#1 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 650 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

New acquisition arrived today. It's a budget model of a luxury car. Usually that doen't quite work in 1/18 scale. This model is no exception. I really wanted the Porsche 911 Turbo Typ 930 3.3 by AUTOart. And nearly bought a black one for a £100 from Modelzone during their closing down sale. But I dithered and missed the chance. Now the AUTOart 930 have hit classic status and like the real thing, you need to be a rich collector to own one today. There are alternatives of course. The Norev Porsche 911 Turbo 930 3.3 looks a very fine model for the money. Except when it's put alongside the AUTOart. And then the high profile tyres of the Norev make it look like an off roader compared to the squat hunkered down looks of the gorgeous AUTOart. So Wellwhat about the Porsche 911 Turbo 964 by Welly? It's even cheaper than the Norev and the latest release doesn't have the unslightly headlamps stubs.

For a model that costs as little as £30 it's seems a bargain. Having just bought Welly's splendid 930 Turbo in 1/24  scale (my opinions are here: http://www.diecastxc...-934-turbo-rsr/ ), I was hoping for an inexpensive model with the same impact.

But the difference between Welly's 1/24 scale Porsche 911 Turbo and ther 1/18 scale 911 Turbo is apparent the moment you handle the model.

Attached Files

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,214 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

One of my favorite cars ever,  love the 964 turbo, went with the GT Spirit amethyst purple version but the Welly look really good :10: :eusa_clap: very nice add buddy...heres mine if you dont mind :occasion14:

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

The Welly 964 Turbo looks perfectly presentable in the showcase behind the glass, but pick up the model and the cheapness of the model shows. The rear lens strip looks too shiny, the paint seems thinner, the interior too spartan, the chassis too basic, the disc rotors too plastic.And worst of all, the signature "turbo" scriipt on the rear trunk is missing. The omission makes a surprising difference. On the other hand, I paid so little for this model, I wasn't expecting it to be amazing, and I love that I have another Porsche 911 Turbo in the 1/18 garage. But I'm going to have detail up this model quite a bit to make it worthy to sit alongside the AUTOart and Kyosho Ferraris and Lamborghinis in my current 1/18 scale garage. But if I really want a model that looks and feels like a Porsche 911 Turbo should, I'm going to have save up (or sell other models) to pay for the AUTOart. To all those who have one, you are very very lucky. To those who don't, th'sis isn't a bad model and is a bargain for the price. And it's an old tool, so perhaps I'm being too harsh. But in my opinion, Welly's best Porsche 911 Turbo is in 1/24 scale

Edited by kitefighter, 28 April 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

Okay Ironism - I've just seen your Porsche 964 by GT spirit and am seriously impressed. Your picture illustrates the very point I'm making. Just look at depth of tint and detail the rear light strip on your GT Spirit 964 Turbo. In comparison, the Welly has a sort of toy like quality. Also, look at the etched "turbo" lettering on the rear engine lid. It makes such a difference. Gorgeous colour too. More pictures please.

#5 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

The 911 Turbo typ 997.2 by Norev is a little better than the Welly 964. It's striking Porsche factory cobalt blue metallic paint is it's best point and the model stands out on the show case because of it. Unlike the Welly, Norev have made a nicely weighted model here that is pleasing to handle.

It is somewhat let down by cheaper component detailing, such as the thin tint on the rear light lenses, the plastic disc brakes (I would love to repaint them in carbon), the lack of interior flocking and the open door windows. Even Welly's cheaper 964 has door windows.

Attached Files

#6 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

Having said that, it is a mid to low budget model with inevitable compromises and lack of detailing compared to the AUTOart Porsche 911 996. So for the price, I'm please with the model and will add some detailing at a later date such as badging, flocking, painting the discs and adding side windows. Or maybe I'll replace it with an AUTOart Porsche 911 GT3 if I can fipnd one at a good price. I used to have an AUTOart 911 GT3RS typ 996 and I sold it to pay for the 930 turbo by AUTOart but the prices of high quality diecast models had by then jumped to over £100 which at the time, seemed too expensive. How naieve I was...

Attached Files

#7 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

That blue Norev looks great too ! :10:

#8 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

Since the first post on this thread, I added Porsche emblem badges, gave the front bonnet shutlines a black wash and painted the exhaust  the inside tail pipe black. And then I took pictures of the Welly Porsche 911 in 1/24 scale and the 1/18 scale versions in the same angles, lighting.

Which one do you think looks most realistic?

Attached Files

#9 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

I would say the Welly have better doors shutlines but thats about the only thing that make it look "better", maybe its because black hides details better ;)

#10 OFFLINE   M3d1an

M3d1an

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Automotive history, Prog-rock
  • Number of Models:200
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:ro

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:22 PM

I like them both. Nice make-up.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

#11 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

With credit and respect to the thread below.

http://www.diecastxc.../page__hl__ 964

I have begun work on the Welly Porsche 964 turbo, starting with detailing the wheel nuts and lowering the suspension.

Then giving the rear tail light lens strip and darker "blacked out" backing and touching up the engine belts.

Then turning the car upside down, painting the chassis suspension, engine and exhaust tips. The model is far from complete. Flocking and interior detailing will be next.

Attached Files

#12 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,275 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

The Green 1/24 scale one looks great! I'm really impressed by it and the colour is so cool!

I'll check out the detailing thread of the Black Welly car, I had one a long time ago, but sold it and got a GT Spirit one instead.

Posted Image

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#13 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

Nice work so far, detailing the lug nuts and blacken the tailights really makes a difference!

#14 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:17 AM

View PostCraig, on 19 June 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

The Green 1/24 scale one looks great! I'm really impressed by it and the colour is so cool!

I'll check out the detailing thread of the Black Welly car, I had one a long time ago, but sold it and got a GT Spirit one instead.

The detailing, poise and appearance of the GT Spirit model is far superior to the Welly, as you would expect to be at higher price point. True, it is sealed but the money has then been spent on the interior and exterior  Trying to upscale the Welly reminds of the Bhurago models I used to improve when I was younger and had more time. Lots of fun, but as soon as I had the opportunity to buy a better model I jumped at the chance.

View Postironsim, on 19 June 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

Nice work so far, detailing the lug nuts and blacken the tailights really makes a difference!

Cheers for that. For some strange reason, little details here and there make a difference. But it still feels cheap and light when you handle it. Looks reasonable as shelf queen through the smoked glass of my cabinet and whilst inferior to the Norev 930 turbo (and like a kit car replica compared to the fabulous AUTOart) it still has the drama and hardcore appeal that only a 964 turbo brings to the table.

Here's a nice video to inspire all 964 turbo fans (and the reason I'm trying to improve this model).

https://www.youtube....h?v=hAUbdHw8QG4

Edited by kitefighter, 20 June 2017 - 03:20 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:08 AM

Oh yeah I remember that scene in Bad boys :yahoo:  but its weird to see it in a langage I dont understand lol

#16 OFFLINE   Corso

Corso

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 385 posts
  • Number of Models:85
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:pl

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

Nice mod! :eusa_clap:  I've also modified my Turbo.  It's almost finished. I need to make flock and seat belts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:37 PM

Very nice work Corso. Where did you get the exhaust tail pipes? And how did you paint the front bumper lights clear silver from orange? What other mods did you make?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use