Racing Car Weirdness

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Interests:NFL, Auto racing, playing Pool, collecting large-scale diecast racing cars (1/18th and up)
  • Number of Models:123 (with two on the way)
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, GMP, Minichamps, Carousel 1, Auto Art
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:04 AM

I was browsing my latest notification of Pinterest updates when I saw this photo and had to show someone. During the early days of attention to aerodynamics in the late 60's, once Jim Hall's Chaparral 2E opened Pandora's box with its high wing, all kinds of approaches to improving roadholding started to appear, some representing more thoughtful analysis than others. 1968 was the year that high wings started to sprout on formula cars, but this one takes the cake.

This is Jochen Rindt in the Roy Winkelmann Racing Formula 2 Brabham BT23C-Cosworth Ford at Albi in the F2 race there in October, 1968. Keep in mind that this driver/car/engine combination were all-conquering that year, so this particular addition may have been overkill:

Posted Image

Here's another picture from the same race meeting, implying that the above was likely just a test:

Posted Image
I just want someone whose baggage goes with mine [from "Rent"]...
- Red

My 1/18th collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...16/#entry557038

My 1/43rd collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...d-riverside-300

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Batman

Batman

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Batman, Beatles and Bond! Wine, women and song!
  • Number of Models:Enough! Enough is enough... but never enough!
  • Favorite Brands:Lesney Matchbox, Hot Wheels (Redlines) and Corgi

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

Truly WEIRD!!!

#3 OFFLINE   Falango

Falango

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 245 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:47 AM

Strange looking now, but I miss that kind of innovation and engineering surprise. The rulebook doesn't allow for much of this now, but when the out of the ordinary does appear, it's very cool to see.

#4 OFFLINE   amarus69

amarus69

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 813 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Carousel1 / Exoto / CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: at

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:33 AM

Thanks Wes for sharing these Pictures with us! It was a crazy period in motorsports and many drivers were used as subjects for experimentation. Regarding your pictures I must think about the double high-wing of Lotus driven by Jochen Rindt or Graham Hill:

Posted Image

Edited by amarus69, 15 June 2016 - 01:34 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Interests:NFL, Auto racing, playing Pool, collecting large-scale diecast racing cars (1/18th and up)

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:45 AM

It's Red, not Wes :nice: .

And you have to admit that the wing on top of Rindt's F2 car is even more extreme than the biplane wings on the Lotus 49B :yahoo: !

Actuallly, it was Ferrari which first introduced actual wings to F1 in the 1968 Belgian Grand Prix (see Chris Amon's #22 Ferrari 312 on pole position to the front right) with Brabham copying it at the same race:

Posted Image

By the 1968 British GP wings had sprouted on numerous cars, with the factory Lotus 49Bs having the largest and moving their wing struts from the body to the suspensions:

Posted Image

But it wasn't until the Canadian Grand Prix that year that the first biplane F1 cars appeared, courtesy of Brabham:

Posted Image

Neither of the Brabhams finished the race, though Jochen Rindt qualified his on the pole. By the end of 1968, Brabham was still the only car running the biplane wings, but in South Africa, the first race of the 1969 season, multiple teams were, including Lotus, which you posted the pic for. But wing failures were frequent; polesitter Jack Brabham's Brabham-Repco BT26A went out with a rear wing failure.

In the 2nd race of the season, the Spanish Grand Prix, Brabham showed up with the usual biplanes. Lotus went back to a single wing but hoisted the biggest wings ever seen in F1 with spindly, thin struts; team drivers Rindt and Graham Hill qualified 1st and 3rd.

Posted Image
Rindt leading the 1969 Spanish GP with Amon's Ferrari in the background running 2nd.

At race time, Rindt took off in the lead followed by Chris Amon's Ferrari (with the largest wing Ferrari had ever installed) and Hill. On lap nine, Hill's wing collapsed and sent him into the Armco fence. Elleven laps later the exact same thing happened to Rindt and he hit the fence and Hill's abandoned car, lucky to come away with just a broken nose.

Posted Image
Hill walking away from his wrecked Lotus

Posted Image
Rindt crashing after his rear wing collapsed, soon to bounce into Hill's abandoned wreck.

Late in the race, Jackie Ickx, running 2nd in the second team Brabham biplane, suffered a rear wing failure and had to pit to repair it:

Posted Image

At the next race, the Monaco GP, the CSI decided (only after the first practice had been held!) to ban all wings effective immediately and that was the end of F1's Wing Era....

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 03 July 2016 - 12:49 PM.

- Red

#6 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,090 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:58 AM

Fascinating and informative thread Red  :occasion14: :10:    Looking  back, Hill and Rindt were so lucky to emerge unscathed! :omg:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#7 ONLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4,416 posts
  • Interests:1/18 scale die cast, collecting and customizing.
  • Favorite Brands:Racers

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

It's just too bad that the F1 wings were after-thoughts, with little to no development, whereas the wings they were copying, on the Can Am Chaparrals and McLarens had been more thoroughly engineered.  I don't think a Can Am wing ever failed (other than the actuation system of the Chaparrals).
Threadkiller

Crowded Elevator smell differently to Blind Midget.

It's just there so I won't get banned.

No sé donde estaré mañana.

#8 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:08 PM

Thanks, Eddy - you know me and racing history, I have to comment where I see fit!

And you are so right, Jim - in F1 the obsession with light weight led them to take unexplored shortcuts, the inadequacies of which tended to show out at the worst times. As I've noted elsewhere on DX, "
compare them [the Lotus 49B struts] to the struts on the Chaparral [2E] and ask yourself why they had no chance at holding up to race speeds and drag (weight-conscious Lotus owner Colin Chapman refused to strengthen the uprights before the Grand Prix started so he reaped what he sowed...)". There were drivers over the years who refused to drive for Chapman, feeling that he took shortcuts to lighten his cars that were dangerous and this is a perfect example of that.

Here's a famous letter that Jochen Rindt wrote to Chapman five days after the Spanish Grand Prix debacle and less than a week before the CSI stepped in and banned all high wings permanently:

Posted Image
The link below shows Rindt still in the remains of his Lotus as his teammate Graham Hill and another man attempt to help him and clearly documents his motivation for the above letter. LOOK AT YOUR OWN PERIL, it's not a pleasant sight (at least one person posted it as a photo of a dead driver, but Rindt suffered "just" a broken nose and a concussion):

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/70/2b/2e/702b2ef2a67b94d9752208651dd0398a.jpg

Keep in mind that, despite his open hatred of the wings, Rindt returned to being probably the fastest driver in F1 (and completely dominated F2 for years). Sadly, his death at Monza the next year could also at least in part be attributable to a lack of understanding of aerodynamics. He raced the revolutionary Lotus 72 to four consecutive victories with its triple-layer rear spoiler but for the high-speed Monza circuit the spoiler was removed from a car which was designed WITH it as a standard element. Although it was a broken front brakeshaft that was blamed for his loss of control, the lack of stability due to the missing rear spoiler could still have been a factor. Ultimately, it was poorly installed crash barriers which killed him and several other drivers until the barrier technology was improved years later.

Edited by Jersey_Devil, 03 July 2016 - 12:45 PM.

- Red

#9 OFFLINE   amarus69

amarus69

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 813 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Carousel1 / Exoto / CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: at

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:53 AM

Great informations and Pictures - thanks Red!!

#10 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

You comment - I have no words....

Posted Image
- Red

#11 OFFLINE   beemer1978

beemer1978

• DX Community
  • 74 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart Kyosho GMP Spark

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

Haha.....

View PostJersey_Devil, on 15 April 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

#12 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,322 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:38 AM

View PostJersey_Devil, on 15 April 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

That's an Australian car being raced in the Northern hemisphere.
I would suggest somethings been lost in translation.....

#13 OFFLINE   protzenegger

protzenegger

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Number of Models:Too many
  • Favorite Brands:Whoever makes an awesome model of what I want

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:13 PM

How does that thing turn?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use