DiecastXchange Forum banner

R.I.P. Bugatti Atlantic

18K views 52 replies 36 participants last post by  will1066 
#1 ·
The model has always been kept in a locked cabinet, along with all my other miniatures, with controlled light, humidity and temperature.

Four years later, the painting of this CMC is as follows:

Answer from cmc:
Dear Mr. Araujo de Almeida,

thank you for your request. I'm sorry to have to say that, but unfortunately this
model is totally sold out, so we don't have any model that we could offer you
as a replacement. Furthermore for us to be able to help you with your complaint,
determined by the system the model have to be bought directly from us.
If this is not the case we recommend to contact the dealer you bought this model from.
We ask for your understanding.

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüssen
CMC GmbH & Co. KG
Classic Model Cars
Peter Diller
Export Manager CMC Germany

See less See more
#3 ·
You gotta be kidding Márcio.....that is truly disgraceful - I wouldn't let it go with CMC...

#5 ·
WhaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaat!!!!??????

That is crazy! I mean, I can't see a CMC colector not being careful enough with the lighting, this is just bad production...I'm going to check mine right away...

#8 ·
Sorry to hear about the paint issue on such a beautiful car. Hope you are able to to find a resolution to this

#9 ·
I am sorry. I felt the same thing as I saw it on my BBR 430 months ago. But this Bugatti is really amazing. Don' t get me wrong but even with this level of pest, it will still shine next to my AUTOart or resin stuff. Hopefully you will find a way to resolve this.

#17 ·
This sucks! CMC should stand behind their products like any reputable company does! This is a not a $5 use and throw appliance, its a collectible that should have been made to pre-decided standards. I was considering buying a few of their models from my dealer, but reading this, I would rather spend my money somewhere else.

I wish they read this thread and see the effect their stance is having. Ridiculous!

#19 ·
That looks pretty awful. Sorry to see this happen to an otherwise fantastic model. I'd better go and check mine! If you don't have any luck with the dealer you purchased from, I would suggest contacting CMC again. Their customer service is generally pretty well regarded so hopefully they can offer some assistance once you've tried the dealer like they suggested. Computers/TV's etc that cost $'000's generally only come with a 1 year warranty which is pretty woeful. But I wonder how long a manufacturer should stand behind a collectible like this? Obviously we would like them to last forever and certainly more than 4 years. But how long is reasonable to expect?

#20 ·
Gah that's a nightmare! Sorry that it happened to your model Marcio. CMC make good models but I've heard of their paint rash issues. They should definitely help you out, even if you bought it from a dealer in my personal opinion they need to stand behind their product.

Since electronics have been mentioned, at least there we get a warranty in the purchase contract. There is no such thing with diecast and as such this hobby is totally skewed towards the manufacturers. It is somewhat understandable that they themselves are not sure how the models would behave after 5 or 10 years, but then again these are very VERY expensive items and it is HIGH TIME that the big names such as CMC, Exoto, and AUTOart do the proper research in metals and paint to ensure that the finished product basically lasts forever.

When I am buying my models, especially the "high-end" diecast such as CMC, I am damn sure I want to keep it forever, pass it on to my next generation as heirlooms when the time comes. If however I start seeing paint rash or hearing more stories like this I will get out of this hobby. Therefore to keep collectors like me and I assume most of us here the manufacturers should come up with better paints and techniques. And plastic (ABS, resin, whatever) is not the answer if the model is to be called "diecast" :)

#53 · (Edited by Moderator)
Paint rash doesn't discriminate. I would bet my bottom dollar that the manufacturers from the cheapest to the highest ends don't have strict controls over their factories half a world away on where and from whom they source their casting material. Chances are, they source from the same number of Zamac suppliers. And if their metal alloying processes are still less than pure, then that is likely causing the problems.

Sad to see the Bugatti destroyed. A number of my Autoarts are showing very early signs of paint rash.

#21 ·
Oh man, that's some of the worst I've ever seen!!
I'll have to go check mine.

I would press on with CMC, they made it after all. They can't really expect the reseller to take responsibility for its deterioration

#26 ·
Nope. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to do that since I once tried to dissemble CMC 250GT SWB and when I unscrew 16 screws nothing fell apart..

But if you take 4000grid sand paper and you sand it under the water and then you apply 2k clear coat ( Which I did on one of my models and it did a great job ) the model should be much better.. Better than new one ;)

#32 ·
I would try CMC again & go from there. I know a way of helping to cure it (and Igor has said the same) but it's not ideal. And if you have never done it before you risk making it worse. To be honest though, I think it might be too far gone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.