28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nicholas Tjr

Nicholas Tjr

• DX Community
  • 38 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt
  • Proud Citizen of:sg

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:55 AM

Hi guys, I have did my search but I can't seem to find a proper answer...Reason why is because I came across a similar thread about paint cracking on diecast, so I went to take my Bugatti out from the box and found out that mine had cracked aswell over the years.. I bought it about 4years ago and it has never left the box or been displayed before..Its stored in a cool cabinet and I do not know how to prevent the paint from cracking. I have bought afew more diecast yesterday and was hoping to keep it in a way where it won't crack like my Veyron did.

Posted Image

Does anyone know if AutoArt will entertain me if I send them pics of my Veyron and hopefully they'll replace me with one that isn't damaged? Or is it too much ask?

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Interests:Photography
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart and CMC
  • Proud Citizen of:si

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:31 AM

Wow.. This is something new I newer noticed in the past! Well I have the same problems on my Gallardo but I understand because the bumpers are plastic.. But on metal..
Now when it's cracked there is not much you can do.. To prevent this you can add a few layers of clear coat.. But since cracks are visible/ darker it suck..

Autoart will not replace the model. I can guarantee you.

Edited by audirs6, 10 October 2015 - 03:32 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   thumper

thumper

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Trying to make space for rapidly breeding collection
  • Favorite Brands:Frontiart
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:41 AM

wow. and i thought my kyosho paint blistering issues were bad... is nothing safe anymore? i din't even know this could happen.

i know autoart will not replace it, but it would be interesting to hear what they say about it if you sent them pics of this damage?

#4 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

wow that looks distressing. i never come across anything like this and the only time i've heard about cracked paint is due to the underlying diecast deteriorating. Could this be caused by extremely dry weather condition but I see you are from Singapore so it is highly unlikely that was the cause.

#5 ONLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5,753 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:05 AM

I have only one model with that, a Diablo roadster from Autoart but its a old model and the guy who have it didnt take care of with all the dust it has...I dont think we cant do anything about it :dunno:

#6 OFFLINE   TALSCTSV

TALSCTSV

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 418 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Hot Wheels Elite
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:51 AM

Sorry to see that. I guess I will have to take some time and look over ALL of my cars now. Seeing all these posts with paint rash and now paint cracking has me worried.
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   The Paladin

The Paladin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Autoart, Welly
  • Proud Citizen of:cl

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

I havent seen this issue with any of my cars but I have bought 2 used cars with is issue but they were old and not treated good. I dont worry about it really.

#8 OFFLINE   Nicholas Tjr

Nicholas Tjr

• DX Community
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:26 PM

It seems like paint cracking only happens to people who don't take care of their diecast? May I know if leaving it in the box for 4years considered the same? I don't display my diecast..And I see there's no answer to prevent these cracks?

#9 OFFLINE   Nicholas Tjr

Nicholas Tjr

• DX Community
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

Posted Image

This was the response I got from AutoArt..Is that it? No solutions at all? I asked them how do i prevent this from happening to my other AutoArt diecast and this is how they respond? Pretty poor reply from them I must say...Needless to say, I just ordered a McLaren F1 LM from them and that will be my LAST AutoArt diecast from now on.

I am not even asking for a refund or anything..I was looking for a way to prevent this from happening and it looks like they're just pushing away all blames. Anyone else have the same issue with their AutoArt?

#10 OFFLINE   Nicholas Tjr

Nicholas Tjr

• DX Community
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:37 AM

A followup from the original thread I made here.
http://www.diecastxc...-from-cracking/

I sent them the following email asking for a suggestion on what can be done or prevent for further cases like that.
Posted Image

This was the response I got from them thru email.
Posted Image

Pretty poor reply from them I must say...I just ordered a McLaren F1 LM from them (and bought 4 more diecast since I sent that email to them) needless to say, the McLaren F1 LM will be my LAST AutoArt diecast from now on.

I am not even asking for a refund or anything..I was looking for a way to prevent this from happening and it looks like they're just pushing away all blames. Anyone else have the same issue with their AutoArt?

Edit: For anyone who wonder why I decided to create a new thread for this, I want this to be a headsup to anyone who is an AutoArt fan to know how you will be treated if something like this happens to your diecast. I was a fan and still a fan of AutoArt. But their service is terrible.

Edited by Nicholas Tjr, 19 October 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Petey

Petey

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

If they don't know what's caused it what are they meant to do? It could be anything.

I have noticed a lot of these paint defect cases are on models that have been stored in their boxes for years. Mine are all exposed to light, dust etc and none have developed anything
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,852 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

**Threads merged**

Thanks.

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#13 OFFLINE   technica

technica

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ricko... Anything goes!

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:46 PM

Looks like the paintwork is too dry. Did you put some silica packs in the styrofoam box? Or place the box near windows or wall that are subjected to high heat or exposed to spot lights? Those scenarios could be what caused this issue.

It is also recommended to wax your models. Since many do not know of this issue, could this be a one-off?

I only encounter paint cracks on my older AUTOart models on thick paints. Some examples will be the white paintwork on the front part of the Toyota GT1, or any other race cars with roundels. They appeared to be painting a thick coat of white (over red for the GT1) which in any case is too thick and paint tends to crack on thicker paintwork. :twocents:

Edited by technica, 19 October 2015 - 06:57 PM.

Check out my custom works at Technica's Portfolio.
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   Batman

Batman

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Batman, Beatles and Bond! Wine, women and song!
  • Number of Models:Enough! Enough is enough... but never enough!
  • Favorite Brands:Lesney Matchbox, Hot Wheels (Redlines) and Corgi

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

View PostNicholas Tjr, on 19 October 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

Posted Image

This was the response I got from AutoArt..Is that it? No solutions at all? I asked them how do i prevent this from happening to my other AutoArt diecast and this is how they respond? Pretty poor reply from them I must say...Needless to say, I just ordered a McLaren F1 LM from them and that will be my LAST AutoArt diecast from now on.

Yes, it has happened to 3 AutoArt 007 Aston Martin DB5 I had. First the paint developed stress cracks, then bubbling on two of the three, then the metal underneath the paint starts to become very brittle. I wrote AutoArt about it several years ago and even included the pictures. They gave me no response.

#15 OFFLINE   Nicholas Tjr

Nicholas Tjr

• DX Community
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostBatman, on 19 October 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

Posted Image

Yes, it has happened to 3 AutoArt 007 Aston Martin DB5 I had. First the paint developed stress cracks, then bubbling on two of the three, then the metal underneath the paint starts to become very brittle. I wrote AutoArt about it several years ago and even included the pictures. They gave me no response.

It's a shame really...

And no i did not put silica packs in the box as it does not come with it when I bought it. And coming from a country with 100% humitiy..it can't be too dry? lol.
I placed the box at the bottom row of a display cabinet in a corner of the guest room along with other diecast and only the Autoart has cracks. No spot lights or heat in that area. And no air condition either so it can't be too cool. Any other suggestion as to why it happens? Could it just be a manufacter defect that they are not admitting to?

#16 OFFLINE   Batman

Batman

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Batman, Beatles and Bond! Wine, women and song!
  • Number of Models:Enough! Enough is enough... but never enough!
  • Favorite Brands:Lesney Matchbox, Hot Wheels (Redlines) and Corgi

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

View PostNicholas Tjr, on 20 October 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

View PostBatman, on 19 October 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

Posted Image

It's a shame really...

And no i did not put silica packs in the box as it does not come with it when I bought it. And coming from a country with 100% humitiy..it can't be too dry? lol.
I placed the box at the bottom row of a display cabinet in a corner of the guest room along with other diecast and only the Autoart has cracks. No spot lights or heat in that area. And no air condition either so it can't be too cool. Any other suggestion as to why it happens? Could it just be a manufacter defect that they are not admitting to?

It really has nothing to do with how you have stored it, but the material used in the mix of making the diecast metal. Click this link for a very good explanation of what's happened to your car. http://jsssoftware.c...cast cancer.pdf

#17 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4,382 posts
  • Interests:1/18 scale die cast, collecting and customizing.
  • Favorite Brands:Racers

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:46 PM

Back in my younger years, I worked in a foundry that specialized in non-ferrous casting.  We made parts out of brass, stainless steel, aluminum, etc.  I was the furnace operator on the night shift, which also included a metallurgist, a foreman, and a two or three person set-up crew.  The normal procedure for an evening shift was for me to start up the furnace, to begin melting the primary metal we were going to pour that evening, while the crew set out the castings on the pouring floor.

Once the primary metal got hot enough to be molten, the metallurgist would take a sample and go back into his lab, and determine what elements to add to create the proper alloy to meet the customer's specifications.

One night we were pouring stainless steel, which frequently uses certain compounds to make it slightly brittle.  Well, the common practice was for me to charge the molten mass with the elements that the metallurgist would bring out to my work station.  That night we were going to do two pours, from the same base metal, so he made up two charges.  I input the first one, and then took a break, as it would take 30-45 minutes for the metal to totally assimilate the charge.  The foreman comes over, sees a charge sitting in the furnace area, and he adds it, as well.

Neither one of us knew what the other had done, and we went about pouring the batch.  The double charge of elements made the stainless steel so brittle that if you dropped a piece on the floor, it would shatter like a piece of glass.

Not saying I excuse any diecast manufacturer for casting a faulty product, but I do understand how it can happen.
Threadkiller

Crowded Elevator smell differently to Blind Midget.

It's just there so I won't get banned.

No sé donde estaré mañana.

#18 OFFLINE   technica

technica

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostBatman, on 20 October 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

It really has nothing to do with how you have stored it, but the material used in the mix of making the diecast metal. Click this link for a very good explanation of what's happened to your car. http://jsssoftware.c...cast cancer.pdf

That's an awesome article. I have saved it. Thanks. :occasion14:

However I think the cracking of the paint is a different issue from the diecast cancer (there are topics about this in DX as well). :twocents:

View PostNicholas Tjr, on 20 October 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

It's a shame really...

Where did you buy this model? Was it from another collector or from a retailer? The model may have been stored in undesired condition. It could look good when you bought it but deteriorates over time. Also, the level of humidity is different comparing the environment with the interior of a closed styrofoam box. :twocents:

Edited by technica, 20 October 2015 - 10:15 PM.

Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4,382 posts
  • Interests:1/18 scale die cast, collecting and customizing.
  • Favorite Brands:Racers

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:09 PM

I'd have to respectfully disagree that cracking paint and disintegration of the underlying metal are unrelated. If the paint cured over a relatively intact body, which then starts to deteriorate (and potentially put off gases or expand due to whatever process it is undergoing), then subsurface cracking is inevitable.
Threadkiller

Crowded Elevator smell differently to Blind Midget.

It's just there so I won't get banned.

No sé donde estaré mañana.

#20 OFFLINE   technica

technica

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:15 PM

View Postibj40, on 20 October 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

I'd have to respectfully disagree that cracking paint and disintegration of the underlying metal are unrelated. If the paint cured over a relatively intact body, which then starts to deteriorate (and potentially put off gases or expand due to whatever process it is undergoing), then subsurface cracking is inevitable.
Agreed. From the picture it looks like the model had been exposed to strong UV for a prolonged period. Either spot lights or sunlight... :twocents:

Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,910 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for the input, ibj40. Really informative
Wes

#22 OFFLINE   technica

technica

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

View Posttechnica, on 20 October 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

View Postibj40, on 20 October 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

Agreed. From the picture it looks like the model had been exposed to strong UV for a prolonged period. Either spot lights or sunlight... :twocents:
Oops, I mis-read your quote. Yes it could happen like you mention as well. :occasion14:

Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   Nicholas Tjr

Nicholas Tjr

• DX Community
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:15 AM

View Posttechnica, on 20 October 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

Where did you buy this model? Was it from another collector or from a retailer?
Bought it from a diecast retailer locally..They told me to email Autoart..

#24 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,852 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

That's a bit of a cop out on their part!!

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#25 OFFLINE   didcos

didcos

• DX Community
  • 4 posts
  • Favorite Brands:autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:ch

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

In my opinion this problem is not related to the Zinc Pest issue.

I have a DTM Mercedes 190 from Autoart which also has the same "paint cracking" problem on the rear bumper which is made of plastic. I also have the same problem with the rear wing of a Mitsubishi Lancer WRC, which is also made of plastic. Some Autoart Focus WRC Rally cars (version from 2001 seem the most affected) are also developping the same problem all over the blue paint on the rear of the car. That's on metal but it doens't look anything like zinc pest.

I think this problem has a tendency to appear when a secondary color is sprayed over a primary one (ex: white of the mitsu spoiler over the red base coat, blue of the focus over white, gold of the 190 over black). That's my theory, based on my three cars that have this kind of issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use