• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, photography, cars
  • Favorite Brands:Whomever makes my fav cars!
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:43 PM

Ever since the 2017 Ford GT was the big surprise at the Detroit Auto Show, I was ready to buy a diecast version.  Unfortunately the first ones were curbside, and I like opening things.

I might have cringed when Maisto announced theirs, and still no word from AutoArt.  However, Maisto mentioned an Exclusive Edition, which was to be slightly nicer than the Special Edition.  So I figured I'd give it a try.  DMW had their 10% coupon which brought down to a darn good price, so I just had to decide between the maroon and blue with white stripes.  Then the maroon disappeared; decision made.

Tonight I pulled it out of its box, and I'm impressed.  Shots of the SE version online didn't give me too much hope, but man, it looks great in person.  While the paint is a little thicker (shocking, I know) than more upscale models, it's very nicely done, glossy with great metallic flake, and the color's fantastic.  Stripes are straight and look very good, and gaps are tight and most panels line up well, so overall the fit and finish is good.  The doors are the let-down - hard to open and move, floppy, and the lower rockers stick out a bit.

The interior's not bad.  Has little shift paddles, contrasting colors, and gauges.  Engine looks fine - honestly, not much to go on, since the 1:1's hidden away.

Some good details - wheels, head and tail lights (especially the headlights!!), brake appearance, and carbon fiber.  Not sure how the carbon was done, but it's a great effect and looks pretty convincing.  It's obvious what it is!

Some which need some work - brake operation (rotors spin sometimes, but get stuck), side marker lights (a bit bright, they're paint), and all vents (no holes).

Overall, I'm very happy. It brought a "wow" when I first pulled back the tissue paper, and it displays very well.  No question that it's worth the money, around $40-50.  I'll see if AutoArt comes out with one and will decide later what to do...for now, no regrets!

No pics now, should be able to get some later.

Edited by GirchyGirchy, 31 December 2016 - 10:28 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   sorang06

sorang06

• DX Community
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Driving fast and exotic cars, road racing, and collecting Diecast!
  • Number of Models:30 1:18 models and growing!
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Hotwheels Elite, Kyosho, Maisto

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

Such a tease with no pics!!

#3 OFFLINE   GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, photography, cars
  • Favorite Brands:Whomever makes my fav cars!

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, yeah!

Posted Image_DSC9209 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9214 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9216 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9234 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9238 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9239 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Headlight details:

Posted Image_DSC9217 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

There are a couple of odd spots above the diffuser on the 'carbon' panel that wraps up and under the exhaust.  If you view full size, you can see the corner where it transitions from angled to flat.  From the mold maybe?  Also similar blemishes under the rear vents on either side of the rear license plate.  Exhaust detailing isn't bad, but note the painted CHMSL, rear reflectors, and back up lights.

Posted Image_DSC9220 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Wheels...note the transparency behind the rear one, that body panel must be plastic.  Also note the rear taillights.  Good detailing on the wheels and brakes, tires are unbranded but the treads are good (see later pic).

Posted Image_DSC9222 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9221 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Interior.  Dash is pretty good - lots of textures and colors on the upper surface, seats are hard plastic.

Posted Image_DSC9225 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9227 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9230 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Engine...nice glossy carbon plate behind it, and even a little EcoBoost logo!  Close up shows the carbon "weave" is a texture.  Looks very good on the shelf.

Posted Image_DSC9233 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9233_2 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Under the front "hood."  Nothing much to see here.

Posted Image_DSC9235 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Underbody is a large carbon plate with a nice diffuser.  Check the door mismatch at the lower edge...If I were you guys, don't open the doors.  Tire treads are a pretty good match to the OEM Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2.

Posted Image_DSC9236 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9223 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9237 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9240 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Posted Image_DSC9241 by Girchy Girchy, on Flickr

Happy now? :)

Edited by GirchyGirchy, 31 December 2016 - 10:26 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   wackygt

wackygt

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Number of Models:23
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Hotwheels Elite, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

Nice detailed review, think you may have just convinced me to buy one of these!

#5 OFFLINE   Zondaracer

Zondaracer

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:kitcars, windsurfing, rowbiking
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, Welly
  • Proud Citizen of:nl

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:07 AM

Yes, buy this one and stay clear of the special edition. Bought both because I need the cheaper one for parts to create a moving spoiler. To my horror discovered Maisto put too small non moving steel brakes on the cheaper special edition. Also the headlights on the exclusive are spot on and totally wrong on the special edition. Here's a pic that shows both wheel/brakes combinations. Horror!
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use