DiecastXchange Forum banner

TERRIBLE Otto quality control, Mercedes E60 AMG

15K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  forza! 
#1 ·
OK guys, I am quite sure writing this to Otto won't make a difference at all how they treat their customers and how bad their quality control is. I can't return this model, nor I think I would get a perfect one, it's just Otto's fault. I want to make you aware of this, this model looks good if I take pictures of the model itself without trying to show you all the imperfections. I'll let the pictures speak for them self. How could this pass quality control? Don't forget star on the hood also came detached ...I'm not going to buy Otto ever again, too bad because they have a lot of models I like ..

See less See more
#2 ·
They just made it look like it has been driven for the past 20 years. I say it is very accurate.

Just kidding. That is a lot of small issues. One or two and it may not be an issue, but it seems like it is every corner. I have to be honest, some of those I just do not see. Might be the photos. The paint chips and missing wheel decal really suck.

#5 ·
Practically all factory built models have flaws, big or small...

If I were to order a model today, and prior to its arrival, I guarantee i can make out minimum list of 100 flaws...:)

Yes, the obvious mistakes on yours like missing decal and paint chips are a bummer, as pointed out...

But scrutinizing every single square millimeter will surely yield eye sores....

Besides, I think it's, "weathered" look has a charm to it...:)

#10 ·

Pretty much all the replica models that left the factory regardless of the price will have some kind of defects be a tiny glue run, paint chips, misaligned parts and so on.

However it appears that you have one too many flaws in a single model and if it isn't too difficult for you to get an exchange i'll say go for it. The detached 3 point star emblem is a major turn off I am always worried about buying a Merc model with broken hood ornament.

#6 ·
Speak to them about it - if you got it from them, they will probably offer to replace it. I've dealt with them on several occasions & they have been great. if you didn't get it from them, speak to the seller & return it.

One thing to remember though, in general their QC is not the greatest, it is rare to find one their models without flaws, but then more you look at them, the more problems you will see. The star on my one is lose, but a dab of glue will fix it if I can be bothered)

#8 ·
Inclined to agree with Craig.

I've had QC issues with Otto in the past with my BMW 750iL and BMW M3 LTW. In both occasions the situation was sorted, the former having a new rear screen sent out and in the latter a replacement model. Never had a problem with their customer service - always been good imo.

Almost all of my Otto models have a little bit of glue overrun here and there but I accept this as an issue associated with cheaper resin models. Look hard enough and almost every model will have its share of flaws.

The broken bonnet star, paint chips and lack of decal on the alloy however are not acceptable imo. I would contact Otto and I bet they'll exchange for a new one.

Best of luck and don't let it put you off Otto models in the future.

#7 ·
Not good enough...
Like Craig said, speak to your supplier or OTTO directly....I'm sure you'll get a better replacement..

#14 ·
Indeed Igor, I won't be buying Otto any more, it's a shame cause they have a lot models I really like. I wanted to grab E34 M5 too, but I don't anymore. Actually I doubt I'll be buying a resin model every again. It just isn't what this hobby is all about to me. Otto would be very good if they don't have soooo many quality control issues. Very good paint, good lines and very realistic headlights/tail lights/side indicators. But that's it. Bad quality, no refinement at all, bad interior, I don't even think those foils are a better solution then plastic for windows. I'm afraid they might just tear off one day and I won't be able to fix it because when they do tear off they lose shape.

As I said, I can't return this model. I don't want to make a trouble to my friend. He got it new from his friend, it was a new model, it is not really their fault and it would be a real hassle to return it. I'll keep it or sell it if I can. Luckily I have paid 85 euros for it which isn't that much considering how greedy some shops and sellers are, but still expensive for what I got and what this model offers IMO. Also as I have said in my first post, this won't change a thing. People will still buy Otto, Otto will still have a terrible quality control. But at least they DO deserve some bad rep because they are NOT doing their job as they should and I know they are making a hassle to a lot of people with stuff like this.

Thank you all for your understanding and encouraging words, I appreciate it

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
It always makes me nuts when new model manufacturers claim 'making die cast costs tens of thousands more because of tooling', then the resins come out for sale exponentially more expensive then equivalent detail full-opening diecast(an Otto would be full opening at $60/welly pricing and detail if die cast). I think it's because the attrition rate with vast numbers of defective models and those broken in shipping, so they just charge 4 times their worth to cover expected losses. So we end up with $30 worth of model detail and quality control that they charge $140 for something that breaks if you look at it wrong. They are so delicate that when building them windows get squeezed, paint gets chipped and scratched, cheap decals come off onto sticky fingers, and detail gets broken off before they even finish them.

#18 ·
Otto strikes again ! sorry for you

With Otto it's very simple, you can be sure to have defects in each of their models, none is perfect,

I bought 2 of these E60 AMG, and they have many issues,

I spent 4h for remove all the glue, polish the paint, to have a correct result....

So i stopped collecting Otto but these crap are difficult to sell,

#19 ·
Well guys, just to let you know I have sold my model to the guy who drives E500 in 1:1. He is definitely far more happier with the model then I was so now I am happy too :) QC mess ups were just too much for me. One way I'm a little sad because I just love that car but on the other hand QC really bothered me ..

#23 ·
In short - some are. I've seen by now a dozen 1:18 Otto's in person and they were all messy. Glue residue around foils or less often headlights/tail lights/side indicators ect, poorly cut foils, imprecisely free hand painted parts and similar stuff. GT Spirit is owned by the same owner, but their models are a lot neater. You can still get a sample with some glue residue here and there around tail lights or side indicators but that can easily be removed. Free hand painted parts are done somewhat better then Otto's work. I would recommend GT Spirit models but I can't recommend Otto if you're a perfectionist or just care about those little things.

As far as much more expensive models priced 200+ or 300+ euros I don't think they're worth the money. They could all have little imperfections that aren't justified if you pay that much money. And I don't see those kind of imperfections on a highly priced diecast models such as Autoart.

#24 ·
I have continually heard that Otto quality is much lower than GT Spirit....hence my reason for avoiding their models. I find it funny that since they are owned by the same company that management isnt more on top of the qc problems. Granted I know the models are slightly cheaper when purchased from a dealer (but not by much when compared to GT Spirit). I started to preorder a couple of otto models recently, but when I found out that with shipping, they'd cost me 99 euro, i cancelled. I'm better off waiting until they show up at Modellisimo and ordering 3 or 4 models at once. that way I pay one shipping cost for all the models, get a discount for VAT elimination and another 10% off for being diecast society member. Price ends up being nearly about 40% less than a direct order. Either way though, I am still leery about Otto. As for GT Spirit, their models are phenominal...I am now up to 7 or 8 and not a single one has disappointed. Paint is flawless, no glue errors, and no missing parts. My only complaint is and will continue to be the side window situation on many of the models...the flimsy 1 piece plastic bugs the crap out of me! I think it ends up completely detracting from an otherwise perfect model. I have personally taken to removing the windows and cutting them where real joint lines should be. On the last one I got, the 997 sport classic, after I cut the windows, I ended up leaving the driver and passenger side portions off. That alone has improved the appearance in my opinion.

#27 ·
There are definitely some QC issues on this model, but wouldn't say terrible. I have a little over 10 Otto models, all of them have some sort of QC issues similar to this aside from the damaged badge.

#29 ·
I must admit I have had very little problems with Otto stuff. My 1/12th scale Golf G60 had a warped side moulding under the passenger side door, so I arranged to have them replace the model, which they did. I also bought an Alpine A310 1977 LeMans model which was missing the seat belts on the drivers side, but they sent me a replacement seat(!) which solved the problem. I also wonder if there are some small language issues when dealing with them from time to time! One thing I haven't been able to correct is the address they put on my lables. It's all there, but not in any way close to how I eneterd it when joining them.

#31 ·
I don't recognize the QC issues. I have the E39 M5, RS2, Sport Spider, Corrado VR6 and 156 GTA and they're all 100%.
Then again I do have another 6 cars on pre-order so let's hope for the best :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.