1972 Vega

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cobalt1959

cobalt1959

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,977 posts
  • Interests:Christ, family and diecasts.
  • Proud Citizen of: us
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Cars that have wheels

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:34 AM

As per Luciano's request, here is a brief review of my ERTL 1972 Vega.  First impressions:  I think it sets a little too high and the wheels look a little big to me.  I could find no flaws in the paint.  The head lights have BIG mounting studs behind the lenses.  The engine is pretty well detailed.  It has heater hoses and even spark plug wires of molded vinyl, but they are too big around.  The interior features folding forward front seats.  The rear hatch opens, at least it should.  You can see the hinges, but I can't get mine to open.  Chassis detail is fair.  I'll be honest, I bought this car for a spot in my future junk yard.  If ERTL wanted to do a Vega, why couldn't they do a Cosworth version?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by cobalt1959, 23 July 2005 - 07:12 PM.

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ
Posted Image

"I believe you'll do quite well, but only time will tell. If you got the Bear or the Bear got you. . ."

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   LUW

LUW

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: br
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Minichamps & Ky

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

Very nice Eddie! It looks just like I remember it from my childhood in East Lansing, MI. :cheers
Luciano

#3 Guest_Getter 3_*

Guest_Getter 3_*

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the review, Eddie!  :nicejob

This is the first time I've seen a 1:18 Vega.  As a matter a fact, I think it's the first 1:18 Vega on DX!  :happy

BTW, I moved the topic here.  Hope you didn't mind.  

OT

I had a Vega in highschool, which I bought for - believe it or not - $200 dollars.    :happy

The rear end was smashed up, but it drove well for a while.  Poor thing finally went to the junkyard when the motor blew while we were goofing around (doing donuts and other silly stuff)  in a deserted parking lot.    :giggle

#4 OFFLINE   cobalt1959

cobalt1959

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:19 PM

If you needed to move it, that's cool.  I never had a Vega, but chased hard after a girl I liked that had a '77.  I had a '72 Pinto at the time, but it was NOT stock.   I don't know how many colors ERTL makes this model in, but I know there is a chrome version as well as this bluish-purple version.
Posted Image

"I believe you'll do quite well, but only time will tell. If you got the Bear or the Bear got you. . ."

#5 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Minichamps

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:55 PM

Getter 3, on May 3 2005, 06:11 PM, said:

Thanks for the review, Eddie!  :nicejob

This is the first time I've seen a 1:18 Vega.  As a matter a fact, I think it's the first 1:18 Vega on DX!  :happy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not quite the first, Souky.  :giggle

Ric's '72 Vega
r i c

Click on my banner below to go to The Diecast Gallery!
Posted Image
Got questions? See the DX Guidelines and more here!

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is pretty much the same.

#6 OFFLINE   cobalt1959

cobalt1959

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:59 PM

Heh Ric, your is the same color as mine!  Is there some special trick to getting the hatch open?
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:59 PM

cobalt1959, on May 3 2005, 07:34 AM, said:

As per Luciano's request, here is a brief review of my ERTL 1972 Vega.  First impressions:  I think it sets a little too high and the wheels look a little big to me.  I could find no flaws in the paint.  The head lights have BIG mounting studs behind the lenses.  The engine is pretty well detailed.  It has heater hoses and even spark plug wires of molded vinyl, but they are too big around.  The interior features folding forward front seats.  The rear hatch opens, at least it should.  You can see the hinges, but I can't get mine to open.  Chassis detail is fair.  I'll be honest, I bought this car for a spot in my future junk yard.  If ERTL wanted to do a Vega, why couldn't they do a Cosworth version?

Posted Image Posted Image

Whole album here:   http://photobucket.c...obalt1959/Vega/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice review, Eddie.  I have this model and agree completely.  My back hatch does not open either.  I believe it was Al that told me that there was a way to get it to open, but I cannot recall exactly what the directions were.  Also, the rear seat also folds down as well, though it is hard to get it to so so without the back open.  :cheers
r i c

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:02 PM

cobalt1959, on May 3 2005, 06:59 PM, said:

Heh Ric, your is the same color as mine!  Is there some special trick to getting the hatch open?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went back and found what Al told me in my origial post regarding the rear hatch (thanks, Al):

If it is an RE, the hatchback is held shut by a small tab. It is easy to make the rear open like a LE.

And...

...the best way is to take it appart (six screws) and you will see the tabs that need to be removed. The RE C5 Ertl Corvettes are the same way.

The main problem that you might encounter is geeting the steering shaft back in place.

I just have not got around to trying yet.
r i c

Posted Image

#9 Guest_Getter 3_*

Guest_Getter 3_*

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:14 AM

ricallen, on May 3 2005, 08:55 PM, said:

Getter 3, on May 3 2005, 06:11 PM, said:

Thanks for the review, Eddie!  :nicejob

This is the first time I've seen a 1:18 Vega.  As a matter a fact, I think it's the first 1:18 Vega on DX!  :happy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not quite the first, Souky.  :giggle

Ric's '72 Vega

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, I think I will go dig a hole and shove my head in it now...   :lol

Hmmm...  After looking at the date of your Vega post, I can see why I made the assumption.   :wink

#10 OFFLINE   kenrobinson6

kenrobinson6

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Interests:Diecast & Plastic model kits
  • Proud Citizen of: gb
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Airfix

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:53 AM

Thanks for that Eddie, I find it refreshing to see 'normal' cars being reviewed
Posted Image
DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ
Knowledge is knowing, that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing, not to put it in a fruit salad.

#11 OFFLINE   JSB 33

JSB 33

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,488 posts
  • Interests:Family, Cars (1:1 & 1:43) Automotive books, Guns, yard work and gardening
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:M/C, Spark, Bizarre

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:49 AM

Ken, there is nothing "normal" about a Vega :giggle
They were terrible cars and would rust if there was rain in the forecast.
Me and my friend bought one that had more holes than sheetmetal for $40 and used it as a "community car"
We kept "selling" it back and forth to each other so we could continue to get temporary plates because the car would never would have passed inspection.
We left it parked at a Supermarket as niether of our parents would allow the oil leaking, rust dropping monstrosity in the driveway :giggle

Great review Eddie.
If Ertl ever makes a rust and yellow one I will have to pick it up :giggle
Jeff
"When politicians are arrogant enough to think they can plan and control life better than free people, people suffer."

Posted ImageE Rod_017, on 23 July 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Reason why 1:43 scale cars aren't that popular because most people including me(sorry it I offend) consider them toys and not Collectable model cars. .

Should you collect 1:43?

The Paladin

In my opinion, no if you can afford 1:18 models. First of all, most people will think of them as toys, while 1:18 models can look as something classy if you have a few.

Like things in a smaller scale? Try Scale143
Click on my banner to see my website
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   winstoncds

winstoncds

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5,983 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: in
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Ebbro IXO

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:27 AM

:lol :lol Jeff. That was way too funny. After reading your story I am not surprised why Eddie wants this car to be part of his junkyard diorama.
I know Kung-fu
Posted Image
and 50 other such dangerous words.

#13 OFFLINE   cobalt1959

cobalt1959

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:38 AM

Jeff, that is about dead on.  The Vega was pretty much the first "throw away" car.  Now that I think about it, my sister had one for a brief time that leaked oil like yours, it was so bad you could pour it in the top and almost watch it run out the bottom.  A guy at my first job out of high school had one.  His wife drove up to the warehouse one day in the middle of the summer with the thing overheating big time.  He filled up a bucket from the water cooler and ran outside with it , started pouring it in.  The block cracked so loud I'm surprised you guys up north didn't here it.  Another Vega bites the dust. . .
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use