DiecastXchange Forum banner

Tips on displaying your car model

8K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  bofleon 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A total of three sections, it's useful for car models collector!

( Part A )
After buying car models, most people like to display the model in their display cabinet, this can often enjoy, but also to decorate the home. (Of course, there are people who keep it mint in box under the bed, ha ha) There are tips on display your model !

(1) Do not use the traditional lighting
Especially the spotlight that look like a bowl, a small 35 watt would release much heat. Shine directly on the car models, it would damage the paint on long-term. Recommend you to use energy-efficient lighting, small, little heat, each only about 7 watts, it save lots of electric too.

(2) Vacant your car models
This is very important, especially long-term placement of car models. Because if the four wheel are on the ground, all the pressure of the weight on wheels, over time, the wheel axis will produce distortion. Suggest that you use coins or pieces of wood or acrylic block, the car models slightly padded, to prevent this situation.

( Part B )
(3) Add on doors for your display cabinet
Many collectors like to display their models on their display cabinet after removing the models from the packing, this may seems very convenient, and nice. But there are some people whose display cabinet have no doors, so the models will have dust over time, sensible approach is to load your display cabinet with a door

(4) Avoiding small childrens to contact the models
Car models should be placed out of the reach of children, or your children will play it as bumper cars, it is really a pity, unless you are willing to do so.

(5) Escape the bad luck of your models being stolen
People who collect car models, most of them scare inviting children as their guest, because if your friend's children loves the cars very much, you have to give them at least 1, then that time you'll probably feeling sad. Even if he didn't ask you to give him, just take out and play, you will also feel embarrassed to decline. The result of it will be your car models being crashed, it's very terrible. So, we recommend that you to put your car models in a environment that are furnished and elegant, it looks more valuable. In this way, it play an indirect role in the rejection. Other than that, your house also must prepare some toy cars that are ranged from RM10-20, in case the above method doesn't work, it'll do the job for them.

( Part C )
(6) Do not get too close to the window
Direct sunlight in summer are quite powerful, if you put near the window, the paint of your models will change and become lighter following the time.

(7) Keeping inside the box is not safe also
Many collectors like to keep their models inside the box because they feel it's safe, some due to spacing. It's actually not a good way to keep your models. According to some experienced car collectors, placing your models in the box, because no ventilation, it'll cause moisture accumulation

p/s:Copy from the net...may contain grammar errors

See less See more
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I keep my models in the box (certainly boxes of HotWheels Elite) and also I bundle the boxes with gelatin in order to protect them, too. Is my way dangerous for my models? This week my Mercedes SLS AMG by Premium ClassiXXs will arrive and because the box can't be used for display (like boxes of HotWheels Elite) I think that I should get a display case.... (By the way, are display cases safe?)

Thanks

#6 ·
99% of mine still live in their boxes, they're stored away from sunlight & dampness, some have been boxed for over ten years, all of them are fine - I do check them over every few months to be sure they're all good.
I do agree about the sunlight factor, that's a big no no, espcailly on older models like UT's etc as the windows eventually go milky & there's no way back.

#8 ·
"2) Vacant your car models
This is very important, especially long-term placement of car models. Because if the four wheel are on the ground, all the pressure of the weight on wheels, over time, the wheel axis will produce distortion. Suggest that you use coins or pieces of wood or acrylic block, the car models slightly padded, to prevent this situation."
guys what do you mean by that ,, any pics ?

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Very good tips I must say...

I keep mine in individual display cases inside 2 6' tall display cabinets so I say a big NO NO to dust. Also, my models do not rest on thrir wheels for the same reason above mentioned. The bottom rests on either acrylic or glass cut to size (3inch x4inch), this way the wheels are not touching the base of the display case and take the load off the axis.

I must say my models do see a little sun late afternoon (5 o'clock) for about 1 hour but they are located like 20-25 feet away from the window. I have a second story window in my living room which allows the sun rays to get in and hit the cabinets licated on the main level. So I was wondering how bad that is? Would I have to move my cabinets totally out of sunlight?

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
BTW, picked this one up about 2 weeks ago on Ebay for $20.99 +$15 shipping. No back window, missing 1 windshield wiper and trunk was not closing correctly. Bought the rear window for 3 Euros +10 shipping, had a spare wiper that I glued in and fixed trunk. Looks more than decent now, I will just have to blacken the kidneys due to light scratches in the chrome. Our DX fellow Igor - AudiRS6 - has offered his help in this regards.

#20 ·
G
#23 ·
Very good tips. I am currently shopping for a additional display case and must say it's not easy to find something that will serve the purpose well at reasonable prices.
We do live in a rather dusty environment, so the higher priced possessions are placed in a curio style cabinet. After reading this, some of the models will go on blocks to avoid the tire sagging.

However, I have a hard time finding the right cabinet due to the incredible prices in some furniture stores.
Now I am thinking to modify a book-shelf with doors and indirect LED lighting.

The models get dusted and wiped with microfiber frequently, however I am still unclear of what kind of wax/ detailer/wax to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.