#1 OFFLINE   gto70

gto70

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 957 posts
  • Favorite Brands:1/18
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

I recently purchased two models from a seller on a different forum, paid via money order and got a tracking number once the money order was received by the seller. I immediately plugged the tracking number into the shippers website and got a "NOT FOUND" error. I waited a day and tried the tracking number again and received the same "NOT FOUND" error. Contacted seller and asked for a verification of the tracking number. Didn't receive any response for 12 days, at this point I was thinking that I was out some money and the models. The next day the seller responded and said that the tracking number was good and that it showed the package was to be delivered the next day, seller provided the tracking number again. The new tracking number had one digit different than the original provided number - just a typo!  I punched the new number into the website and sure enough it showed that the package would be delivered the next day! WHEW was I relieved. Got the package the next day, got home and opened it up. The box was set up with one model stacked on top of the other. The top model in the box was a Yat Ming 70 Coronet that was in great condition with no damage. The bottom model was a Rallye Red 383 Cuda by Hwy61 and I immediately knew there were issues because the model was loose in its box. For the record the seller had good packaging around and between both models in the box. The problem I believe was the plastic clam shell that Highway 61 liked to use. If I had to guess, it got cold/brittle during shipping and broke apart causing the model to come loose in the box. In 12 years of having Highway 61 models shipped here to Alaska, and many during the winter months this is the first time I've had the plastic clam shell break and cause model damage.

Here are the pictures.

Broken plastic clam shell:

Posted Image

Broken off rear bumper and wing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both shocks and rear springs also busted off:

Posted Image

There obviously was previous damage to this model because the rear wing had been repaired and you can see the extra glue on the trunk in the above pictures:

Posted Image

More evidence of previous damage is the black sharpie used to cover the chips in the black billboard on the passenger side and also evidence of glue where the bumper attaches that might suggest the bumper had been previously damaged as well:

Posted Image

And the car as it sits right now:

Posted Image

An observation about the engine - did Plymouth paint the intakes on the 1:1 cars the same color as the engine block? To me the engine looks weird all orange so I may take it apart and paint the intake and water pump silver/aluminum color:

Posted Image

The previous damage (wing, bumper & billboard chips) wasn't disclosed before I purchased the model but I did get a fair price on the car so I didn't ask for any refund, maybe I should of but I think it would of just been a hassle. I think once I make the repairs it will still display well from a few feet away. Get up close and the wing and the chips in the billboard will be noticeable but I think I can live with it.
Click HERE to view my collection.
:occasion14: Thanks to everyone for the 64,000 + views of my collection. :occasion14:

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   E34AG

E34AG

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Super Cars, Alpine Skiing, Cycling, Gaming, 1/18 Models
  • Number of Models:Ummm.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Maisto & Welly
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

Im sorry to hear that... The past few days have been REALLY cold here
Wish List:
- 1/18 AUTOart Koenigsegg Agera - Red
- 1/18 AUTOart Nissan Skyline R34 Z-Tune - Silver/Blue
- 1/18 AUTOart Subaru 22b - Blue

Newest Additions:
- ???

#3 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

Sorry to hear that. I have the Hemi version of this model commissioned by SC and the whole run of them was flawed. They sent me 4 of them until I got one that was passable and Jim himself called me to tell me that he hand picked it or that they would refund my money. All the billboards were scratched and all came with loose parts rattling around in the box. The one I kept just had the exhaust loose.

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#4 OFFLINE   gto70

gto70

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 957 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:12 PM

View PostE34AG, on 16 February 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

Im sorry to hear that... The past few days have been REALLY cold here

Thanks for the comments, it's actually been pretty nice up here for winter. In the 30's and 40's but this car did travel from NY so who knows.

View Postacisne, on 17 February 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Sorry to hear that. I have the Hemi version of this model commissioned by SC and the whole run of them was flawed. They sent me 4 of them until I got one that was passable and Jim himself called me to tell me that he hand picked it or that they would refund my money. All the billboards were scratched and all came with loose parts rattling around in the box. The one I kept just had the exhaust loose.

Thanks for the comments Al, maybe this car was flawed when he originally received it and just sold it to me like he got it. Totally my fault as I purchased this with out seeing a picture of it. Lesson learned, I won't be doing that again. Ray
:occasion14: Thanks to everyone for the 64,000 + views of my collection. :occasion14:

#5 OFFLINE   gto70

gto70

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 957 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

So I've got a little progress done on the Cuda so far.

Here's the under carriage with the missing shocks & springs:
Posted Image

Glued the springs and shocks back in:
Posted Image

Like I said..........a little progress done! :giggle:

Next will be fixing the rear wing and re-installing the bumper.

#6 OFFLINE   Jamie0899

Jamie0899

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Hot rods, muscle cars, drag racing, gaming
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Acme, Ertl, Highway 61
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

glad to see it on the road to recovery
Latest adds
:yahoo: - ACME GNDS #3 3window coupe #678/1008

Check out my collection here \ /
\/

http://www.diecastxc...ollection-3115/

#7 OFFLINE   gto70

gto70

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 957 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:55 PM

Been awhile since I posted any updates on the Cuda........it's been buried on the work bench for a bit. I had some issues with the glue (Testors Model Glue) I was using for the suspension parts, it just wasn't holding the parts together at all, over time they would separate even thou I scuffed the plastic were I glued. So I purchased some Gorilla Gel Super Glue and so far that's been doing the trick.........so the suspension is once again back together like the pictures above. And I've also finished a bit more on the model as well:

Found a piece of side trim that was broken:

Posted Image

Glued it back to the car and I might hit the broken area with a dab of silver/chrome paint to see if I can hide the crack:
Posted Image

Also got the back bumper glued back on:
Before
Posted Image
After
Posted Image

I've still got to reattach the rear wing but before I do I need to give it a spray of paint because I sanded it where it was glued back together. Hopefully I'll have that done this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use