winstoncds

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,883 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Ebbro IXO
  • Proud Citizen of:in

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

View Postlittlerockshhd, on 10 February 2017 - 05:44 AM, said:

Yeah, and two out of three those companies went under..and at the rate AUTOart is going???...LOL! Resin really does allow for niche models to be made quickly and at a low cost..they are basically just shells on wheels...The last two years of resin models would have taken two lifetimes of R&D, if they were fully opening die cast models... In a way, Resin models are kind of like Fast Food... fast, cheap (cheaper) and tasty, but are not nearly as satisfying as a good ole fashioned well prepared die-cast.
You pretty much summed it all. Early last decade we were asking the model makers to move from doglegs to proper door mechanisms. 10 years later we are adding black wash to body panels on resin models to mimic gaps. Are we moving forward or backward.
I know Kung-fu
Posted Image
and 50 other such dangerous words.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,885 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

Unfortunately if we keep wanting the prices to stay constant, we'll move further and further backwards. CMC keep their detail level constant and look at their prices. Went from $200 to $600 here in canada in a matter of 5 years. Autoarts went up from $150 to $300 in the same span of time, but the parts count and the materials used both took a big hit.
Wes

#28 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 8,555 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:13 AM

As i speak in 1/12 tongue,without Resin there is just the odd 1/12 Diecast/Copper model coming out in this scale(Kyosho 1/12 Rolls Royce-Diecast,CMC 1/12 Alfa 8C-Copper)Around 20 Resins are coming out that i will be looking to buy.A big swing from a few years ago,i see in 1/12 -resin is here to stay. :twocents:

#29 OFFLINE   littlerockshhd

littlerockshhd

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:37 AM

Resin is definitely here to stay... Unless they invent something cheaper or easier material to work with... We've definitely seen a boom in 1/12 and tuner models since resin has come on the seen... Hopefully there will be some companies that make both resin and die-cast models, as both have a place in my collection.

#30 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 8,948 posts
  • Number of Models:350+
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART Highway 61 Hot Wheels Elite Ertl Authentics

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

I have had one lonely resin for about three years now. I am pretty sure the Zonda F and XJ220 will be joining him if they are indeed released, and possibly some of those cool Aston's like the old Vantage Zagato, O and the Disco Alfa Romeo! I do like that the models are at least being done, but paying over $150 for a sealed resin when I remember sub $100 high quality diecast from just about every model company, makes my wallet be like

https://www.youtube....h?v=Z7b6HOGqn5Q

Feel free to View My Collection Thread
http://www.diecastxc...and-collection/

It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates! Posted Image

#31 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,774 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:no

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:05 AM

View Postwinstoncds, on 10 February 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

View Postlittlerockshhd, on 10 February 2017 - 05:44 AM, said:

Yeah, and two out of three those companies went under..and at the rate AUTOart is going???...LOL! Resin really does allow for niche models to be made quickly and at a low cost..they are basically just shells on wheels...The last two years of resin models would have taken two lifetimes of R&D, if they were fully opening die cast models... In a way, Resin models are kind of like Fast Food... fast, cheap (cheaper) and tasty, but are not nearly as satisfying as a good ole fashioned well prepared die-cast.
You pretty much summed it all. Early last decade we were asking the model makers to move from doglegs to proper door mechanisms. 10 years later we are adding black wash to body panels on resin models to mimic gaps. Are we moving forward or backward.

Both of those posts are excellent, and says it all really.

#32 OFFLINE   Rust-MyEnemy

Rust-MyEnemy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 209 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Unbelievably...Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of:uk

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

View Postwinstoncds, on 10 February 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

It's the lack of panel gaps more than anything else that kills resins stone dead for me. That and the way that 90% of the cars I'm interested have no detailing to any side pillars (apart from the first and last) and windows made from the same film that Bburago use for windows in the boxes that their £20 diecast models come in.

I'm all for increased choice, but I'm more than happy to limit my die-cast collecting solely to those models that happen to be available. I don't tend to display my models because I don't have space. I get them out of the box, hold them, play with them, inspect them, take photos, write about them and then store them until next time I do the same again.

To me, a sealed model is like a book that you can't open and read the words.

Edited by Rust-MyEnemy, 15 February 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   protzenegger

protzenegger

• DX Community
  • 84 posts
  • Number of Models:28
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, HPI, Ignition, Spark

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

View PostRust-MyEnemy, on 15 February 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

It's the lack of panel gaps more than anything else that kills resins stone dead for me. That and the way that 90% of the cars I'm interested have no detailing to any side pillars (apart from the first and last) and windows made from the same film that Bburago use for windows in the boxes that their £20 diecast models come in.
To me, a sealed model is like a book that you can't open and read the words.

Wonderful analogy! 1000X this. The terrible window film irritates me even more than the lack of panel gaps - and that's before we get into the whole discussion about the windows delaminating from the body.

I do have a resin BBR Maserati Levante, but only because I was one of the exterior designers on that project and didn't have the option of a diecast.  The saddest thing is that it isn't even cheap, averaging around $300.

Disclaimer: I collect mostly in 1:43 to save space and money (and because sometimes the 1:43s are more accurate than anything I can find in 1:18), so I have to contend with sealed resin being the go-to if I want a nicely detailed model.  When dealing with a scale that small, I have to admit I'd rather have a sealed body than huge panel gaps and loss of accuracy for the sake of a few opening parts.

Having said that, with AutoArt releasing things like the crazy detailed Countach 5000S and McLaren F1 in 1:43 diecast with billionaire doors and everything at very reasonable prices, the biggest irony would be if we start seeing opening parts make their way into 1:43 models as they become harder to find in 1:18.  Could just be wishful thinking though...

But yeah, for 1:18s it's diecast or bust.

#34 OFFLINE   Ztune

Ztune

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Photography, motorsports, watersports, exercising, healthcare, economics
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, TSM, HPI

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

I do much prefer the material of diecast as it feels like it will last a lifetime.  About 20% of my collection at present is resin and only because no good alternative diecasts are offered (i.e. my Bentley GT3 race cars, F50 GT, 288 GTO Evo, etc).

As far as the window issue, I do agree that the resin cars are flimsy (physically) and much more fragile than in diecast cars, but I think they are a lot more realistic.  They're incredibly thin and likely more realistic in-scale considering it compared to the diecast, which have very thick windows.  The light reflectivity on my resin models windows look way more realistic imo.  The panel gaps are simulated and very fine lines and what a 1/18 panel gap should look like unlike most diecast which are gigantic by comparison and look completely out of scale.

My only issue with resin so far is that it's so new we're not sure how it will hold up longterm (20+ years).  I'm hoping they last, but we'll see.  If/when a diecast company steps up and provides a good alternative to the resins I have, I'll convert them over.

Edited by Ztune, 04 March 2017 - 08:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use