Is Schuco Porsche 550 worth it vs Maisto's?

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smsr725

smsr725

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Paudi
  • Proud Citizen of:bd

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:58 PM

I already have the Prosche 550 by Maisto and still believe it's one of the very best Maistos ever. Can you share your opinion about the Schuco one?

Edited by smsr725, 19 April 2017 - 10:58 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   baseb8

baseb8

• DX Community
  • 30 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, GT Spirit, Otto, Welly, UT, Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:41 AM

These threads have comparable pics:
Schuco - http://www.diecastso...che-550-spyder/
Maisto - http://www.diecastso...c.php?f=36&t=64

The schuco is definitely better; crisper lines, sharper details, smoother paint, photoetch badges, no doglegs, better engine and exhaust. Is it worth 5 x the price of the maisto? Depends how much you like the car.
One thing the review notes is that the Schuco is smaller than the Maisto, so one of them is definitely the wrong scale which is probably the worst thing.

#3 OFFLINE   smsr725

smsr725

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Paudi
  • Proud Citizen of:bd

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:23 AM

Hey Thanks.. but is it really crisp? I do notice finer details, but the fact that its smaller and made of very heavy metal makes me think the shut lines are not that fine and since in a 550 the engine size and chamber beneath the boot is minimalist, i am wondering what additional extra can schuco throw in. Hence would be great to have a schuco vs Maisto side by side comparison.. i reckon.

Porsche 550 is such a model, and wouldn't mind spending a bit more on the piece. Noticed the roll cages... looks neat. But yeah, if scale is off then that would be a true disappointment.

Makes me now wonder how the Schuco, Maisto and Autoart fair up against each other.

#4 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,813 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:30 AM

A lot of the Schuco ones seem to have QC problems, and lots have paint rash (Blue ones seem to prone to it right out of the box) :dunno:

I don't have one as I have a Maisto race car which suits me, but if you really like it, I'd get one - but do ask the seller to inspect it thoroughly though before buying!

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#5 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:no

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:57 AM

I think the first batch was littered with issues, and then they fixed it in the second batch.

#6 OFFLINE   Arnage

Arnage

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 195 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted Yesterday, 08:16 AM

View Postlateapex, on 20 April 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

I think the first batch was littered with issues, and then they fixed it in the second batch.

Correct the issues were fixed on the second batch. It's a great piece and I would recommend it but be very careful with PE badges that are very fragile and fell off easily.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Autobahn

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use