The tale of two 991 Targas by GT Spirit (Gulf Blue/Grey)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blanchimont

blanchimont

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 292 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

There was a bit of excitement when the gulf blue 991 Targa limited dealer edition by Spark surfaced on the internet a few weeks back. I thought it was just odd to see how Spark would create a whole new model just to be released as a 500 limited piece model exclusively for the Netherlands market almost unannounced. It was also strikingly similar to that of the GT Spirit version... Same GTS style bodywork and similar details.

So I was gearing up to see how the GT Spirit 991 Targa stood up to the Spark 991 Targa, and how Spark's take on 'Gulf Blue' would be different to GT Spirit's recent 2.7 RS' 'Gulf Blue'. It seemed Spark was going out in an all out war with GT Spirit like the good 'ol days when Autoart nearly made every new Kyosho model just to spite them (Countach, E46 M3, Miura... etc).

Posted Image

...or so I thought...

There is no such thing as a Spark 991 Targa. I do not know how this confusion began, but even CK-Modelcars listed the model as a Spark before correcting it as a GT Spirit model. If you look on Ebay today, there are models still being advertised as Spark.

Posted Image

The model is indeed a GT Spirit model. Enthusiasts will recognize the 'Z Models Limited' logo on the outer box from other GTS models, but the box does not say GTS or Spark.

Posted Image

Now that's cleared, I will also clarify that the Gulf Blue on the 2.7 RS is the exact same paint as the 991 Targa (cost cutting done right). I think there were some on this board who didn't like the shade of the Gulf Blue 2.7RS, but I personally love the color. I just wish they could've done the original Targa in this exact same shade, but having the two together still looks really nice as a pair to display.

I did break out the 908/03 by Autoart (one of my favorites), just to compare the different shades. The Autoart version is about two shades lighter and more 'pastel', but looking at photos of the real car (this was based on the actual 15 Limited Edition Targa exclusively for the Netherlands) GTS captures the color quite well. To be fair, the blue is a very hard color to photo, and I haven't seen one photo online that really captures the exact shade. Even my photos are too 'blue' the actual color has a bit more green or 'aqua' to it.

Posted Image

As to the model itself, I was surprised to see that this was a different 991 model. Compared to my green 991 Club Sport, the 991 Targa has been updated in both details and quality. The headlights are now the updated versions, the interior molds are new (carpeting!), body has crisper partition lines (looks like a completely new mold), and even the details like the front turn signals all have much better quality. GTS could've easily gone the cheap route and use all the data/molds from the previous 991 models, but it looks like they took the old 991 data and gave it a complete update. Details around the front headlights especially are very crisp.

Posted Image

I initially thought of selling the grey version since I bought they Gulf Blue, but the grey version looked so good that I decided to keep it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

...and now the fun part...

One of the things I love about the Limited Edition version are the tiny details that are different from the regular releases. I'm almost glad it was GT Spirit who did this model because it's was a great chance to see how much effort was put into this version.

Like the real car, there are a number of exterior differences. The obvious ones are the rear deck lid, 20 inch Fuchs wheels, tail pipes (the LE has chrome while the grey GTS version has black chrome) and rocker graphics. If you look closely, you will also notice the front headlamps are different (the grey version is completely blacked out while the LE has the lens part chrome), 'Targa' badge on the b-pillar is silver-on-silver, and the rear diffuser is painted gloss black, and the front intercoolers are painted silver (this one I don't like because it's quite pronounced when the real car is much more hidden...).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The interior obviously has the gorgeous houndstooth seat inserts like the 50th anniversary (why isn't anyone doing this model again?), the trim is different (silver vs. carbon in the grey model), painted pedals, and even lettering on the center console.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally, there was one thing I couldn't quite put my finger on... There was something about the 991 Targas that made it look better than other GTS models. I first thought it was the improvements in the mold quality, or even the color combinations... but it felt significantly different from my 2.7 RS.

Then it dawned on me. The 991 Targas looked more like a proper model because it was lacking the side windows. Almost every GTS model suffers from that awful thin, flat, cheap piece of side windows with thick 2-D silver frames that gives it a comical look. The Targas don't have them. The rear windshields look okay because of the way it's bent... so as a whole it looks like a different model.

Posted Image

Overall, a great pair of models and it looks like a new display theme is brewing....

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5,527 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:55 AM

Very nice to see the differences between both models, the interior looks great in the blue Targa and I really like the black Porsche lettering!

#3 OFFLINE   ChrisD

ChrisD

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 394 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Minichamps,OTTO, CMC...
  • Proud Citizen of:dk

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

It looks awesome in blue. Really like that color! :drool5:

#4 OFFLINE   Haromaster

Haromaster

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Vw, Porsche, Audi, BMW. 80s BMX , 80s alt music and industrial, of course diecast / resin models.
  • Number of Models:100+
  • Favorite Brands:Cmc, AUTOart, Amalgam, GT Spirit, Ottomobile
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Excellent review / comparison. I love the gulf blue targa and you have me rethinking about getting the grey one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use