFLINE   E34AG

E34AG

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Cars, Super Cars, Alpine Skiing, Cycling, Gaming, 1/18 Models
  • Number of Models:Ummm.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Maisto & Welly
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

Wow, Ottos qc isn't great... I wanted their RS2 and S8 but the qc issues worry me
Wish List:
- 1/18 AUTOart Koenigsegg Agera - Red
- 1/18 AUTOart Nissan Skyline R34 Z-Tune - Silver/Blue
- 1/18 AUTOart Subaru 22b - Blue

Newest Additions:
- ???

#10 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

View Postseppuku, on 17 January 2015 - 05:37 AM, said:

Practically all factory built models have flaws, big or small...

If I were to order a model today, and prior to its arrival, I guarantee i can make out minimum list of 100 flaws...:)

Yes, the obvious mistakes on yours like missing decal and paint chips are a bummer, as pointed out...

But scrutinizing every single square millimeter will surely yield eye sores....

Besides, I think it's, "weathered" look has a charm to it...:)

:agreed:

Pretty much all the replica models that left the factory regardless of the price will have some kind of defects be a tiny glue run, paint chips, misaligned parts and so on.

However it appears that you have one too many flaws in a single model and if it isn't too difficult for you to get an exchange i'll say go for it. The detached 3 point star emblem is a major turn off I am always worried about buying a Merc model with broken hood ornament.

#11 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

    Senior Member

  • DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,905 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:00 AM

I probably would have only noticed the missing star. The rest, even if I noticed it, wouldn't bother me.
Wes

#12 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ljubljana
  • Interests:Photography
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart and CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: si

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

Huh, I'm glad someone else noticed those mistakes and I'm not the only one crazy hah..

Sad to see damage on the model. But this is the reason I stopped collecting OTTO models and also GT Spirit because is part of their brand..

#13 OFFLINE   MotoFanatic

MotoFanatic

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DC/VA/MD
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart/Minichamps/Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

I have yet to receive a model that was flawless whether it be from AutoArt or BBR and looking at the pics some of those flaws are just unacceptable.  I would definitely talk to whomever you got it from.

Good luck!
-Moto

#14 OFFLINE   ocz4life

ocz4life

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 804 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgrade, Serbia
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

View Postaudirs6, on 17 January 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

Huh, I'm glad someone else noticed those mistakes and I'm not the only one crazy hah..

Sad to see damage on the model. But this is the reason I stopped collecting OTTO models and also GT Spirit because is part of their brand..

Indeed Igor, I won't be buying Otto any more, it's a shame cause they have a lot models I really like. I wanted to grab E34 M5 too, but I don't anymore. Actually I doubt I'll be buying a resin model every again. It just isn't what this hobby is all about to me. Otto would be very good if they don't have soooo many quality control issues. Very good paint, good lines and very realistic headlights/tail lights/side indicators. But that's it. Bad quality, no refinement at all,  bad interior, I don't even think those foils are a better solution then plastic for windows. I'm afraid they might just tear off one day and I won't be able to fix it because when they do tear off they lose shape.

As I said, I can't return this model. I don't want to make a trouble to my friend. He got it new from his friend, it was a new model, it is not really their fault and it would be a real hassle to return it. I'll keep it or sell it if I can. Luckily I have paid 85 euros for it which isn't that much considering how greedy some shops and sellers are, but still expensive for what I got and what this model offers IMO. Also as I have said in my first post, this won't change a thing. People will still buy Otto, Otto will still have a terrible quality control. But at least they DO deserve some bad rep because they are NOT doing their job as they should and I know they are making a hassle to a lot of people with stuff like this.

Thank you all for your understanding and encouraging words, I appreciate it :smile: :occasion14:

#15 OFFLINE   kevinb120

kevinb120

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:47 PM

It always makes me nuts when new model manufacturers claim 'making die cast costs tens of thousands more because of tooling', then the resins come out for sale exponentially more expensive then equivalent detail full-opening diecast(an Otto would be full opening at $60/welly pricing and detail if die cast). I think it's because the attrition rate with vast numbers of defective models and those broken in shipping, so they just charge 4 times their worth to cover expected losses.  So we end up with $30 worth of model detail and quality control that they charge $140 for something that breaks if you look at it wrong.  They are so delicate that when building them windows get squeezed, paint gets chipped and scratched, cheap decals come off onto sticky fingers, and detail gets broken off before they even finish them.

Edited by kevinb120, 18 January 2015 - 03:52 PM.


#16 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

    Administrator

  • DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,813 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

View Postocz4life, on 17 January 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

View Postaudirs6, on 17 January 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

Huh, I'm glad someone else noticed those mistakes and I'm not the only one crazy hah..

Sad to see damage on the model. But this is the reason I stopped collecting OTTO models and also GT Spirit because is part of their brand..

Indeed Igor, I won't be buying Otto any more, it's a shame cause they have a lot models I really like. I wanted to grab E34 M5 too, but I don't anymore. Actually I doubt I'll be buying a resin model every again. It just isn't what this hobby is all about to me. Otto would be very good if they don't have soooo many quality control issues. Very good paint, good lines and very realistic headlights/tail lights/side indicators. But that's it. Bad quality, no refinement at all,  bad interior, I don't even think those foils are a better solution then plastic for windows. I'm afraid they might just tear off one day and I won't be able to fix it because when they do tear off they lose shape.

As I said, I can't return this model. I don't want to make a trouble to my friend. He got it new from his friend, it was a new model, it is not really their fault and it would be a real hassle to return it. I'll keep it or sell it if I can. Luckily I have paid 85 euros for it which isn't that much considering how greedy some shops and sellers are, but still expensive for what I got and what this model offers IMO. Also as I have said in my first post, this won't change a thing. People will still buy Otto, Otto will still have a terrible quality control. But at least they DO deserve some bad rep because they are NOT doing their job as they should and I know they are making a hassle to a lot of people with stuff like this.

Thank you all for your understanding and encouraging words, I appreciate it :smile: :occasion14:

Your mate should take it back & he should take it up with OTTO etc, if I had sold that I'd feel guilty about it - by the way I check ALL of my models over when I get them, even these.
Price wise, wow man!! You paid a lot for it. If you had got it direct on pre order it would have been 46 eur, but we live & learn :twocents:

Posted Image



Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE


#17 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

View Postocz4life, on 17 January 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

View Postaudirs6, on 17 January 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

Huh, I'm glad someone else noticed those mistakes and I'm not the only one crazy hah..

Sad to see damage on the model. But this is the reason I stopped collecting OTTO models and also GT Spirit because is part of their brand..

Indeed Igor, I won't be buying Otto any more, it's a shame cause they have a lot models I really like. I wanted to grab E34 M5 too, but I don't anymore. Actually I doubt I'll be buying a resin model every again. It just isn't what this hobby is all about to me. Otto would be very good if they don't have soooo many quality control issues. Very good paint, good lines and very realistic headlights/tail lights/side indicators. But that's it. Bad quality, no refinement at all,  bad interior, I don't even think those foils are a better solution then plastic for windows. I'm afraid they might just tear off one day and I won't be able to fix it because when they do tear off they lose shape.


As an Otto collector (and one that has experienced QC issues as above) I'd say don't let this experience put you off considering other Otto models. I'm very happy with mine - the M5s (E34 and E39), the various M3s and the most recent Alpina among others. For the most past they are really really good- the paint quality is great (the sparkle in the E34 M5's purple pops) and they seem to get the 'stance' right in most cases. I also think the interiors look good (shame they are sealed) When bought direct they are also good value.

My :twocents: of course.
:adore:Posted Image Because fanboy.

#18 OFFLINE   Floper54

Floper54

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Number of Models:400+
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Autoart, GMP, Minichamps,.....
  • Proud Citizen of: fr

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

Otto strikes again !  sorry for you

With Otto it's very simple, you can be sure to have defects in each of their models, none is perfect,

I bought 2 of these E60 AMG, and they have many issues,

I spent 4h for remove all the glue, polish the paint, to have a correct result....

So i stopped collecting Otto but these crap are difficult to sell,
My 1/18 collection : 400+ models http://www.diecastxc...118-collection/

#19 OFFLINE   ocz4life

ocz4life

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 804 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgrade, Serbia
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

Well guys, just to let you know I have sold my model to the guy who drives E500 in 1:1. He is definitely far more happier with the model then I was so now I am happy too :) QC mess ups were just too much for me. One way I'm a little sad because I just love that car but on the other hand QC really bothered me ..

#20 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

View Postg3org3y, on 20 January 2015 - 06:36 PM, said:


As an Otto collector (and one that has experienced QC issues as above) I'd say don't let this experience put you off considering other Otto models. I'm very happy with mine - the M5s (E34 and E39), the various M3s and the most recent Alpina among others. For the most past they are really really good- the paint quality is great (the sparkle in the E34 M5's purple pops) and they seem to get the 'stance' right in most cases. I also think the interiors look good (shame they are sealed) When bought direct they are also good value.

My :twocents: of course.

It would appears that some batches are very well done and inspected with minimal QC issues but where as some have tonnes of complaint. I am quite lucky with my E34 blue, E30, E12 and the E38 no noticable issues as far as i can tell. Unfortunately for me i have to pay slightly inflated price at other online outlets because the postage cost direct from Otto is bit too much for where I am.

I would definitely like a E39 but it has long gone from most sites... hopefully Otto might consider another run in a different colour scheme?

This E60 looks like a complete soldout even the only NZ dealer i could find that is importing some Otto and GT spirit models have sold out the model.

#21 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:09 AM

View Postjazzy426, on 21 January 2015 - 08:22 PM, said:

View Postg3org3y, on 20 January 2015 - 06:36 PM, said:

As an Otto collector (and one that has experienced QC issues as above) I'd say don't let this experience put you off considering other Otto models. I'm very happy with mine - the M5s (E34 and E39), the various M3s and the most recent Alpina among others. For the most past they are really really good- the paint quality is great (the sparkle in the E34 M5's purple pops) and they seem to get the 'stance' right in most cases. I also think the interiors look good (shame they are sealed) When bought direct they are also good value.

My :twocents: of course.

It would appears that some batches are very well done and inspected with minimal QC issues but where as some have tonnes of complaint. I am quite lucky with my E34 blue, E30, E12 and the E38 no noticable issues as far as i can tell. Unfortunately for me i have to pay slightly inflated price at other online outlets because the postage cost direct from Otto is bit too much for where I am.

I would definitely like a E39 but it has long gone from most sites... hopefully Otto might consider another run in a different colour scheme?




Yes, I think being in the US or Australia/NZ etc the postage costs are a lot. As such, what is otherwise a good value model (for those of us in UK/Europe) where you can forgive some minor QC issues actually ends up being rather expensive. Moreover, when you have issues - sending them back for exchanges can be problematic and potentially expensive.

I agree that some batches appear to be better than others. My issues have been documented above. it's a shame that the QC lacks consistency for all.

I've got a lot of Otto models. On the balance of things, I think they are very good. They make certain models that no-one else does and I have no hesitation in putting in pre-orders as soon as news of a new BMW that I'm fond of is released - eg the 1/12 E36 M3.
:adore:Posted Image Because fanboy.

#22 OFFLINE   lakas

lakas

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Number of Models:150+
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Auto Art, GMP, Minichamps, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

Every time I read a post like this, it makes me question if resin models are worth the price and risk.

#23 OFFLINE   ocz4life

ocz4life

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 804 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgrade, Serbia
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:25 AM

View Postlakas, on 14 August 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

Every time I read a post like this, it makes me question if resin models are worth the price and risk.

In short - some are. I've seen by now a dozen 1:18 Otto's in person and they were all messy. Glue residue around foils or less often headlights/tail lights/side indicators ect, poorly cut foils, imprecisely free hand painted parts and similar stuff. GT Spirit is owned by the same owner, but their models are a lot neater. You can still get a sample with some glue residue here and there around tail lights or side indicators but that can easily be removed. Free hand painted parts are done somewhat better then Otto's work. I would recommend GT Spirit models but I can't recommend Otto if you're a perfectionist or just care about those little things.

As far as much more expensive models priced 200+ or 300+ euros I don't think they're worth the money. They could all have little imperfections that aren't justified if you pay that much money. And I don't see those kind of imperfections on a highly priced diecast models such as Autoart.

#24 OFFLINE   mazspd3jase

mazspd3jase

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 738 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston Tx
  • Interests:Cars, billiards, bowling, the outdoors
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit/Otto, Norev, Welly/Welly FX, Minichamps, & yes even Bburago/Maisto
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:27 AM

I have continually heard that Otto quality is much lower than GT Spirit....hence my reason for avoiding their models.  I find it funny that since they are owned by the same company that management isnt more on top of the qc problems.  Granted I know the models are slightly cheaper when purchased from a dealer (but not by much when compared to GT Spirit).  I started to preorder a couple of otto models recently, but when I found out that with shipping, they'd cost me 99 euro, i cancelled.  I'm better off waiting until they show up at Modellisimo and ordering 3 or 4 models at once.  that way I pay one shipping cost for all the models, get a discount for VAT elimination and another 10% off for being diecast society member.  Price ends up being nearly about 40% less than a direct order.  Either way though, I am still leery about Otto.  As for GT Spirit, their models are phenominal...I am now up to 7 or 8 and not a single one has disappointed.  Paint is flawless, no glue errors, and no missing parts.  My only complaint is and will continue to be the side window situation on many of the models...the flimsy 1 piece plastic bugs the crap out of me!  I think it ends up completely detracting from an otherwise perfect model.  I have personally taken to removing the windows and cutting them where real joint lines should be.  On the last one I got, the 997 sport classic, after I cut the windows, I ended up leaving the driver and passenger side portions off.  That alone has improved the appearance in my opinion.

#25 ONLINE   MSZ

MSZ

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart/OttOmobile/GT Spirit/Spark
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:00 AM

I only have one Otto, the 850CSi. Lucky enough I haven't found any issues with it.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users





©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use