Highway 61 Challenger Concept

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pastadude_*

Guest_Pastadude_*

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:24 AM

Edit info below...

As a note, I just spent over an hour and finished my review but I accidently clicked the back button on the wrong tab in my browser...so now I will give an abridged version of my what was once lenghty review with bullets instead of paragraphs. Sorry, all that hard work now vanished got me VERY disappointed.

Exterior:
+ Correct proportions
+ Highly detailed headlights
+ Tailight perfectly recreated
+ Sideview mirrors reflect
+ Perforated grilles
-  Visable posts in marker and reflector lenses
+ Tight shut lines
+ Carbion fiber neatly applied
+ Chrome around window not forgotten
+ Highly detailed door handles
-  Shoddy hood vents
-  Shallow exhaust
-  Wheel bulges go inward?
-  Tampo badge on hood

Exterior: :9

Interior:
+ Superbly detailed in every crevase
+ Carpeted in all right places
+ Silver paint for titanium look is masterfully executed
+ Seats soft to touch
+ Seatbelts made of vinyl and seperated from seats
+ Seatbelt clips move up and down vinyl belts
+ Extreme detail like winshield wiper stalk and seat buttons
-  Not so great shifter, gets the job done very well though
+ Orange on top of seat back, along with detailed stitching
-  Stationary armrest
+ Highly detailed steering wheel
+ Roof-lining excellently done with moveable visors
+ Vents and speakers finely cut and detailed
+ Chrome rings around rear speakers
+ Excellent pedals
+ Detailed door sill appliques
+ Doors highly detailed and crafted
++ Here's a real nice one: seats move back and forth on a track and seat backs move back and forth. Huge plus here.
+ Rearview mirror reflect
+ Steering wheel turns wheels (duh)
+ Carpeted trunk
+ NO DOG LEGS!!!

Interior: :10

Paint:
-  Shoddy coat
+ Metallic not overdone
-  Paint leaks onto some parts where it should not be (nothing terrible though)
+ Rich, vibrant color
+ Looks great from afar
-  Noticable niggles from close up
-  My example has 2 noticeable black markings on it but not enough to make me return it (it's really not all that bad)

Paint: :7

Undercarriage:
+ Another excellent job here
+ All parts are seperate pieces and neatly cut
+ See through engine bay with opened hood
+ Block of engine clearly visable
+ Screws unobtrusive
+ Suspension works
+ Excellent detail in transmission case and exhaust
+ Excellent detail everywhere underneath
-  No front wheel wells (VERY hard to notice, as they are only missing 1/4 of the wheel well)

Undercarriage: :10

Tampos:
+ Neatly applied
+ No stickers or sticker lenses
+ Everything is tampo
+ Detailed carbon fiber is tampoed on
+ R/T badge perfectly recreated
+ No complaints at all

Tampos: :10

Engine:
+ Another excellent job
+ Wires and plumbing all done right
+ Fanbelt
+ Underneath of hood detailed, painted and tampoed with carbon fiber
+ Perforated vents in bay itself (noted here: http://www.rsportsca...engine1600.jpg)
+ Air filter rivited
-  Oil cap not there
+ Bay completely painted correct colors
+ Dipstick moveable (well, seperate from block)
+ Detailed block, headers, valve covers
+ Perfect badging on all parts
-  No writing on missing oil cap

Engine: :10

Brakes:
+ Cross drilled rotors spin in detailed calipers
+ Tampoed calipers with Challenger badging

Brakes: :10

Wheels/Tires:
+ Hard rubber with highly detailed tread
+ Correct wheels
+ Writing on sidewalls
- Little too smallish wheels
-  Not enough "dip" in center of wheels
+ Center cap badged
+ Lug nuts detailed
+ Wheels nicely painted (not like my exterior!)

Wheels/Tires: :9

Value:
The model was a gift but it lists anywhere from $55-$80. Well worth the money at any of those prices. The overall craftsmanship is as expected from a high end model. It's a brand new model range for Highway 61 and I recieved one of the first thousand or so examples I am guessing (measuring on it's assumed time on the market). The packaging was flavorful and not tacky in any sense. The overall presence of the model compliments my Kyosho M3 and AUTOArts quite nicely.

Summary:
Simply put, this model is a must have for any and all Mopar fans. Fans of the concept will love it, fans of the classic Challenger will love it even more. Those who love detail (like myself) will be very pleased with its features and high attention to detail. I'm sure my example suffers from minor paint problems, but it otherwise has no real noticeable drawbacks. There is very minor room for improvement. The car itself is moderately heavy (not as heavy as my M3, which is my favorite due to it's high detail and overall awesomeness :giggle ) but this is a very welcome addition to my half-high end collection. I usually buy models based on my love for the car itself as opposed to the amount of detail. Being a gift I am fortunate that my parents (I'm 20 so yeah I still live at home ) went and splurged on this one. If I had purchased it myself, I definitely would have bought this model as opposed to the Maisto version (which looks like crap by the way). Either way, for a serious collector and a fan of American cars, this is money VERY well spent.

Overall:  :9

So there you have it. My first review, for my first Highway 61. I am delighted to own this model and I hope you all find my review helpful. I seriously suggest purchasing this model if you have any interest in the Challenger at all. There are a few nits to pick, but the overall presence it brings to your collection will be noticed immediately. Sorry this review wasn't as planned. As I said, I just got annoyed when I lost over an hour of work. Next time I'll have a very nice review with some actual car facts and pictures and stuff...maybe even an edit of this one later on. On that note :goodnight

Oh and also, tell me what you guys think.  :feedback

Update: Photos added (don't know what the max size is so they're all photobucket.)

I took these photos using a POS Fuji FinePix camera. The other camera (the Canon 6 megapixel...I know, it's awesome!) is in my sister's room and she's asleep now. It's 2:55am and I work nights so this is my internet time. The door is slightly opened on the passangers side (the shut lines really ARE good!) and I just noticed them now on the computer. But it is 3am...and I definitely don't feel like taking more BAD pictures. These will have to suffice until I can get the Canon in the morning. (Yes, those ARE Godzilla sheets. I know, I still have them from 1998 and still use them!) I promise that tomorrow I'll try and take some better pictures of the Challenger and my collection in general. I did post a few pics of my overall collection and my two personal favorites. At least, what I have upstairs :) . I have some 40 models, and a good number of them are upstairs in my room. The rest of them are in the "Halo" room downstairs, for all to see. My favorites are with me, for me to see! Ok, here is the album link.

WARNING! You may be appauled by the shoddy quality of pics, but it's something for now.
http://smg.photobuck...staDude/models/

Added to DX Model Review Database

Edited by Ducati-900SS, 12 January 2007 - 01:20 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 Guest_Sir Gary_*

Guest_Sir Gary_*

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for the review . Sorry to hear your first one got wasted .

Its a shame you havent added any pictures as that would help enhanced your review greatly.

Ive just purchased this car myself , so its good to hear that its pretty decent and worth looking forward to . :cheers

#3 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Proud Citizen of:us
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Minichamps

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the review! (Love to see some pictures too.)

You mentioned that the shut lines were a "positive," which is the opposite of what I have heard from the other reviews of this car.  Just curious if there are some versions out there that have the issue, while others do not.  

:feedback
r i c

Click on my banner below to go to The Diecast Gallery!
Posted Image
Got questions? See the DX Guidelines and more here!

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is pretty much the same.

#4 Guest_mikeee_*

Guest_mikeee_*

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:23 PM

Interesting read, look forward to seeing some pics... :cheers

#5 Guest_EpicDiecast_*

Guest_EpicDiecast_*

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:47 PM

Larry,

What a review!  I think you really nailed this model and your attention to detail was great.  When I first got these models in, one of the most impressive things to me was the undercarriage.  I didn't notice that there were no front wheel wells like you but the transmission case, differential housing, brake lines, and exhaust really stood out.  

Isn't it strange how the headlights on this model can be so intricately detailed and then in the marker lights, you can see the mounting posts.  That stood out to me as well.  The headlights are awesome though!

As for your paint issues, I only had one car that had problems and it had a little bit of trash under the paint on the trunk.  Thankfully that was it.  But I'm with you on the hood vents as they were a bit awkward.  

I had to add this car to my own collection.  The black one came out this past week and a sublime green and pink one are due out any time now.  

Again, thanks for taking the time to write this even though you lost your first detailed post.

Mike

Edited by EpicDiecast, 11 January 2007 - 10:49 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:10 AM

Mike, how do you think the shut lines came out on the final production versions?

r i c

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Silver Member

• DX Administrative Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,920 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

Great review! :cheers Thanks for taking the time to write it! I hope Chrysler will not change it from the concept and release the production version just like it.

But for the life of me, I don't get why a dig has to be made at the Maisto? :confused
I have seen it, and in my humble opinion, Maisto did a better job on the wheels.
Why does a $20 budget have to be called "junk" in order for a $60 model to sound good?  :feedback

I collect all concepts but I rather get the less expensive one (so I have money to buy higher priced Muscle cars). Does that not make me a "serious" collector?  :giggle

in my humble opinion, all models should be viewed on their own merits. :cheers

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#8 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 8,810 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

PD,
Great review of the car!  I was just getting ready to type one up but you nailed the review the car.

Ric,
The shut lines on my example are quite good!  I pleased with them.

On mine, it was stricken with the shotty QC processes in place at Hwy 61.  The passenger's side exhaust tip wasn't assembled properly.

Posted Image

Otherwise, it's a good honest model at a good price.  I highly recommend it!  I know it's going to be hard for me to not to get the pink and/or the green one!!!

Sean

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#9 Guest_EpicDiecast_*

Guest_EpicDiecast_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

ricallen, on Jan 12 2007, 12:10 AM, said:

Mike, how do you think the shut lines came out on the final production versions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ric, Just like Larry and Sean, the shut lines on all of the ones that I got in were fantastic.  In fact, the doors didn't even look like they would open.  I know that was one of the concerns of the preproduction pictures that Darrick mentioned in this thread:  http://www.diecastxc...showtopic=35447 but luckily that was just the pre-production.

One other thing though...in this thread:  http://www.diecastxc...showtopic=36704 Detour Dave mentioned that the thickness of the gaps between some of the seams in the body panels were large on his model.  So maybe it's a hit and miss issue or perhaps Dave's was just an unusual example?  Hopefully Dave can chime in on this as well.

Mike

#10 OFFLINE   ricallen

ricallen

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:32 PM

EpicDiecast, on Jan 12 2007, 01:22 PM, said:

ricallen, on Jan 12 2007, 12:10 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ric, Just like Larry and Sean, the shut lines on all of the ones that I got in were fantastic.  In fact, the doors didn't even look like they would open.  I know that was one of the concerns of the preproduction pictures that Darrick mentioned in this thread:  http://www.diecastxc...showtopic=35447 but luckily that was just the pre-production.

One other thing though...in this thread:  http://www.diecastxc...showtopic=36704 Detour Dave mentioned that the thickness of the gaps between some of the seams in the body panels were large on his model.  So maybe it's a hit and miss issue or perhaps Dave's was just an unusual example?  Hopefully Dave can chime in on this as well.

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good to hear about the shut lines!  Thanks, guys!  :cheers
r i c

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   DetourDave

DetourDave

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:1:18-scale diecasts, photography, writing, graphic design, computers, automotive history, Nascar, movies, etc.
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:AutoWorld

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:08 PM

EpicDiecast, on Jan 12 2007, 03:22 PM, said:

One other thing though...in this thread:  http://www.diecastxc...showtopic=36704 Detour Dave mentioned that the thickness of the gaps between some of the seams in the body panels were large on his model.  So maybe it's a hit and miss issue or perhaps Dave's was just an unusual example?  Hopefully Dave can chime in on this as well.
Hey Mike,

The shut lines on my copy aren't that bad. The area I was referring to regarding the gaps in the body seams was the front and rear valences. The seams where the front fenders/front bumper/grille surround and rear quarter panels/rear bumpers meet are more noticeable on the 1:18 model than they are on the 1:1.

That's all. It's not a big gripe, probably my only issue with the model overall. Otherwise, I think Highway 61 did a great job with it and I'm seriously thinking about getting a few of the other colors this one is being produced in.

Below are a couple pics in which you can see what I'm talking about.

Posted Image Posted Image

I have a full photo layout and review of this one on my website. If anyone would like to check it out, just click HERE

#12 Guest_EpicDiecast_*

Guest_EpicDiecast_*

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

Dave,

Thanks for clarifying that.  That was my fault as I really didn't read what you posted in the other thread correctly.  You were comparing it to the 1:1 and I didn't realize just how close the gaps are on the 1:1 until I clicked on your photo spread there and saw the picture of the 1:1 on the box.   The gaps on it are hardly noticable so I see what you're saying there.

Thanks,

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use