lateapex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:no

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:25 AM

Thats their "about" on Facebook anyway. I just wished they used some of those cents on quality control. Here is my new Z432 (with spotless box and all seals in place):

http://i.imgur.com/caYNNBH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/h6mesHi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j5aUVKW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kUosqoT.jpg

The messed up paint along the edges is great, but my favourite is the guy who glued on the windscreen wiper!

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ///M meister

///M meister

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,045 posts
  • Interests:Cars, BMW, F1, New England Patriots, TV, Pop! Vinyls, Star Wars.
  • Number of Models:Not enough
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit, OttOmobile, HWE, Welly
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:22 AM

I can honestly say that I've never been that impressed with an AUTOart model, the only ones I had were the silver 924 carrera gt and the red 1988 911 carrera 3.2 and they were nice models detail wise but poorly executed for what they cost. The 924's ride height was noticeably lower on one side than the other and the steering wheel wasn't on straight. The 911 also had ride height issues where only one front wheel was lower that the other 3 so it constantly had a wheel off the ground and paint chipping around the shut lines of the doors like your datsun.

I'm not a very fussy guy and I know that no model is perfect but AUTOart constantly talk about themselves like they are the best thing since sliced bread and everything they make is wonderful, but in reality they're just another minichamps in my opinion, prices constantly being hiked up and the quality gets worse.

TOM

My 1:18 road car collection:
http://www.diecastxc...ers-collection/

#3 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,804 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

I stopped buying them. I buy the older stuff if I'm missing it, but I won't touch the new ones.

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#4 OFFLINE   Frenchy

Frenchy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:JDM, Exotics
    Drive an Evo 9 Wagon
  • Number of Models:74
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:32 AM

I have moved onto resin now, along with Craig i have bought older editions such as skylines and lambos.
I will continue to buy older autoart, but no more new ones just not the same anymore sadly.
:lamende:
Click the image to see my JDM collection
Posted Image

JDMアディクト

#5 OFFLINE   Floper54

Floper54

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • Number of Models:400+
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Autoart, GMP, Minichamps,.....
  • Proud Citizen of:fr

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:09 AM

View PostCraig, on 31 March 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

I stopped buying them. I buy the older stuff if I'm missing it, but I won't touch the new ones.

Same for me, i won't buy the new ones except for the Z06 C7 Corvette,

I buy only the older models with the right price and a good quality....

And it's a great feel when you find an "old" 787B 40% cheaper than the new plastic Huracan ! :giggle:
My 1/18 collection : 400+ models http://www.diecastxc...118-collection/

#6 OFFLINE   The Paladin

The Paladin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 265 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:cl

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

Some of their cars are perfect but others have little issues here and there, the quality control is kind of hit or miss. For example I have the blue and red aventador, the red had flaws while the blue was espectacular

#7 OFFLINE   mkhabbaz

mkhabbaz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Interests:Engineering. Cobas. Gardening. Animal husbandry. The Bachelor/Bachelorette.
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

I have a lot of respect for people who buy autoart these days. They are soo soo brave.

Attached File  Alanjackson.JPG   25.31K   0 downloads
I'll take that one and that one and that one!

Take a look at my Muscle Cars! Vroom Screech Beep!
http://www.diecastxc...nged-diecaster/

#8 OFFLINE   ocz4life

ocz4life

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 804 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:rs

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

Some Autoart's have it'f flaws, IMO it's the shape they very often mess up along with small errors such as wrong this or that. And on some models it's not uncommon that hood or trunk won't stay open but they were definitely very tidy looking models and I have around 30 of them. However it does seem Autoart drifted away producing really good models. This what you got on your Nissan I don't have on any of my Autoart's, all are very tidy up close

#9 ONLINE   Arnage

Arnage

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 195 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:12 PM

Trust me Autoart quality is great compared to TSM. They are so much littered with QC defects that I wonder if it's possible to find ONE good TSM out there.

#10 OFFLINE   wrx_triggerhappy

wrx_triggerhappy

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4,875 posts
  • Number of Models:Lost count
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, ERTL, SC, Greenlight

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

I think any model comes with defects Arnage. Sad but true. I've had kyosho, minichamps, autoart, tsm even gt spirit models show up with issues. It's the name of the game. I think now it's getting tougher to justify the price so I wait for sales to purchase....and by then you know you are getting the returns (because we know sellers are that cheap).

Posted Image

Sam

Recent Additions:
Not much since the wife controls me and the money and the 93 octane isn't cheap!

my collection

#11 ONLINE   Arnage

Arnage

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 195 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart, Exoto

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

I agree with you. Actually so far I had very good experience with CMC and Autoart. Everything else varies greatly. I have seen a couple of bad GT Spirit as well. When I buy online or overseas models that are out of production or in limited supply I am very reluctant to return them if they have a few (fixable) issues. So I end up correcting the issues myself and sometimes it involves several hours of my time. So now I prefer buying high end (read expensive) diecast known to have less issues. Because my time is also $$.

#12 OFFLINE   Affi

Affi

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,048 posts
  • Interests:1 18, diorama, die cast in general and Accessories
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61, ERTL, GMP, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of:nl

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:59 AM

Probably to early to say, but I think that AUTOart is going to be 'Led down brand of the year'
Prices and ABS..

Its impossible that AUTOart doesn't feel it in their wallet? :dunno:
Posted Image
You can find my collection HERE
Farfegnugen

#13 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:26 AM

View PostCraig, on 31 March 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

As a BMW collector, there's very little/nothing new from AutoArt so I can't really comment.

However, their old Millennium models (2002 turbo, 635, 3.0CSi) are some of the best out there. The 'golden age' of BMW diecast imo. V expensive now though. :gaah:
:adore:Posted Image Because fanboy.

#14 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:42 AM

I think its a bit hit and miss, some are good, some really good, and some quite bad. The tuned Skylines (using the old mould I guess) are fantastic. The paint is great, I have two. Its like a different company has made this one, I looked at it some more before packing it back up (its going back) and the paint is weird. Thin on edges - like the body line along the side and lower door, almost seeing primer there -  a bit dull and inconsistent. Hoping I was just unlucky, gonna get another. The car itself looks great.

#15 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,904 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:28 AM

You guys have to realize that the diecastxchange crowd represents less than 1% of the collectors. Most collectors don't know this site exists, don't visit any model forums. They walk into a store, pick up a box, twirl it around, look at the price and either put it down or buy it. So this is the bulk of Autoart's customers. So Autoart's failure can only be judged by how many units they sell (or not sell) to those guys. And really, I think there's no way to know. But us criticizing autoart can probably be compared to a few people stranded on a tiny island in the pacific saying the weather sucks lol. Really makes no difference to the rest of the world and only representative of our tiny slice of the pie.
Wes

#16 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

While that is true, the experience and reactions our less than 1% represents translates to most collectors. Collectors obviously care about the stuff they buy, members of forums or not. I am not including the kids that get Autoarts from their well off parents as toys, because that is obviously an even smaller percentage. These are are luxury items, and we marvel at the care and finish, the finer details that are crafted to please the eyes. Collectors care about this, otherwise there would be no need to put the effort in, and if quality goes down the same collectors get mad in their living rooms or wherever they look at their models outside forums and collectors sites, and if its a trend rather than a case of bad luck they will stop buying or lose interest. Wouldnt they? Why pay a premium if you dont care about premium quality?

I have seen it stated several times that Autoart only care about the Chinese market, but surely Chinese buyers also like high end models for the same reasons we do.

#17 OFFLINE   will1066

will1066

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Favorite Brands:autoart

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:38 AM

View PostStratosWRC, on 01 April 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

You guys have to realize that the diecastxchange crowd represents less than 1% of the collectors. Most collectors don't know this site exists, don't visit any model forums. They walk into a store, pick up a box, twirl it around, look at the price and either put it down or buy it. So this is the bulk of Autoart's customers. So Autoart's failure can only be judged by how many units they sell (or not sell) to those guys. And really, I think there's no way to know. But us criticizing autoart can probably be compared to a few people stranded on a tiny island in the pacific saying the weather sucks lol. Really makes no difference to the rest of the world and only representative of our tiny slice of the pie.

I agree on all points, but would add that Autoart would really feel it when the wholesalers and distributors re-up less and less either by frequency or volume.

View Postlateapex, on 01 April 2016 - 06:42 AM, said:

I think its a bit hit and miss, some are good, some really good, and some quite bad. The tuned Skylines (using the old mould I guess) are fantastic. The paint is great, I have two. Its like a different company has made this one, I looked at it some more before packing it back up (its going back) and the paint is weird. Thin on edges - like the body line along the side and lower door, almost seeing primer there -  a bit dull and inconsistent. Hoping I was just unlucky, gonna get another. The car itself looks great.

What I'm going to say is nothing new: They have been bleeding skilled labor as China moves up to high-tech industries and manufacturing.

Never lift up anything on a model using the clear parts. Never.

#18 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,816 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:58 PM

I havenot bought a new Autoart model for a while after I bought a Veneno. I was disappointed and got it sold. Say for example, the paint job on their performance Lamborghini LP640 and 670-4 are way better than their signature Veneno.

#19 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

My experience with Autoart models have been somewhat satisfactory *knock on wood* that i haven't encounter any nasty surprises yet. Then again maybe i don't have high expectations on them since majority of them were bought at secondary market and at discounts.After buying 50 plus AUTOart models I do find their build quality (although not perfect) is consistent across all models. I agree with g3org3y about their BMW range. I personally think those models from that era were probably the best in term of quality vs price ratio. No doubt their current offerings are still great but their ridiculous price hike has turned me away. In fact I have stopped looking at new releases from pretty much all premium makers and just buying old models if the price is right.

#20 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

I agree, it may come across as bashing at times, but I do have mostly Autoart models. It IS my favourite brand, despite all the annoyances they dish out. I disagree about the consitency though, I think there are wast differences in "feel" between models of fairly the same era, and older models like the BMW`s mentioned are excellent. Also some of the old Porsches.

The period of sealed race cars was rubbish, and despite not having seen any up close, it seems the plastic models are not getting a lot of applause.

#21 OFFLINE   Guiddy

Guiddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 376 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

View Postblieu118, on 01 April 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

For example, the paint job on their performance Lamborghini LP640 and 670-4 are way better than their signature Veneno.

I'll second that! The paint on my Red Murcielago LP670-4 is amazing, it feels like a signature model. The Veneno I just bought has been the attention of my polishing compounds and much time. There were even fingerprints in the lacquer on the engine cover!
Still, it won't stop me buying the 'acceptable' models (Plastic ones do not fit that!) and if I have to give them a bit of attention, so be it!

#22 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:44 AM

View Postlateapex, on 02 April 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

The period of sealed race cars was rubbish, and despite not having seen any up close, it seems the plastic models are not getting a lot of applause.

Yes, nothing special. Look ok on the shelf but lack the detail and quality of their older efforts.

Posted Image

The AutoArt sealed touring car (centre) is comprehensively blown out the water by the Kyosho (right) for quality and detail.
:adore:Posted Image Because fanboy.

#23 OFFLINE   mkhabbaz

mkhabbaz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Interests:Engineering. Cobas. Gardening. Animal husbandry. The Bachelor/Bachelorette.
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:54 PM

I never felt that AUTOart was trying to maximize my collection satisfaction.
They need to do American Muscle.
I'll take that one and that one and that one!

Take a look at my Muscle Cars! Vroom Screech Beep!
http://www.diecastxc...nged-diecaster/

#24 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:24 AM

I sent it back to amiami, they seem helpful enough. Now I just hope the replacement is better.

#25 OFFLINE   wrx_triggerhappy

wrx_triggerhappy

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4,875 posts
  • Number of Models:Lost count
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, ERTL, SC, Greenlight

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:37 AM

Wes we are all on a tiny island in the Pacific. If you look to your side don't you see the sandy beaches.....of old diecast.... :giggle:

Your absolutely right 'Apex that AUTOart and many diecast manufacturers focus to the asian market. Its huge curb appeal vs. here or in europe. But surely there has to be some complaining from those collectors who recognize things are not well in the ocean of Autoart and they need to fix it.

Posted Image

Sam

Recent Additions:
Not much since the wife controls me and the money and the 93 octane isn't cheap!

my collection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use