DiecastXchange Forum banner

Am I too much of a perfectionist or is a clean model too much to ask? CMC 1/12 Ferrari involved

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Wilbo 
#1 ·
So I too advantage of CK's sale on the CMC Ferraris and shelled out the money for one of the 1/12 CMC C-007 Ferrari 156 F1 beauties.

The first one I got from CK had too much toe-in on one of the rear tyres, looked really weird plus there was some residue on the engine intake mesh. CK agreed to a replacement for a what they said was a "perfect" specimen. So I got the replacement, no serious alignment issues BUT one of the tyres is dirty and a quick swipe with cotton gloves did not do anything to fix.

I asked CK about how to clean, and also to explain why the styrofoam box has black markings on the inside, and they just said these models are not perfect like real cars. When I replied back saying I am not looking for a refund of even replacement, just advice on how to clean the tyre, they just send a DHL return shipping label.

Here is a photo of the tyre. In real life the scuff mark is much more obvious than in the photo, if it were subtle I could ignore it but on a new (and very expensive!) model it looks unsightly:

Here are the black spots on the foam, again the photo does not show them as clearly as in person:

Either CMC have terrible quality control including their 1/12 models, or else CK are being a difficult dealer. What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
None of it should be like that. CMC are usually spot on too
The markings / chips out of the poly box would also annoy me. I'm with you for that sort of money you want it spot on.

#4 ·
I am really surprised at CK's curt response to your legitimate enquiry, as they clearly have a case to answer for the big $$$s paid.
I would be inclined to return it on principle....

#5 ·
Thanks guys for your feedback. I was unsure what to do, but will return to CK and try to get a better piece from Modelissimo. CK are being extremely rude about this:

Dear,

thanks for your message.

We will not over any other replacement.

Either you keep it or send it back for refund.
And after I have asked 4 times they still haven't suggested a way to clean the tyre. More than the model itself it is their attitude that makes me no longer want to do any business with them.

#6 ·
I honestly don't see anything wrong with the tire lol. I know stuff is hard to capture in pictures some times.

As for the communication with CK, yeah that's pretty crappy :(

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wouldn't bother with black spots on the Styrofoam..
Sadly I can't see what is wrong with the tyre.. But if you try to wax the tyre it might work.. But you will have to wax all 4 tyres then...

About the mail you send to CK.. If I would be CK and I would get that email I would block your account from buying it from CK.. As no one wants that kind of buyers.
And don't get me wrong that it's something wrong with you lol.. Just clean it off and forget it..

in my life I buy 46 cars of CMC

and the last new models,it is rare that it has no defect

Typically they have glue marks

what you mention is nothing compared to this

What I can see here this might be the fog which superglue leave..
Take the sticks for your ears, wet it and wipe that fog off.. It should be easy..

For the chrome tanks the only way to remove this is to polish that out..

#10 ·
I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and some imperfections do bug me but this looks very minor. It's insignificant to me personally. Styrofoam wouldn't bug me at all, but you can try to clean that tire with some alcohol or wax if it's just dirty a little from something. I know that this is an very expensive model and you expect perfection but I don't really consider those imperfections. Misaligned badges, stickers, glue residue, physical damage and such would bother me for sure but not really this one. That's my opinion :)

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm done with CK, they had multiple orders they somehow miss-address (from paypal no less) that took forever to arrive, 3 orders made the trip to Germany-USA more then once, and any issues are always like pulling teeth to get rectified. They occasionally have a few dollars less then MM on some items, but Modelissimo is much better to deal with.

I can understand 'defects' in die-cast models, considering where they are made and even at $1000 it's still dirt cheap compared to the time involved for a good modeler to do anything similar themselves. And being a modeler, I do have a tolerance for some defects, many I often touch up myself with a little tlc. Something like a tiny bit of rash that I know I can buff right out I won't even mention to a seller, I'll just fix it and be done if everything else is sorted. It's always a bit of a lottery with anything diecast, it may be the best one they have for all you know.

What I don't have tolerance for is these sellers that give you a hard time about it or a ridiculously low 'compensation' for issues. I buy a $400 model and they say $20 off your next order for paint chips or the like? Forget it, I'll make em eat the shipping and do it all over again. Now it costs them $100+ and they still have to deal with a defective model. Maybe they should of just offered $50 and I would of just kept it(I never 'offer' my thoughts on 'compensation' when I bring up an issue, I wait to see how the seller handles it first). I always use paypal backed up with an AMEX card. I DARE a seller to not fix an issue...

As for the tire scuff, not sure based on the pics what I'd try to attempt to correct it. Doesn't look that bad to me. If I saw it in person I guess I'd know right away if it could be fixed or not. I'd still throw it out to the seller and just see what the attitude is about it. Again, that may be the best one they have. Usually severe paint issues, a broken/damaged part that is 'stressed', like a suspension piece, or missing pieces are the biggest problems I'll avoid completely and reject the model. As for the dots on the styrofoam, who knows where that may have come from, may have been laid down on a dusty table while packaging them.

#13 ·
In my case CK was way better then Modelissimo. I ordered 4 times from Modelissimo in past year and they sent me 3 times used models as new. In those 3 times at least 2 models had some error on them (maybe that is why they were used).
With CK on the other side if there was issue they always worked on it and fixed it. But Modelissimo. . . "You are in US and shipping is expensive". . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.