1:18 Hot Wheels Ferrari FF vs Hot Wheels Elite Ferrari FF

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sir Arun

Sir Arun

• DX Community
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, MTG, 40k, PC gaming, movies, music, political squabbling, history & astronomy
  • Number of Models:~50 1/24, ~20 1/18s, 10+ 1/30somethings.
  • Favorite Brands:Welly
  • Proud Citizen of:at

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

This thead is here to give you a good idea whether you should pay double price for a Hot Wheels Elite, or get a Hot Wheels foundation for half price.

Here, I am comparing an approx $45 1/18 Hot Wheels (foundation/heritage) Ferrari FF to an approx. $90 1/18 Hot Wheels Elite Ferrari FF.

See for yourself (TOP: HOT WHEELS; BOTTOM: HOT WHEELS ELITE)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Attention, the first pic shows the interior of the black HWF Ferrari FF, which has red seats. The red FF has an all black interior:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Conclusion: For double the price, you get half-raised door window panels on the Hot Wheels Elite, more expensive looking rims, perforated grill on the exterior vents, a thinner looking front grill due to black paint, a painted interior, a hood that opens with a detailed engine, a trunk that opens, defroster on the rear windshield, a Ferrari FF license plate on the back, and, if you look closely, slightly different (more detailed) tail lights with accents as well.

Here's where things get even more obvious: in most places you cannot buy the HWF Ferrari FF for just $45. Usually they sell in the 50s, meaning they are more than just half the price. Therefore, I can only recommend to get the Hot Wheels Elite, because you're getting so many more features for just 30something more bucks.

One small catch, though: Given that this HWE does not have carpeting, and if you're a guy who paints miniatures and therefore has paints in his house, you could buy the HWF, take it apart, paint the interior to look like the HWE, put it back together, and then you'd only have to contend with a hood and trunk that dont open, no window panel glass, no defroster, and no perforated grills. In such a case it's your call which version you want to buy, though keep in mind that painting is a lot of work, especially because beige requires several thin coats to look good, and you'll still not have a "Ferrari" and "FF" badge on the dashboard and rear license plate.

Edited by Sir Arun, 19 March 2017 - 11:54 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

The Elite is clearly worth it, I dont have this model but Its in the best HWEs for sure!

#3 OFFLINE   JohnBR99

JohnBR99

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 180 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart,Kyosho,BBR
  • Proud Citizen of:br

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

I Agree with ironsim, I had the Blue FF, Not only is One of, if not the Best HWE ever made, the Blue Paintjob pays for itself, is by far the best paint on any Hot Wheels model, and one of the best metallic effects i've ever seen in a model car

Attached Files

#4 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Interests:European patent prosecution
  • Favorite Brands:no favorite
  • Proud Citizen of:nl

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for another good comparison.

HWE for sure. In fact, I almost dare to say, whenever there is a HWE versus Hot Wheels(F) versus Bburago versus Maisto comparison for a similar 1:18 Ferrari model. HWE is the only model for which the value will not depreciate!
Even the worst HWE models (i.e the first HWE's) like the 360 Modena. 550 Barchetta, 575M, F50 will hold their values, simply because they are the best possible 1:18 models you can find for the respective 1:1 cars.

And there are just too many Bburago, Maisto Ferrari's, so their value will never go up.

Edited by ferrariforever, 19 March 2017 - 03:29 PM.

Feel free to have a look of my collection on DX.
http://www.diecastxc...dels-kyosho-m5/

#5 OFFLINE   Red_Baron

Red_Baron

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, AUTOart, Maisto, HWE, Welly
  • Proud Citizen of:my

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

Not sure if this is a troll review or somebody just copy pasted their school homework here.

Instead of actual side by side pics of two similar models owned, what it appear to be here are pictures from the internet and a write up literally of "spot the difference". I mean, anybody can do that right?

Edited by Red_Baron, 19 March 2017 - 03:38 PM.

If you see me bombing loads of pics on a thread, DO NOT QUOTE THE POST

Posted Image Posted Image
<< RUN!

#6 OFFLINE   Rust-MyEnemy

Rust-MyEnemy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Unbelievably...Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of:uk

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:54 PM

You know, the idea of 'graduated' versions of models really annoys me, and is something I've never really understood.

Yeah, I know, some people would rather have a cut-price opportunity to feature a certain car in their collection, but it all smacks a little of blatant profiteering to me.

It's like an excellent restaurant that serves a £80 Lasagne, but will sell you a £55 version with sandpaper instead of pasta.

#7 OFFLINE   Sir Arun

Sir Arun

• DX Community
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, MTG, 40k, PC gaming, movies, music, political squabbling, history & astronomy

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

View PostRed_Baron, on 19 March 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

snip

If there has already been a thread comparing these two in the past, I apologize for my spam. If there hasn't, this thread title will pop up in future google searches and might help people be made aware without having to do the research themselves. Your arbitrarily set standard of "you have to own something to talk about it" is irrelevant in either case.

View PostRust-MyEnemy, on 19 March 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

You know, the idea of 'graduated' versions of models really annoys me, and is something I've never really understood.

Yeah, I know, some people would rather have a cut-price opportunity to feature a certain car in their collection, but it all smacks a little of blatant profiteering to me.

It's like an excellent restaurant that serves a £80 Lasagne, but will sell you a £55 version with sandpaper instead of pasta.

What if there's an even more excellent restaurant that serves a £300 Lasagne and calls itself BBR? :) Different people have different limits. Some choose not to collect at all, like the "normal people" I have trouble explaining my hobby to, who think a toy car is a toy car regardless if it's a 1/24 walmart maisto or a 1/18 Exoto prototype.

Bburago has picked up the 2 version game with their Signature series, and Maisto is doing that with their Special Edition as well: offer more detail for those who have bigger budgets. Hot Wheels decided to do the opposite and in both cases it helps the customer because he has more choice, especially considering the HWEs are only appreciating in price, so it sucks for all the newcomers to start collecting them compared to people who invested wisely years ago.

Edited by Sir Arun, 19 March 2017 - 05:02 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Red_Baron

Red_Baron

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, AUTOart, Maisto, HWE, Welly
  • Proud Citizen of:my

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:15 AM

View PostSir Arun, on 19 March 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

snip

If there has already been a thread comparing these two in the past, I apologize for my spam. If there hasn't, this thread title will pop up in future google searches and might help people be made aware without having to do the research themselves. Your arbitrarily set standard of "you have to own something to talk about it" is irrelevant in either case.

U are clearly not understanding the purpose of this sub-forum. Look at all the other topics posted here and compare them with yours.
If you're just gonna take every single pic from sellers on the internet (and not giving credit at all) and literally write a comparison of what you see from the pics, even I can do that. Heck even a 12 year old can do that.

Anyone can take pics of the internet and compare them, its what makes your review different, not a googled pic and an obvious comparison based on what you see in the photos. Just my 2 cents. :twocents:

Examples of good comparison threads
http://www.diecastxc...lly-vs-autoart/
http://www.diecastxc...rcedes-sls-amg/
http://www.diecastxc...toart-vs-welly/
If you see me bombing loads of pics on a thread, DO NOT QUOTE THE POST

Posted Image Posted Image
<< RUN!

#9 OFFLINE   Rust-MyEnemy

Rust-MyEnemy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:46 AM

View PostSir Arun, on 19 March 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

snip

View PostRust-MyEnemy, on 19 March 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

What if there's an even more excellent restaurant that serves a £300 Lasagne and calls itself BBR? :) Different people have different limits. Some choose not to collect at all, like the "normal people" I have trouble explaining my hobby to, who think a toy car is a toy car regardless if it's a 1/24 walmart maisto or a 1/18 Exoto prototype.

Bburago has picked up the 2 version game with their Signature series, and Maisto is doing that with their Special Edition as well: offer more detail for those who have bigger budgets. Hot Wheels decided to do the opposite and in both cases it helps the customer because he has more choice, especially considering the HWEs are only appreciating in price, so it sucks for all the newcomers to start collecting them compared to people who invested wisely years ago.

OK, perhaps my Lasagne metaphor was no good, because there might be a better Lasagne out there at a different restaurant. My point was, though, that the restaurant was reducing the price point of a really good Lasagne by putting rubbish ingredients in it, but they're still happy to serve it to diners.

You wouldn't buy a copy of a book with the last chapter missing, just because it was cheaper. You wouldn't justify it by saying "I only want a vague idea of what's going on".

I've got very little disposable income, but I wanted a 1:18 Ferrari Mondial. I saved up and bought the best model of it that I could find, even though I couldn't really afford it. It was an HWE. I could have bought the Foundation, but what would be the point of that? Who collects models on the basis of cost?

If CMC made a really first class model of a car I really loved, I'd save up and buy it. If they offered a cut-price version with half the detail, I'd not only not buy it but it would probably put me off the brand.

Aside from a few AUTOarts, the majority of my model collection is from budget brands, but only because nobody else made a better model of the subject at the time.

By selling decontented models, Mattel is serving the "I don't really care what I'm buying" market.

#10 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music/Drums, Things that move, Diecast.
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61/Kyosho/Pocher/Ertl..etc.
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

I took a few side by side pics of the F12, the one one I have in both versions with the thought of doing this very thing.  Though I didn't really think it was needed and the pics weren't that amazing; that said, it is good to see both a reminder and a way of showing those who don't know.  The Elite will always be the way to go, but sadly as already stated..comes off as a bit elitist as they were/are  so over priced just for the all the little details you would want..like an opening engine bonnet or an engine period lol. Especially here in Canada with the foundations ones still going for 70-80 which is what I paid for the lower end F12 at a car show that summer..but liked the car so much and saw how much more detailed the elite version (thanks to someone here) that I had to get the elite version even with the double price tag.

Edited by colourkin22, 20 March 2017 - 09:44 AM.

Posted Image
Full Collection @ http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/59177-colourkins-collection/

#11 OFFLINE   Sir Arun

Sir Arun

• DX Community
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

View PostRust-MyEnemy, on 20 March 2017 - 03:46 AM, said:

Who collects models on the basis of cost?

If CMC made a really first class model of a car I really loved, I'd save up and buy it. If they offered a cut-price version with half the detail, I'd not only not buy it but it would probably put me off the brand.

By selling decontented models, Mattel is serving the "I don't really care what I'm buying" market.

So trying to follow your train of thought, assuming you wanted to get the FF, does this mean you are put off by the Elite and would immediately go for the Super Elite that costs roughly twice the price? There's a good comparison video of the Elite and Super Elite FF on Youtube. Or do you go for the budget version in such a situation, which would be the Elite?

Edited by Sir Arun, 20 March 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Rust-MyEnemy

Rust-MyEnemy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

View PostSir Arun, on 20 March 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

So trying to follow your train of thought, assuming you wanted to get the FF, does this mean you are put off by the Elite and would immediately go for the Super Elite that costs roughly twice the price?

If it's significantly better, and I really, really wanted an FF then yes. Either that or I wouldn't buy any of them.

Edited by Rust-MyEnemy, 20 March 2017 - 01:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use