DiecastXchange Forum banner

Happy and sad

6K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  DiecastX 
#1 ·
I always was a bit bothered that my Maserati 250F had no numbers on it. After all, this was a track car, but CMC decided to not produce it with numbers. So I ordered a set of decals and transformed mine into Il Maestro's car at the ring:

The end result was pretty cool, and it was a total walk in the park to do the job :nicejob. What did get me upset was this:

I've heard stories about this and there you have it :mob.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
There's no other explanation because the model is kept inside a glass box away from direct light or excessive heat. Last year I noticed it had very small cracks starting in the upper lip, but they were very small and I didn't give much thought about it. But last week I inspected the car and there they were.
:smack

#7 ·
I purchased one from a reputable dealer and noticed it when i received it. They exchanged right away and the one i got was perfect. I took a close look at it today (1 year later) and THERE IT IS!!! Cracked like the one pictured!!! I am VERY dissapointed and will contact CMC about it. It is not an easy fix.

What a mess.........

G
#14 ·
That's a real worry and poor darts on a model of that price. I've ordered a Fangio car when they are made so I hope the problem is rectified by then.
I haven't purchased a CMC model yet, and this is making me reconsider.

#15 ·
Sorry to see that, Luc (and sorry to hear about it from you other guys). Maybe after a year and a half I'll have to change my mind and agree it wasn't Model of the Year.

#17 ·
I plan on sending this pic to CMC. I'm not going to ask for a spare part, because 1) I don't think I could fix it, because of where it is and how it's glued to the base, and 2) I think it would be VERY probable that if I did get a replacement part it would be a left over from the bad batch, so in two years I would have a problem again.

#21 ·
At the risk of stating the obvious those are stress cracks caused by bending the material too sharply from flat sheet instead of molding it or vac-forming it. They should really step up and make this right even 'though they probably had no way of anticipating the problem.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I received a reply from CMC this morning! They are aware of the problem and suggested contacting the seller to get a replacement. They stated in the email that their dealers are expected to help their customers and they in turn will support the dealer. Makes sense. They also said that if they are not willing to help, to contact them again for a alternative. I suspect the dealer will help BUT will it happen again! This will be my second time unfortunatly!

I am very happy that they want to help. It makes me feel better about the other 18 CMC cars i own!!!

I hope you hear right away Luciano :cheers

#25 ·
Gilles, so far I only got the automatic delivery notice to my e-mail, though I only sent it to CMC, and not CMC USA. I also got mine through Kevin's, but that was more then two years ago. Even if I could get the part, I would only try to replace it if it was very easy, however I don't think it will.

#26 ·
A few minutes ago I got a response from them:
Dear Mr. Werner,

We are sorry that you have has a problem with one of our models.

You will need to return the model to the Dealer you purchased it from, and they will issue you a replacement. Our Dealers are required to support their customers and handle this type of problem. If you have any difficulties, please feel free to contact me.

This problem was caused by CMC's quest for realism. CMC chose the thickness of the plastic used for the windscreen because it looked the most real in that scale. Sometimes perfection is difficult to attain. CMC has since changed the plastic and the thickness to ensure durability and longevity. Your replacement model should have the updated windscreen so you should have no problems.

Sincerely,

Dan McKane
Sales Manager - CMC (USA) team

CMC - Classical Model Cars (USA)
1225 Jefferson Road, Suite 14
Rochester, NY 14623
Office: (585) 292-7280
Fax: (585) 292-7285
E-mail: usacmc@msn.com
Web: www.cmc-modelcars.com/us
I'm happy to hear that I could get a new one, but unfortunately for me it's out of the question; only on S&H to and from Kevin I would spend US$ 60,00 easy, and that's if I don't get hit by Customs :help.

Though despite them not being able to resolve my problem, I'm happy to know that they're aware of the issue and already took measures so that it won't happen again. And it's specially nice to see the courtesy the they treat their customers, a true benchmark for this hobby. :cheers

#27 ·
That is interesting that they are replacing all of the faulty ones, that must run to a large amount of them. A shame in a way to think that all the returned ones will probably be destroyed.

Also you would probably have to remove your fine Fangio markings from the car before returning it otherwise it would not be in "original" condition! :lol

#30 ·
It's great so see a company back up their products and right their wrongs!

Looks like there's hope after all!!!

Sean

#31 ·
:iagree Nobody should be happy with that flaw in a model of that price, but it really seems that CMC have a genuine wish to try and remedy the problem for their customers. It's hard to imagine that sort of response from every manufacturer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.