Ebay bidding

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you bid against a fellow DX member (136 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you bid against a fellow DX member

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_Sir Gary_*

Guest_Sir Gary_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:31 PM

Youre watching a car on Ebay which you intend bidding on , then you see a fellow DX member enter a bid for the item  before you enter yours.

What would you do ?

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 Guest_mwrmt_*

Guest_mwrmt_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:42 PM

Normally I won't bid, but if I want it really bad I'd contact fellow member or friend from another Bburago and see what their max bid is. If I'm willing to go higher, I'll wait until either they've met their max or it's getting near the end and I'm not going to be able to watch it finish, then I'll enter my max bid.

All's fair in love and war, but not diecast. :lol

jk. :giggle

#3 OFFLINE   JSB 33

JSB 33

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,664 posts
  • Interests:Family, Cars (1:1 & 1:43) Automotive books, Guns, yard work and gardening
  • Favorite Brands:M/C, Spark, Bizarre
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:46 PM

If I knew I was bidding against Gary I would back down as I wouldn't stand a chance :giggle

And, he is the only person that I know what his ebay name is.
Jeff
"When politicians are arrogant enough to think they can plan and control life better than free people, people suffer."

Posted ImageE Rod_017, on 23 July 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Reason why 1:43 scale cars aren't that popular because most people including me(sorry it I offend) consider them toys and not Collectable model cars. .

Should you collect 1:43?

The Paladin

In my opinion, no if you can afford 1:18 models. First of all, most people will think of them as toys, while 1:18 models can look as something classy if you have a few.

Like things in a smaller scale? Try Scale143
Click on my banner to see my website
Posted Image

#4 Guest_BURN_*

Guest_BURN_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:47 PM

It depends really. If I know that the fellow collector really wishes that item, then I would let it go. But if the two of us are really keen on getting this one... at it is really rare, I would go for it. I would contact him before though. Stating to him that I was really keen on that item too and I was watching it aswell. A simple auction, if he bids before or after you is just personal auction tactic.

#5 Guest_jwp79_*

Guest_jwp79_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:13 PM

This is a theoretical answer as i'm not an Ebayer.

My answer is maybe.

If I was bidding against someone that I knew and 'talked' to alot on DX, I would back down.
However, if it was a member who i didn't know or had any previous contact with, I would bid against them.

:cheers

#6 OFFLINE   LUW

LUW

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps & Ky
  • Proud Citizen of: br

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:16 PM

jwp79, on Apr 3 2005, 07:13 PM, said:

This is a theoretical answer as i'm not an Ebayer.

My answer is maybe.

If I was bidding against someone that I knew and 'talked' to alot on DX, I would back down.
However, if it was a member who i didn't know or had any previous contact with, I would bid against them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with Jim.
Luciano

#7 Guest_Getter 3_*

Guest_Getter 3_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:46 PM

I will outbid & destroy you all.

#8 OFFLINE   LUW

LUW

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps & Ky
  • Proud Citizen of: br

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:52 PM

Souky, let's go easy on the chocolate, shall we?
Luciano

#9 Guest_Getter 3_*

Guest_Getter 3_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

LUW, on Apr 3 2005, 04:52 PM, said:

Souky, let's go easy on the chocolate, shall we?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NO!  And get your own Butterfingers.  This one is mine! Posted Image

#10 Guest_CollectorX_*

Guest_CollectorX_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:06 PM

Generally no, but the situation is important. I have gotten sniped by another member here but it was no big deal. This is a good question though.

#11 Guest_Diecast Patty_*

Guest_Diecast Patty_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:10 PM

Since very few members even use the names they have here for eBay, how would you know who the heck you were bidding against?

Question: How many of you use the names you have here on eBay as well?

#12 Guest_Getter 3_*

Guest_Getter 3_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:11 PM

CollectorX, on Apr 3 2005, 08:06 PM, said:

Generally no, but the situation is important. I have gotten sniped by another member here but it was no big deal. This is a good question though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sniping doesn't work unless your max bid is lower than the snipers.  It is rather annoying though.  Here you are thinking that you'll win with a low bid and *BANG* -  within the last seconds of the auction it jumped way higher...   :help

#13 OFFLINE   cobalt1959

cobalt1959

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,983 posts
  • Interests:Christ, family and diecasts.
  • Favorite Brands:Cars that have wheels

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:12 PM

No, I would not bid against a fellow DX Member.  I ascribe to the same theory as acisne, Pay it forward.

Edited by cobalt1959, 04 April 2005 - 10:05 AM.

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ
Posted Image

"I believe you'll do quite well, but only time will tell. If you got the Bear or the Bear got you. . ."

#14 Guest_DiecastX_*

Guest_DiecastX_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:45 PM

I have a couple of instances were members here have contacted me about an item I was bidding on eBay as well as GoMotorBids.com.

In a couple of instances, myself and F355spiderman had an all out bidding war on a few Ferraris, only to be outbid by someone else :giggle

In another instance, I recall a member contacting me about a bid I had placed on an item. I told him it was me and he informed me I had outbid him, I told him what my max bid was and he eventually out bid me and won the item.

I also remember posting a link to an auction, and expresing my interest and intent on that particular item. Needless to say a member here, proceeded to bid against me and the price got so high I was forced to concede. I sure hope he enjoys that $115 Maisto GS and trailer :lol

So for me, I would return the common courtesy that was extended to me when placed in that scenario and not place a bid.

#15 Guest_Dingo_*

Guest_Dingo_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:11 PM

Depends - normally no I wouldn't bid, in fact more often than not I'd let a DX member know if it came up on eBay. But if it was a car that was extremely rare, a good deal and almost never came up on eBay... :wink

#16 Guest_kkwhung_*

Guest_kkwhung_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:31 PM

I don't snipe within the last minute, I typically place a bid in the last day, the highest bid I would pay for an item. If someone wanted it more than I do and place a higher bid, I'll just let them have it.

#17 Guest_timbo333_*

Guest_timbo333_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:32 PM

Its a free world......well mostly so i say bid if you want it, does not matter who your up against.  Whoever pays most will win.  Nothing wrong with that.

Timbo.

#18 Guest_corvettekingofcanada_*

Guest_corvettekingofcanada_*

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:06 PM

i get snipped by all kinds of people. if i had the car already and it was cheap i would let it slide. if i really wanted and needed it its fair game.

#19 OFFLINE   mox

mox

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,429 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:36 AM

Unless I'm not going to be around a computer when the aucton ends, I always snipe. I've been on both ends of it and when I lose to a sniper I may be unhappy, but don't get all bent out of shape over it - it's just how ebay works. As for doing it to another forum member, as has been said, we don't necessarily have the same account names on ebay, so it would be hard to tell, and I don't normally pay attention to the other bidders' names anyway. I don't buy many anyway, so it probably doesn't make much difference.

John
Posted Image
DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Driving an automatic and thinking you're a skilled driver is like playing Guitar Hero and thinking you can play guitar.

Serious collectors don't buy budget models? Hahahaha...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard

#20 OFFLINE   ajrichar

ajrichar

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,923 posts
  • Favorite Brands:HPI
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:58 AM

I answered 'Maybe'.

As Jim said, if I didn't know who it was and it was inadvertent, then, of course.
If I knew that a member was bidding on it, then I would contact them and let them know that I too was interested, but as a general rule, no, I wouldn't.

It would have to be a pretty rare car, but then, my friends know that I would want it and let me know rather than bid on it.
Anders
Posted Image

#21 Guest_Scuderia_*

Guest_Scuderia_*

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:26 AM

Getter 3, on Apr 3 2005, 07:11 PM, said:

Sniping doesn't work unless your max bid is lower than the snipers.  It is rather annoying though.  Here you are thinking that you'll win with a low bid and *BANG* -  within the last seconds of the auction it jumped way higher...   :help

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love snipping, especially when someone has placed a bid within the last few minutes then BANG you get them with only seconds left...

:yahoo

#22 OFFLINE   mbc112

mbc112

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,644 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC,Norev
  • Proud Citizen of: be

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:14 AM

If I see a model that a fellow DX'er or MBdiecastmodels friend is looking for, I would contact him to let him know...If he placed a bid before me I would ask him how high he would go...but suppose : you have the chance to buy the MB CLK LM # 35 by AUTOart...this would be war...... :tempted
Gunther

Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,902 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:34 PM

Diecast Patty, on Apr 3 2005, 06:10 PM, said:

Since very few members even use the names they have here for eBay, how would you know who the heck you were bidding against?

Question: How many of you use the names you have here on eBay as well?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use the same username in both locations.

I have actually seen a number of users here on eBay before.  As a rule I will not get into a bidding war with anyone I know, but I will contact them to see what their interest is in the item.
r i c

Click on my banner below to go to The Diecast Gallery!
Posted Image
Got questions? See the DX Guidelines and more here!

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is pretty much the same.

#24 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,902 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:34 PM

Getter 3, on Apr 3 2005, 02:46 PM, said:

I will outbid & destroy you all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're going DOWN!!   :giggle
r i c

Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,902 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

DiecastX, on Apr 3 2005, 06:45 PM, said:

I also remember posting a link to an auction, and expresing my interest and intent on that particular item. Needless to say a member here, proceeded to bid against me and the price got so high I was forced to concede. I sure hope he enjoys that $115 Maisto GS and trailer :lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too funny!!

:lol
r i c

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use