Why I will never again buy a diecast car.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   texbird

texbird

• DX Community
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite Brands:cmc
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:10 PM

So I have recently been looking at diecast cars to get back into the hobby and buy a couple new cars (bugatti corsica & 300s). I already have a  couple of metal 1:18 cars i bought maybe 7-8 years ago. One is CMC and the other Exoto. They were quality models ($350 each back then?). They have been stored in a plexiglass car display case that is dust tight. Nothing else in the case. They have not been in the sun and my house is normal humidity and temperature with no condensation inside the case. I had literally never touched them with bare hands when they arrived and have not touched them at all since i placed them in the case. So I open the case to examine them closely. And to my shock i find that BOTH models have CORRODED! The Exoto has little green corrosion dust-like points on all the chrome top and bottom. This isnt dust - its corrosion eaten into the chrome. The CMC has white corrosion "dust" in the chrome on the underside of the chrome bumpers and the right rear red painted leaf springs on the chassis have turned to solid brown rust. Several pieces of chrome trim fell off when I picked up the car from decayed glue. What the HECK?!? I realize that others are going to say this didnt happen to them. But i am not willing to spend significant money on expensive "collectable" models that literally decay over a relatively short period of time. I am extremely disappointed at what looks to me like poor materials construction. Obviously there are others who are happy with the quality of their models and I wish them well and keep enjoying the hobby. And the manufacturers are doing good business so they dont care what the heck i say. But I have canceled my current purchase plans of diecast, will never again buy in the future, and am over and out... Good Luck guys...

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   seppuku

seppuku

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,884 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Eidolon, BBR, Tecnomodel, MR,

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:59 PM

Buy resin models....

You will not have this problem with corrosion...

I have owned resin models that were produced over 20 years ago....

....And they still look just like the day they were produced....flawless...

Buy a new, high end  diecast today and wait 20 years...see what happens...:)

"I have to admit I dont understand 1:43. 1:12 and larger I get, but most 1:43 I have seen (MOST) dont look like real cars. They are usually off in some way."

-lateapex

#3 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,907 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

damn, I've NEVER heard of this before

Edited by StratosWRC, 06 September 2016 - 07:07 PM.

Wes

#4 OFFLINE   Kevinvh6

Kevinvh6

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 419 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT Models, Autoart, Hot Wheels Elite, Minichamps, Kyosho, Maisto, Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of: mx

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:07 PM

Your story sounds very disappointing to all diecast collectors, i don't know what happen to your models, but i have bburagos from 20 years ago and they look the same as when they where stored in the box.

Now i will check all my current collection to see if someone has this problem

Edited by Kevinvh6, 06 September 2016 - 10:08 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   mky

mky

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Diecast
  • Number of Models:300+
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, MR, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:26 AM

Thats very strange, I've had models for over 7 years with no corrosion. Like the comment above suggested, Resin is a good option.

#6 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,842 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: no

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:35 AM

That sucks, sorry to hear about those gems ruined.

Considering you seem to like high end detailing I dont think resin is the way for you either.

#7 OFFLINE   Ozz

Ozz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Mustangs, cars, heavy metal, and heavy weights!
  • Favorite Brands:GMP

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:51 AM

That definitely sucks. I recently discovered one of my favorite models, a cheap but rare Ertl, is developing issues. It's a speedster, and the hard speedster cover (pearl white) has a slight discoloration and even some very, very fine hairline cracks. You can't really tell unless it's compared to the body of the car, but that does sadden me. If it ever got too bad, the model also has a fabric-covered soft top I could display it with, and still looks beautiful.

In the very end, if you want to think of it that way, all examples stand a good chance at ending up the same way.  So despite the imperfections the value would still be there, as there would be no better options available. I've seen this in the action figure/toy collecting world as well, mass-produced/cheap paint-on-plastic changes color horribly at times, and once they're all like that it becomes the new normal. Crazy, but...that's the way it is sometimes.

I can definitely feel for you spending so much on the cars and seeing that though. I don't collect anything that costs that much, thought I do have a bunch that have increased in value to that level and beyond. I'd hate to see that as well no matter what, but I'd at least try to think of the best case scenario. I still enjoy collecting and having them to look at and share, so if they're not perfect forever so be it. Stupid me, I've damaged a couple in my time anyway so I have re-glued and/or still-broken parts here and there throughout my collection of 100+. ::shrug::
My 1:1: Mustang showcar

Daily driver: '16 Cadillac ATS-V sedan

#8 OFFLINE   mkhabbaz

mkhabbaz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Interests:Engineering. Cobas. Gardening. Animal husbandry. The Bachelor/Bachelorette.
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:44 AM

You can put anti-moisture crystals to prevent that stuff. Like the ones in shoe boxes...

Edited by mkhabbaz, 12 September 2016 - 04:42 PM.

I'll take that one and that one and that one!

Take a look at my Muscle Cars! Vroom Screech Beep!
http://www.diecastxc...nged-diecaster/

#9 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

I wonder if this is possibly some form of chemical reaction - possibly between the metal and the paint. I always thought that 'die-cast' was zamak, which is an alloy. Copper is often used as part of the brew, and guess what? It turns green with age and exposure to salty air particles. Polyurethane resin is not without it's age related problems either. Despite this, I also have an ancient bBurago 1/18th scale Mercedes 300SL, and an unbuilt 1/43rd scale resin kit and neither shows any major problems. The 300SL could do with a good polishing out though, and this has been an issue since day one......

#10 OFFLINE   wrx_triggerhappy

wrx_triggerhappy

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4,876 posts
  • Number of Models:Lost count
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, ERTL, SC, Greenlight

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:43 AM

So tex....that little green corrosion is because they are sitting in trapped humidity. You have them in a case.....doesn't breathe. So when its hot in the house or humid it will collect. Basically you created your own issue. A display case or curio allows breathing because of the door....the minus is the occasional dust. Sorry but some single cases are not good to use on models. The paints and metals will react to humidity. Trapped or not. I keep mine in the basement where I run a dehumidifier 24/7. Its the coolest non humid place in the house. Plus the electrical company loves my business.....

Sorry to hear about the issues but they are models, and even metal does deteriorate after time. Best of luck in what you choose to do.

Posted Image

Sam

Recent Additions:
Not much since the wife controls me and the money and the 93 octane isn't cheap!

my collection

#11 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: pk

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

Sam you raise a very good argument for letting models "breathe". However I wonder if a sealed case has a good amount of silica gel desiccant that absorbs (nearly all) the moisture trapped inside, will that still cause the model to deteriorate?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Vitzrsx

Vitzrsx

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 290 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, Welly, HPI, IG

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

I have a somewhat similar issue with my TSM Mclaren F1 Xp1. The struct for the door has rust on it and when I open it for the very first time it had rust flaking off. I immediately grabbed WD40 and just lubed it.

I am still displeased with that incident 😰
Check out my collection:
http://www.diecastxc...sv-dec-24-2015/

#13 OFFLINE   wrx_triggerhappy

wrx_triggerhappy

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:29 PM

View PostUzair, on 07 September 2016 - 01:55 PM, said:

Sam you raise a very good argument for letting models "breathe". However I wonder if a sealed case has a good amount of silica gel desiccant that absorbs (nearly all) the moisture trapped inside, will that still cause the model to deteriorate?

Quite possibly Uzair you might be right. Chemicals are what they are chemicals. You'd be better to use possibly rice or somethings in a mesh bag to steal moisture? Not sure. Diecast, hell even metal toys are going to be exposed to the elements no matter how you look at it. The AUTOart cases do not seal tight but there are some beautiful cases that honestly seal the car inside. It only takes a small fluctuation in any temp for humidity to occur.

The more shade you can store models in the better, the cooler, the better in my view. Only makes sense as you'd want your car to not be in direct sunlight right when you can keep it in the shade? But either way, I have seen plenty of rash occur on my older models. Maybe its just going to happen with age.

Posted Image

Sam

Recent Additions:
Not much since the wife controls me and the money and the 93 octane isn't cheap!

my collection

#14 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,832 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:33 AM

I'm very sorry to read of this, I have seen paint rash & zinc pest a few times and it's not nice!

Sorry to ask, do you happen to have any pictures of the damage / corrosion ? Are they completely ruined ?

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#15 OFFLINE   mky

mky

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:49 PM

View Postwrx_triggerhappy, on 07 September 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

So tex....that little green corrosion is because they are sitting in trapped humidity. You have them in a case.....doesn't breathe. So when its hot in the house or humid it will collect. Basically you created your own issue. A display case or curio allows breathing because of the door....the minus is the occasional dust. Sorry but some single cases are not good to use on models. The paints and metals will react to humidity. Trapped or not. I keep mine in the basement where I run a dehumidifier 24/7. Its the coolest non humid place in the house. Plus the electrical company loves my business.....

Sorry to hear about the issues but they are models, and even metal does deteriorate after time. Best of luck in what you choose to do.

Thats interesting, might look into getting a dehumidifier. I would also like to see what the corrosion looks like if possible. Though my models are displayed in a very cool room, cool explain why no paint deformation as of yet. Who thought all this would need to be considered when collecting models. They need to spray something on the models to counteract this?

#16 OFFLINE   the1

the1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 621 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: ro

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

Can anyone please recommend a good dehumidifier? Maybe available on ebay too. Thx.
'Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.'
Steve McQueen

#17 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,044 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

^ @the1 - I think the main thing is to have ventilation of some kind.... :twocents:   I have 200 models stored in an attic for several years, in boxes within boxes, and apart from the Kyosho 'usual suspects' the last time I looked (about 8 monts ago) there were no casualties..

Incidentlay, 'texbird' (the perp of this thread) joined to make this thread, then logged off, and has not been seen since.. :dunno:   Methinks he may be trolling on behalf of the 'Resin is the future' marketing board!!!  :rolleyes: :giggle:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   the1

the1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 621 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: ro

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:14 PM

There is probably a  RESIN SUPREMACY ASSOCIATION already. On a serious note, thank you for the insight regarding venting. I'd still be grateful for a good dehumidifier advice too - I planned to use one since some time now but always postpone it.
'Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.'
Steve McQueen

#19 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,907 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:32 PM

View Postmairandeddy, on 10 September 2016 - 04:06 PM, said:

Incidentlay, 'texbird' (the perp of this thread) joined to make this thread, then logged off, and has not been seen since.. :dunno:   Methinks he may be trolling on behalf of the 'Resin is the future' marketing board!!!  :rolleyes: :giggle:

Lol thats what I thought too. Sounds far fetched too. I've never heard of rust or green stuff.
Wes

#20 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

And if the plastic cases are similar to mine, small holes could be drilled into the sides of the base and into the bottom of the area under the model - allowing for fresh air. Ideally the holes would be in the top of the clear cover, since hot air rises......

Edited by slartibartfast229, 11 September 2016 - 10:27 AM.

#21 OFFLINE   wrx_triggerhappy

wrx_triggerhappy

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

Quite right slartibartfast229.

Regarding dehumidifiers, there are plenty on the market. I use an LG 5qt. - the idea is that you set it to say 45% humidity and it pulls the moisture out of the air. The tank will fill, you empty. Your electric bill will increase FYI. In basements it makes sense. Tons of moisture. In attics, proper insulation, attic fans will reduce humidity. In common rooms - look at what is around - could you get protective UV laminate to reduce the temps?

Anyways dehumidifiers can range from $75 for okay to $300. I think I paid $150 for mine at the time but there are better ones out there. Just shop around if you feel its needed.

Posted Image

Sam

Recent Additions:

my collection

#22 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,818 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:55 PM

Its a common issue with diecast - paint rash caused by humidity.

As for humidifier, not everyone has them running 24/7, or have AC installed to reduce the heat in the house during summer, which requires a lot of electricity. In a perfect world, we would have vacuum sealed display cases...

Edited by blieu118, 11 September 2016 - 11:07 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:1/18 Le Mans Winners|Motorsport|Sim Racing|Family
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Spark, BBR

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:00 AM

£2.75 spent on amazon on a packet of silicon gel crystals after reading this.  Sticking a small packet hidden behind each model and swapping once in a while seems sensible.....!
Aiming to collect all post-war Le Mans winners in scale 1:18. Even the gaps!

Follow progress in this inventory: https://www.dropbox....ry v2.xlsx?dl=0

#24 OFFLINE   mky

mky

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

View PostMizen, on 12 September 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

£2.75 spent on amazon on a packet of silicon gel crystals after reading this.  Sticking a small packet hidden behind each model and swapping once in a while seems sensible.....!

Very smart, didn't think of that. I think i'll do the same with mine.

#25 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:59 PM

View Postmairandeddy, on 10 September 2016 - 04:06 PM, said:

^ @the1 - I think the main thing is to have ventilation of some kind.... :twocents:   I have 200 models stored in an attic for several years, in boxes within boxes, and apart from the Kyosho 'usual suspects' the last time I looked (about 8 monts ago) there were no casualties..

I do find the story to be bit far fetched. The original poster would made a more convincing story if he said that his models crumble and turn into zamak dust rather than claiming his models look like a Titanic find. As far as I know only copper turns green when corroded and CMC/Exoto models aren't made out of copper? In any case there is something we can all learn from this thread and that is moisture buildup in enclosed case can cause damages to our beloved diecast models. I've been putting silica gels around my models for years. I normally cut open the gel sachet and empty the content into tea light candle glass holder and over time i can see the gels' colour changes as they absorb moisture in the air.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use