What makes you feel good about this hobby?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you really get excited about in this hobby?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 7,991 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:23 AM

My feel good company is Norev. They make diecast models that 85% of the time opens, has decent levels of detail of cars that Otto usually make sealed for around the same prices. I also like getting Dealer Edition Models from China as they are often even cheaper, but have higher levels of detail than most current AUTOart, PMA & diecast Kyosho models. Greenlight as well, when the QC is right.

Edited by D N'D-Land, 29 November 2016 - 05:26 AM.

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 ONLINE   Red_Baron

Red_Baron

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,148 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, AUTOart, Maisto, HWE, Welly
  • Proud Citizen of:my

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:43 AM

Full opening & detailed diecast models.

The ability to see, admire and appreciate the 1:1 cars you love in the palm of your hands with functional parts as the real thing. Like for me, its cars that are made by Ferrari. Even I cant own the real thing, just having the exact replica of the car is already special to me.
If you see me bombing loads of pics on a thread, DO NOT QUOTE THE POST

Posted Image Posted Image
<< RUN!

#3 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,044 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:22 AM

The thrill of the chase for a grail, it never gets old! I like it even more so when I score a grail for less money than I was expecting.

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#4 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of:ie

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:50 AM

Grabbing a pair of competition spec Kyosho Ferrari 250 GTO models for €90 each including postage (Car Model Italy). Getting a Kyosho Ferrari Daytona competition for €85 including postage from e-bay. Old school die-cast at reasonable prices - and almost impossible to match to-day for the cost/quality. If there are any shortcomings on any of these models, I can live with them.....

#5 OFFLINE   Akrohan Han

Akrohan Han

• DX Community
  • 13 posts
  • Favorite Brands:kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:in

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

I love everything, the endless search for a grail,finding it and fixing a deal with the seller.The long wait and tracking the package on ultra slow internet connection ( because I works in a desert).Making sure it is delivered to my home.I enjoys gazing through the photos they sent me.And finally the unpacking and holding it in my hand with a throbbing heart.
I enjoys sending friendly mails to my sellers and online shops after receiving my package; not for taking advantage but to remind that honest and patient buyers still exists.
And finally I enjoys being a part of this forum. :)

#6 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,920 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:48 AM

At first it was the array of different materials found in higher quality models like cmc exoto, with their copper, aluminium, leather. But now it's the realization that even if a model is lacking those, I can upgrade it and bring it to my desired level of quality.
Wes

#7 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5,989 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:25 AM

1st : I think its having a replica of my favorite cars, it can be a nice Bburago signature to a great CMC, if it looks like the real car and I dont pay too much, Im pleased...
2nd : share my models here!
:occasion14:

#8 OFFLINE   mohawk1975

mohawk1975

• DX Community
  • 65 posts
  • Number of Models:28
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart and Kyosho

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

1. being able to own miniature reproductions of vehicles that I would be lucky to see let alone ever own in 1:1 scale.
2. how nice they look on the shelf.

#9 OFFLINE   Ozz

Ozz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Mustangs, cars, heavy metal, and heavy weights!
  • Favorite Brands:GMP

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

I love "the hunt" for a tough to find item. The thoughts and memories the cars I collect bring. Spending time w/friends going to shows looking for treasures. Selling when particular items rise in value, and using the proceeds to keep funding the hobby (though I hate when I can never get the same item back at a better price!).
My 1:1: Mustang showcar

Daily driver: '16 Cadillac ATS-V sedan

#10 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:05 PM

i think finding a grail, especially if it helps to complete a collection, or just makes a great pairing with another car you already have.

finding an old skool diecast pop up on ebay that's usually nigh on impossible to find and bagging it.

finding out about a new release and being really excited about it (I think Laudroracing is making a GTV6), then praying it isn't cancelled, lol

I agree about Norev. Got a lot of love for it, and its interesting and quirky subjects, usually at a fair price for what's often a decent diecast.

#11 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of:pk

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

It's all about high-quality (read: metal) opening diecast for me! That said, I also recognize what a lot of you are saying here about the thrill of the hunt. I think that's just the "shopping high" and dopamine being triggered. Gah - our ancestors used to get the hunter's thrill from real hunting with life-or-death survival consequences, and we at worst have to complain about price gouging :giggle:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

Wow, I really really loved reading all of your comments! :eusa_clap: :yahoo:  It's such a wonderful hobby(if on,y all of the prices would go back to 2005 prices..as we were paying around 200 euros for CMCs then and that was considered expensive..where as AUTOarts were 50-65 Euros & Norevs were 30 euros.. :yahoo: It's pretty much  an agreement with everything said so far.. I guess, these days of ever higher prices, I love to come across high detail die-castings that look like the real vehicle, but still have a sane price range. Then I love the fact that i can buy Norev's iconic release for lower prices, but higher detail than base Wellys & Maistos. :eusa_clap:  I also love that CAD is getting models true to appearance of the 1/1 these days.. :drool5:  We are so fortunate to be living in times where one could go out & buy a Decent Bburgao/Maisto & yet still purchase uber highend models like CMC if one likes that. :occasion14:

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostCraig, on 29 November 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

The thrill of the chase for a grail, it never gets old! I like it even more so when I score a grail for less money than I was expecting.
Thanks for re-directing me here Craig! :eusa_clap: Seems like more traction than the other place were I posted earlier.. that said, what can we post in "What's on your mind?" I wasn't clear on that my friend.
I also love finding a grail at a great price :yahoo: .. these days, even if one is of means, it makes more sense to WAIT and look before pressing "Buy"!..that could get costly! :twocents:

#14 OFFLINE   seppuku

seppuku

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,884 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Eidolon, BBR, Tecnomodel, MR,

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

Chicks dig it....:)

"I have to admit I dont understand 1:43. 1:12 and larger I get, but most 1:43 I have seen (MOST) dont look like real cars. They are usually off in some way."

-lateapex

#15 ONLINE   MSZ

MSZ

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart/OttOmobile/GT Spirit/Spark

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

View Postseppuku, on 29 November 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

Chicks dig it....:)

No kidding, this is really the only hobby that my wife can somewhat tolerate.

#16 OFFLINE   Rinceman

Rinceman

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:56 PM

A couple things for me.
  • The thrill of buying something, definitely. Which is often followed by the buyer's remorse, followed by the excitement of delivery, and finally knowing you made the right call.
  • Modding. Making scale versions of cars exactly how I would spec them out in 1:1. Creating something in 1:18 that doesn't exist yet (RWB/Liberty Walk way back when). And the endless search for parts, online or in toy departments off of garbage RC cars.
  • Display Presence. Being able to pull out and examine the cars that I love at any time. The opportunity to see McLaren F1s and Zondas, even small ones, everyday is something I will never get tired of.
  • The reactions from visitors. Most of the time it's subtle. But as shallow as it may seem. It's awesome to have the commitment recognized.

#17 OFFLINE   CreepyVanMan

CreepyVanMan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,800 posts
  • Interests:Racing (all kinds) and Snowboarding
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart, TSM, Spark

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:42 PM

Pretty cool topic!

I love the details in the models and the wet paint. I love coming home from work and just standing in front of my cabinets staring at my models and trying to find something new about them. I also love the history behind the cars, especially the old Formula 1, LeMans, Group C cars etc..then telling my friends about it and such. Cool topic and seeing what everyone else says.
"I used to play sports. Then I realized you can buy trophies. Now I am good at everything." -Demetri Martin

#18 ONLINE   winstoncds

winstoncds

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,912 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Ebbro IXO
  • Proud Citizen of:in

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:02 AM

I made a lot of great friends through this hobby and getting to know someone as crazy or crazier is a bonus anyday.
I know Kung-fu
Posted Image
and 50 other such dangerous words.

#19 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, GT Spirit

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:09 AM

This is a really interesting topic - thanks for starting it Dave! For me it's the following:
  • Finding a model that is really good bang for your buck - the Bburago Signature Ferrari 488GTB springs to mind.
  • Waiting for my models to arrive and then opening them up and just taking in all the details for the first time.
  • Being able to look at them on display (shout out to my very tolerant wife for that).
  • Standing there with my 3 year old son as he tries to spot my latest add and we take it out and look at it together. We bought him a fair few 1:18 models from Costco and I gave him some of my old crappy ones to play with as treats while we toilet trained him and he runs downstairs to get his own and place them alongside mine to compare details. It's also the reason why his first word was "car", much to my delight and my wife's dismay :giggle:.
  • Taking photos and writing reviews to share on forums like this and Facebook groups, so other people can see models they maybe may not have bought otherwise.
  • Meeting new people and making some friends - it's always nice to feel like you belong in places like these.
Just my :twocents:

Edited by mcaf123, 30 November 2016 - 07:11 AM.

Please check out my collection thread HERE

#20 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,044 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostD N, on 29 November 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostCraig, on 29 November 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

Thanks for re-directing me here Craig! :eusa_clap: Seems like more traction than the other place were I posted earlier.. that said, what can we post in "What's on your mind?" I wasn't clear on that my friend.
I also love finding a grail at a great price :yahoo: .. these days, even if one is of means, it makes more sense to WAIT and look before pressing "Buy"!..that could get costly! :twocents:
Hi David, this sort of question deserved it's own thread as there will be a lot of discussion & quoting going on, plus we can see everything whenever we look through the thread. SU's are just for basic thoughts / questions, http://www.diecastxc...read-thank-you/
Cheers :smile:

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#21 OFFLINE   Ozz

Ozz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Mustangs, cars, heavy metal, and heavy weights!
  • Favorite Brands:GMP

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostRinceman, on 29 November 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

* Display Presence. Being able to pull out and examine the cars that I love at any time. The opportunity to see McLaren F1s and Zondas, even small ones, everyday is something I will never get tired of.

* The reactions from visitors. Most of the time it's subtle. But as shallow as it may seem. It's awesome to have the commitment recognized.

It's always great when a friend mentions they collect model cars, then you show 'em your warehouse :giggle:
My 1:1: Mustang showcar

Daily driver: '16 Cadillac ATS-V sedan

#22 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:40 PM

• Display Presence. Being able to pull out and examine the cars that I love at any time. The opportunity to see McLaren F1s and Zondas, even small ones, everyday is something I will never get tired of

that's a good point! Sometimes, I might see a 1:1 of one of my 1:18ths and spot a detail I hadn't noticed before, then go home and check the detail on the 1:18th to see it's been there all the time. Also, let's say you've got a MK1 and MK2 of a car, getting the MK3 to compare the progress is always of interest. Or, with diecasts, you can compare rival cars' engine, suspension set up, etc.

There's also variety too, in terms of scale options and automotive genres - cars, bikes, trucks, vans, track cars, rally cars, new cars, old cars, TV/Film cars, fast cars, slow cars, hearses, figurines - etc. There can't be that many hobbies that has such diversity of produce, and such a regular slew of new goodies to tempt us.

last - and don't laugh yet at this - Value For Money. Let me explain. I paid £75 in 2008 for a DE Kyosho BMW M3 in white. I've owned it now for eight years, which means it's cost me £9 per year; that's not even a £1 a month for a really nice piece of kit. I've had many years of pleasure from it already, and I bet I'll get years more joy from it still. We can apply that logic (if you can call it that!) even to those new models that we think are too expensive to buy today - buy it, keep it long term, and the pleasure remains long after the cost has been forgotten/absorbed.

Edited by Scuddy, 30 November 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   ///M meister

///M meister

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Interests:Cars, BMW, F1, New England Patriots, TV, Pop! Vinyls, Star Wars.
  • Number of Models:Not enough
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit, OttOmobile, HWE, Welly

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:43 PM

For me it's a few things, like Wayne Carini on Chasing classic cars always says "It's all about the chase" I love hunting down the rarer, older models that I have been wanting for a while.

Another factor is when I got in to the world of resin at the end of last year, it opened up an entirely new version of this hobby for me. It also kinda gave me a new enthusiasm for this hobby and the thing I really love about OttOmobile and GT spirit is when, at the beginning of every other month, the next batch of model go on to the website and you get to see what they are

And finally the 3rd factor is this place, I always felt like I was on my own when it came to 1:18s as non of my friends at school, college etc were into them, but when I joined DX in 2014 I immediately knew I was amongst fellow collectors.

TOM

My 1:18 road car collection:
http://www.diecastxc...ers-collection/

#24 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:53 PM

A couple things for me.
  • The thrill of buying something, definitely. Which is often followed by the buyer's remorse, followed by the excitement of delivery, and finally knowing you made the right call.
  • Modding. Making scale versions of cars exactly how I would spec them out in 1:1. Creating something in 1:18 that doesn't exist yet (RWB/Liberty Walk way back when). And the endless search for parts, online or in toy departments off of garbage RC cars.
  • Display Presence. Being able to pull out and examine the cars that I love at any time. The opportunity to see McLaren F1s and Zondas, even small ones, everyday is something I will never get tired of.
  • The reactions from visitors. Most of the time it's subtle. But as shallow as it may seem. It's awesome to have the commitment recognized.
Umm, all of that is cool!..BUT, DAAAANG!! That Rendering is HOT!!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:  I love your new signature!!! :eusa_clap:  Okay, back to diecast!!..but I had to mention the hotness! :occasion14:

#25 OFFLINE   simondc07

simondc07

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,381 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Sports, Finance, Poker, and the Wild
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, GMP
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:55 PM

For me it is both simple and more complicated. Cars have been a big part of my life. My brother and I have traveled vast distances for car related events and having miniature replicas keeps many of these memories alive. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely that you will ever see some of the world's most spectacular cars in one place, so having many in 1/18 form allows me to dream, all on my dining table.

Lastly DX brings a whole new dimension as well. There are some real people on the forum that share similar interests. Before DX I thought that I was the odd one out.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use