What's up with resin (sealed) models?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Corvettedude98

Corvettedude98

• DX Community
  • 34 posts
  • Number of Models:200+ in various scales
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto, Welly, and anything that has high quality for a low price.
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

Why do companies like BBR, Autoart, and other high end diecast companies charge so much money for models where you can neither open the doors nor see or access an engine? I've been curious about this for a long time. What makes these resin models stand out from diecast models with opening parts?

Edited by Corvettedude98, 05 January 2017 - 03:38 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5,038 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

They look great and its easier to make. And most of the collectors dont really open their models more than 1 or 2 times so they go the easy way

#3 ONLINE   sergio

sergio

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 712 posts
  • Number of Models:250+
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, TSM, Minichamps, Spark, Exoto, HPI, UTModels, Action, Maisto,
  • Proud Citizen of:sr

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

I find diecast with openings are Always Superior to resin.
The annoying this is that sometimes a model you want is only released as a resin sealed model.
So than you can Make the choice.
Not to buy or Have at least a replica of the model you want even if it is resin or sealed diecast.

Edited by mairandeddy, 08 January 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts
  • Number of Models:350+
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART Highway 61 Hot Wheels Elite Ertl Authentics

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

To answer your question the only thing that stands out on Resin over diecast is Paint quality (sometimes) and packaging/presentation. O and the really nice ones, like BBR cost more than pretty much all diecast except CMC. Resin is just cheaper to produce, and quicker to produce, because of that ability to get the models out quickly they can charge a premium to over zealous collectors. I do not look down on Resin models or collectors who buy Resin models, but personally they just do not have the same charm for me, I have about 1 resin for every 100 models in my collection and it will likely stay that way. Every now and then I will get one, but I largely ignore them. There was usually plenty of good diecast models to keep me satisfied.

Feel free to View My Collection Thread
http://www.diecastxc...and-collection/

It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates! Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   technica

technica

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ricko... Anything goes!
  • Proud Citizen of:sg

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

It's the whole package as I see it.
  • Superb paint job (thick and glossy without fear of paint chips due to opening parts)
  • Accurate body proportion and stance (can be lowered and camber as they like without problems because they are non-steerable)
  • Detailing of interior, engine (for clear engine cover) and brakes with PE parts (adding some PE parts increases realism)
  • Detailed and accurate PE emblem/badges
  • Solid base plate with leather/velvet cover
  • High quality acrylic cover (for some)
  • High class looking outer box
The above are applicable to those more expensive premium resin models. :twocents:

Check out my custom works at Technica's Portfolio.
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Ztune

Ztune

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Photography, motorsports, watersports, exercising, healthcare, economics
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, TSM, HPI

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

For me it's the paint and lack of panel gaps.  The panel gaps on a lot of my diecast cars kills the realism.  My resin models look very much the part and especially the ones with photo etched parts.

#7 OFFLINE   Corvettedude98

Corvettedude98

• DX Community
  • 34 posts
  • Number of Models:200+ in various scales
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto, Welly, and anything that has high quality for a low price.

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

Thank you all for thoroughly answering my question. I never saw a resin model in person, but from what I've read from your responses, it would seem that their paint work and exterior detail are what make them stand out, with the leather base and glass cover also contributing to the high price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use