DiecastXchange Forum banner

Honda Mugen S2000 AP1 1/18 Build

28K views 86 replies 31 participants last post by  the z man 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So this is my second build here. I have always had the idea to convert an Autoart Honda s2000, into a Mugen S2000.
I recently bought a second Mugen DC5 for a "reasonable" price, because I really needed a K20 engine for my FD2 project.
With the other parts I could build a Mugen S2000 or a Mugen NSX. I chose the S2000 because I own one myself and I love how the Mugen S2000 looks.

Here are some pics of the first 1/1 Mugen S2000 in existence, so you get an idea what I'm building.

Mugen S2000 Catalogue

I have already started taking the S2000 and the Mugen Integra apart.

See less See more
#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yesterday I testfitted the front wheels. It looks pretty good so far.
I didn't remove the DC5 brakes or anything, because it is virtually impossible without damaging the wheels.
Now it's basically a direct bolt on part like this. I just need to remove a little plastic so it sits a little better. I may lower it a tiny bit.
The rear wheels will be much more difficult to mount.
The brakes calipers will be painted gold/bronze, because that would be the correct color.
The whole car will be painted Silverstone Silver.

Here are some of the Mugen parts I will be using. I already trimmed the sides of wing a bit.
The wing stands where too close apart and different in shape, so I took those off. I Need to make some new ones from Styrene.
Not sure if I will use the Takata's because I didn't see them in the catalogue car or first production car.
They did however sell them in their catalogue.

Ready to strip the paint off! I also shaped the bumpers a bit.
Still looks a bit rough around the edges, but it will be nice and smooth once I sand it down a bit.
Next step will be to put some Milliput on there and mold it into the desired shape.
The hood needs some cutting for the vents, but I will do that once it's stripped of its paint.

I bought another 1/18 model for this project. It's a Johnnny Tran S2000 made by Joyride.
It's the only 1/18 S2000 with a top I think, so this is perfect to use as a base for the Mugen hardtop.
This S2000 got me into S2000's haahaha. Looks pretty riced out now, but back then I was in love with this car!

And I bought this little Ebbro 1/43 model for cheap. Your big brother is coming soon hopefully.

#21 ·
It definetly is, but I am confident it will turn out well in the end. The FD2 was just like this and that already looks better than any other resin 1/18 FD2 in my opinion. I am a realistic draw and paintartist by trade, so the eyeballing method is nothing new to me haha. I know this model will never be perfectly symmetrical, but that will be hardly noticable I think.

#31 ·
I agree that the top looks nice, a Mugen hard top though, damn, that would be hot!

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
I need a Mugen hard top! I will do whatever it takes to create one haha.

A little update:

This week I stripped the paint of the hood and cut long pieces out of it. It was really tough to get through that thick metal hood with my little Dremel. I burned my fingers multiple times because the hood was getting so freaking hot!
The metal was even slightly bend when I was finished. Nothing a hammer can fix lol. Later on I added some Milliput on the hood. I haven't really sanded it down yet, so on the photos it still looks rough. This week I will work on it little by little. The plan is to first get it into shape and superglue pieces of metal or styrene in there, so it will look like a Mugen hood.

Today I did some more work on the bumpers. I cut the intake hole in the frontbumper which will need more work and I drilled a hole for the mugen logo. I added more milliput on the front and rearbumper and sanded them into shape. Then I sprayed primer on them, so I can see where I'm at. I'm pretty happy so far and I haven't used the really fine sandpaper yet. It looks like the edges on the sides need more work. The bottom of the frontbumper is still to thick and the vents need much work. I need to straighten out the licenplate space on the rear and create a licence plate holder on the front.

The Mugen S2000 headlight are different then the USDM headlight which are on all of the AUTOart S2000's. I really don't like them orange and the Mugen S2000 needs them like the EUDM and JDM s2000's in a more white color. I already did mod the headlight on this model, but I was never 100% happy with them. I recently bought another S2000 AUTOart model and it needed a headlight conversion. I figured, maybe I can paint the "glass" more white, but make them slightly transparent so you still have some depth to them. I really like how they came out. It looks much more like the real car. On a different color S2000 they will pop even more I think. I might add a little orange dot behind them in the future, so it will look like the headlight has a orange lightbulb.

Original...

Before...

After...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.