wackygt

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Number of Models:23
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Hotwheels Elite, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

I may not have got to know you as well as many members here have, however I have witnessed how much you have contributed to this community and how many people you have helped along the way. You will sorely missed and I hope you are able to stay in touch with the hobby in one form or another.

All the best to you and Mrs Wes - and I hope you enjoy Iracing!

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#52 OFFLINE   118supercars

118supercars

• DX Moderator
  • Pip
  • 4,743 posts
  • Interests:Cars, photography, nature/outdoors.
  • Number of Models:60
  • Favorite Brands:none
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:08 PM

I'll miss you Wes, thank you for all of your outstanding contributions to DX and also getting me good deals on the models that you sold me.  Knowing where and where not to put your money and time, very respectable :occasion14:
Posted Image

#53 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,850 posts
  • Number of Models:86
  • Favorite Brands:CMC and Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

Thanks guys :)
Wes

#54 OFFLINE   schuifelhoofd

schuifelhoofd

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4,941 posts
  • Interests:Too much & not enough time
  • Number of Models:+220
  • Favorite Brands:Ertl, AW, AUTOart, Highway61.....
  • Proud Citizen of:be

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:39 PM

Wes, i totally understand your decision. House, kid, and two 1:1 cars in 2016 has put (sorta of) a stop on my collecting too.
For the moment, i do not actively seek for models (a rare few exceptions), I only buy something when opportunity knocks,
or i just stumble on something i just can't walk away from.

Try to shrink/sell your collection the the bare minimum, and maybe start a fresh / more focussed in due time.
With such a history like yours, it's a shame your long time efforts are given up completely.

Any way you choose, good luck on your future endeavors   :occasion14:

Sven's collection on DX
Sven's collectors registry (got list) on Scale18

#55 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,850 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

Thanks! But I've shrunken and refocused my collection several times now and it's still too much of a financial burden. I also decided to either go all the way in or all the way out. Considering the average home price in toronto is now at 800K+, I just can't afford a hobby this expensive anymore.
Wes

#56 ONLINE   Arnage

Arnage

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart, Exoto

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

If you don't already make sure you follow Garth's blog before plunging in GTA real estate at this time: http://www.greaterfool.ca

#57 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,675 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:53 PM

Wow...I did not see this coming but I think you have made the right decision and a wise one too. I agree this hobby can be a financial burden all together sometimes as it is getting more expensive and it is hard to catch up with...our wish lists keep growing and we keep promising our wallet "this is the last model to buy". And sometimes it has become an addiction rather than enjoyment as we keep buying and don't know how to stop to enjoy the ones we already have. You are very brave man as you know when to quit. Hope you the best with your wedding, and your future endeaver. You really have set a reminder for me to be mindful of my spending on this expensive hobby. I hope to see you around, Wes! Take good care and stay healthy!

Edited by blieu118, 21 February 2017 - 07:55 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,850 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

Thank you, see you around :occasion14:
Wes

#59 OFFLINE   mazspd3jase

mazspd3jase

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Cars, billiards, bowling, the outdoors
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit/Otto, Norev, Welly/Welly FX, Minichamps, & yes even Bburago/Maisto

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

so much the same boat.  I have just backed off and narrowing to VERY specifics has worked for me.  That being said, its been months since I bought anything new and I've been ok with it.  The money i would have spent on models has gone into the "buy a 997 after grad school as present for earning my MA" has become my goal.  I will continue to add a very few select brands but decided they must be completely new models and not replicate anything currently in my collection.  Thankfully, the big show only added a few to the list for me thus far.

At any rate, sad to see another great collector exit based on the whole extreme cost of the hobby...but your goals for marriage and a house are much better long term goals than model cars for sure!  Best of luck man and hope you at least stay on the boards!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use