DiecastXchange Forum banner

1/18 1985 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupe & BMW M635 CSi (E24) Shadowline Trim ..by AUTOart

9K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  D N'D-Land 
#1 ·
So, if James Bond drove an Aston Martin Vantage similar to this model, then his German Counterpart (Let's call him "Jurgen Baurer") back in Deutschland must have needed his own Mid-80s hairy chested bravado beasts on 4 wheels. One car comes to mind as a counterpart to the Aston and that would be BMW's 6er (6 Series) in M spec

First of I have to think my friend Cristi (Known on DX as "the1") for me even having this model as we traded AAs to get to this point. Next, I have a ton(more literally by weight standards) of models that I never removed or only once or twice to view from boxes due to years of travel for work and living in various countries. So, this is the first time that I could share detailed pics of one my favorite AUTOart models!
If you were a kid in the 80s that built plastic kits(as I had done so) then you would know that Tamiya out of Japan made the best kits in the world period. That said, it seems like whenever AUTOart follows a formula to create the same cars in 1/18th scale die-cast it's almost always a hit for us collectors.

Naturally, I am comparing these to 80s coupes, not just because they are coupes, but because AUTOart finally showed us that they still can make great die-cast models with full engine details in the Aston V8 Vantage as they had done more than 10 years ago with the BMW M635CSI. That said, I really have "1" AUTOart regret. back in 2004 BMW Stuttgart was having a blow out sale on the white BMW M635CSI DE and I didn't bite!
Now, they are stupid expensive and my Grey 6er has "Shadowline" trim and the white DE models had chrome trim..I missed that one.

Since I have a flood of photos/fotos here, I will spare more long winded write ups and you can see additional comments above the pics below. I hope that you enjoy this posting as much as I have enjoyed putting these two together in my shots

Begin Aston Martin...

1985 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupe...

Details...

Opened Up!...

Power Source & Chassis...A Highly Detailed Full Motored One At That!

End Aston Martin...

Begin BMW M635CSI...

Details...

Opened Up!...

Super Detailed Power Source & Chassis...(Excuse The Wire For Hood/Bonnet Support)

Thanks For Viewing & Cheers!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Congratulations on the new acquisition and thank you for the wonderful pictures of the most impressive and most desirable Aston Martin models in 1/18 scale I have yet seen. Cumberland grey the colour I would choose if I could afford to buy one. Very James Bond! The 1985 AUTOart is so much nicer than the 1977 Aston Martin V8 Vantage sealed in resin by CMF.

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks Kitefighter!
So, this blue one is by CMF?..the color looks guuud! Wait, this is also an '85 right?
The '77s weren't so aggressive looking yet, especially the wheels/lower front airdam..
i still want the Chichester blue one when I have spare cash for a spare Aston Cheers!

#10 ·
Awesome photos of two Fantastic models.I remember going on a work course about 20 years ago and the Guy teaching had a real old style Vantage -don't remember what year he said it was though,very nice to see the both of them.
Thanks Darren!
Those cars were so sensational in their day and remarkable when one comes across them these days.
Sadly since I don't own either in 1/1, it's always nice to remember them from an accurate scale model perspective too
Glad that you liked this posting too Darren

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
now, those two look magnificent together, for sure! I can actually see them in a chase scene in a 007 film - how fantastic would that engine soundtrack be as those two raced and chased each other? Oh yes! :) Love your pics, too :)

I totally get what you're saying about Tamiya and AutoArt and the subject duplication - I remember buying Tamiya's M635CSi in Manchester in the summer of 1986. Back then, we didn't have the same information resources that we have now (online/immediate/accessible), so often the first you knew of a new scale model release was the exciting 'yes!' moment when you saw it there in the store - hence remembering the M6 in Manchester '86 :) I think I made two; one in white, one in metallic grey.

I've got AUTOart's Hobby Store M636CSi in silver/grey (non-Shadow-line, sadly), and, as I've confessed before, I haven't warmed to it. It is a lovely thing for sure - packed with details and so nicely made - but for me it's there as an important part of M history in my M collection, rather than because I love it. Strange thing is, I love the 1:1 M6 (and Tamiya's 1:24), but my AUTOart just leaves me a bit cold - I can't put my finger on why (colour? lack of Shadowline, maybe?) Never mind - there's no great hardship having it :)

Your watermark, mate - Daizignhaus. Does that mean design house?

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Scuddy!
I would have loved to see these two together in a Bond chase scene as well!
I'm glad that you also like my pics.

Remember those little booklets that came packed in with the Tamiya kits? I was so giddy to see if anything new had popped up in there when I opened the box (almost as much as the kit itself) :yahoo:I was fortunate enough to have a caring grandfather that called the US distributor in NJ and as I got older, I struck up a good relationship with the lady that worked there and often had insight to new models coming in stock.. I made my M635CSi in Silver. I tried to replicate the awesome box art rendering that drew me into Tamiya from the beginning

Wow, since I had bought my grey one, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't "Lachs Silber" coloured like the Tamiya box art and then I realised that it was a Shadowline..so, I was looking back years later forgetting that I painted my model silver like the box art and it too being silver not grey
However, I've grown to love my Shadowline grey version..I just need to Add White, Red, Blue & a couple of the other 6ers by AUTOart. That's interesting that you don't like your AUTOart version. You want to sell it? If so, I might be interested
I haven't seen a 1/1 in a LOOOONG time, but I certainly wouldn't mind having one in MSpec and great condition

Yes, "Daizignhaus" is a combination of my nickname & Design Haus (As I am a designer..so, it's my side company's name)
I had to start marking my shots as they had started showing up on sites around the world without my permission

Sorry for the late response this Saturday evening.

#12 ·
Congrats Dave! These are two timeless classic grand tourers, it's a shame that AUTOart doesn't make anything like these in this level of quality. Personally I like the bummer more than the Aston, and I would love to see them reissue this exact model since I don't have one.

#14 ·
Thanks Leo!
Well, at least AUTOart showed us that they can make cars this good if that want to.
Look at the Aston, it's as good as the BMW, and even better with regards to the fact that the hood & trunk stays open with support
Yes, I will mention this one to the head of AUTOart Europe on facebook, & see what he has to say

#13 ·
I have to confess to being hopelessly in love with your pictures of the Aston Martin. I admire the styling of the new Gayden era Aston Martins but they seem like Russian Doll versions of each other these days. But that gorgeous 1985 Aston Martin V8 Vantage was from the Newport Pagnell factory, handmade and beautiful and so British. I'm fearful that if I dither too much longer, te Cumberland Grey colour will be sold out. A friend lent me his CMF model and I posted some pictures (please see the link below). But just looking at your pictures, particularly the engine bay fully plumed motor, V8 Aston Martin rocker covers, large air scoop, it just does it for me. I can't think of a better, more desirable model released this year. Well done AUTOart.

http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/154521-1977-aston-martin-v8-vantage-by-cmf/

#15 ·
I have to confess to being hopelessly in love with your pictures of the Aston Martin. I admire the styling of the new Gayden era Aston Martins but they seem like Russian Doll versions of each other these days. But that gorgeous 1985 Aston Martin V8 Vantage was from the Newport Pagnell factory, handmade and beautiful and so British. I'm fearful that if I dither too much longer, te Cumberland Grey colour will be sold out. A friend lent me his CMF model and I posted some pictures (please see the link below). But just looking at your pictures, particularly the engine bay fully plumed motor, V8 Aston Martin rocker covers, large air scoop, it just does it for me. I can't think of a better, more desirable model released this year. Well done AUTOart.

http://www.diecastxc...vantage-by-cmf/
Oh thank you so much!
That is an awesome compliment
I know what you mean about the "Russian Doll Theme" Mercedes is really guilty of this these days
Just visited your posting & great photos there too!!!
Yes, it's one of the best models done this year..Such a pity that I only paid 50-60 -euros for my BMW in 2003 or 2004 & that this Aston is being sold for 239-249 -euros and is basically the same level of detail

#16 ·
Glad you enjoyed the Aston, dear friend. Wow, the Shadowline M635i. What an amazing pair. I think I'd go home with the Bimmer. I am a bit jealous. I only have the green 635, I missed the M version.

PS wonderful pics aside, I must say Autoart's interpretation of Cumberland gray seems too dark, too maroon IMO. much darker than the actual Bond car.

#18 ·
THANK YOU VERY MUCH TOO DEAR FRIEND!!!
I really & truly appreciate you and am grateful for the trade of models(just disappointed that yours had a mirror off during shipping)
Yes, that BMW was my first favorite BMW as a kid (Thanks to Tamiya & the TV Series "Hawk" & "Moon Lighting")

Yes, AUTOart's color looks more Brown than Grey.but I like it none the less..one day I'll add the blue one too!
Thanks again for the deal Cristi!

#20 ·
perfect! I have the M3, too - the Holy M trilogy - M3, M5, M6 :)

Would love to hook up in Belgium, but usually it's fly in, jump in an E-Klasse taxi, dash along a dual carriage way (or get stuck in horrid traffic for ages!), then on to a hotel for a few days, jump back in an E taxi, sit in traffic, fly home :(

But the food is grrrreeeeaaaat! :)

Attachments

#21 ·
YAY!! You also have the Holy AUTOart Bimmer Trinity too!!
Man, it's so sad for people just getting into the hobby price wise.. these things were cheaper than new Norevs when first released, now, they are 10x plus online in some cases
I would love for Norev or even better a new company to show up with these levels of details for under 100-euros and give ALL collectors a chance at what we had early on!
I'd be jumping for joy. Companies like Norev/Sunstar/iScale & even Bburago/Maisto could tweak their models for higher levels of details and then own this business out right!..giving the greedy some nightmares
We can all dream, can't we?

yes, at great restaurants, the food is GREAT here!!..especially if it's on the company!

#22 ·
Hey, Moonlighting and the silver/beige 633CSi... you reminded me of this:

#23 ·
#27 ·
the more I see that Aston, the more I want it. And the more I think bronze is the best colour. Plus...if any AUTOart diecast deserves a leather interior, it's got to be the Aston, surely?

Sooooo tempted to buy one, but for the next few months the credit card is saying no. No problem :)

#29 ·
it's interesting that Tamiya also nailed the shape of the Mercedes 500 SEC 1:24th way back in 1982, yet many years later, AUTOart utterly mangled it beyond belief in 1:18. With CAD advances since 1982, how on earth did AUTOart get the SEC's shape so wrong? :(

#30 ·
YUP YUP YUP!!! I wonder HOW AUTOart messed up their 500SEC(Just a mess, they would've done better to just copy the Tamiya and add newer wheel design) & S2000(Too flat over the rear fender and the front bumper is wrong..but I told J.Yee that in person and he agreed as we both owned S2000s at that time..Maisto actually go the shape right) and even the first 2000/2001 CL500 models (over the wheels the front fender is too thin)...Good points!

#31 ·
OH MY GOD!!

The 6er it's very very amazing, It's one of the model missed in my larger collection of BMW.
Sometimes i made a search of this model, but your with a shadow line it's amazing litterally.

Nice also compared to the AS.

Congratulation.

Bye Friend!

#32 ·
Oh Thank You My Friend!
I could kick myself for not buying the White and other DE version when BMW Stuttgart were dumping them back in 2004/05 for dirt cheap..
Back then I was content with my Shadow Line and not seeing that I would really have to spend a lot to for the same models years later
That said, I still need a 635 none M spec in my collection too
I'm glad that you really liked my post and I missed seeing you on the board!..Glad that you're back in action!
Cheers & Take Care!

#34 ·
I would be happy with the shadow line David, I thinks it's the most popular and expensive on ebay, and it looks great ! My local diecast store got a used blue M635 for sale...but for 419.95cad+taxes+shipping
WAAHH UUUUT!!!
419 in a store
That insane pricing from a retailer..is it MINT?
I would LOVE o have a Blue One too..but I really would love a white & Red one..
Heck, I want them ALL..LOL
Okay, I need to focus and be happy with what I got!!

#36 ·
Hmmm, is it away to bargain them down a bit?
You're in Toronto right?
Which store is it(with the fact that 2008 was the last time that I was model shopping in Toronto)? Gosh, I miss that city!! I LOVED going to Pacific Mall for model cars and DIM SUM..
Cheers!

#37 ·
Im from Quebec
its from nicecarcollection.com, I think they bought it from a collector and sell it as a used model, which it is, but they dont really bargain, like I said to Wes the other day, I bought 38 models from them and the best discount I can get when im there is like 5 to 7%, 95% of the time, i can get better prices on ebay or from collectors, even with the shipping included, but its nice to buy models in person too, but I choose wisely what I buy there
tomotorsports.com have better prices for new models 99%of the time and theres just 5% taxes when I buy online

#38 ·
Im from Quebec
its from nicecarcollection.com, I think they bought it from a collector and sell it as a used model, which it is, but they dont really bargain, like I said to Wes the other day, I bought 38 models from them and the best discount I can get when im there is like 5 to 7%, 95% of the time, i can get better prices on ebay or from collectors, even with the shipping included, but its nice to buy models in person too, but I choose wisely what I buy there
tomotorsports.com have better prices for new models 99%of the time and theres just 5% taxes when I buy online
WOW, they sound TUFF!
You know places like that go out of business quickly if they aren't in a tourist spot!
...most collectors like us just know to avoid them and look elsewhere
..such a pity that they don't like to deal Iron!!
Quebec!
..that's a city I have heard a lot about, know a few folks there, but have yet to visit..one day we'll do so!!

#40 ·
Well Im from Quebec, the province, not the city...but Québec city is only 1hour from where I am
Cool! I'd love to see both the Province & City of Quebec one day!!....I hear that it's a NICE city!!!

#42 ·
Toronto was my #1 Favorite City world wide when I lived in Detroit.
I used to drive there every other weekend (Where I accumulated most of my diecast from 98-2001).
Also the food is GREAT!

LOL! I don't mind you saying it as many times as you like, because I love the Aston model too!

#44 ·
Nice!!..I like it too!
I almost ended up in LaJolla for a job back in 2001, but decided on a job in Frankfurt(later taking a job near Stuttgart with M-B)..which is still my favorite city.
I love Frankfurt because I made some really good friends there and then the fact that I could drive from inner city to beautiful locations all around Hessen in minutes(when no Stau) and be on a river boat ride and then back in town later for dinner and a movie
..also, at that time, there were tons of hobby shops in and around the city(but the Stuttgart area had more modellauto shops)!!
I miss it! That's why Toronto is mow my No.2 favorite city

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.