DiecastXchange Forum banner

Amount of plastic in high-end models (CMC, Exoto XS)

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Uzair 
#1 ·
I always thought CMC's high end models (such as the Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR, Maserati Tipo 61, Maserati 300S, Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, and the Ferrari 312P) and all of the models in Exoto's XS lineup had full-metal engines, with no plastic. Now however I suspect they may have some plastic, even on the larger parts such as the engine block or the intake header on the 300 SLR. The parts that look like metal the most are the shiny pipes or intake trumpets (such as on the 250 TR or the Maseratis).

As for Exoto, a look at my Exoto 156 Sharknose indicates to me that some of the parts at the front, such as the pipes leading to the radiator, are plastic. I can't say for sure however about the engine, especially its block, being metal or plastic.

What do you guys think? How much plastic is there in the CMC models above and Exoto's 246 F1, 156 sharknose, 159 Alfetta, and especially the Jaguar D-type? I admit I will be disappointed if I learn the ultra-sharply cast parts in the interior of these XS models (especially in the engine) are simply plastic!

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have to say, I'm not bothered so much. If they look good to me, they can be made of whatever they like, this still cuts it and (and in my opinion) is one of the best 1/18 engines in a model car..

CMC 300 SLR

and from Exoto the Jaguar D Type,

I don't have any complaints there.

Pictures taken from threads on here, the last one's from the internet.

#5 ·
I have to say, I'm not bothered so much. If they look good to me, they can be made of whatever they like, this still cuts it and (and in my opinion) is one of the best 1/18 engines in a model car.
I'm with you Craig, if the engines look as good and as detailed as the photos you posted, does it really matter what material it is fabricated from?

#3 ·
What Craig said...

If it looks good, it shouldn't matter what its made of!

Every model has parts made of plastic. Some manufacturers use more than others.
CMC uses a large amount too...
I honestly hope you don't believe that CMC engines are made of metal!
CMC engines are largely over 90% plastic. the only metal you see on them are the PE parts, bolts, rivets, a few assorted parts and a few fasteners.

If you're into modifying scale models, you quickly learn that metal forms a minority of the parts used to make a model (largely used only for the external body panels).
CMC is among the very few companies that are proud of the fact that they use a lot of different types of metals in their builds... but then again, those are restricted to the body panels, the wiring and the numerous PE parts.

So as a collector it shouldn't matter to you which parts are metal and which are plastic. If you're convinced the parts look real... end of story.
If this however did bother you, this hobby would seize to be fun and become more of a stress inducer.

#6 ·
I'm sorry if this is out of place here, but reading these replies makes me question, why if the plastic were on the exterior body panels then the response is 180 degree backward? I'm not trying to bring up the endless debate about a particular brand here, but I honestly just couldn't understand.

My answer to this topic is the same as the other response above, as long as it looks good then it doesn't matter. Engine, interior, exterior, anywhere on the model.

#8 ·
Thank you everyone for your kind replies and opinion
Yes, I was naive enough to assume that CMC's models used mostly metal in the engines, including the engine block. It was Wes who first had me think otherwise a few days ago, and then I quickly discovered that even in Exoto's XS models the guts inside the metal outer body may be more plastic and less metal than I had imagined. That lead to me making this thread. Oh well, I now know that there are NO 1/18 manufacturers with detailed full metal engines, so I can't complain. Yes, CMC and Exoto still do a smashing job on the engines, they look darn close to the real thing. The 300 SLR and Jaguar D-Type photos you posted Craig could well be mistaken for photos of the 1:1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.