DiecastXchange Forum banner

Unbelievable paint damage on 1:18 CMC SLR

8K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  . . . 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I was cruising ebay this morning and came across this auction (351430680877). It is a real shame that a manufacturer like CMC has this happening to their models. I own many CMC and i will put the brakes on purchasing anymore. I saw a members previous post on a Bugatti that had this same problem and sure feel sorry for anyone that this occurs to.

I think CMC has a HUGE problem on their hands.

#2 ·
That is exactly what has happened to the roof of my AUTOart MB S63 AMG. Such a shame to see such desirable models bite the dust.
My Maisto from the same era as that CMC is as fresh as it let the factory gates. Sometimes I am glad I just have Maisto and UT models of some of my most desired cars.

#3 ·
Isn't the one on the link the one that someone on here bought the other day & then asked if the price they paid was worth it ?

They said they'd sell it on once they got it, so I think they're the seller.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Turns out, the seller who has it on now is the one had it on last time - so I guess the deal with the member on here fell through ?

Last time,

#7 ·
I have had paint rash on a number of Exotos, not as bad as the CMC Merc, but enough to put me off from buying any more Exotos.

#8 ·
I can't understand people believe this car was stored in its packaging all the time, meaning CMC would have packed it this way after quality control with almost no paint on the model.
Come on guys, this thing is been polished till they rubbed thru the paint layer and for sure not by CMC.
By the way, where is the wrap new models are in? It isn't shown on the pictures in the auction. It would be shown to prove it's new though if it really would've been stored and never been unpacked.
I have some CMC, as a few here will know, and I ONLY had issues with the M-042 MB W196 Silver Arrow #12. (zinc pest)
I even don't have problems with 2 out of the 3 "Le Mans" I have and the one that has issues I bought it knowing of them but I purchased it anyway because of the rarity of the exhaust that goes thru the bodywork instead of underneath it
I have some doubts about the statements that are made by the seller
It is more important to understand what could be hidden by details that are left out on purpose
Only my 2 cent, guys

#9 ·
It may have been out of the packaging and displayed but that is no reason for the paint doing what it is. One interesting note on this model is the hood. It appears to be fine and it is made of copper. not diecast. I purchased a CMC Ferrari 250 (1 of 200) signed by the company president about a month ago. I had to return due to this effect happening on the hood and trunk and rear quarter panels. Thank goodness the seller agreed with my pictures and are doing the right thing.

I have no idea what environmental conditions could cause this to occur on a model?

#10 ·
This could happen if the car was wrapped in tissue paper other than that supplied by the factory. Some papers have acids that could leach out because of humidity in the atmosphere and damage the paint. Even though the model is tightly shut in a styrofoam box, there could be some trapped humiditiy in the box when it was opened by the owner.
I learnt this the hard way. My black Kyosho Rolls Royce Phantom, one of five in group buy was opened by the buyer and he took a few pics of it along with the 4 other examples. He probably damaged the original wrapping paper and put in a thick kitchen tissue on the car. My Phantom was in storage in my wardrobe for a few months and one fine day I decided to display it. Imagine my headache when I noticed the paint rash on the roof. I noticed that the tissue paper had also yellowed. Putting two and two together, I realised that this could have been the cause.

#16 ·
Very useful post Winston
- but sorry you had to find out the hard way...
If you lose your original tissue paper, the 'acid free' tissue paper that you might use for packing clothes in suitcases is probably the best 'cheap' option.....

#12 ·
Having left most of my models in their boxes I am yet to see any of them with problems, and I'm talking a lot of models. If I have any with it, I have bought them like it (some may have the odd one or two spots, nothing like this Mercedes at all) None of the models I have purchased new have any problems.

#13 ·
Is it hot in Singapore? That's where the model is located. I wonder if this has anything to do with climate. I live in Canada and it just doesn't happen with me. Craig in the post above is also relatively in the northern hemisphere. Hmm

#20 ·
I personally had bought models from this seller's shop in Singapore, so my 'guesstimate' will be someone had bought this CMC Merc from his store and then returned finding the SLR turn into this. The seller is one of the very first few that started selling die cast model cars in Singapore, and still survives while most other car stores had to leave business succumbing to e-commerce. But then again, the truth is out there, somewhere :p

How Lateapex mentioned, i also thought someone with good skills in repainting the shell may find the deal interesting, particularly since the CMC SLRs these days are appearing with crazy price. However the way the price is going up on this one, doub it will be interesting at all at the end of the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.