Jump to content


Project - Honda Civic PRO FWD


  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gmt

Gmt

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Performance and Drag Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Autoart, Ertl and Shelby Collectibles
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:01 PM

Project - Honda Civic PRO FWD


Hi guys,

This is my current project I’m working on, a 2009 Honda Civic based on PRO FWD cars.

PRO FWD is a drag racing class of IDRC (International Drag Racing Circuit), a north american organization leader in the import and high-tech performance event arena.

This class has some particularities, such as:

  • Only import or domestic turbocharged front wheel drive unibody racecars are allowed;
  • No weight restriction;
  • Inline-4 or V6 engines transverse-mounted allowed;
  • Stock chassis;
  • Carbon- or kevlar-fiber body panel replacements are allowed;
  • Air-to-air or air-to-liquid intercooler system may be used;
  • Wheelie bars prohibited;
  • 72.0mm Max turbo size in all inline-4-cylinder engines.

Knowing that, these are some references I’m using.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image


Therefore, for this project I bought a Paudi Models Civic.

Although some assembly mistakes, it is a well done model.

Unfortunately, the cost charged here in Brazil makes it not worth buying.


Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image


To make the correct scale I choosed to use the GMP 1320 Kings wheels set.

I really liked the tires but wheels should have some detail work on them.


Posted Image

Posted Image


The first step was the complete disassembly to study what modifications I would have to do.


Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image


In the middle of the procces I broke the right headlight. This piece is glued and a little hard to take off. :duh: :bawling:


Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image


To make a full detailed model, some changes/improvements are necessary.
So, the basic plan is:


  • Complete engine bay modification;
  • Additional hose joints and metallic braid/twisted lines;
  • Scratch build K20 engine and manual transmission;
  • New ”JOJO style” front end;
  • Remove mirrors;
  • Remove parking sensors;
  • Add roll cage;
  • Scratch build aluminium “Kirkey style” seat;
  • Add realistic harness belt;
  • Add other many small details.

Some of these modifications are already in progress, but to not make this post so long I’ll put the continuation soon.

Thank you all!

Edited by Gmt, 07 November 2016 - 03:38 AM.


Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

  • DieCastXChange.com



#2 OFFLINE   sennagts

sennagts

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 682 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Soccer, Cars and music
  • Favorite Brands:Ixo, Spark, BBR and Tecnomodel
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:01 AM

Very well done so far man! I can't wait to see more!

How is it for you sourcing models in Brazil?

#3 OFFLINE   Gmt

Gmt

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Performance and Drag Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Autoart, Ertl and Shelby Collectibles
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

View Postsennagts, on 07 November 2016 - 05:01 AM, said:

Very well done so far man! I can't wait to see more!

How is it for you sourcing models in Brazil?


Thanks man!

For me, sourcing models here is quite frustrating.

I have 2 or 3 dealers, but the prices has become exorbitant.

The worst scenario is about the detail parts, which no one sells. :wtff:

On this case, my best friend is Ebay, despite import taxes.

News coming soon!

#4 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 717 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wiltshire
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

Interesting build! I remember one of the NFS games had FWD drag cars, I had no idea they were a real thing in 1:1. Looking forward to seeing how your build develops!

Posted Image

*** Collection thread updated 6th Feb (Sun Star Peugeot 207 S2000) ***


#5 OFFLINE   Gmt

Gmt

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Performance and Drag Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Autoart, Ertl and Shelby Collectibles
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:37 PM

View Postspikyone, on 07 November 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

Interesting build! I remember one of the NFS games had FWD drag cars, I had no idea they were a real thing in 1:1. Looking forward to seeing how your build develops!

Wow! NFS! I spent all my teenage years playing it hahaha

Here in Brazil FWD drag cars are quite common...

#6 OFFLINE   sennagts

sennagts

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 682 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Soccer, Cars and music
  • Favorite Brands:Ixo, Spark, BBR and Tecnomodel
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:03 PM

Oh man, I know all about the taxes. No luxuries allowed!!!

But it's good to see it doesn't stop you doing what you love!

Maybe you need a few trips to Paraguay.

#7 OFFLINE   Gmt

Gmt

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Performance and Drag Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Autoart, Ertl and Shelby Collectibles
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:37 PM

View Postsennagts, on 07 November 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

Oh man, I know all about the taxes. No luxuries allowed!!!

But it's good to see it doesn't stop you doing what you love!

Maybe you need a few trips to Paraguay.

This is true! I never traveled to Paraguay, but some people are saying that products there are not so cheap anymore.

I don't know the models... Where dou you get yours?

#8 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 717 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wiltshire
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:57 AM

View PostGmt, on 07 November 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

View Postspikyone, on 07 November 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

Interesting build! I remember one of the NFS games had FWD drag cars, I had no idea they were a real thing in 1:1. Looking forward to seeing how your build develops!

Wow! NFS! I spent all my teenage years playing it hahaha

Here in Brazil FWD drag cars are quite common...

:occasion14:
I spent far too long playing NFS pretty much every game since Underground!  Except the most recent one as I can't be bothered upgrading from my PS3...

Anyway, it turns out it was a Chevy Cobalt, in NFS Pro Street... https://youtu.be/vRLVhKznC_s

...and here's a real one (picture from the web):
Posted Image

Posted Image

*** Collection thread updated 6th Feb (Sun Star Peugeot 207 S2000) ***


#9 OFFLINE   Gmt

Gmt

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Performance and Drag Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Autoart, Ertl and Shelby Collectibles
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:04 AM

Good video! Always nice to remember that time haha

By the way, beautiful Cobalt! It's a shame we don't have it in Brazil.

Our Cobalt is a completely different car...

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Gmt

Gmt

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Performance and Drag Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Autoart, Ertl and Shelby Collectibles
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:33 AM

Hi everybody,

Here is the progress that I’ve done so far...

The first thing I did was scrape the license plate holder and the corners of the bumper.


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


To give more space to the tire set, a portion of the fenders was cut.


Posted Image


Posted Image


The next (big) step was the front end.

No doubt this is one of the most difficult parts in this building.

Most of PRO FWD cars uses carbon-fiber or fiberglass parts on this parts, but I still don’t know which end style will make.

Another undefined detail is the intercooler. Cars in this class using ar-to-air system can make a cut in the bumper, but must maintain the shape of the stock opening – all body kits must has full street-legal appearence. So, if I choose that type, a lot of cut work will be necessary.

In contrast, air-to-liquid system doesn’t need such effort and provides a more streamlined final look.

After these words, some reference pictures.


Air-to-air System


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Air-to-liquid System


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


And know, the current project...

All the work has been made using epoxy and Tamiya basic putty, in a total of 5/6 layers.


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Still need a lot of work to make a proper look, butI think I’m in the right way.

:occasion14:

#11 OFFLINE   Yordy

Yordy

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Favorite Brands:As long as it is Japanese......
  • Proud Citizen of:nl

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:40 AM

Cool!!!

#12 OFFLINE   sennagts

sennagts

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 682 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Soccer, Cars and music
  • Favorite Brands:Ixo, Spark, BBR and Tecnomodel
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

View PostGmt, on 07 November 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

View Postsennagts, on 07 November 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

Oh man, I know all about the taxes. No luxuries allowed!!!

But it's good to see it doesn't stop you doing what you love!

Maybe you need a few trips to Paraguay.

This is true! I never traveled to Paraguay, but some people are saying that products there are not so cheap anymore.

I don't know the models... Where dou you get yours?

I'm lucky man, I live in Australia. But I know of the difficulties in getting things like model cars in Brazil!

Your work is amazing so far!!! It's good you can get all of the resources together.

#13 OFFLINE   fyrewhirl

fyrewhirl

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 403 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bay Area, California
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto, Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:59 PM

Wow! That putty work looks fantastically smooth, you're good!
I've never seen a FWD drag car build on DX before, you might be one of the first :nice:

#14 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

    Administrator

  • DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,596 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

Nice job so far, I've not seen this sort of thing done to Honda Civics before, they look crazy! :dizzy:  I'll keep checking back on this, great work so far :smile:

Posted Image



Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE


#15 OFFLINE   Gmt

Gmt

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Performance and Drag Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Autoart, Ertl and Shelby Collectibles
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostYordy, on 08 November 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

Cool!!!

Thanks!


View Postsennagts, on 08 November 2016 - 08:11 PM, said:

View PostGmt, on 07 November 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

View Postsennagts, on 07 November 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

Oh man, I know all about the taxes. No luxuries allowed!!!

But it's good to see it doesn't stop you doing what you love!

Maybe you need a few trips to Paraguay.

This is true! I never traveled to Paraguay, but some people are saying that products there are not so cheap anymore.

I don't know the models... Where dou you get yours?

I'm lucky man, I live in Australia. But I know of the difficulties in getting things like model cars in Brazil!

Your work is amazing so far!!! It's good you can get all of the resources together.

Nice man!

Australia is on my list of places to go :yahoo:


View Postfyrewhirl, on 08 November 2016 - 11:59 PM, said:

Wow! That putty work looks fantastically smooth, you're good!
I've never seen a FWD drag car build on DX before, you might be one of the first :nice:

Thanks man!

One of things that made me start this project was precisely the desire to do something new :smile:


View PostCraig, on 09 November 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

Nice job so far, I've not seen this sort of thing done to Honda Civics before, they look crazy! :dizzy:  I'll keep checking back on this, great work so far :smile:

Thanks Craig!

This type of Civic is really uncommon to see on drag racing.

By the way, this was my first inspiration to do such a thing:

Posted Image

:occasion14:

#16 OFFLINE   Gmt

Gmt

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Performance and Drag Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Autoart, Ertl and Shelby Collectibles
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:09 PM

Hi guys,

Some progress here.

I used more 8 layers of putty and epoxy to make the result as you are seeing on photos.

The front end is almost 80% done.

Still more work on the bottom of the fenders and another layer of primer to see what is wrong.


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


:occasion14:

#17 OFFLINE   henrymca

henrymca

    Junior Member

  • DX Community
  • 7 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Bburango
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:13 AM

amazing work on the body, cant wait to see more

#18 OFFLINE   sennagts

sennagts

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 682 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Soccer, Cars and music
  • Favorite Brands:Ixo, Spark, BBR and Tecnomodel
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:27 PM

It keeps getting better and better!!

Muito bom!


Let's see some of the other projects I can see in the background!

#19 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

    Senior Member

  • DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,886 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:09 AM

This is really heavy work. I admire your sculpting skills
Wes

#20 OFFLINE   Gmt

Gmt

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Performance and Drag Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Autoart, Ertl and Shelby Collectibles
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:46 AM

View Posthenrymca, on 11 November 2016 - 07:13 AM, said:

amazing work on the body, cant wait to see more


Thanks man! On this week I'll show some news...


View Postsennagts, on 11 November 2016 - 09:27 PM, said:

It keeps getting better and better!!

Muito bom!


Let's see some of the other projects I can see in the background!


Obrigado! Haha

The other projects that appeared are stopped now, but when I finish the Civic I'll show them :yahoo:


View PostStratosWRC, on 12 November 2016 - 01:09 AM, said:

This is really heavy work. I admire your sculpting skills


Thanks! It still have many mistakes but I'm trying to make it work :occasion14:

Edited by Gmt, 13 November 2016 - 02:17 PM.


#21 OFFLINE   Gmt

Gmt

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Performance and Drag Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Autoart, Ertl and Shelby Collectibles
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

Hi guys,


Some detail parts arrived this week. :yahoo: :yahoo:


Posted Image


Couple days ago I sprayed another coat of primer.

As you can see below, there are still a few mistakes on the fenders. The left one needs some work on its arch to make it more rounded, while the right has some waves on the surface.


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


The underbody will need attencion too.

Some parts will be shown on the completed model, but I’ll finish the front end first to
work hard there.


Posted Image


I hope until the end of this week I have more consistent progress to show you.

Until them, here is some mockup pictures with front wheel.


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


:occasion14:

#22 OFFLINE   Supra Mkiv

Supra Mkiv

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 768 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West of Germany
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho AutoArt
  • Proud Citizen of:de

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:26 AM

Your pics are loading for ages , you should probably resize them. Always a pita to take a look in here.
Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   Gmt

Gmt

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Performance and Drag Cars
  • Favorite Brands:Gmp, Autoart, Ertl and Shelby Collectibles
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:31 PM

View PostSupra Mkiv, on 15 November 2016 - 11:26 AM, said:

Your pics are loading for ages , you should probably resize them. Always a pita to take a look in here.


Hi man,

You're the first one who's having trouble seeing them... :dunno:

It' is true that I posted a lot of pictures in this topic, but probably the speed of your internet may not help.

On next posts I'll try to put lowest resolution pictures.

Thanks for the feedback :occasion14:

#24 OFFLINE   sennagts

sennagts

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 682 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Soccer, Cars and music
  • Favorite Brands:Ixo, Spark, BBR and Tecnomodel
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:43 AM

I can't wait for you to add the small details!

#25 OFFLINE   tmnt_ppn

tmnt_ppn

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 787 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Jakarta, Indonesia
  • Number of Models:A little over 70 (as of Feb 2017)
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Hot Wheels Elite (Ferrari lineup)
  • Proud Citizen of:id

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostGmt, on 15 November 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

View PostSupra Mkiv, on 15 November 2016 - 11:26 AM, said:

Your pics are loading for ages , you should probably resize them. Always a pita to take a look in here.


Hi man,

You're the first one who's having trouble seeing them... :dunno:

It' is true that I posted a lot of pictures in this topic, but probably the speed of your internet may not help.

On next posts I'll try to put lowest resolution pictures.

Thanks for the feedback :occasion14:
He's not the only one.  :rolleyes:
But to clarify, it's not a trouble as if the images doesn't load. It does. It is just take quite some time to load them as the resolution is very hi-res (4000x3000). I suggest 1/3 of the pixel size should be large enough for anyone want to see any details needed, but small enough to load fast. :twocents:
~ Alvin

See all my collection here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users





©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use