MIC/Hwy61 '68 Dodge Dart - Ron Mancini SuperStock

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 8,810 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building
  • Proud Citizen of: us
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Minichamps

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:17 PM

In 1970, Ron Mancini drove this 1968 Dodge Dart GTS, with a 426 Hemi, to victories at York, Pa. Springnationals and the US Nationals at Indy. Ron and his Gratiot Auto Dart also won the 1971 Supernationals at Ontario, Ca.  “The car ran in the low 10's actually a best of 10.12 E.T. and 134 mph and was just awesome to drive,” according to Ron.  “We held the SS Automatic record and the record for four-speed stick!”  Ron Mancini drove for Mopar in SuperStock competition from 1967 to 1975. Ron and his Hemi-powered cars were multinational event winners and multi-class record holders.  Ron and the Gratiot Auto Supply cars were feared competitors wherever they raced.  He is truly a Mopar/NHRA champion.  Believe it or not, it’s been five decades since Mopar rocked the racing and performance worlds with it’s unique hemispherical head design.

This little gem was commissioned by MIC to be made by Highway 61.  This is one sharp looking diecast.  Although it has some minor flaws, it is still a great addition to anyone’s collection.  So, without and further ado, here’s how I rated it!

:cheers
Sean

Over all I give it a 7.  Here's how I came up with it...

[7] Engine - accuracy=8 detail= 6
With this car we get a dual four barrel carbureted 427 Hemi engine.  As with most drag cars, there isn’t a lot of plumbing that is not needed.  No hoses to feed the heater core because there wasn’t a heater on the 1:1.  While it does look quite bare, it accurately replicates what is supposed to be under the hood.  Spark plug wires are well replicated as is the detail that went into the engine block itself.  The inlets to the carbs could have been done better as they are just flat surfaces that are painted black.  

[7] Exterior - accuracy=7 detail=7
The mold that this body was popped out of is really good.  There are no visible seam lines and the doors and trunk leave very good shut lines.  The hood is molded plastic (we’ll discuss this more in the Paint eval area).  The chrome plating is perfect, no flaws in this area.  The grill is well done too, you can see through it and see the subrame behind it.  The chrome around the taillights is flawless.  The frames around the vent windows are a little on the thick side – that’s because the vent windows actually move, that was a neat surprise!!! I wish the hood clips (which are a little bit smaller than what has been on other Hwy 61 cars) were closer to the top surface of the hood.   There is a chrome cap on the drivers side where the exterior rear view mirror should go – this is not on the 1:1, my guess it that rather than make a new mold for a door without that slot, Hwy 61 just put a chrome cap over it.

[7] Interior - accuracy=? detail=7
On the interior we get a tach that covers up part of a well done speedo, but we also get a few other gauges such as engine temp & oil pressure.  I’m really not sure if the 1:1 has carpeting, but there’s some in the replica.  The steering wheel however is sitting quite close to the driver’s seat.  There are door lock knobs but no window cranks - this car did have side driver’s and passenger’s windows.  The driver’s seat get seatbelts and the passenger does not.  Both seats slide forward and backwards.  There is a headliner on the roof with a dome light too!  In the trunk we get a battery with cables and a trunk mat.

[7] Paint - accuracy=9 detail=5
As anyone know who has ever painted with metallic spray paints, it’s difficult to get it right.  That’s the case on this car.  The dark red metallic overall looks good with a few small spots on the roof where the metallic bits gathered.  It’s not noticeable unless you’re really looking.  The metallic bits have a tendency to ‘gather’ in certain areas and this is evident on this car, it’s the nature of the paint.  And the hood is slightly off from the rest of the car.

[7] Tampo/Decals - accuracy=8 detail=6
Decals were used on this model.  The process was done right – decals and then clearcoat.  However, the carrier film is quite thick and you can barely see the edges causing a slight ripple or ‘bump’ in the surface.  There are a few very small spots there the decals were not perfectly lined up.  The decals themselves are well done with sharp, crisp lines.  Usually with dark colored cars, you get bleed through on the white decals.  There is none of that apparent on my sample, none on the pinstriping and none on the sponsor logos!

[8] Tires/Wheels - accuracy=9 detail=7
With this car, we get accurately replicated skinny ‘pizza cutter’ wheels up front and wide drag slicks out back.  The front rims are not chromed as they are aluminum and the rears are chromed.  We get valve stems on all four.  The wheels and tires are quite well done when looking at them from any angle but underneath the car.  

[6] Undercarriage - accuracy=? detail=6
Underneath this beast, we get a fairly well done chassis.  Brake, emergency brake and gas lines are molded to the floorpans but are painted silver.  There are metal springs at all four corners although they are non functional.  It appears that all necessary linkages are there up front.  The rear differential is plain in appearance.  I wish the screw mounting stubs were a little more hidden.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

*Added to DX Review Database*

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 Guest_mikeee_*

Guest_mikeee_*

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:46 PM

Ok "drool" "drool" "I want" "I want" this motor is a beast, love the livery and the stance of this Dodge.
Congrats great review and awesome pictures.. :10  :coolpics ..

#3 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 8,810 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:10 PM

mikeee, on Dec 10 2006, 04:46 PM, said:

Ok "drool" "drool" "I want" "I want" this motor is a beast, love the livery and the stance of this Dodge.
Congrats great review and awesome pictures.. :10  :coolpics ..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Mike!  It was a pleasure doing the write-up - it gave me a chance to really study the car!!!

Sean

Posted Image

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#4 OFFLINE   mox

mox

Bronze Member

• DX All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,429 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:49 AM

Nice review and pics, Sean - thanks! I agree with Mike...you may just have a couple kill stickers (at least) down the road.

John
Posted Image

Driving an automatic and thinking you're a skilled driver is like playing Guitar Hero and thinking you can play guitar.

Serious collectors don't buy budget models? Hahahaha...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard

#5 OFFLINE   LUW

LUW

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: br
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Minichamps & Ky

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

Great read and pics, Sean! :nicejob
Another great model from Highway 61.
Luciano

#6 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:44 PM

John & Luc,
Thanks Gents!  This car is quite a looker and would look great you your collections too!

Sean

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   guitardave_1

guitardave_1

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5,132 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Photography, Railway Modelling, Music
  • Proud Citizen of: gb
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Spark, HPI, Minichamps, IXO

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:47 AM

Ducati-900SS, on Dec 11 2006, 12:10 AM, said:

mikeee, on Dec 10 2006, 04:46 PM, said:

Congrats great review and awesome pictures.. :10  :coolpics ..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Mike!  It was a pleasure doing the write-up - it gave me a chance to really study the car!!!

Sean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:iagree It's far from a chore reviewing a model - you find details you never knew existed. I also tend to learn more about the 1:1 at the same time, as well as finding some pics of the real car. I guess maybe some people might not like to know all the little flaws in their models, but it's never spoilt my enjoyment of a model yet.
Click my banner to visit my diecast site
My Race Car Photos Website
My (Other) Photography Website
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use