#57 Corvette 1972 Sebring GT Class Winner

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 8,810 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building
  • Proud Citizen of: us
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Minichamps

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:43 PM

Here we have a Carousel 1, 1/18 Corvette L-88 #57 1972 Sebring 12 Hour Winner.  This car was driven by driven by Dave Heinz and Bob Johnson.  It came in 1st place in the GT class and 4th over all!  This car is powered by Chevrolet's powerfull L-88 which had an advertised rating of 430 horsepower at 4600 RPM.  However, maximum horsepower is generated at 5600 RPM with an output of 560 HP!

This is my first model by Carousel 1.  I have to say I'm quite impressed overall.  I love the livery on this piece.  My wife thought it was a Dukes of Hazzard car.  :dizzy  It has a plumbed and wired engine under the hood.  One area that could be improved under the hood are the fender wells.  Just something about them makes them look cheap and distracts from the excellent start that Carousel 1 started with.  There's also plumbing around the rear differential for the cooling radiator.  Paint and tampos are very good on my piece, no complaints in that arena!  Fit and finish is quite good.  It does have doglegs for the doors, I'm not sure if this is accurate on the 1:1.  The interior is a little on the sparse side and could use a little more attention.  that being said, we do get seatbelts and a center console populated with tons of little buttons.  

The chassis and suspension are well done as well.  No working suspension but all the necessary pieces are there.  Wheels and tires are well done too!  There are drilled brake rotors and calipers but the rotors do not move with the wheel.

By the time the auction transaction was closed and feedback received, I ended up getting this car for about $30!  The sender did not secure it to the base which caused the rear leaf springs and shocks to break off as well as the differential radiator.  I contacted the seller and we agreed on a 50% refund.  Is this car worth the $120-$130 MSRP, no, but if you can get one in the $50-$70 range, you will not be disappointed!!!

More pics in the GALLERY

:cheers
Sean                                                                                                                                                
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ADDED TO DX REVIEW DATABASE

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How To's, Facts and FAQ

Posted Image

Click HERE for my 1:1 Plymouth 'Cuda restoration project

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Ronan

Ronan

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 7,546 posts
  • Interests:Cars, cars and more cars! (And Diecastxchange too of course!)
  • Proud Citizen of: ie
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:CMC

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:53 PM

That's a fantastic looking Corvette Sean! I passed on these C1 Vettes when they were first released as they I felt were very overpriced.

Then when C1 decided to stop making them and had a big sell off of all of those left in stock, I didn't get any then either. That was a big error as they seem to be pricey and hard to find now! :cheers  :error

#3 OFFLINE   guitardave_1

guitardave_1

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5,132 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Photography, Railway Modelling, Music
  • Proud Citizen of: gb
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Spark, HPI, Minichamps, IXO

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

I must confess to rather skim-reading the text in a hurry Sean, but I just have to say great job on the pics. The second one down is truly one of my favourite diecast shots I can remember seeing - the composition and angle grabbed me the minute I saw it :nicejob :cheers
Click my banner to visit my diecast site
My Race Car Photos Website
My (Other) Photography Website
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 8,810 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Guitar Playing, Sportbikes, Woodworking and Plastic Model Kit Building

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

Yeah Ronan, you should have grabbed one of these while the getting was good.  They can still be found on eBay for about $60USD.  The #48 seems to grab a little more dough, presumably because of the accomplishments of the 1:1 car and it has a stunning livery too!

Thanks for the comments, Dave!  That too is my favorite shot that I took of this car.

Sean

Posted Image

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed; With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head; You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said... - Turn the Page by Bob Seger

#5 OFFLINE   mox

mox

Bronze Member

• DX All-Stars
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,429 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:43 PM

Congratulations Sean - these bowties creeping into your collection is making me all warm and fuzzy (and a little envious) inside! A really nice model, and a great price (even before your discount)! Great pics!

John
Posted Image

Driving an automatic and thinking you're a skilled driver is like playing Guitar Hero and thinking you can play guitar.

Serious collectors don't buy budget models? Hahahaha...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard

#6 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:50 AM

mox, on Feb 3 2007, 08:43 PM, said:

Congratulations Sean - these bowties creeping into your collection is making me all warm and fuzzy (and a little envious) inside! A really nice model, and a great price (even before your discount)! Great pics!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, all my Mopars are starting to protest and are carrying around signs like this smiley -  :WTF

Thanks Buddy!
Sean

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Ronan

Ronan

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 7,546 posts
  • Interests:Cars, cars and more cars! (And Diecastxchange too of course!)
  • Proud Citizen of: ie
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:CMC

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:49 AM

Ducati-900SS, on Feb 4 2007, 04:34 AM, said:

Yeah Ronan, you should have grabbed one of these while the getting was good.  They can still be found on eBay for about $60USD.  The #48 seems to grab a little more dough, presumably because of the accomplishments of the 1:1 car and it has a stunning livery too!

Thanks for the comments, Dave!  That too is my favorite shot that I took of this car.

Sean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$60? That's not too bad! If they can be had for that amount then I think I'll start looking around for some of them then! :cheers

#8 OFFLINE   LUW

LUW

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: br
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Minichamps & Ky

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:06 AM

That does look good, doesn't it Sean? The livery is striking. :cheers
What did you think about the weight of the model?
Luciano

#9 OFFLINE   JSB 33

JSB 33

Silver Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,476 posts
  • Interests:Family, Cars (1:1 & 1:43) Automotive books, Guns, yard work and gardening
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:M/C, Spark, Bizarre

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:46 AM

Looks like Sean is really turning up the wick on his picture taking and the types of car he is collecting :cheers
You have really surprised me with a couple of your latest additions!

The C1 Vettes are very, very nice at ebay prices :happy

I think the "Test Car" is bringing some big money ($100 to $150 or more)
Jeff
"When politicians are arrogant enough to think they can plan and control life better than free people, people suffer."

Posted ImageE Rod_017, on 23 July 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Reason why 1:43 scale cars aren't that popular because most people including me(sorry it I offend) consider them toys and not Collectable model cars. .

Should you collect 1:43?

The Paladin

In my opinion, no if you can afford 1:18 models. First of all, most people will think of them as toys, while 1:18 models can look as something classy if you have a few.

Like things in a smaller scale? Try Scale143
Click on my banner to see my website
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

Good luck on the hunt, Ronan!

Luc, it is a very heavy car.  It is smaller in all three dimentions than my Mopars by Hwy61 & Ertl, but out weighs them all!  It's a heavy son-of-a-gun!!!

Thanks Jeff!  I've always had problems with lighting and have found a solution that gets me what I need - good ole sunshine!  Plus all the photo tips everyone has been posting has helped too!

Sean

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Super Snail

Super Snail

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,387 posts
  • Interests:Sportscars, Prototype racers, Motorcycles, Cobra's, GT40's, Porsche
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Exoto, CMC

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:17 AM

Nice model I purchased mine at £29, all I wish is that they would produce more. It would be nice to get the Greenwood wide body racers?
Steve

#12 OFFLINE   Diecast24/7

Diecast24/7

Bronze Member

• DX All-Stars
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,699 posts
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Exact Detail

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:28 AM

View PostSuper Snail, on Nov 13 2008, 05:17 AM, said:

Nice model I purchased mine at £29, all I wish is that they would produce more. It would be nice to get the Greenwood wide body racers?

Hasn't another model in this series just been released? I thought I saw one at the Chicago iHobby Show! :confused

Justin

#13 OFFLINE   Ducati-900SS

Ducati-900SS

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

Yeah, I think they are on the streets now.  They released two or three version, based on this mold I believe.

Sean

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   lazard

lazard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,973 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: cz

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:43 AM

Street-legal blue and yellow models were released as well as a LeMans 1972 racing car model.
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   emmanouil

emmanouil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4,153 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: gr
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Kyosho

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:39 AM

View Postlazard, on Nov 14 2008, 03:43 PM, said:

Street-legal blue and yellow models were released as well as a LeMans 1972 racing car model.
The price ($140, despite the limited 600 items) is quite high for the street models, since the quality is not inprooved compared to the old racers.

#16 OFFLINE   Super Snail

Super Snail

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,387 posts
  • Interests:Sportscars, Prototype racers, Motorcycles, Cobra's, GT40's, Porsche
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Exoto, CMC

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:34 AM

The new Le Mans version has to many issues in regards to accuracy for my liking which is a pity as they could have been on to a winner.
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use