DiecastXchange Forum banner

Project 1981 Porsche 936

14K views 88 replies 32 participants last post by  Ferrarif40fan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In 1981 Peter Schultz became the new CEO of Porsche. He had witnessed himself in america how dominant Porsche was in motorsport with the 935's a few years back, and therefore one of the first things he did was visit the motorsport departement. Here he invited all the engineers to sit with him and have a talk about racing and which projects were currently in the works. "What is our most important race and what are we running?" was his first question. The engineers noted that this was the 24 hours of Le Mans and that they were running a few 924 Turbo's to show how potent and reliable their new car was. "So what are our chances in winning that race?" Schultz asked. The engineers laughed and told him there was NO chance of winning. "Well from now on every race we will attend will be with the objective to win."

The engineers went straight to work and it became clear they already knew how to win this race. They took two Porsche 936'es out of the museum that they were running in 1978, and mounted 2.6 liter engines with water-cooled heads they initially developed for indianapolis (this programme came to a premature halt however). To make sure the gearboxes wouldn't break down they used the same gearboxes they were using in the 917 can-am programme (which prooved to be capable after running over 1000 horsepower). Shultz then received a phone call from a man called Jacky Ickx, he said that he was actually retired but if the rumours he was hearing about them running his old car again were true he would gladly drrive at Le Mans again. After that Derek Bell, Vern Schuppan, Jochen Mass and Hurley Haywood joined him.

Note that this was all 63 DAYS before the race. Bell and Ickx drove a flawless race and ended up on the top step securing the 5th overall win for Porsche. They completed a total of 354 laps finishing 14 laps ahead of number two, a Rondeau. That car chassis 936-003 is now left to rest at the museum.

As some of you may know Mizen is doing well in becoming the first person to complete the post war 1/18 Le Mans winners collection and to complete that a few non-exsistent models have to be created. After mailing back and forth a few times a plan was made and two TSM Porsche 936 models were send to me both to be converted to chassis 936-003, one for Mizen and one for me. We started with the 1983 Jagermeister car because this was the cheapest and it already had the correct wheels.

The models arrived and I immediately ripped them apart.. (strange thing to do with base models this expensive...)

Next I stripped of the paint and removed the side blades of the wing.

Then some more serious work began as I started modelling the air outtakes in the bonnet.

I also started to do some work on the noses:

That's it for now!

Cheers Luuk

See less See more
#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got some time to work on the 936 today so here's a little update!

Something the base model also didn't have were the huge airvents in the side pods:

It took some time to make the template correct, so once that was done I made a plastic version so that all 4 holes will hopefully be the same.

Here you can also see the modified and primed sills and the plastic template.

Now I just need to make the three remaining holes.... which will take forever since the diecast is really thick...

Will keep you guys posted! Thanks for watching and the support!

Cheers Luuk

#14 ·
looks great Luuk!

Tell me - do you get the same experience as a DIY-idiot like me making flat pack furniture on a bank holiday monday? I had a few sets of box shelves to build, the first is kind of your prototype, a voyage of discovery, and sort of satisfying... and then you look at the others and then realise you need to do it all again and the fun has gone. Or is there as much pleasure in Vent 4 as Vent 1? :)

#16 ·
Gorgeous! Saw that 917/30 at the Silverstone Classic a few weeks back - was just sitting there all alone at the Porsche corporate area with nobody looking at it! Monster car - my first Exoto and "proper" model also.

#23 ·
This is such a cool project!! I really admire you for taking this on
I just know it's going to look fantastic!

And the real Porsches!! OH MY!!!

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the comments guys! Some more progress on this one;

First of was finishing the rear clamshells which have to come out like this:

(Source: Ultimatecarpage.com)

I made a block that fitted inside the rear so i could fill up the holes without having to sand for ages... result:

Then I glued in some styrene

And the rear was finished

And with that rounded up I finished up the front:

(Source: Ultimatecarpage.com)

First up I glued in these bits

Before and after:

But most progress I still can't show you because the laser cutted parts for the wing will take some time to arrive..

Thanks for watching! Cheers Luuk

I also have a question to you guys;
I am struggling on finding pics from the chassis and engine so any input will be appreaciated a lot!

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
While I am awaiting the lasercut parts for the wing here some pictures of the CAD files (thank to dad for helping me with the drawing process!)

The wing blade itself:

And the mounts for the adjustable wing blade and supports (I later found out this picture wasn't of the final version):

Also done a lot of engine work but only have this one pic of one of the mock ups:

(Left is stock)

Will take some more pictures of the current state this week!

Cheers Luuk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.