StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,905 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

It is with a heavy heart that I announce my departure from this hobby. After much deliberating and soul searching, I decided it was no longer financially feasible for me to continue. Buying a new car doubled my debt and put further pressure on such life goals as proposing to my girlfriend, and paying off my student debt, not to mention buying a house. I spent $11000 CAD on models in 2016. That is insane. I realized that if I continue collecting, I'll never get things done. Models are more expensive than ever and keep coming thick and fast. I buy one, and miss out on 3 others. It's a constant game of "shrink the wish list as it grows". I'm going back to iRacing to satisfy my carlust. I'll be selling around 90 models, and hopefully it'll be okay to make a thread without outlining details for each model.

I had a good time here and it was good while it lasted. See y'all around!

Wes
Wes

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   rodolfo

rodolfo

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 951 posts
  • Favorite Brands:All of them...
  • Proud Citizen of: mx

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

Good luck with your new endeavors...
"Un fin de semana sin carreras...es un fin de semana perdido" [A weekend without racing...is a lost weekend]... Pedro Rodriguez

#3 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: pk

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

:omg: :omg: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Wes, while I respect your decision, I am very saddened on learning about it :bawling: I agree with you that this is an expensive hobby and for people like us who demand high quality the expense only goes up. However, can I ask why you are quitting completely by selling off your entire collection? Surely you can keep the best pieces or those that are your favorites. Pick a number - 5, 10, 20, etc models and keep those. Or have you completely lost all interest and fascination with diecast?

If you keep some of your models at least you can come back to the hobby any time without having to spend even more time and money re-acquiring the good models.

So, in conclusion let me say I hope you stay, but if your decision is final, then godspeed my friend, you were an amazing member of the community :rock:  and an inspiration to me. May the winds of good fortune always blow in your favor :occasion14:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,042 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:41 PM

Forgive me for mixing metaphors Wesley but life is a rich tapestry - and all credit to you for putting things in perspective so you can move to pastures new!  :danke:
Wishing you and your gal all the best in your new adventures, and thank you for the years of sharing your enjoyment of the hobby with us with such enthusiasm! :occasion14:
Remember, if you feel the need, you will always be welcome at DX! :rock:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5,725 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

I didnt see this coming! Its an expensive hobby for sure, my wishlist keeps getting bigger too and its hard to continue buying each interestig model that comes out...I wish you the best and take care!

#6 OFFLINE   Haromaster

Haromaster

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Vw, Porsche, Audi, BMW. 80s BMX , 80s alt music and industrial, of course diecast / resin models.
  • Number of Models:100+
  • Favorite Brands:Cmc, AUTOart, Amalgam, GT Spirit, Ottomobile

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

not gonna say by.....you'll be back...... :danke:

Edited by Haromaster, 15 February 2017 - 06:27 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   ///M meister

///M meister

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,048 posts
  • Interests:Cars, BMW, F1, New England Patriots, TV, Pop! Vinyls, Star Wars.
  • Number of Models:Not enough
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit, OttOmobile, HWE, Welly

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

Goodbye Wes, you are an outstanding guy here and you will be missed for sure. I understand what you are saying, the model game is getting tougher to enjoy by the day, the prices for even average models is getting ridiculous. Good luck with your future, and enjoy that lovely Toyota!

Tom :occasion14:

TOM

My 1:18 road car collection:
http://www.diecastxc...ers-collection/

#8 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Interests:1/18 scale die cast, collecting and customizing.
  • Favorite Brands:Racers
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

This hobby is a cruel mistress. I can see how kids like Wes (and this Board is overly populated with others like him - and I mean no disrespect to anyone here), and you all will be facing similar decisions, and I applaud Wes for his maturity. It is clear he will make a great husband, an honorable husband, a responsible father (Wes, it's inevitable), and an admirable role model.

I entered this hobby near the end of my second marriage, with my only son in college, and with a six-figure salary. Those elements have allowed me to enjoy this hobby without it encumbering me, my family, or my lifestyle.

Wes, as pointed out above, will return. Might not be soon, but our love for these representatives of our deep-seated interest in things mechanical have a way of attaching themselves to our souls.

Godspeed Wes, you are my new hero!
Threadkiller

Crowded Elevator smell differently to Blind Midget.

It's just there so I won't get banned.

No sé donde estaré mañana.

#9 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 7,714 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:14 PM

WOW! Every time that I read  a similar statement it really makes  me reevaluate how much model cars impact my life..actually more often daily, I think, "sell it all and buy that 1/1 GT3"..but I know that if i do that I will regret it.  :rolleyes: ..because these things bring me more joy than a real car  with hobby eating running costs :bawling:

Wes, I don't know what to say besides I hope that you'll at least stay a part of this board and comment as much as you do! You will really be missed :eusa_clap:  I'm not in your shoes and can't see it from your perspective, but best wishes and much success in your future! :nice:  CHEERS to an OUTSTANDING run here on DX!...Take Care! :eusa_clap: :yahoo: :eusa_clap:  :occasion14:
Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below :occasion14:

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#10 OFFLINE   Floper54

Floper54

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • Number of Models:400+
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Autoart, GMP, Minichamps,.....
  • Proud Citizen of: fr

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:47 PM

This hobby is expensive but if you know how and what to buy, you can't loose money...

With my business experience with real cars and diecast models, collecting modelcars is a better idea than buying a brand new 1/1 car.
Spend 30K $ for a new car, 3 years later your car is worth 50 % of that money...  not a good investment IMHO

Anyway, Thank you for the years on DX, as a friend and a great member.  I wish you all the best :occasion14:
My 1/18 collection : 400+ models http://www.diecastxc...118-collection/

#11 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,905 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:09 PM

View PostUzair, on 15 February 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

Thanks for the kind words Uzair. Maybe I'll keep a couple :occasion14:

View Postmairandeddy, on 15 February 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

Thanks Eddy. I'll be around I think

View Postironsim, on 15 February 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

I didnt see this coming! Its an expensive hobby for sure, my wishlist keeps getting bigger too and its hard to continue buying each interestig model that comes out...I wish you the best and take care!

Yeah that's the problem and it's just becoming unbearable. New models are like bills that I have to factor into every paycheck and it's adding to anxiety. Thank you!

View PostHaromaster, on 15 February 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

not gonna say by.....you'll be back...... :danke:

:nice:

View Post///M meister, on 15 February 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

Thank you, been driving the crap out of it!

View Postibj40, on 15 February 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

Thanks so much, means a lot to hear that! I hope I'm doing the right thing. It feels sad but I feel like it is the right thing to do.

View PostD N, on 15 February 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

Thanks for having me! Cheers and I'll be sure to visit

View PostFloper54, on 15 February 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

Thank you!
Wes

#12 ONLINE   winstoncds

winstoncds

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,901 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Ebbro IXO
  • Proud Citizen of: in

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

I was just going through your 'for sale' thread and you have so many gems in your collection. I guess it would be very hard to go cold turkey in this hobby. I suggest you keep some models that you have spent time and labor to make them a little bit more extraordinary. There is a definitely a kick in getting money in exchange of models and more so when they have appreciated in value and I don't think any part of your collection would have lost their sheen.
All the best in your future endeavours and don't be a stranger. it was always nice going through your threads and posts.
I know Kung-fu
Posted Image
and 50 other such dangerous words.

#13 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,905 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

View Postwinstoncds, on 15 February 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

Thank you, yes I'll be looking to get a little extra for my effort, although not too much. Some of the parts are pretty cheap. I dont really put a price on my time, it's all fun. I know what you mean about the kick, but that kick is doubled when I use this money to close all my credit cards and free up $500 of income per month!
Wes

#14 ONLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9,019 posts
  • Number of Models:350+
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART Highway 61 Hot Wheels Elite Ertl Authentics

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:34 PM

Good for you, sell every single one and get the most money you can for all of them. That is quite a list of responsibilities you have there. House, Car, Wedding, Paying the bills. Yep those are all way more important than any single model. You have a good collection with 90 cars like that you should get a five figure chunk of change easy. Then when the time is right some time down the road you can get back in. But for now, have no regrets and sell em all, that is totally the right choice based on your situation. I have slowed WAY down myself and I am enjoying some extra funds for other stuff. Wife and I are planning a vacay soon. If this is it for you around here, than peace out, I enjoyed getting to know you and I probably have a model or 2 in my collection based on your reviews of past models.

PS I knew I should have started an office pool here, for "When will Wes sell it all?"  I must say you part with great models more easily than any collector I have ever seen on here. I am not really surprised you are doing this. But I am certain you are doing it for the right reasons, again good for you!

Feel free to View My Collection Thread
http://www.diecastxc...and-collection/

It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates! Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Favorite Brands:. . .
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

I am sorry to see you leave, but since I am in the same boat as you (want to buy a house, want to buy a new car but not willing to sell two old ones), I do understand why you are leaving. As much as we all like models, we have to be real. There are somethings that are way more important then models. So, good luck and all the best! :)

#16 OFFLINE   ssiddi2

ssiddi2

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:27 AM

man its sad to hear this.  i've always admired your collection.  i still don't understand people's decision to depart this hobby entirely.  just narrow the focus to a set number of models.  i realize its easier said than done, but you don't have to keep expanding.  i applaud your efforts to prioritize other things in life though.

#17 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,296 posts
  • Interests:Family. Diecast. LFC. Movies. Top Gear UK.
  • Favorite Brands:If its a Porsche... It'll do me!!
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:37 AM

Sad to see you go Wes, Your a top bloke and I wish you well for what ever the future brings you buddy.

I've got you on FB, So I am sure we will chat again at some point.

Take care my friend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

#18 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 955 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, GT Spirit

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:47 AM

It'll be sad to see you leave, Wes and all your great updates. I've been kind of living my CMC dreams through you and a few other members here - whilst I don't really care for most classic cars, the level of quality and detail that CMC brings to the table is mind blowing....but also out of my current budget, so thanks for all your awesome pics on those gems!
I hope you do get to keep a few and at least display on your desk or mantelpiece etc.to serve as some sort of reminder of all the good times you've had in the hobby. As a 26 year old who got married 4 years ago whilst in university and is about to have his second child any second, I truly appreciate where you're coming from. I sold about 150 models to clear a credit card debt and have been selling off small batches of models ever since to constantly refine my collection and free up funds and whilst I've often thought of quitting the hobby completely, I'm a true believer that every guy needs some sort of hobby that he can turn to just to get away from the daily struggles and model cars does that for me - I enjoy writing the reviews and seeing what everyone else is buying (although not without jealousy at times).

Thanks for all your input here and elsewhere and hope to see you around! :rock:
Please check out my collection thread HERE

#19 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,813 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:56 AM

Best of luck with your future endeavours Wes!! You've been a real diamond round here and you have a great collection, but I hear you! I'm sure one day you'll be back though! :hope:

All the best!! :occasion14:

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#20 OFFLINE   Doc

Doc

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 247 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:05 AM

I can understand exactly what you're going through. I feel the same sometimes myself and my collection has no Exoto or CMC in it. I always tell my wife that this is such a niche market, as much as I want to buy everything I like, I think about after getting it and tying up so much money into a model that starts to decrease in value (usually).

I've seen car stores opening up and closing down, unless the store sells their cars completely overpriced and absurd or its only open a couple of hours by appointment only, they can't stay viable and after a few months they're gone.

In any case, good luck to you and your future plans :occasion14: and all the best!
Check out more of my collection here www.salosix.com

#21 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 767 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:37 AM

Wow, that's a big old step back.  Honestly, 86s don't cost that much to run!  :giggle:

Seriously though, I know DX will be poorer without all your contributions and it's been fascinating watching your collection evolve, as well as drooling at all the high-end beauties that your postman has delivered!  Best of luck with everything, I hope you'll stick around here, and that one day you'll be in a position to get back into the hobby. :occasion14:

Posted Image

*** Collection thread updated 6th Feb (Sun Star Peugeot 207 S2000) ***

#22 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: no

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:39 AM

Ah, dood.

Well, like Haromaster I dont think you are really leaving. :) The next age of opening models will bring you back.

#23 OFFLINE   smsr725

smsr725

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Paudi
  • Proud Citizen of: bd

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:42 AM

The amount of passion i have seen in you regarding this hobby, i simply envied you. So finding you leaving i could not but make the effort to retrieve my password, restart this account and echo with many other good souls here... that i will miss your presence. It will be just simply too great if we see you keep sharing your remarks, adding your views even if you decide to stop collecting. But then again, life is yours, and so are the priorities ... whatever be it, i will wish you all the very best mate.

#24 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Interests:European patent prosecution
  • Favorite Brands:no favorite
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:23 AM

All the best!
Feel free to have a look of my collection on DX.
http://www.diecastxc...dels-kyosho-m5/

#25 OFFLINE   the1

the1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 621 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: ro

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:40 AM

This is the saddest news of the decade. I wish you the best of luck in your life and may all your plans come true (house, proposal...). And maybe one day you will be able to come back to the hobby and collector community.
'Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.'
Steve McQueen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use