DiecastXchange Forum banner

Autoart again

7K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  kees 
#1 ·
My birthday passed just before the new year and my GF bought me a diecast...i was expecting a cmc testarossa (i gave her a wishlist) nearly got one but she instead got me the hyper hyped koenigsegg ccx which isn't that bad of a consolation...a very very cool car (and was included in the list too).

unfortunately...despite that it has a very very low number in it's certificate, the model she got had a flaw (at least for me). the back engine cover despite having already two supports would not stay up!!try as i might, the only way is to put something that keeps it ajar, since the ccx is a really nice car to display while open this however isnt good for me esp for taking photos. does anyone have this problem?

the car isn't bought online but as i try to replace the car with the shop, there weren't much options left as there were a limited imported and most if not all had been sold out. oh dear me...i hope this little problem can be fixed.

is there anyway to fix this problem manually without looking for a replacement?(making the two piece engine struts stick?) happy 2010 to all!

#4 ·
I don't think that it is the struts holding the weight of the rear cover. I believe it is the pair of scissor hinges that attach the cover to the body of the car. If you look closely there are a number of fine philips head screws that hold the assembly together. Maybe they are loose causing the full weight of the rear cover to come crashing down on the faux struts.

Try to tighten those screws up with a fine screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit. Maybe have some flat black touch up paint handy in case the screwdriver slips and scrapes some of the paint.

Good luck on either the repair or the return!

Oh, my copy was also tight as a drum.

#6 ·
I haven't taken it out of the styro in hopes to preserve my chances on changing it when a better one comes in the shop my gf got it in. i will try to see if i can check the hinge without compromising the car. i'd rather have it tight like you guys. cant imagine putting something to keep the cover up.

hokuan:
you mean the other CCX in the shop also have flaws

yup, went back to the shop, unfortunately the model i looked at to replace had a left door that was too loose for my liking, though i reckon it may just be me.

G
#8 ·
my first CCX had a similar problem with its engine cover, would hardly stay up at all, my second was a bit better but all you had to do was breath on it and it would collapse and make a horrible noise lol,
my third one though is A OK

G
#13 ·
its not realy a defect, its the way the struts are placed on the rear engine cover, theres scratches and thick glue marks everywhere. it looks terrible very shoddy craftmanship

i ordered it where ii get most of my models, granprixlegends :]

#18 ·
I am not having the same issue as the OP with the engine cover struts. They seem to be fairly tight. But I am having the loose left door issue. I checked throughout and couldn't find anything loose. Another thing is that I found a tiny screw inside the box. I couldn't seem to locate where in the car is missing. Maybe it's an extra?

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Believe it or not, I stopped buying AutoArt models online. Luckily I have a diecast store near where I live so I always go there to choose the model personally. I've received USED Kyosho models in 99% perfect quality and just one tiny flaw (keep in mind it was used) and BRAND NEW AutoArt models with snapped off or wobbly wheels, grilles and awfully applied paint. Couple of years back the things were much better. Today, ordering an AutoArt online is like playing the lottery.

The only solution is to find a friendly seller who will take time to open and inspect your model before shipping.

The even sadder things is that Minichamps follows their steps! I had more than one problem with their models too...

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
No, you aren't. Recently I got an E30 Cecotto in red and the front left (driver's side) wheel wobbles like it's broken. The stranger thing is that I personally saw 2 identical (fresh off the factory) Cecottos and both had exactly the same wobbly left wheel.
In addition, this wheel sticks out a little bit more than the other three. Also my AutoArt Mercedes SL600 (silver) has one of its front wheels slightly tilted, while the other one is absolutely straight. These are just little things, but still - it's annoying.

G
#27 ·
i find on some of the cars the tires are all to shape and not round and flush with the wheel like they shoild be, like if i roll the car on the floor its as if the one wheel is shpaed like an egg if you get what i mean?
anyone else have this problem?

#29 ·
Auto Art does not need a Quality Control Deptment has every model they produce is perfect! Well thats the impression that I have gotten after complaining about some of thier products. They have their heads firmly buried in the sand, but it such a pity. AUTOart is the company most people started the collecting hobby with and they have produce some fantastic models, I really do not understnad how they could alter so much its like the heart has been ripped out of the copany.

#30 ·
Over the holidays we sold about seven G55 models and recieved complaints on three of them that the chassis was bent. We got one of them back and sure enough from the bacl-left to front-right there is a bend. While the rear-left is level, you can slip a credit card under the front right tire. It looks terrible!! And it cost me alot of money in refunds and more worthless AUTOart shit sitting in my returns stack!
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

#31 ·
I'd take one of those bent G55's and call it an "after offroad version"
Sadly no $$$ at the moment.

On topic: I wasn't gonna treat you AutoArt haters here (lol), but I'm

Bugatti Veyron (production version)
It should be:

Well the wheel is wrong but hey... AUTOart QC

So, now the treat:

Silly me. I didn't know that the 1:1 Veyron has a removable wheel... It also has a removable back logo (reglued) and a removable right air intake (reglued but no pic of it when it came off)... And this is with a number of 2000+ so it's not like they didn't know how to build them (maybe they got bored)... Although I got one of the first ones when it came out and was suprised to get such a high number at that time.

#36 ·
On topic: I wasn't gonna treat you AutoArt haters here (lol), but I'm

Bugatti Veyron (production version)
It should be:

Well the wheel is wrong but hey... AUTOart QC

So, now the treat:

Silly me. I didn't know that the 1:1 Veyron has a removable wheel... It also has a removable back logo (reglued) and a removable right air intake (reglued but no pic of it when it came off)... And this is with a number of 2000+ so it's not like they didn't know how to build them (maybe they got bored)... Although I got one of the first ones when it came out and was suprised to get such a high number at that time.
That is awesome! A removable steering wheel. Imagine going at 200mph and suddenly this happens
'Oops, now how can I steer this thing?!'

But seriously, I must be one of the lucky ones to have a defect-free veyron. Nothing wrong, just purrrrrfect.

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
@winston - Ah, I see the problem now. Even the numbering is wrong

@initiald - Maybe there are some that skipped through QC with proper steerings but all of the Veyrons I've seen are with such offset. Mind you, mine was properly aligned at first. Until I turned the wheels for the first time... Then it went all over the place and last week it finally came off . I sure hope the 1:1 is not so flimsy

I really won't be able to sell this one for a good price if I needed to after all that though. Maybe I should have been quiet about it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.