What makes you feel good about this hobby?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you really get excited about in this hobby?

What makes you feel good about this hobby?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 ONLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,019 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:14 PM

View Postseppuku, on 29 November 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

Chicks dig it....:)
LOL..really? Okay, I know a few, but not that many..I suppose most see that is jewelry on them & not "toys" taking up space :giggle:

View PostCreepyVanMan, on 29 November 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

Pretty cool topic!

I love the details in the models and the wet paint. I love coming home from work and just standing in front of my cabinets staring at my models and trying to find something new about them. I also love the history behind the cars, especially the old Formula 1, LeMans, Group C cars etc..then telling my friends about it and such. Cool topic and seeing what everyone else says.
I know what you mean!! When I was still working in Detroit circa 2000  "1" of my living room displays had it's own wall, but now everything is stored away and it's nice to read what you feel as I used to be like that myself..

View Postwinstoncds, on 30 November 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

I made a lot of great friends through this hobby and getting to know someone as crazy or crazier is a bonus anyday.
Same here!! ..and you know that for the most part, you'll be friends for life!!! :yahoo:

View Postmcaf123, on 30 November 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

This is a really interesting topic - thanks for starting it Dave! For me it's the following:
  • Finding a model that is really good bang for your buck - the Bburago Signature Ferrari 488GTB springs to mind.
  • Waiting for my models to arrive and then opening them up and just taking in all the details for the first time.
  • Being able to look at them on display (shout out to my very tolerant wife for that).
  • Standing there with my 3 year old son as he tries to spot my latest add and we take it out and look at it together. We bought him a fair few 1:18 models from Costco and I gave him some of my old crappy ones to play with as treats while we toilet trained him and he runs downstairs to get his own and place them alongside mine to compare details. It's also the reason why his first word was "car", much to my delight and my wife's dismay .
  • Taking photos and writing reviews to share on forums like this and Facebook groups, so other people can see models they maybe may not have bought otherwise.
  • Meeting new people and making some friends - it's always nice to feel like you belong in places like these.
Just my
Chaim, I really love your last answers 4,5 & 6 :eusa_clap: ..I would love to ask my kid(if I had any) to see what's new with Daddy's displays..That's absolutely fun!!!   Also, staring off a future collector! :occasion14:

View PostCraig, on 30 November 2016 - 07:48 AM, said:

View PostD N, on 29 November 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostCraig, on 29 November 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

The thrill of the chase for a grail, it never gets old! I like it even more so when I score a grail for less money than I was expecting.
Thanks for re-directing me here Craig! Seems like more traction than the other place were I posted earlier.. that said, what can we post in "What's on your mind?" I wasn't clear on that my friend.
I also love finding a grail at a great price .. these days, even if one is of means, it makes more sense to WAIT and look before pressing "Buy"!..that could get costly!
Hi David, this sort of question deserved it's own thread as there will be a lot of discussion & quoting going on, plus we can see everything whenever we look through the thread. SU's are just for basic thoughts / questions, http://www.diecastxc...read-thank-you/
Cheers :smile:
Absolutely, will have another look see at the rules..   This turned out better than I expected..glad to see the love of our hobby in force here! :occasion14:

View PostOzz, on 30 November 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostRinceman, on 29 November 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

* Display Presence. Being able to pull out and examine the cars that I love at any time. The opportunity to see McLaren F1s and Zondas, even small ones, everyday is something I will never get tired of.

* The reactions from visitors. Most of the time it's subtle. But as shallow as it may seem. It's awesome to have the commitment recognized.

It's always great when a friend mentions they collect model cars, then you show 'em your warehouse
I believe it..Warehouses!! Especially in MoTown!! there used to be tons of diecast stores around.. that's also the city where my diecast collecting passion took off!

View PostScuddy, on 30 November 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

View PostRinceman, on 29 November 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

• Display Presence. Being able to pull out and examine the cars that I love at any time. The opportunity to see McLaren F1s and Zondas, even small ones, everyday is something I will never get tired of

that's a good point! Sometimes, I might see a 1:1 of one of my 1:18ths and spot a detail I hadn't noticed before, then go home and check the detail on the 1:18th to see it's been there all the time. Also, let's say you've got a MK1 and MK2 of a car, getting the MK3 to compare the progress is always of interest. Or, with diecasts, you can compare rival cars' engine, suspension set up, etc.

There's also variety too, in terms of scale options and automotive genres - cars, bikes, trucks, vans, track cars, rally cars, new cars, old cars, TV/Film cars, fast cars, slow cars, hearses, figurines - etc. There can't be that many hobbies that has such diversity of produce, and such a regular slew of new goodies to tempt us.

last - and don't laugh yet at this - Value For Money. Let me explain. I paid £75 in 2008 for a DE Kyosho BMW M3 in white. I've owned it now for eight years, which means it's cost me £9 per year; that's not even a £1 a month for a really nice piece of kit. I've had many years of pleasure from it already, and I bet I'll get years more joy from it still. We can apply that logic (if you can call it that!) even to those new models that we think are too expensive to buy today - buy it, keep it long term, and the pleasure remains long after the cost has been forgotten/absorbed.
I totally agree with that too! Also if you're in the business of cars, you get an idea of proportions (if the model is done correctly)!! :agreed:

View Post///M meister, on 30 November 2016 - 01:43 PM, said:

For me it's a few things, like Wayne Carini on Chasing classic cars always says "It's all about the chase" I love hunting down the rarer, older models that I have been wanting for a while.

Another factor is when I got in to the world of resin at the end of last year, it opened up an entirely new version of this hobby for me. It also kinda gave me a new enthusiasm for this hobby and the thing I really love about OttOmobile and GT spirit is when, at the beginning of every other month, the next batch of model go on to the website and you get to see what they are

And finally the 3rd factor is this place, I always felt like I was on my own when it came to 1:18s as non of my friends at school, college etc were into them, but when I joined DX in 2014 I immediately knew I was amongst fellow collectors.
Well, I'm glad that you also joined DX too! I joined in 2013 after being on two another site that was just not as active as it was originally(Still love & respect that site and the many friends that I also made there), but I really truly have been re-enthused here on DX..I'm really grateful for DX & the folks that make it an exciting place to visit everyday! :yahoo:

Edited by D N'D-Land, 30 November 2016 - 09:08 PM.

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below :occasion14:

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 ONLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:21 PM

View Postsimondc07, on 30 November 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

For me it is both simple and more complicated. Cars have been a big part of my life. My brother and I have traveled vast distances for car related events and having miniature replicas keeps many of these memories alive. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely that you will ever see some of the world's most spectacular cars in one place, so having many in 1/18 form allows me to dream, all on my dining table.

Lastly DX brings a whole new dimension as well. There are some real people on the forum that share similar interests. Before DX I thought that I was the odd one out.
Wow, I know what you mean! My world literally is cars(design)..but, even though I have moved on currently in other design, I still am anchored to cars from almost every aspect of how I see life..and knowing even if I could afford every 1/1 that I ever wanted, I would never be stupid enough to have all of those cars in one place. It's truly the memories of what  period in time I feel in love with a certain car that makes me smile when I look at a model from say , the 80s(when I was a kid) and then relate to that car from that period of time. Weirdly, I was becoming a huge fan of pop music, so I always associate "Tears for Fears" with the Ford XR4ti Sierra as that was a really trendy design taking off when that band was hot!  We all can relate here to and that's just a HUGE part of sharing, like now..can't believe that this went so deep for a all of us commenting! :occasion14:

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below :occasion14:

#28 OFFLINE   Ozz

Ozz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Mustangs, cars, heavy metal, and heavy weights!
  • Favorite Brands:GMP

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:01 PM

For me it is both simple and more complicated. Cars have been a big part of my life. My brother and I have traveled vast distances for car related events and having miniature replicas keeps many of these memories alive. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely that you will ever see some of the world's most spectacular cars in one place, so having many in 1/18 form allows me to dream, all on my dining table.

Lastly DX brings a whole new dimension as well. There are some real people on the forum that share similar interests. Before DX I thought that I was the odd one out.

I'm sure we can all relate. Mine remind me of my dad, he had a bunch through the years as I was growing up (in addition to his parade of rotating 1:1 classics) thought he was never serious about it. He picked them up at garage sales, etc. But he enjoyed them, and one of his most cherished gifts that I ever got him was a 1:18 Corvette GS, when he had a 1:1 to go along with it. He didn't expect to ever see such a thing, and he kept and loved it long after the 1:1 was gone. He's since passed, and I've yet to gather whatever collection of models he had at the time. I do know he has that one, and I plan to put it prominently in my showroom with a couple other similar items that remind me of him :)

And not as if I "enjoy" this, per se, but it's good to know in the end: you can get all or most of your money back whenever life changes enough to where you no longer wish to collect, or at least need/want to downsize. I'm sure it varies depending on what you collect and what you paid, but for the bargain hunters and those who have a lot of value-appreciating models, it's good news. Compare that to most hobbies where items of note depreciate to worthlessness over time, or have no tangible value at all.

Edited by Ozz, 30 November 2016 - 10:04 PM.

My 1:1: Mustang showcar

Daily driver: '16 Cadillac ATS-V sedan

#29 ONLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:20 AM

View PostOzz, on 30 November 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

I'm sure we can all relate. Mine remind me of my dad, he had a bunch through the years as I was growing up (in addition to his parade of rotating 1:1 classics) thought he was never serious about it. He picked them up at garage sales, etc. But he enjoyed them, and one of his most cherished gifts that I ever got him was a 1:18 Corvette GS, when he had a 1:1 to go along with it. He didn't expect to ever see such a thing, and he kept and loved it long after the 1:1 was gone. He's since passed, and I've yet to gather whatever collection of models he had at the time. I do know he has that one, and I plan to put it prominently in my showroom with a couple other similar items that remind me of him :)

And not as if I "enjoy" this, per se, but it's good to know in the end: you can get all or most of your money back whenever life changes enough to where you no longer wish to collect, or at least need/want to downsize. I'm sure it varies depending on what you collect and what you paid, but for the bargain hunters and those who have a lot of value-appreciating models, it's good news. Compare that to most hobbies where items of note depreciate to worthlessness over time, or have no tangible value at all.
Very touching reasons for sure..glad that you can connect this hobby to a loved one.

the 2nd part of your post "AMEN" to that!! :eusa_clap: :adore: :yahoo: Sometimes we're lucky enough to see some of these appreciate faster than gold! :twocents:  At least I have when that time did come! :occasion14:

#30 OFFLINE   Chris-GSO

Chris-GSO

• DX Community
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Classic European Cars from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s.
  • Number of Models:50
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Schuco, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: ch

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

Other than the thrill of unpacking a new model and doing some photography, I really enjoy playing curator for my own little classic car "museum" (what cars should be within the scope, what cars should be acquired, what should be the sequence and grouping of displaying the cars, what impact a specific car had on its brand and on automotive history, etc.).

Chris

#31 ONLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:55 PM

View PostChris-GSO, on 01 December 2016 - 03:26 PM, said:

Other than the thrill of unpacking a new model and doing some photography, I really enjoy playing curator for my own little classic car "museum" (what cars should be within the scope, what cars should be acquired, what should be the sequence and grouping of displaying the cars, what impact a specific car had on its brand and on automotive history, etc.).

Chris
Thanks for your input Chris! :eusa_clap:  I also like the idea of looking at them from a historical outlook as well. :smile:  In fact, I think that a loot of us(myself included) also take that part into effect as it's also part of the passion behind why we like a certain car and therefore the miniature as well. :occasion14:

#32 OFFLINE   Vitzrsx

Vitzrsx

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 289 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, Welly, HPI, IG
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

I think the anticipation of the arrival of the model and seeing unique models being announced are what makes it interesting for this hobby.

Also buying that certain brand/ favourite cars that people haven't seen before and showcasing them is quite addicting as well!
Check out my collection:
http://www.diecastxc...sv-dec-24-2015/

#33 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • Pip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Japan, Italy and more.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Pocher
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

there is a couple of things i like about collecting model cars. or a handful.

1) first the hunt, thinking hard about what color to choose, and where to find the best price.
2) waiting for delivery can be like waiting for santa Claus too :)
3) looking in stores personally.
4) unpacking a new model and checking it out.
5) changing a model to fit match my taste, like changing interior color, change wheels, lowering, and modding. or upgrading a model.
6) from time to time, taking a model from the display and look at it, opening doors and stuff.
7) photographing

#34 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Favorite Brands:. . .
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

I voted for people because on most forums I've been so far there were really good people and whole forum lived like one community. People use to help each other to find models, etc. Also, many times from forum members talks or car presentations you could learn or hear something new about some model etc. So, whole hobby was about people and cars. And I am glad to see that here on DX there is some part of that spirit. However what I really don't like among people these days is obsession with this hobby. Passion is OK, and wanted, but obsession is a bit much in my opinion. This is hobby and we should enjoy in it. It should hep us relax and forget everyday worries and problems. It should be like some getaway. And searching for a model, finding it, getting it for a good price, enjoy in it when it comes, admire its details, etc, and share it whit other people should help achieve that goal. However, when I see people waiting impatiently every two months what will GTS and Otto relise, all those beautiful things disappear. It reminds me on people who use to go and wait in line to buy new cell phone or people who go to the theater and wait for hours to see premier of a new film, like their life depends on that. Only lines worth waiting like that are the lines when you wait for food or medications or restroom or something life depending. All the others, forget it. Since life doesn't depend on them, they are not worth waiting and being impatient like that.
Other things that know to annoy me about people are "show off" and "jealousy". I am happy that I don't see them here, because I really hate them. If you buy something buy it to enjoy in it, not to make other people jealous. And in both cases I think people should sit down and think about them and their lives. Why they feel that way and why do they do this (or matter a fact any) hobby. . .
Now back to the things I like. What I didn't vote for, because I had only one vote, are high details models for reasonable prices. I really like them and enjoy in the. Actually I enjoy in them so much that if this policy of increasing prices and lowering the details continue I might finish buying only CMC models. At this moment they are the only one who still has that balance of hight details, good quality and not so high prices. And thill this day I never regret buying any CMC. They all have nice details, and for me they all represent what model should be. And, I am really sorry they don't do some modern cars but that might be a good thing. This way they do new model every 3-4 months and it gives me enough time to save money and get it with no problems. Also, with getting 3-4 per year, they don't take that much space in my home and I can display them all and enjoy in them.

#35 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,126 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

Opening parts and 'friendship' of other hobbyists are the main motivators for me! :twocents:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#36 ONLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostVitzrsx, on 02 December 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

I think the anticipation of the arrival of the model and seeing unique models being announced are what makes it interesting for this hobby.

Also buying that certain brand/ favourite cars that people haven't seen before and showcasing them is quite addicting as well!
Happy when something new that I like gets announced. then waiting for it is the hard part :occasion14:

View PostAlex SZ1996, on 03 December 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

there is a couple of things i like about collecting model cars. or a handful.

1) first the hunt, thinking hard about what color to choose, and where to find the best price.
2) waiting for delivery can be like waiting for santa Claus too :)
3) looking in stores personally.
4) unpacking a new model and checking it out.
5) changing a model to fit match my taste, like changing interior color, change wheels, lowering, and modding. or upgrading a model.
6) from time to time, taking a model from the display and look at it, opening doors and stuff.
7) photographing
Number one has been my biggest issue lately..when I can find a store that's always fun to hunt down items within :yahoo:

#37 ONLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:44 PM

View Post. . ., on 03 December 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

I voted for people because on most forums I've been so far there were really good people and whole forum lived like one community. People use to help each other to find models, etc. Also, many times from forum members talks or car presentations you could learn or hear something new about some model etc. So, whole hobby was about people and cars. And I am glad to see that here on DX there is some part of that spirit. However what I really don't like among people these days is obsession with this hobby. Passion is OK, and wanted, but obsession is a bit much in my opinion. This is hobby and we should enjoy in it. It should hep us relax and forget everyday worries and problems. It should be like some getaway. And searching for a model, finding it, getting it for a good price, enjoy in it when it comes, admire its details, etc, and share it whit other people should help achieve that goal. However, when I see people waiting impatiently every two months what will GTS and Otto relise, all those beautiful things disappear. It reminds me on people who use to go and wait in line to buy new cell phone or people who go to the theater and wait for hours to see premier of a new film, like their life depends on that. Only lines worth waiting like that are the lines when you wait for food or medications or restroom or something life depending. All the others, forget it. Since life doesn't depend on them, they are not worth waiting and being impatient like that.
Other things that know to annoy me about people are "show off" and "jealousy". I am happy that I don't see them here, because I really hate them. If you buy something buy it to enjoy in it, not to make other people jealous. And in both cases I think people should sit down and think about them and their lives. Why they feel that way and why do they do this (or matter a fact any) hobby. . .
Now back to the things I like. What I didn't vote for, because I had only one vote, are high details models for reasonable prices. I really like them and enjoy in the. Actually I enjoy in them so much that if this policy of increasing prices and lowering the details continue I might finish buying only CMC models. At this moment they are the only one who still has that balance of hight details, good quality and not so high prices. And thill this day I never regret buying any CMC. They all have nice details, and for me they all represent what model should be. And, I am really sorry they don't do some modern cars but that might be a good thing. This way they do new model every 3-4 months and it gives me enough time to save money and get it with no problems. Also, with getting 3-4 per year, they don't take that much space in my home and I can display them all and enjoy in them.
WOW, Very very good points ALL of them!! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:  I understand what you mean when people buy out of"having to have it" I am guilty of that (as many others here too)..but, because of that, I now wait and think if I really want that item or should I just save my monies of r other things :eusa_clap:
Yeah, I never get why people buy stuff to make others jealous? :dunno:  That's just stupid, because they are often wasting their money. That said..I hate jealous people, because if your friends or family has done well enough to buy what they need & want, then be happy for them. :eusa_clap:  I'd rather see people doing well across the board of life than to see jealousy & failure everywhere I look. I just take that "I must work smarter" attitude to get what I want and the stay happy :nice:

View Postmairandeddy, on 05 December 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

Opening parts and 'friendship' of other hobbyists are the main motivators for me! :twocents:
Absolutely my friend!!! :eusa_clap: :yahoo: ...but I'd like to add diecast to your two likes of this hobby..oh and lower pricing! :occasion14:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use