FrontiArt: warping window trims of Aston Martin One-77 Open and bad customer care

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jewrist

jewrist

• DX Community
  • 28 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:ru

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:55 AM

Hi all! I've kept my 'Aston Martin One-77 Open' by FrontiArt in its original box since 2013. When some days ago I wanted to look at it and took it out of the box I saw that all metal window trims were warping due to bad glue, front compartment was warping too for some reason.

Unfortunately I don't have rights to upload more than 150K, so only one picture shows the problem.

This Aston was my favourite model because I'm very fond of the original and the execuion of the model is just awesome.

What a frustration to see things like this on the favourite model which also cost me bonkers money!

I informed about this problem the seller, a FrontiArt dealer which has a great track record and FrotiArt itself.

The seller (mini_car_fan on eBay) didn't reply, dealer promised to help if I failed with FrontiArt, and Tracy from FrontiArt just shocked me with the following:

'For One 77 white color, we did sold out a long time and around more than 3 years, we did stop production of it.
We will freely offer you the part but the freight will be cost by you, the shipping cost is $31usd. Let us know if you agree it and then we will arrange it for you.'

Seriously? FrontiArt sells US $ 700 models which window trims warp due to weak glue and they ask me to pay spare parts shipping? I thought they could offer significantly better than this. And what the hell has the stopping of production of white Aston to do with it? They all are the same.

For the front cover, she advised me to watch the attached video and then to repair it by myself if possible.

What do you guys think about it? Regards.

Attached Files

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:51 AM

If you want to add more pictures, you'd need to host them yourself & upload them (don't put them as an attachment)

That can be fixed, but it's not so easy & you'd need  a steady hand. If they'll send you a full set of windows for the shipping cost, that's not so bad. For one window though, that's not cool!

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#3 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,143 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:53 AM

I thought their opening models had solid plastic windows and not the thin flimsy stuff? I asked this question before and that's what I've been told. Clearly it's not true cause that looks like the thin flimsy stuff.
Wes

#4 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:33 AM

Oh and what do you mean by front cover? The hood?
Wes

#5 ONLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:28 PM

Im surprised they are not willing to cover the shipping like I always get from MR. Im sure they can do the same like what MR does but they just don't want to.

Edited by blieu118, 20 July 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   jewrist

jewrist

• DX Community
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:44 PM

View PostStratosWRC, on 20 July 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

I thought their opening models had solid plastic windows and not the thin flimsy stuff? I asked this question before and that's what I've been told. Clearly it's not true cause that looks like the thin flimsy stuff.

It's not about windows but metal window trims - on both sides. Windows are of solid plastic and looking OK.

View PostStratosWRC, on 20 July 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

Oh and what do you mean by front cover? The hood?

Actually not me but Tracy but yes - the hood (engine bonnet).

#7 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:02 AM

Wait so the hood is getting crooked? Do you have a picture of this?
Wes

#8 OFFLINE   jewrist

jewrist

• DX Community
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:36 PM

I'm not sure if I can call it 'crooked' but here it is:

Attached Files

Edited by jewrist, 21 July 2016 - 05:37 PM.

#9 ONLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

It does not look crooked. Its just not well aligned maybe its been like this from the beginning? What happens if you pressed it down. Will the other end pop up?

Edited by blieu118, 21 July 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   jewrist

jewrist

• DX Community
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:59 PM

It was not like that in the beginning. I'm sure of that. When I press it down it just returns to its initial (as it is on the photo) shape. The other end is the same:

Attached Files

Edited by jewrist, 22 July 2016 - 12:13 AM.

#11 ONLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:10 AM

Is there something inside the hood that prevents it from closing properly?

When you said "returns to its Initial shape", it means the hood is bend out of shape right? Is the hood flexible to touch or solid?

Edited by blieu118, 22 July 2016 - 12:13 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   jewrist

jewrist

• DX Community
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

View PostCraig, on 20 July 2016 - 03:51 AM, said:

If you want to add more pictures, you'd need to host them yourself & upload them (don't put them as an attachment)
OK, Craig, I see. Thank you!

View PostCraig, on 20 July 2016 - 03:51 AM, said:

That can be fixed, but it's not so easy & you'd need  a steady hand. If they'll send you a full set of windows for the shipping cost, that's not so bad. For one window though, that's not cool!
I would't mind if shipping cost was, let's say, 10 bucks. But 31!!! For a couple of metal stripes which weigh like a feather?

Edited by jewrist, 22 July 2016 - 12:25 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   jewrist

jewrist

• DX Community
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:50 AM

View Postblieu118, on 22 July 2016 - 12:10 AM, said:

Is there something inside the hood that prevents it from closing properly?

When you said "returns to its Initial shape", it means the hood is bend out of shape right? Is the hood flexible to touch or solid?

It's somewhat difficult to type posts for some reason... No, there's nothing inside. The hood is flexible and I meant that when I press it down it returns to its initial shape. But when I release it it becomes misaligned again. I have to watch the video I got from Tracy to repair it myself (or at least try to).

By the way, my Avenador has the same issue. Good thing is that its trims are made of plastic and didn't warp - just unglued. But anyway it's unacceptable and  I, for one, will think twice prior to buy another model by FrontiArt although they're pieces of art to me.

#14 ONLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:45 AM

So the hood is somewhat flexible or bendable like plastics, which is bad. Now that makes me think twice about buying an open/close model from FA. But I think its because the model was sitting in the box for three years without air circulation or good ventilation. is it hot or humid where you live?

Edited by blieu118, 22 July 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#15 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

What you can do is get a hairdryer and press the hood down to the position you'd like it to be in. Direct the hot air at the hood for about 10 seconds and then hold it for a few more. I corrected a crooked plastic rear wing like that once and it worked perfectly. Resin changes shape easily so you have to avoid temperature extremes.
Wes

#16 ONLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:25 AM

To be honest, keeping your model inside a box is not a good idea because it can have moisture built up over time. People always think that keeping them in the box is best because it keeps the model away from dusts but when it gets hot out there, and your room is not well ventilated, heat and moisture can build up and therefore causing plastic or even diecast to have problems.

Edited by blieu118, 22 July 2016 - 08:26 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   jewrist

jewrist

• DX Community
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:28 PM

I’m sorry for the late reply: I’ve been encountering problems with entering the forum the whole week.

View Postblieu118, on 22 July 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

So the hood is somewhat flexible or bendable like plastics, which is bad. Now that makes me think twice about buying an open/close model from FA.
Actually, I think the material of open FrontiArt models is plastic.

View Postblieu118, on 22 July 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

But I think its because the model was sitting in the box for three years without air circulation or good ventilation. is it hot or humid where you live?

View Postblieu118, on 22 July 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

To be honest, keeping your model inside a box is not a good idea because it can have moisture built up over time. People always think that keeping them in the box is best because it keeps the model away from dusts but when it gets hot out there, and your room is not well ventilated, heat and moisture can build up and therefore causing plastic or even diecast to have problems.
I don’t think it happened due humidity. Yes, our climate is somewhat humid but no so much to cause such problems. And considering the same problem described in the previous thread and that my other models by different brands are OK I think that the trims warped due to weak glue.

And the hood problem is also common considering the video I got from Tracy.

View PostStratosWRC, on 22 July 2016 - 07:00 AM, said:

What you can do is get a hairdryer and press the hood down to the position you'd like it to be in. Direct the hot air at the hood for about 10 seconds and then hold it for a few more. I corrected a crooked plastic rear wing like that once and it worked perfectly. Resin changes shape easily so you have to avoid temperature extremes.
Right. That’s what Tracy’s video shows, thank you.

#18 ONLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

Trust me humidity has a lot to do with the deformity of a resin or plastic models. You expect it to be in the same condition after three years of sitting inside a sealed box without proper ventilation? You were lucky with other models does not mean humidity was not one of the causes. I learned from other collectors that their displayed collectibles actually last longer than the ones that were sealed and hidden inside their boxes for a long period of time because they were not allowed to breathe. And I don't see what is the point of buying a model especially the one that costs so much only to be stored away for years...just my opinion of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use