Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:1/18 Le Mans Winners|Motorsport|Sim Racing|Family
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Spark, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:21 AM

Living the dream at times - now with the race budget wiped out, having a disposable income (thus 1:18 fund!) about the same as my early 20s and maximising 0% interest rate credit card deals in order to fund that new engine it doesnt feel like it... but , it's worth it in end, definitely.

All interest in fast road cars wiped out now as well, I've noticed the other racers I know all drive crap cars and I totally get it.  The 1M stays because it's appreciating in value, but it doesn't get driven much,. The Clio 182 Trophy am looking to swap for an R129 Mercedes SL500..... much more appropriate for those long trips to circuits :)  

Hooked :)
Aiming to collect all post-war Le Mans winners in scale 1:18. Even the gaps!

Follow progress in this inventory: https://www.dropbox....ry v2.xlsx?dl=0

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#102 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:27 AM

On F1 - difficult subject.  They made the move to turbos because of the manufactures. Without manufacturer money the sport is dead, or at least, dramatically different to today.  Less money from them means funding from TV and sponsors only, and would that same money be available if F1 were all privateers and off the shelf race engines?   Without a more "commercially relevant" engine spec, Renault would have pulled out, Honda would not have joined, and would Mercedes be happy just to compete with Ferrari? Doubtful.

They definitely messed it up and made them too complex though - and way too expensive. The 3 new teams joined back in 2010 or so on the promise of a £40m cost cap - no way was that ever going to happen.  I remain an eternal optimist, and hope that next year's dramatic looking regs with wider tyres and smaller wings will help the show - best thing I think they can do with the engines is just not change them for years and years and let the inevitable improvements in technology and manufacturing bring those prices down.   A new engine spec just means millions more for teams to spend......

#103 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

Quick update - the engine rebuild is nearly done. You can do the really cheap option and get an old Duratec from a scrap yard and bolt the go-faster bits like the throttle bodies and dry sump on (seen someone podium doing that), the normal option and get a crate engine and refit, or the premium option and make all changes permissible in the regulations.  Went for the latter of course, but no performance gain - just more durability.

Whilst the engine was out the other jobs mount up. A section of the floor where the rad sits was a few hundred miles away from collapsing, and the other side was sagging under the weight of the oil tank, so new carbon-fibre pieces added - more durability, bit less weight, and whilst I'm only up to chapter 3 of competition car aerodynamics, a know at least that a flatter floor is a good thing!   Also replacing the clutch, getting the shocks checked on the dyno, and finally getting a proper seat made in a couple of weeks.

Target is to test as Castle Combe on October 6th, and Silverstone International October 14th - both tracks I have plenty of data from, so can check the benefits or otherwise of this rather big bill properly.

Road car strategy completely changed - Clio 182 Trophy will shortly be swapped for an R129 Mercedes SL500 for comfy long range cruising to circuits and Le Mans;  BMW 1M up for sale to be swapped for a sensible Dad Bus, to free up money for more racing.  It's addictive.  Expensive, and addictive! :)

Edited by Mizen, 15 September 2016 - 05:03 PM.

#104 OFFLINE   Maximus

Maximus

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Interests:Moto GP, LeMans, WSBK
  • Favorite Brands:MR CMC BBR Exoto Minichamps Bikes
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:44 PM

Jesus mate you don't do  things by halves.

Hope it all comes together and you are back on track soon!

All the best

James

#105 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 439 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:30 AM

No driving update, but an update of sorts.  I got talking with Niels Heusinkveld (those sim racers here likely to know his name - bit of a general sim race legend:  physics developer, and component manufacturer) a while back about a simulator model of my car.  Whilst it wouldn't have been economical for him to build a model just for me, we worked out an arrangement where the MCR could be added to the simulator title "Automobilista", and sold to the general public.

Lots of data exchanged from my car, and loads more data from Swansea University from their MCR, and it's about to go live.   Is an incredible project, and ironically enough getting this sorted out is the thing I'm most proud of in this debut season. It looks and sounds fantastic from this youtube, goes live soon so can't wait to try it out...

https://www.youtube....h?v=f1e8-UZ3P4A

For the real car, hopefully back testing next Friday (7th) at Silverstone....

Edited by Mizen, 30 September 2016 - 08:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use