How to prevent paint from cracking?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,104 posts
  • Interests:1/18 scale die cast, collecting and customizing.
  • Favorite Brands:Racers
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:33 PM

incompatibility of paints can also cause issues.  It would be interesting to know the manufacturing sequencing of these models, to know when primer or initial coats are applied, and how much curing takes place before subsequent coats are applied.  There are so many variables, it is impossible to construct an answer which addresses every instance on every model.
Threadkiller

Crowded Elevator smell differently to Blind Midget.

It's just there so I won't get banned.

No sé donde estaré mañana.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 OFFLINE   technica

technica

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,628 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ricko... Anything goes!
  • Proud Citizen of: sg

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:36 PM

Came across a similar issue on this thread:
http://www.diecastxc...-toyota-gt-one/

Check out my custom works at Technica's Portfolio.
Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   didcos

didcos

• DX Community
  • 4 posts
  • Favorite Brands:autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: ch

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:49 AM

Very interesting. I forgot but I have also exactly the same problem on the front hood of all my Mitsubishi Lancer WRC EVO 6. It's a Marlboro white triangle or square painted on the red hood. And the white paint is cracking. That's very noticable on some and less on others. That kinda reinforces my belief that it's often  related to secondary colors applied over a primary ones.

#29 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

Thats weird to see paint cracks like that.

I did some research on paint cracks on cars and this is what I found:
"Cracking
Also termed as alligatoring, checking, crow’s feet, spitting or crazing, this problem usually appears as lines or cracks in your car’s topcoat. Appearing like the cracks on dried mud, these marks usually come in different widths and lengths.
Cause:
There are a number of things that could result in the cracking of your car paint. These include excessive thickness of your undercoat or topcoat’s film, force-drying of undercoats with the air coming your spray gun or inadequate flash time after every coat.
The non-thorough agitation or stirring of the paint ingredients or the improper mixture or excessive usage of hardener are also two other possible reasons. Then, there is also the use of standardized hardeners or reducers or the breaking down of your car’s finish due to the continued exposure of your vehicle to direct sunlight, extreme changes of temperature or moisture.
Repair:
There is nothing else you can do to fix this kind of blemish, but to get rid of all the cracked paint film and then refinish.
Prevention:
Even during the painting process, you can already prevent cracking from happening and it can be started by the proper application of all paint materials according to all the directions on their labels. Before starting with the refinishing procedure, remove all the cracked or crazed finishes completely.
Only use the recommended paint additives and mix these thoroughly with all the other ingredients. Each component must be added according to the recommended sequence and proper ratio for mixing. All materials should be agitated or stirred meticulously as well before using to make sure that all the ingredients are mixed into the solution.
Never use air from your spray gun to force dry undercoating. Be sure to use only the recommender reducer or thinner and hardener and measure them accurately before application. If you want maximum durability and gloss for your car, you should always use a two-component undercoat and topcoat system for it."

Edited by blieu118, 22 October 2015 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use