#1 OFFLINE   Florin

Florin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

Ok, here is the situation: Back in December my wife bought 4 diecast models for me - for Christmas. One of them was the AUTOart Porsche 928. Unfortunately, the headlights were stuck closed and wouldn't open at all - even when pried with a door opening tool. So my wife took it back ti the store and got it exchanged. The replacement was not in stock, so it took 3 weeks to get it in. So today my wife went to the mall (Square 1, Car Buffs) to shop and picked up the car for me. I instructed her to shake the box and check for loose parts or any visible damage.
So she comes home, brings the car and I thanked her. I wanted to take some pics of the car, so as I was taking it out of the box, something looked strange. If I remember correctly, the driver requires a seat back in order to sit properly in the driving position. The driver's seat back was stuck in between the seat base and the securing band that connects the 2 doors, therefore no noise when shaking the box...
This is especially frustrating because this is the replacement that I received in exchange to the first damaged model!
This brings me to the conclusion that AUTOart doesn't have a QC dept. Or if they do, they must employ baboons or mental institution patients! I already stopped all my online AUTOart purchases, but it's not enough. Even sourcing the models locally is a crapshoot, frustration and anger are not the reasons for which I have this hobby. I did have QC issues with other brands too, but they were more of an exception than the rule.

AUTOart, you are the lowest of the low, paying the unreasonable prices of your poor quality models gets us this shait in return! A big FU, AUTOart!!!

I will list the models that I bought within the last 8 months that I received damaged:

-Jag E Type Convertible: broken window frame or post on the passenger door
-Porsche 997 GT3 RS with the shifter missing
-Porsche 997 GT3 RS (replacement) with paint bubbles on the hood
-Lamborghini Espada: broken front bumper corner
-Porsche 928: non operational headlights and paint residue on one headlight
-Porsche 928 (replacement): broken driver seat back

Please post your own QC issues with AUTOart models!

I apologize for the rant, but if I figured this is the best way to vent   :wavetowel2:  

Posted Image
But...but...but the Chinese labor rates!

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 Guest_[KRAFTIG]_*

Guest_[KRAFTIG]_*

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Hey Florin, I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate lack of quality with AUTOart cars.  I do agree they have some work to do on their QC if they expect collectors to continue to pay a premium for their products.  I suggest you immediately return the 928 and demand a refund or at least get a new model at a discount.  Better things to come my friend, better things...

#3 OFFLINE   looney

looney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

wow thats even worse than the missing steering wheel from a few months ago.

I brought a 1967 911S and t had no rear view mirror

#4 OFFLINE   Superleggera

Superleggera

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, beer, Eric Clapton and fine leather jackets.
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

I've got to admit, I've never had a problem with anything missing from Autoart's models. I guess you're getting all the bad luck! http://www.diecastxc...tyle_emoticons/default/dizzy.gif
My Profile
Posted Image
Jamie "The Soupy Leg"
Cleanliness is next to Inverness.

#5 OFFLINE   jface

jface

Euro Car Collector

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, BBR, MR, Exoto

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

Posted Image
Updated Video of my collection part 2 *july 2012*
Click Link below check it out!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=REqVmiggyqs

#6 OFFLINE   Florin

Florin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

View Post[KRAFTIG], on 13 February 2010 - 07:35 PM, said:

Hey Florin, I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate lack of quality with AUTOart cars.  I do agree they have some work to do on their QC if they expect collectors to continue to pay a premium for their products.  I suggest you immediately return the 928 and demand a refund or at least get a new model at a discount.  Better things to come my friend, better things...
Thanks Davide, can you tell that I'm really frustrated?   :wavetowel2:

View Postlooney, on 13 February 2010 - 08:09 PM, said:

wow thats even worse than the missing steering wheel from a few months ago.

I brought a 1967 911S and t had no rear view mirror
As I typed the list, i was getting angrier... I can only blame myself for buying these sub par models... (well, except for the 928)

View PostSuperleggera, on 13 February 2010 - 09:00 PM, said:

I've got to admit, I've never had a problem with anything missing from Autoart's models. I guess you're getting all the bad luck! http://www.diecastxc...tyle_emoticons/default/dizzy.gif
I am really surprised to hear that you had no missing parts on your AUTOart models. What about other qc related problems either?

#7 OFFLINE   jface

jface

Euro Car Collector

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

Ive never had an issue except my veyron logo... but i dont doubt anything i hear

#8 OFFLINE   Florin

Florin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

View Postjface, on 13 February 2010 - 09:24 PM, said:

Ive never had an issue except my veyron logo... but i dont doubt anything i hear
And I don't doubt that you were relatively issue free with your AAs.

My main concern is the bad reputation that AUTOart got within the last year or more is still not enough to make them improve. On the contrary, what do they do? Increase the prices!   :wavetowel2:

#9 OFFLINE   MED

MED

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

No doubt AUTOart has its problems, but out of fairness, the same topic thread could be established for every other manufacturer.  I've had plenty of problems with Kyoshos and Minichamps, including $140 dealer edition Bentleys.  There's a tendency to pile on AUTOart that I think is slightly unfair.    :wavetowel2:

#10 Guest_[KRAFTIG]_*

Guest_[KRAFTIG]_*

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:49 PM

View Postjface, on 13 February 2010 - 09:12 PM, said:

Posted Image

ROFL!

#11 OFFLINE   supercars

supercars

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,321 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and Cars
  • Favorite Brands:UT, Welly, Autoart, Kyosho

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

It is very frustrating to pay lots of money for a diecast, only to find it has problems. At least you can return it to the shops. Imagine what it would be like if it was shipped from overseas. http://www.diecastxc...tyle_emoticons/default/dizzy.gif
That's why I only buy the models I absolutely have to have from AUTOart. Or better still, buy alternatives if there is one (save on money AND headaches!).
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Florin

Florin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

View PostMED, on 13 February 2010 - 09:48 PM, said:

There's a tendency to pile on AUTOart that I think is slightly unfair.    :wavetowel2:
Did you see my list? No other brand in my collection has the issue frequency that AUTOart has. And what's more alarming is that (for me) those issued intensified within the last year. Can I be that unlucky or there is a pattern to be observed?

As I said before, I had issues with other brands, but were isolated...

BTW, tomorrow I will post the pics of the enumerated models from my original post.

:tongue4:

#13 OFFLINE   initiald

initiald

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,882 posts
  • Favorite Brands:BBR / CMC
  • Proud Citizen of:my

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:27 PM

Florin, sorry to hear all the issues you're facing. You buy all your models from the same place? Or around the same place? Perhaps the distributor in Canada gets crappy / discarded models from Autoart. This can be my only explanation. This or bad luck.

On another note, I never like the idea of asking someone who is unfamiliar to buy stuff for me (ok, granted this is a Christmas present). I'm always suspicious of dishonest shop people trying to push defective models to unsuspecting people.

#14 OFFLINE   Florin

Florin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:13 AM

View Postinitiald, on 13 February 2010 - 11:27 PM, said:

Florin, sorry to hear all the issues you're facing. You buy all your models from the same place? Or around the same place? Perhaps the distributor in Canada gets crappy / discarded models from Autoart. This can be my only explanation. This or bad luck.

On another note, I never like the idea of asking someone who is unfamiliar to buy stuff for me (ok, granted this is a Christmas present). I'm always suspicious of dishonest shop people trying to push defective models to unsuspecting people.
Well, you might have a point, because all but the 2 GT3 RSs came from local vendors. But I am definitely not the only one that buys AAs in Toronto.

I want to ask the people at the store what;s the deal with the AUTOart returns and if they see lots, when I go to return this 2nd 928. I just hope that it's not the store that loses money on these damaged crappy cars. in my opinion, AUTOart should take them back and stick them up theirs.

#15 OFFLINE   looney

looney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

View PostFlorin, on 13 February 2010 - 10:22 PM, said:

No other brand in my collection has the issue frequency that AUTOart has.

+1

i have hundereds of 1:18's and only really had problems with AUTOart

911S missing mirror
Veyron: paint chips
Veyron: paint Chips
Veyron: spoiler fell off
997 GT3: doors loose
Murcielago: Missing badge

and these are the only ones that i can think of right now, yes i have had problems with some others, norev Murci the rear view mirror fell off, and a maisto 993 was missing a spare tyre, but the number of faults in Autoarts is far higher than any other brand.

Edited by looney, 14 February 2010 - 12:16 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   ciprian

ciprian

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 681 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, Auto History, Music, Sports
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Highway 61
  • Proud Citizen of:ro

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:16 AM

damn, another one? i've heard of a lot of 928 with problems. the models released in 2008 are just awful, and the 928 releases are probably one of the worst.

the espada is also weak. besides the bumpers, the lower side panels are of plastic (the real care are metal) and the colour diference between the metal parts si too obsvious.
"If i can come up with a better mousetrap that is within the regulations, i ought to be allowed to use it", Jim Hall

#17 OFFLINE   Monster

Monster

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:41 AM

I haven't been lucky with my Auto art purchases as well

1st Bugatti Veyron:
Steering wheel 180 deg out of alignment, mysterious metal filling/residue left on right door, preventing the door from being fully closed. Engine cover does not really fit with the body

2nd Bugatti Veyron:
Patchy pant on driver seat, rear wing assembly was very loose, broke off after extending for the 2nd time.

3rd Bugatti Veyron:
Patch of silver paint on inter cooler pipe, rough edges on plastic side window, half of the wind screen wiper arrived broken.

4th Bugatti Veyron:
This one I actually kept, it only has a slightly loose side window and small paint chip behind the left door handle.

1st Lamborghini Reventon: Missing half of the engine cover support

2nd Lamborghini Reventon: Steering wheel slightly miss aligned.

1st Nissan R35 GTR Z2: Miss aligned bonnet

2nd Nissan R35 GTR Z2: Miss aligned headlight

#18 OFFLINE   johneli1

johneli1

• DX Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Mainly 1/18 Lamborghini diecasts but also Ferrari and any other super exotics!
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart/Kyosho

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:11 AM

I guess I've been lucky as I own lots of Autoart Models and have never had any broken or missing parts. I do agree that the quality doesn't appear to be what it was - I highlight the issue on the Yellow Diablo 6.0 with the mismatching shades of yellow between the plastic and metal parts. It's still a quality model with fine details but out of the box it just didn't seem as well finished as say the first silver Diablo VT I had from them.

In their favour I have to commend them for sending me photo etched emblems free of charge when I inadvertantly rubbed them off of my 1/12 Murcielago when polishing it!  :wavetowel2:

#19 OFFLINE   jface

jface

Euro Car Collector

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:28 AM

I highlight the issue on the Yellow Diablo 6.0 with the mismatching shades of yellow between the plastic and metal parts

I think the real issue of the 6.0 is autoart went to maisto and bburago for advice on how to detail the engine... how dare they make it a millenium series and f**k the dog that bad

#20 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2,206 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Proud Citizen of:bg

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:03 AM

First AUTOart - Bugatti Veyron concept - no issues.
Second AUTOart - Bugatti Veyron production - slight orange peel on the roof alongside a small scratch, completely stiff front right suspension, slightly misalingned engine cover (fixed), one of the air intakes for the engine fell off (fixed), the steering wheel misaligned after 2 turns, about a year later it fell off (fixed) and the rear EB logo started to peel (fixed).
Third AUTOart - still in the shop and probably will stay there for quite a while  :wavetowel2:

I'll be back
Posted Image
Clear the decks, the Rammstein tanker is once again under steam!
www.diecast-utopia.com
stuffedparty.com
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#21 OFFLINE   workhurts

workhurts

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorcycles and tennis
  • Favorite Brands:PMA, Kyosho, Exoto & CMC

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

To put things in perspective, I don't actually anticipate that a car will not have problems - I fully anticipate that it will.  I find that most people on message boards are uber or well informed collectors and that when you're talking $50-$100 cars our expectations differ from the general public, the sellers and most sane people.

I can't even begin to count the number of times I've gotten damaged cars, boxes etc.  My 1:10 GT40 had a piece of aluminum at the bottom of the box that took me about 20 minutes to figure out where it went to and re-glued it in place.  I've had damaged tow hooks on my 934s/935s.  One of my RS Spyders came with a smashed up box.  Half my Saubers had crooked wings.  The paint on the M1s is a nonometer thick.  The rear lights on the M1s like to fall off.  You want to talk paint?  I've given up on that.  If you look hard enough, you'll find a fault with every single model.

What do you do?  I send things back usually but it drains you and you eventually learn to live with little imperfections.

Welcome to club OCD.  What I've found liberating is just ignoring an issue for a day or two.  If I can live with it, it stays - if not well it goes back.  What I really wish would happen is for sellers, when told about the quality issues, to offer either a partial refund or a return on their own dime.  9 times out of 10, I'd just take a 10-30% refund and be happy but for some reason they seldom do that.

#22 OFFLINE   initiald

initiald

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,882 posts
  • Favorite Brands:BBR / CMC
  • Proud Citizen of:my

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

Nice summary workhurts. Yeah, I guess I work on the same set of rules. I have no choice but to live with slight imperfections (orange peal is virtually on every model except on the CMC 250 Testarossa and on my copy of the Autoart Veyron). I buy almost everything online. Not interstate type of online distance but half way across the globe.

Monster, where did you get your Veyron(s)? Online or at the local shop? Truth be told, if this thread were to come out 3 weeks ago, I would be doubtful pulling the trigger on the Veyron.

Anyway from the responses, I can only conclude at this moment that Australia and Canada are getting crappy Autoart models.

#23 OFFLINE   supercars

supercars

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,321 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and Cars
  • Favorite Brands:UT, Welly, Autoart, Kyosho

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

wow, that's a lot of exchanges with the veyrons Monster! I am lucky that my veyron is ok (no loose wing, orange peel, misaligned/missing steering wheel etc).
I agree totally with workhurts. I always ignore/forget about little imperfections. The only times when faults annoy me is when they are too big to be ignored!
Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   Evil Z06

Evil Z06

• DX Moderator
  • Pip
  • 4,950 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Whatever looks Tempting

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

You guys must remember orange peel is also on practically every single 1:1 car regardless of cost.

Evil Z06
Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   Superleggera

Superleggera

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, beer, Eric Clapton and fine leather jackets.

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

View PostFlorin, on 13 February 2010 - 09:16 PM, said:

I am really surprised to hear that you had no missing parts on your AUTOart models. What about other qc related problems either?
Actually, now it's been mentioned, I now remember that my Concept Veyron is missing its rear EB badge.  :wavetowel2:

As for other QC concerns, I've come to expect them from Autoart. Normally the moment the model comes out of the box something falls off. It's always been fixable with glue fortunately. Paint and windows I've never had a problem with, though my 917K does have an ever so slightly peeling decal on it, that unless I'm very careful with will someday probably come off.
My Profile
Posted Image
Jamie "The Soupy Leg"
Cleanliness is next to Inverness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use