What's up with resin (sealed) models?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Corvettedude98

Corvettedude98

• DX Community
  • 35 posts
  • Number of Models:200+ in various scales
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto, Welly, and anything that has high quality for a low price.
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

Why do companies like BBR, Autoart, and other high end diecast companies charge so much money for models where you can neither open the doors nor see or access an engine? I've been curious about this for a long time. What makes these resin models stand out from diecast models with opening parts?

Edited by Corvettedude98, 05 January 2017 - 03:38 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5,535 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

They look great and its easier to make. And most of the collectors dont really open their models more than 1 or 2 times so they go the easy way

#3 OFFLINE   sergio

sergio

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 754 posts
  • Number of Models:250+
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, TSM, Minichamps, Spark, Exoto, HPI, UTModels, Action, Maisto,
  • Proud Citizen of:sr

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

I find diecast with openings are Always Superior to resin.
The annoying this is that sometimes a model you want is only released as a resin sealed model.
So than you can Make the choice.
Not to buy or Have at least a replica of the model you want even if it is resin or sealed diecast.

Edited by mairandeddy, 08 January 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 8,948 posts
  • Number of Models:350+
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART Highway 61 Hot Wheels Elite Ertl Authentics

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

To answer your question the only thing that stands out on Resin over diecast is Paint quality (sometimes) and packaging/presentation. O and the really nice ones, like BBR cost more than pretty much all diecast except CMC. Resin is just cheaper to produce, and quicker to produce, because of that ability to get the models out quickly they can charge a premium to over zealous collectors. I do not look down on Resin models or collectors who buy Resin models, but personally they just do not have the same charm for me, I have about 1 resin for every 100 models in my collection and it will likely stay that way. Every now and then I will get one, but I largely ignore them. There was usually plenty of good diecast models to keep me satisfied.

Feel free to View My Collection Thread
http://www.diecastxc...and-collection/

It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates! Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   technica

technica

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,635 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ricko... Anything goes!
  • Proud Citizen of:sg

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

It's the whole package as I see it.
  • Superb paint job (thick and glossy without fear of paint chips due to opening parts)
  • Accurate body proportion and stance (can be lowered and camber as they like without problems because they are non-steerable)
  • Detailing of interior, engine (for clear engine cover) and brakes with PE parts (adding some PE parts increases realism)
  • Detailed and accurate PE emblem/badges
  • Solid base plate with leather/velvet cover
  • High quality acrylic cover (for some)
  • High class looking outer box
The above are applicable to those more expensive premium resin models. :twocents:

Check out my custom works at Technica's Portfolio.
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Ztune

Ztune

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Photography, motorsports, watersports, exercising, healthcare, economics
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, TSM, HPI

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

For me it's the paint and lack of panel gaps.  The panel gaps on a lot of my diecast cars kills the realism.  My resin models look very much the part and especially the ones with photo etched parts.

#7 OFFLINE   Corvettedude98

Corvettedude98

• DX Community
  • 35 posts
  • Number of Models:200+ in various scales
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto, Welly, and anything that has high quality for a low price.

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

Thank you all for thoroughly answering my question. I never saw a resin model in person, but from what I've read from your responses, it would seem that their paint work and exterior detail are what make them stand out, with the leather base and glass cover also contributing to the high price.

#8 OFFLINE   Guiddy

Guiddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 369 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

There is a crisp quality feel to resin models, plus they display oh so well.
If you have seen a closed Frontiart model up close its quite something to behold!
I have a few BBR Ferrari too and they are beautiful.
Things like carbon finish and brake detail.

#9 OFFLINE   Sir Arun

Sir Arun

• DX Community
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Die Cast, Magic: the Gathering, WH 40k, PC gaming, movies, music, political squabbling, history & astronomy
  • Number of Models:Around fifty 1/24s, over a dozen 1/18s as well as half a dozen cars somewhere in the 1/30s scale.
  • Favorite Brands:Welly
  • Proud Citizen of:at

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

I think closed bodyshell resin models should never sell for more than 150 bucks max, given that you can get Autoarts and exotos that have opening parts for higher prices.

#10 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,886 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

View PostSir Arun, on 30 January 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

I think closed bodyshell resin models should never sell for more than 150 bucks max, given that you can get Autoarts and exotos that have opening parts for higher prices.

I agree, but resin models operate by a different set of rules. More often than not, it's a model that won't ever be made with opening parts. Then you have the limited number, because of the short life of the mould, then the fact that they're usually made by hand by tiny companies. So unless they price them accordingly, they basically won't make any money.
Wes

#11 ONLINE   jusali

jusali

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Too many to choose from

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:04 AM

Resins are normally made in small batches and are hand detailed. Thus your labour cost is high and level of detail is high too.
These are actually works of art rather than mass produced hence the premium.
Companies like Otto and GT Spirit keep costs down by manufacturing in East Asia and limiting the level of detail found in models like Frontiart and BBR.
I like resin because it allows me to have cars that would never be viable for mass production and also I don't need to worry about paint rash etc

#12 OFFLINE   spanner76

spanner76

• DX Community
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:stuff
  • Favorite Brands:Classic Carlectables, Auto World, TSM, Universal Hobbies, Minichamps, AUTOart, Kyosho, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:00 AM

personally I have a strictly "no sealed models" purchasing code. If it doesn't have at least opening door & bonnet then it just doesn't cut it in my book. In fact I almost didn't buy the Autoart Sumo Power GT1 GT-R because its boot/trunk doesn't open but im glad I did buy it as the rest of the model makes up for it. I also really like the Lamborghini GaIIardo GT3 but the Autoart model only has opening doors and no front or rear openings so it was a no go for me..

I simply cannot justify the almost always premium price tag on solid body models and not get visible engine detailing.

#13 OFFLINE   Sir Arun

Sir Arun

• DX Community
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Die Cast, Magic: the Gathering, WH 40k, PC gaming, movies, music, political squabbling, history & astronomy
  • Number of Models:Around fifty 1/24s, over a dozen 1/18s as well as half a dozen cars somewhere in the 1/30s scale.
  • Favorite Brands:Welly
  • Proud Citizen of:at

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:06 AM

View Postspanner76, on 07 February 2017 - 03:00 AM, said:

I simply cannot justify the almost always premium price tag on solid body models and not get visible engine detailing.

But what if, like in the case of Kyosho's Veneno, the opposite is the case, i.e. the sealed model costs tons less (about $120 less) compared to the opening doors version (Autoart)? Would you then still stick to your purchasing code (assuming you wanted to get the model, of course), and pay the extra $120 just for the opening doors and rear engine cover (and perforated grill and accented front headlight bulb)?

Edited by Sir Arun, 07 February 2017 - 03:06 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:15 AM

View PostSir Arun, on 07 February 2017 - 03:06 AM, said:

View Postspanner76, on 07 February 2017 - 03:00 AM, said:

But what if, like in the case of Kyosho's Veneno, the opposite is the case, i.e. the sealed model costs tons less (about $120 less) compared to the opening doors version (Autoart)? Would you then still stick to your purchasing code (assuming you wanted to get the model, of course), and pay the extra $120 just for the opening doors and rear engine cover (and perforated grill and accented front headlight bulb)?

Yes.
Wes

#15 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:no

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:56 AM

Me too.

But when the price is similar and the resin is better (like GTS Cayman GT4 vs Schuco Cayman GT4) I go resin. I Autoart had made that Cayman GT4 as a full "multimedia" model (no 2-openings bs) I would pay the extra 60-70 euros.

#16 OFFLINE   RSIevolution

RSIevolution

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Interests:Music, 1:1 Cars, 1:18 Cars...
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart- Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:gr

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:14 AM

I am sick and tired of resin sealed models with no steering and composite models with only doors opening. I think its cheaper and better if i collect photos of cars i like, instead of cheap resin dummies. Yes photos in my HDD. For instance, i bought an ignition model for 235euros and the front and rear windshield is NOT properly glued. 200+ euros for a painted piece of resin, with NO steering, NO engine, NO opening parts. Sorry guys, i respect myself and my hard earned money and since i was buying Bburago and UT, i believed that with the progress of technology, this hobby would go awesome. BUT since resin came up, i hated it. I am not going to continue paying so much money, even if they make some very beloved cars of mine. I am in serious thought of quiting.
Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:03 AM

Don't quit. Just pretend they don't exist. That's what I do
Wes

#18 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

As I've said on previous resin vs diecast threads, the existence of the model is more important to me than the type of model itself.

I'm a BMW fan first and model collector second.

There's a reason GT Spirit have been voted #1 model manufacturer two years in a row on this forum. They make models that enthusiasts want. This makes a big difference. The quality is also spot on. The paint is outstanding and they are very crisp/clean (if that makes sense).

Would I prefer they were diecast and opened? Yes, ideally, assuming they were appropriately/realistically priced. As a BMW collector the gold standard for models were the old AutoArt Millenium range. Those days are gone and I have to accept that. As such, as a BMW collector I'm limited to mid range Norev and Paragon (not bad but nothing special) and Minichamps (great subject matter - M3s/CSLs etc) but mediocre execution given the price.
:adore:Posted Image Because fanboy.

#19 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 8,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

I never understood the statement "resin companies do the models that would never have been done in diecast". Well that is just not really a statement that can be supported by any facts. If the resin companies had not popped up by the dozens, and had diecast remained the standard in model making as it was, I am sure many of the models, which to now have only been offered in resin, would have been done in diecast. Had collectors not been so welcoming of resin in the first place, we would probably have gotten most of those previously mentioned "resin only" models in diecast, by default. I am glad collectors have the models they want, but I feel like resin companies have created a lot of collectors who "settle" for their products. Just my opinion here and please, if you are offended, know that I am just putting in my two cents and am not trying to stir things up.

As a side note, I will almost certainly be buying at least a few resins myself this year, as frankly they are about the only choices we have left. 28 models shown at Nuremburg interested me to some degree, only 11 are opening diecast!

#20 OFFLINE   Arnage

Arnage

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 168 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart, Exoto

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

View Postlateapex, on 07 February 2017 - 04:56 AM, said:

Me too.

But when the price is similar and the resin is better (like GTS Cayman GT4 vs Schuco Cayman GT4) I go resin.

Sorry but I don't agree with that statement. The Schuco GT4 is a superior model, made from diescast and has opening bits.

#21 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

View PostJosh, on 09 February 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

I never understood the statement "resin companies do the models that would never have been done in diecast". Well that is just not really a statement that can be supported by any facts. If the resin companies had not popped up by the dozens, and had diecast remained the standard in model making as it was, I am sure many of the models, which to now have only been offered in resin, would have been done in diecast. Had collectors not been so welcoming of resin in the first place, we would probably have gotten most of those previously mentioned "resin only" models in diecast, by default.

I disagree. I see no inclination from the diecast crowd (AutoArt, Minichamps etc) to listen to their customers in the same way Otto or GT Spirit do. If it wasn't for Otto, I would still be waiting for Alpina 1/18s to this day.

Otto in particular make rather 'out there' and unexpected models which fill gaps no other manufacturers seem to be capable of (or have no desire to fill). I suspect it's down to tooling and cost of manufacturing. Minichamps in particular however has a penchant for re-releases of old moulds in with new liveries with no improvement in detail and higher prices.

Edited by g3org3y, 09 February 2017 - 11:45 AM.

:adore:Posted Image Because fanboy.

#22 OFFLINE   littlerockshhd

littlerockshhd

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,866 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

Josh there is no way a model like this one was getting made in diecast.
Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 8,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

View Postg3org3y, on 09 February 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

View PostJosh, on 09 February 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

I never understood the statement "resin companies do the models that would never have been done in diecast". Well that is just not really a statement that can be supported by any facts. If the resin companies had not popped up by the dozens, and had diecast remained the standard in model making as it was, I am sure many of the models, which to now have only been offered in resin, would have been done in diecast. Had collectors not been so welcoming of resin in the first place, we would probably have gotten most of those previously mentioned "resin only" models in diecast, by default.

I disagree. I see no inclination from the diecast crowd (AutoArt, Minichamps etc) to listen to their customers in the same way Otto or GT Spirit do. If it wasn't for Otto, I would still be waiting for Alpina 1/18s to this day.

Otto in particular make rather 'out there' and unexpected models which fill gaps no other manufacturers seem to be capable of (or have no desire to fill). I suspect it's down to tooling and cost of manufacturing. Minichamps in particular however has a penchant for re-releases of old moulds in with new liveries with no improvement in detail and higher prices.

What diecast crowd? There are not any left LOL!

Like I said I just feel like if resin had not come into focus in the first place, more diecast companies would have instead. Like that Autocraft company that just put out a really nice looking model of the Lykan thingie. Talk about an offbeat car, they only built like 6 or 7 total! Yet there is a wonderful diecast opening model and under 100 bucks no less. Once the door was opened by collectors welcoming sealed models, made from a cheaper, inferior material (resin by definition is THE cheapest material used in manufacturing physical goods, with the intended purpose of long term ownership), new diecast companies went bye bye. Who's to say Otto, GTS, BOS, and others would not have been diecast companies if collectors had not welcomed Spark and BBR with such open arms? Again just my two cents. I am in no way blaming collectors such as yourself for the demise of the diecast industry. It was probably gonna happen anyways considering the poor leadership of Autoart and PMA LOL!

#24 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 8,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

View Postlittlerockshhd, on 09 February 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

Josh there is no way a model like this one was getting made in diecast.
Posted Image

Why not? These were done in diecast.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   littlerockshhd

littlerockshhd

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,866 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:44 AM

Yeah, and two out of three those companies went under..and at the rate AUTOart is going???...LOL! Resin really does allow for niche models to be made quickly and at a low cost..they are basically just shells on wheels...The last two years of resin models would have taken two lifetimes of R&D, if they were fully opening die cast models...  In a way, Resin models are kind of like Fast Food... fast, cheap (cheaper) and tasty, but are not nearly as satisfying as a good ole fashioned well prepared die-cast.

Edited by littlerockshhd, 10 February 2017 - 07:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use